Amicus Attorney Reviews

3.7

3.7

About Amicus Attorney

Amicus Attorney is a legal case management software solution to help you manage your growing law practice. Access every case detail in a single, intuitive solution. Automatically capture client and case information, track...

3.3
3.6
3.6
3.4

Browse Amicus Attorney Reviews

Hector
Hector

Reviewed on 30/01/2018

Amicus Attorney was my first legal management software. We both started together almost 40 yrs...

Pros

Permits me to practice law.
Amicus is easy to use and very intuitive. It's just clicking away, and getting things done. Now, I can be anywhere and use it from my tablet or a laptop computer if I am out of town

Cons

I was never able to incorporate Amicus' billing software so I continued to use Timeslips, and both work well together. Now that Timeslips is getting expensive, I may give their billing software another try. Perhaps now it is intuitive as Amicus Attorney.

Penfield

Reviewed on 25/07/2020

The new way to practice law

Overall I like Amicus. I looked at a number of applications, some less or more costly and settled here after talking with other attorneys who use a number of different applications.

Amicus helps you become more organized, particularly if you are in a smaller firm environment. It can also reduce your overhead by reducing the need for staff because of how it integrates information, particularly timekeeping and billing.

Pros

This program is a good integration of: document management for clients; contacts; task and deadline tracking; timekeeping; billing; and, an email program. The fact that it can be accessed online and via a phone app is a major plus. You don't have to travel with a laptop and can access all of your files anywhere.

The way it sorts emails, documents and everything else by client files that you can create is very useful in keeping you organized. Depending upon the settings you select, much of this is done automatically by the application. Multiple users can access and work on client files and immediately share their work with other attorneys in the firm. It's a very collaborative platform.

I like the integration with QuickBooks and truly appreciate the ability to work with operating and client trust accounts. However, QuickBooks is the only financial management program with which it integrates.

I have been at this almost a year and learn a new function daily that improves my effectiveness for clients.

Their technical support has been great. I am crazy about their support staff and can tell you this is a major reason that I have stuck it out through a steep learning curve.

I also appreciate the fact that it has an open forum where users can recommend changes and improvements. I am impressed that Amicus actually takes action on suggestions and has adopted user recommendations. This is a nice value add proposition.

Cons

There are some significant limitations.

The application integrates seamlessly with Microsoft Word but not at all with the WordPerfect suite of programs that many attorneys find to be the standard in the practice and better that their Microsoft counterparts. Amicus indicates that it is considering creating an integration with the WordPerfect suite.

Amicus limits users to 20 GB of space that is not much in this day and age. Expanding the account size within Amicus is very expensive. The application integrates with Dropbox, which is a more affordable option to add storage space. Yet, oddly, it does not integrate with Microsoft OneDrive. This is also a new functionality that Amicus says it is considering. When evaluating this program be mindful of this restriction as it can easily double the actual cost of moving to this platform.

Getting documents out of and putting them back into a client file is a bit cumbersome. It also takes time to learn how to save versions of the same document and the versions are not easily seen.

Moving emails around is a awkward. It is time consuming to select a group of emails for filing. Similarly, you cannot select an entire conversation on a subject, regardless of whether it is in your Inbox or Sent box, and place them in the client file. So, in some cases you need to clean both Inbox and Sent mail and place items in the client file. A real time killer.

I have found that the application times out or snags on occasion.

Dan

Dan's Ideas

Moderate. I loved Credenza. I use Amicus because it it is the least bad of the server-based options. I have often thought of retiring from law and working on a program that actually works the way lawyers do. The number one issue is the inability to have a workflow overview.

Pros

Easy to keep track of client info and who is who on the file, plus scheduling events

Cons

1. Document management sucks. I am sure that I am not the only person who keeps all documents organized in Windows subfolders. We should be abler to access and manage documents seamlessly and use that functionality in Portal.
2. Inability to create a workflow overview: we need to see status of file at a glance. The Chronology function is too cumbersome and is only chronological: not theme/category-organized. It does not tell us what is really going on in the file
3. Email integration almost never works well: multiple duplicate copiers for all recipients and not easily searchable.
4. Inability to immediately create letters to a contact ("person") on a file using firm letterhead. This should be a no-brainer but even your seminars can't teach us that.
5. Server version constantly crashing and freezing, meaning that all notes on the desktop are lost.
6. Notes are really hard to work with: impossible to reply to a sticky in a way that keeps a chain going and shows to whom the sticky was sent.
7. The custom pages function is really primitive

Top Amicus Attorney Alternatives

Peter

Reviewed on 22/07/2020

Our Recent Upgrade

Attorney Schaeffer and I chose Amicus Attorney for our firm many years ago when we went to a legal tech show and I think Amicus was first coming out. We have been through I don't know how many upgrades through the years.
My favorite version we have used was the one for small firms. That was our last version. It was easy to use. It had a great look to the program when you opened it up like having a file cabinet. For someone like me with dyslexia it was much easier to view the client page. To me the old version was something Steve Jobs would look at and have approved. It had a good feel and look. I used to like showing it off to visiting attorneys because it was so cool. This new one is just a program.
I like the way the documents open with this new upgrade when attached but other than that there is very little I like about this new one. It is a little more confusing to explain the process of inputting new clients. I write our policy and procedure book and I always want to make it so anyone could pick up the policy book and be able to use the program and put in a new client, attach documents, write letters, etc.
Maybe it was just that I was used to the old program but there were things that made more sense with it when explaining the process.

Pros

Amicus always trys to make a product that is easy to use and learn which this product is. I really like the way it brings up the documents to be able to see them once they are attached to the file. It is also easy to put in notes about the document. I review the medical records and put notes on the file.

Your tech people are always helpful and pleasant.

Cons

Unfortunately I have found many glitches with this upgrade that I do not like. One is when you are attaching a new person to the file you get choices from the contact list but there is no way to review the person to see if the address for that person is correct. We have doctors who work out of multiple locations. I asked someone at Amicus and they told me there was no way to do it. Our old Amicus program allowed us to do this.
Another thing was if someone else has the file open I can not cut and paste from the custom pages area. I prepare depo billing while the attorney is preparing the client and if the attorney has the file open I can not cut and paste info from it.
Also because most of us have older eyes we need the resolution made larger on our computers. This distorts the info on the people on the file. You can not see all the phone numbers or the e-mails.
Another thing is there any way to make the program use fax numbers with out the ( ) on the area code number. We use ring central for computer faxing and it takes twice as long to try take the () out and put a hyphen in when copying and pasting into our outlook.

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Amicus Attorney

For the cost, it is a good program, and it allows all attorneys and paralegals to both communicate and keep track of the status of all cases.

Pros

this program is excellent for keeping track of cases, clients, court dates, to-do notices, escrow accounts & billing.

Cons

When closing elements of the program, one has to be careful not to inadvertently close the entire program on the user's computer. There is no warning that you are about to close the entire program on your computer. While the escrow (trust) account feature is good, it has limitations. It cannot interface with the bank, so auditing the account is a manual procedure. Also, the escrow function is limited to a case by case report. The program does not give the user an overview of the entire status of all escrows )in a separate report.

Clint C.
Clint C.

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Amicus Small Firm was Great...until Abacus bought them

Abacus must be in real financial trouble because now they are employing callers who threaten old Amicus customers with risk of data loss or hacking if you continue to use the old Amicus Small Firm Edition. Thank goodness the old program still works great. These callers are really obnoxious and unprofessional. I will never buy anything from Abacus software. I really miss the Canadians with the old Amicus company.

Pros

The old Amicus Small Firm edition was THE BEST database system for small law firms until Abacus bought the Canadian company that created Amicus. The old program was easy to learn and use. All of your data remained your data on your computer. No cloud requirement. It interfaced with e-mail and Time Slips. The pricing was good... everything was really great for the small firm law office. Customer support was the best; nice Canadians answered all of your questions. I really, really miss the Canadian company.

Cons

When Abacus bought the company they eliminated the Small Firm Edition. They tried to force everyone onto their platform. They went to monthly billing for maintenance and they could terminate your data if you failed to remain with their captive service. I refuse to use a "Cloud" based services because of the risk of hacking. In addition, Abacus almost doubled the price of the old Amicus maintenance plan. I will never do business with Abacus.

Gregory
Gregory

Reviewed on 7/02/2018

Tech support is slow and usually never calls back

Pros

I like the overall software. However, for the cost, the accounting side is lacking, and the tech support is horrible. For the price of this software, I expect more.

Cons

The cost and the tech support. If you are going to double the cost of the software, you should at least have good tech support. The last couple of times I have called in I was told my issue needed advanced technical support. I have still not had a call back, even though I was promised a call back in 24 hours. I have had to hire an outside consultant at my expense to fix this problem. I have difficulty justifying paying a monthly subscription fee for this horrible support. I would love an answer to this, but when I ask on tech support calls they have no response.

Haley

Reviewed on 15/06/2023

Pretty Good Product

My experience with Amicus has been good and I've never had any real issues with it.

Pros

The ease of use is the best thing about the product.

Cons

The look of the program seems a bit outdated. Also the formatting of the invoices when you print them is a weird.

Response from CARET

Hi Haley, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled to hear that our platform has been easy for your firm to use.

Replied 2/08/2023

Reviewed on 2/02/2018

Pros

Keeps records of everything through one program. All my correspondence/ communication, contact info, file info, documents, timekeeping, calendar, etc. is tracked through Amicus. It's like a "one-stop-shop" deal.

Cons

I try to keep the People (contact list) cleaned up, i.e. consolidate multiples or delete them. My People section looks fine after I "clean up" but no one else's is, because, each User has their own module/domain. Just wish that when I make those types of changes it would be effective for every User.

Jeff

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Excellent software

Some frustrations here and there, but benefits greatly outweighed the issues. The best thing is that I can sleep at night without waking up wondering about this or that case. Really has improved my professional life and hugely improved my personal life, because the software really ties up the loose ends.

Pros

Handles all aspects of a law practice: (1) contact management (2) file management (3) document management (4) communication management. I love having everything at my fingertips.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind. Works pretty well.

Heather

Reviewed on 15/01/2019

Great Client Management Software

Even despite the update issues, I think this is a great program and is extremely helpful in managing client files.

Pros

The best feature of this program is that it links all information to the client file. You click on the client's file and you can look up all timesheets, communications, appointments, events, tasks, deadlines, etc. This is an invaluable tool in the legal field!

Cons

The main complaint I have about this software is that it requires periodic updates which is fine in and of itself, but it is a huge process to update. Customer service gave me an instruction sheet on how to update the software and stated they do not help with the update. When I reviewed the instructions, they were only something an IT person could do. We are a small firm and I'm the one who does the computer work. I would say I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to computers, but the upgrades are extremely technical and definitely require IT. They did eventually do the updates for us after we called and complained and asked how they thought regular office people (not IT) could get through the instructions. This was my biggest issue with them.

Response from CARET

Dear Heather,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Amicus Attorney.

Here are AbacusNext, providing quality products is very important to us, so we're very glad to hear we're delivering on that promise.

Would it be okay with you if we post your review on our website?

Feel free to reach out if you're interested in being part of a case study.

All the best,

Katie Ternes
Marketing Coordinator
AbacusNext
(858) 882-4882

Replied 21/01/2019
Richard

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Updates usually break things and do not fix things. A part I used over a decade ago still not...

Overall it is okay. I have not changed to another program due to the disruption and cost involved however, I am not sure I would but this product if just entering the market.

Pros

It helps keep everything in on place on a file and client making it easier to find. It is helpful in tracking your time so you can accurately bill your clients. It is good fro conflict checks which can be done in a minute or less if you keep information current. As with any product it depends upon you to keep the information correct and up to date.

Cons

Since being bought out by Abacus the tech support has dropped. Most issues my be upgraded as the person answering the telephone is doing nothing more than searching database as you can here them typing. When they do an update it generally does nothing but appearance changes while causing other features not to work. It also causes other prormas like Quickbooks to break.

Margaret

Amicus for Small Law Firm

Cloud Amicus Online. Generally good. Customer support has been decent. Occasionally access is slow during particular times of day. This can be annoying if one is trying to upload/download large documents or use email during these delays. Would like to see maintenance schedules published so we would know when to anticipate delays. Would also like to pre-release information and a users' organization set up to provide feedback for new features and revisions to old ones.

Pros

Product is generally intuitive. Email, phone, task, calendaring, contact management, and document management, time keeping, expenses and billing are well integrated. New client portal is very usual.

Cons

Client portal features need to be expanded to allow cases (files) to have finer level of access control when multiple clients within a file require different levels and different document access. We would be more inclined to use document templates if we understood them better, in particular setting up logic driven variable paragraphs. Security controls relative to document folders need to be expanded to allow different levels of access for different levels of users. E.g. I should be able to delete and rename folders I create, but without admin privs, not delete/rename folders created by others. Would like to see editors incorporated into document management instead of requiring that these be done off line and then uploaded.

Sharon

Reviewed on 25/04/2023

Case Management Companies are Ripping Us Off

I liked it a lot and used it since about 2001 or so, until they went to subscription. Now I still use my standalone Amicus Attorney program and continue to hope that it holds up over time.

Pros

Amicus Attorney was a wonderful program back when you could actually purchase the software. Great time and billing functions, great calendar and client/contact management, and just great overall legal case management. Then they switched to subscription only, and it basically quadrupled my overhead cost.

Cons

It was only about $399 or $499 per year for the first user license before it became a subscription, and you could get away with upgrading ever other year. Now an annual subscription is ~$828 per user, and you have no choice but to pay that every single year if you want to use the program. It’s highway robbery. Also, integration with Quickbooks has always been a bit rough, but it’s manageable once you figure out the quirks. I refuse to subscribe as the pricing is way too high. Now that they have all gone this route, there are few (if any) good and AFFORDABLE case management solutions for very small firms.

President

We capture a lot more billable time and central data provides easy case history. Someone can catch up on the file just by looking at history of events.

Pros

Cloud based availability everywhere. Invoice generation is simple. It is LEDES compatible.

Cons

Freezing/speed/connection reliability. Program will oftentimes cause you to lose an e-mail in the midst of generating it.

Reviewed on 28/07/2016

Critical software for my law practice

In 1996 I introduced Amicus Attorney software to my small law firm, and I still use it today as a sole practitioner. I consider Amicus to be "mission critical" software for my practice, allowing me to keep my files and clients and contacts organized with the seamless link to Microsoft Exchange and Outlook, my time under control and properly recorded and synced to my PCLaw accounting software, and my documents at my finger tips with the Amicus link to Dropbox. Amicus Attorney allows me, as a solo practitioner to stay on top of practice and to compete on a business level with lawyers having much more extensive back office support personnel.

Pros

The best thing about Amicus Attorney is that everything about my practice is in one place: my contacts, my files, my calendar, my time, my emails and my documents - and I can access it all in my office, in my car, or half way around the world, as I did last March while in Australia (and the customer support is awesome!)

Cons

Frankly, there is nothing I am unhappy about with Amicus.

Martha

Reviewed on 3/01/2020

Amicus Attorney

We ended up switch because we found our company was not using everything offered by Amicus and the frustrations of the staff with it transferring information into QuickBooks.

Pros

Opening files in Amicus Attorney and keeping notes in a center location was a great feature to keep the files organized.

Cons

Amicus Attorney often found trouble transferring information to QuickBooks whether it was due to updates with Amicus or with QuickBooks. I also found the support often took days to return calls to help with an issue or sometime would not call back.

Response from CARET

Dear Martha,

Thank you for taking the time to review Amicus Attorney. We value your feedback as we're always striving to improve in every area.

We're glad you found the file and note features useful, but are sorry to hear that your support experience was less than ideal. We take pride in the many integrations we offer, and will look into the QuickBooks sync.

All the best,

The team at AbacusNext

Replied 10/01/2020

Reviewed on 17/03/2020

Was a good product before purchased by Abacus

We are just waiting out our contract to leave. The billing problem described above makes the program absolutely unusable.

Pros

The layout is attractive, and it has a lot of features and reports that are useful. It integrates fairly well with Quickbooks.

Cons

This was a good product before Abacus purchased it. Now they don't support it and it has terrible glitches they don't know how to fix that make it nearly unusable. Our billing software requires INDIVIDUAL printing for each bill now - hundreds of clients each month - taking up dozens of hours of staffing time to get bills out. Each month. They have offered no solutions. There are other issues, but that is the worst one. Also determining current balances is challenging, and the program messaging function is poor.

steven

Reviewed on 17/09/2018

Amicus Review

I like amicus however I don't use a lot of its features. I have been a user for 20 years and still need dropbox as I could never figure out where or how to store documents within the Amicus files. I like the ability to track court dates and the notes that occurred in court.

Pros

The ability to put in the notes that allow me to recall the details of a case years later.

Cons

It isn't apple compatible without the Cloud. I tried to transfer to the cloud years ago and I had too many files and your staff was unable to complete the transfer. Gavel and Gown upgraded me to the server edition and I have been using it with a parallel program that is very slow. Also sometimes Amicus becomes disconnected from the server. Now Amicus wants to charge me a 300% increase to upgrade to the personal server. The cost is prohibitive for a small firm like mine.

Cymry

Reviewed on 31/01/2018

I enjoy the function and possibilities. However, the customer service leaves something to be...

Calendar, file maintenance. easy access to electronic file. easy note-taking and tracking.

Pros

We use this software everyday and relay on it predominately for scheduling and file upkeep.
We love the ability to log phone calls, share notes and the ability to quickly access important data about the case. I personally also love all the functions and options we have within the software.

Cons

Customer service always makes us feel like we're bothering them, frequently ignores our input or opinions. I often feel like they're talking down to me - even if I show them that something unusual is happening, they act like I'm over reacting and I should just deal with it. Its very frustrating and makes me feel like I should change services to a company that wants to have my patronage

Ann

Reviewed on 25/07/2018

Customer service is great. Response to issues are handled quickly.

I am able to print labels, conflict check, do calendars, etc. in a much more time saving and efficient manner.

Pros

The database features for entering client data (i.e. name, matters, conflict check) in criminal cases and ability to run the reports we need, as well as the calendar. Also, love being able to print labels from the database.

Cons

Too many features that our firm will never use. We are a small firm and don't need linked forms, exhibits, etc. Maybe Abacus should offer the product with the ability to customize the product with items the firm will actually use. I know of several law firms in the area, including my previous employer that stopped using abacus because of all the new add ons and changes. Everyone really loved the older version.

sandra
  • Industry: Law Enforcement

Reviewed on 20/09/2018

I have recently received great tech support and have resolved many problems that we have been experiencing. I'm looking forward to many more updates.

Pros

I like being able to capture all of my client information - I really like the upgrade drag and drop option for folders and documents. I like being able to print a summary for each file

Cons

We were told at purchase that we would be able to create the reports that we were needing to create at that time. This info turned out to not be true unless we added another software to create these reports, Amicus would not create on its own. I do not like that there was no support for our initial set up, and because of that I do not believe we are utilizing the software to its full potential.

Amy

Reviewed on 30/01/2018

I don't use it as much as the paralegals in our office. I am the bookkeeper, so my usage is...

files database

Pros

links to calendar and people easily, Sorts alphabetically and by matter number so you can easily find a file. I am the one along with another co-worker, who opens the original file. I like that it doesn't take long to set up a new file. I like how you can see many options, such as time spent, rate, AR, Trust, people associated etc.

Cons

not easy to fix mistakes, even as an administrator. Can't close some files and don't know why because it says user name and ID are already taken. Support isn't great. When we have tried to get an answer, can't get anyone on the line right away, no follow up except email, which is exactly the same as I looked up in help topics and didn't work

Thomas

Reviewed on 2/02/2018

Thousands of contacts and thousands of files and all within reach

Pros

I've used the program for 15 - 20 years. Changes have sometimes been challenging but all has been for the better. Support has always been quality and faster access is making it even better.

Cons

There are always a few things that could be better on this program as on any other. I've just been working with the library and found that to be cumbersome. I'm not sure I understand the document saving - I save my Word documents and use File Explorer to manage the libraries I've set up there. I don't understand how coordinating these with or putting these into the Amicus Library is beneficial. It looks like putting them into Amicus doubles up my save process.

Reviewed on 6/11/2017

Unreliable. Will shut your practice down one day per week.

It works great, on the rare occasions it actually works.

Pros

Program is easy to use. Has features fitted for its intended purpose. If it worked, I'd really like it

Cons

simply put, it doesn't work half of the time. If you want to spend billable hours watching the status bar spin, and spin, and spin, this is the program for you! If you enjoy sitting on hold for hours, waiting for support staff to answer, then finally tell you that there is a glitch in the system, but they'll have it up and running in no time, this is definitely the program you want. Conversely, if you want to work on a consistent basis with a program and works as hard as you do, better pass.