About Pirate Ship

Pirate Ship is a cloud-based shipping management solution that helps small businesses manage and streamline all processes related to purchasing and printing of shipping labels. The centralized platform lets users search shipments,...

Browse Pirate Ship Reviews

Jonathan D.
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 11/09/2021

Argh! Pirate Ship Is a Treasure!

Pros

We have been using Pirate Ship for labels for the past two years and have had a very good experience. You get labels at a discounted rate quick and easily.

The support team is awesome and pretty quick, they are always making pirate-related puns.

Cons

Since there is no monthly subscription fee like their competitors, support is not as comprehensive but still, their fun energy makes up for it.

Shippo

Alyssa P.

Reviewed on 16/12/2021

Love pirate ship

Pros

I like that i can ship items out for my business and i don't have to pay a monthly fee. I was with another company for years and you had to pay a fee. I like this company because you don't. I also like that they try to get you the cheapest shipping rates possible.

Cons

There is nothing that i don't like about pirate ship.

Reasons for Choosing Pirate Ship

There was a monthly fee for stamps.com and there is no fee for pirate ship.

Reasons for Switching to Pirate Ship

There is no monthly fee for pirate ship and they try to get the best possible rates for shipping.
Crystal R.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 23/02/2019

Print Shipping Labels at Commercial Rates

I had seen a lot of good reviews about Pirate Ship, so I decided to give them a try. I needed to print 12 labels for orders I needed to ship. Pirate Ship was extremely user friendly when I was entering the information for the label. I had an issue with one label and had to request to void it. I had no trouble doing so. When I was finished with the labels, I was able to easily print them out and print a SCAN sheet as well. The clerk at my local post office does not require the SCAN sheet, but it makes shipping a large number of packages much more efficient. I liked that I was able to see a list of the labels I had printed with the tracking numbers. I could click on an individual tracking number and quickly get the status of the package. At that point, I considered making Pirate Ship my go-to shipping service. However, I had noticed when purchasing postage, I did not see an option to pay for all of the labels at the same time as I had experienced with other services. The next day when I went to use my debit card, it was declined in spite having sufficient funds available. I called my bank and learned that my card had been looked for fraud due to Pirate Ship processing an individual transaction for each label.

Pros

I can print one or many labels. There is no subscription fee. The interface is the most user friendly I have experienced. I can easily print a SCAN sheet to go with my labels for ease of shipping. I can see the status of my packages without having to look up each individual one on the USPS website.

Cons

Pirate Ship charged my debit card individually for each shipping label that I purchased. The one day I used it, I had 12 labels. This resulted in 12 individual charges to my card and caused my card to be locked due to a fraud alert being placed by the bank.

Response from Pirate Ship

Ahoy Captain Crystal!

I'm so sorry to hear you had trouble with your bank locking your card :(

Just head to Settings / Payment Method and set a "Minimum Payment Amount" to load your account balance up, instead of paying as-you-go ;)

If we can ever help out just let us know, we're always available on chat or email!

ARRrrrr,
Pirate Ship

Replied 26/04/2019

Top Pirate Ship Alternatives

Jennifer B.

Reviewed on 19/10/2021

Pirate Ship seems to have a Easy Button for Shipping Management

PirateShip has saved me so much money, time, and nonsense. No monthly fees. Great reporting features.

Pros

Everything about PirateShip is easy including accessing support when you need it.

Cons

I wish it was integrated with CommentSold - that is on my wishlist.

Randy S.
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 18/12/2021

Pirate Ship Saved my Sanity

Pirate Ship saved my Sanity and saved me money. You cannot do better than that.

Pros

I spent weeks trying to understand my options with USPS shipping so for a given shipment I could compare the USPS price with UPS to see which might be better.

I have just about given up after studying the rules, regulations, restrictions, and pricing of USPS but ended up more confused that I started. If USPS tried to make it impossible to understand their shipping services, they could not have done a better job of making their shipping process unintellible even to the brightest person.

UPS is easy to understand, but the rates can sometimes be onerous.

What I discovered quickly by using Pirate Ship is that first, they untangle the confusing nonsense with USPS.
Once you input the details of your shipping package, Pirate clearly gives you all the USPS shipping options, so you can choose from the options presented.

Secondly, you're offered discounts on USPS and UPS retail pricing. I was pleasantly suprised at the price for UPS shipping. My first shipment, a 2 pound package traveling 1400 miles to Zone 6 saved me $3 over standard UPS shippping rates.

Well, if you ship a lot, soon $3 per shipment can add up to REAL money!!

As it turned out, UPS was only a few cents more expensive than USPS. Given the terrible delivery record of USPS, this was easy choice. I shipped UPS.

But, without Pirate Ship, I could never have untangled the USPS options and would not had access to the UPS discount. I cannot say how pleased I am with Pirate Ship!! Try it!

Cons

So far, I've not discovered any CONS. As far as I can see, there are only Benefits to Pirate Ship.

Guadalupe G.

Reviewed on 14/12/2021

Fast and Reliable Mail

I love it. It has made my life so much easier and convenient. and also the lives of my clients too, making those trips to the post office faster.

Pros

I love that I am able to print and ship any package and envelopes from the comfort of my home or office. I do not have to go to the post office to drop off packages or pay for any labeling and shipping. I love that I can offer that mail service to my clients as add-on service to my clients.

Cons

I only dislike the fact that I cant sort by date on the labels created and sometimes missed them when looking for a particular label.

• Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 9/12/2021

Excellent First Impression

I found out about Pirate Ship because of shop.app - a company I ordered through sent their label using this service which showed in the app itself. After some quick research, I decided I would test run Pirate Ship with some Christmas deliveries I need to make (I was dreading the line at my local USPS). Incredible experience - happy I found this service and I will be absolutely adopting it for all of my shipping needs in the future, including for my company when I need to send out deliverables to clients. 10/10 definitely recommend!

Pros

First off, this software is essentially free. The website is clean and simple and very easy to navigate. I had my first 3 labels created within 10 minutes of signing up. So far my favorite things are PDF download for label printing, multiple label options for paper and/or stickers, the ability to save package dimensions, the ability to carry a balance for easy budgeting (and saving steps with multiple shipments).

Cons

I would like the ability to save an address, not just a package. However, you can easily copy addresses from past shipments. I would also like the ability to add multiple shipments to one purchase without choosing spreadsheet import or integration. With minimal use as a new adopter, I have found few if any actual flaws for my purpose.

Ann A.

Reviewed on 12/01/2022

If you ship, check it out!

Pros

Pirate Ship is so easy to use...very friendly to all. It has been an incredibly reliable way to deal with shipping product to my customers!

Cons

I think that most of the functionality that was previously missing has since been added!

Allison M.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 14/12/2021

Wouldn't use anything other than pirate ship

Pirate ship has saved me so much time of waiting in line at usps and has saved me so much money also. It is easily 25% cheaper than usps on any given package and all I have to do is drop it off at a usps drop box. So very simple.

Pros

This is the quickest and easiest way to ship packages. The ability to make a shipping label is so easy and the tracking of it once you ship it is efficient and easy to read.

Cons

I don't think there is anything I dislike about this

Gabriella G.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 12/12/2021

helps me with my small business orders!

it's been such a breeze and so perfect for me

Pros

i love the customer service. it's always fast and helpful. i love the pirate slang its so fun. creating a label is a breeze

Cons

there's literally nothing i didn't like it's so great!

Kelly P.

Reviewed on 14/04/2021

Cheap Shipping, Excellent Customer Service

Overall I had a great experience with Pirate Ship and their customer service is top notch!

Pros

I run several ecommerce websites and I needed a shipping software that would pull orders in from each place, and some marketplaces so that I could run an efficient shipping department. Pirate Ship did that for me. Unfortunately, there was some sort of server level firewall issue with one of my WordPress sites that started blocking the connection. The Pirate Ship customer service team was amazing! They spent a lot of time helping me figure out the issue and explaining what was happening. In the end, it was something my ISP needed to fix and they weren't able to isolate the problem so I had to switch to a different shipping software. I was sad because it's rate to find a company that goes above and beyond like the Pirate Ship team did. I'm hoping I will be able to use them again in the future.

Cons

The issue I had wasn't with the software but with my ISP. It was blocking the connection and kept dropping the feed of orders.

ShipStation

Reasons for Choosing Pirate Ship

I initially made the switch because stamps.com had monthly fees and the interface was clunky.

Reasons for Switching to Pirate Ship

Pirate Ship did not have monthly fees and the shipping prices were good.
Shannon A.

Reviewed on 9/09/2020

Pirate Ship is changing the game!!!

Was researching shipping label printers to buy, saw a review/how to video about PirateShip, went to the site to see if it really was free. Saw they had also recommended the label printer I was interested in. Once said printer arrived at my home and I set it up I went straight to PirateShip to give it a try. BECAUSE I had a feeling it would truly be the easiest way to test out the new printer and it was. It was so easy! I went from messing around to getting all my orders labeled in one sitting.

Pros

This is my THIRD time writing this review because Capterra keeps freezing at the end and then deleting everything I wrote. So if the fact that I'm writing this again because I think PirateShip is so great and deserve all the extra work, isn't proof enough of my love for them then I don't know that my words ever will be.

What I like most, is the ease of use, the affordability, the export rate for international shipping, the customer support with their punny pirate quips and funny gifs. All of it!

Cons

Cons? No cons, there are no cons here. Unless you DON'T like fast, genuine and proactive customer support, in which case, let's be honest, your life is the real con here.

Sarah P.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Best Shipping Software for Small Businesses

Overall, best bang for your buck! No monthly charges and you still qualify for commercial shipping rates.

Pros

For USPS shipments, this is by far the best software I've used for my small business. No monthly fees and I still get discounted shipping rates equal to other shipping software systems. Additionally, they offer Priority Cubic, a rate that the previous shipping softwares we used didn't offer. Easy to set up, easy to manage and easy to use.

Cons

The only downside is their API integration into some big platforms. They offer Ebay, Etsy and Woocommerce among others. However, they aren't setup to integrate with Amazon. Not a huge deal, more like a minor inconvenience as it requires you to cut and paste to do a single label. Again, not a deal breaker for businesses on multiple platforms unless your entire business is on Amazon.

Philshaunda A.

Reviewed on 15/02/2021

LOVE LOVE LOVE

I absolutely love pirate ship and have recommended it to several of my friends who need to ship stuff.

Pros

Easy to navigate and ship products. I also love that I have the ability to track packages to see when they arrive to their destination.

Cons

I always seem to get tripped up on how to add a group of addresses to ship stuff to. I am sure this is user error though.

ShipStation

Reasons for Choosing Pirate Ship

Stamps.com was charging me to use the service, even if I didn't ship anything in that month. It was horrible.

Cost, and ease of use.
Bonnie A.

Reviewed on 1/02/2021

So Far GREAT GREAT GREAT

So far so good. I love it.

Pros

Same Discount pricing as the Pay For Shipping Companies with more features and no monthly service fee. Hidden Postage, scan sheets, Scheduling pick up. Transaction History with Balances, Top States you ship to, availability to add funds and have them auto add when low. Be sure to use this feature so you won't have a lot of little charges to your credit card. Great Customer support, very fast and super friendly. On Labels, you can print out and if you have a problem with printer, you can also download the label, Or use reprint. On Stamps.com If I could only use reprint once. Then charge again. Pirate Ship is only for USPS, however if you need to ship UPS, UPS rates are cheaper if you use UPS.com and use a coupon code. Cheaper than I used on Stamps.com. After over 10 years with Stamps.com I've had enough with bad customer service and problems. So Glad I found Pirate Ship!

Cons

I love all the features, nothing I like least

Joseph K.

Reviewed on 26/08/2021

Love Pirate Ship, Rrrr Matey

Overall, experience has been great. Customer service is responsive and downtime is only limited to USPS. Have recommended to colleagues.

Pros

No monthly fee, customizing of labels (especially generating return labels) is extremely easy. Saving templates also saves us a lot of time.

Cons

Does not integrate with Zapier. Once it does, I will have 0 complaints or suggestions.

Shippo and ShippingEasy

Reasons for Choosing Pirate Ship

Price, ability to print return labels easily.

Reasons for Switching to Pirate Ship

Ease of return label printing.
Jackie M.

Reviewed on 29/06/2018

Very happy to have found PirateShip ; suits my shipping needs extremely well.

Etsy marketplace has changed their billing system to pay-as-you-go. I would rather prepay via Credit or Debit Card to earn rewards with my card. This was the impetus for finding PirateShip and it is suiting my needs very well on a daily basis.

Pros

- It's FREE!
- You get the same great postal discount the marketplace sites are hyping as their 'exclusive user rate' without being tied to their site's billing protocol.
- It IS, however, integrated with the big marketplaces, so you can import your orders directly from them to PirateShip to use PirateShip's labels.
- You get a dashboard on your home page that shows all your purchased labels, sorted by recency, and it includes the name, tracking number, delivery date and time.
- Site supports many printers as well as older Zebra thermals, like the popular LP-2488-Z.
- Customer support is fairly quick to respond via the Chat interface. (usually within 5 minutes).
- You can prepay in an increment that YOU select (and there are number to pick from) , or pay as you go for each shipping label. And you can check your balance anytime in the Reports section.

Cons

- Slight learning curve in how to use the site. I fumbled my first label by allowing PirateShip to use the specs that came from the Marketplace and the weight was incorrect. Now, I am more observant and watch the weight before I print the label.
- If you choose to import the customer data from Etsy, PirateShip will automatically send the tracking number back into the Etsy transaction so you don't have to. This is great - except when you make an error on the shipping label and need to cancel the label and buy a 2nd one; there is no way (at this time) to delete the incorrect label information from the 1st label. It might confuse the buyer on Etsy, and you may have to write an explanation to them if it does.

Reviewed on 22/10/2019

Great for small businesses

Pros

Pirate Ship was suggested to me because I was getting frustrated about shipping costs outside of paypal and PayPal has started to restrict your use of their labels unless the transaction went immediately through them. As an artist who sells merch, this was frustrating. Pirate Ship has comparable rates which is awesome, and their interface is much easier to use. PLUS, I found out they have microshipping for Global shipping, where they can activate much lower rates for your international order. To my knowledge, they're the only free shipping site who can do this.

Cons

My only con is that the global shipping perk is something I had to figure out from a friend and message them about as it's not set by default nor is it easy to find information on.

Reasons for Choosing Pirate Ship

PayPal didn't let me ship products that weren't sent through them.

PayPal Invoicing

Pirate Ship is free.
Brian M.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 10/03/2019

Make your other shipping portals walk the plank

Incredibly responsive support, always on live chat, and they manage expectations (we are back in 10-15 min, here are some limitations, heres the company roadmap). Really a fantastic company and set of guys, and I'm excited to see where they take this company.

OR, in pirate speak,

Ye mateys always be hoisting a flag when we bring the ship in for repairs, always have a pirate posted to scribe out answers when we leave our brains out at sea, and keep us happy when we are ready to make people walk ye old plank. Great set of plundering fools who deserve all the grog and mead and wenches available, and am excited to see where they cast anchor in the future with the shipping ship, as we would follow them across the seas to plunder where they go!

Pros

Ease of use, and savings. Hands down doing side by comparisons, there are significant savings. Also, being able to use the cubic priority function of USPS has been a breeze, and I don't have extra steps to confirm for "delivery." One recent shipment was ~$150 on another platform, and <$100 on PirateShip.

SCAN forms for EOD are super easy to find and print, and have made my life a breeze.

The individual tracking right now for packages really goes above and beyond what I have seen in the past, and really like the interface on a package level.

Cons

No real funcitonal complaints, and definetly nothing that would make me change.

Just my $.02 from using it, and this is mostly because I'm lazy:

- Push notifications when packages have been delivered in browser or through notification center (personal preference)
- App for on the go tracking (personal preference, since I'm not always at the office)
- Amazon integration, but I have reached out to the team, and it should be released soon. Again, I'm transferring things manually, but the time it takes to do it manual (just a few min) REALLY makes it worth it when I saw how much time I was saving.

Truman P.

Reviewed on 18/05/2021

The best

While it is either the least expensive or tied for least expensive, the ease of use makes it my first choice for printing postage.

Pros

Very easy to use. Plus: it has an auto-fill on address: you type in part of an address and it shows all the possibilities for the correct complete address. If one matches the one you're looking for, you can have it automatically fill in. This is particularly useful for the sometimes-confusing addresses in England or Japan.

Cons

No problems - no complaints; I can't say anything bad about it because I can't think of anything bad about it.

Much easier to use

No cash outlay
Coty T.
  • Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Outstanding product with the best customer service!

Pirate Ship has made bulk shipping, single shipping, and international shipping a breeze! Customer service through them is second to none, and I would highly recommend everyone to give them a chance!

Pros

First and foremost, I love the cost. Pirate Ship offers THE BEST prices around to ship, even compared to eBay and PayPal shipping costs when I ship through my store. The customer service is the best you can ever ask for. During the sign up and registration, they were there for me nonstop, every step of the way to make sure I had all of the help I needed!

Cons

There aren't many cons about this company, aside from sometimes the prices aren't cheaper, but only by a few cents to a dollar in difference.

Reviewed on 19/09/2018

I used to hate shipping labels now I love them, and save money while at it!

Ever since I started shipping with Pirate Ship I started saving money, by far, period. They have a variety of discounted rates not available through Ebay shipping labels. I can't believe how much money I literally threw away with Ebay labels. I have been using PS for about two years now and I remember only having an issue with an international label that for some reason didn't appear on my orders list, well I contacted PS and in minutes, literally minutes I had a real person (with eye patch and wooden leg I assume) in a chat window and informed me that Ebay was having some issues with International orders. Every time I have needed customer support they have been there for me. I always insure my shipments, I have only once had to make a claim because USPS was rough with my packages and the PS staff assisted me all the way through with the claim and it all got resolved to my satisfaction.

Pros

Easy of use like no other I have tried before it. It simply works, never crashes, always shows my orders as it should.

Cons

no support for FedEx, only USPS, which is fine as I mostly use USPS but it'll be nice not to have to use the overly chaotic FedEx website.

Jonathan T.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 8/02/2021

Perfect solution for small, home-based users

I've always shipped through USPS click-and-ship (simple at-home print, but $$$ and no FCM), or PayPal (lower rates, cumbersome interface), or ebay (low rates, good integration, but only for ebay). I was unwilling to pay monthly rates for occasional or low-volume FCM, most times I would just pay the higher Priority rate for the convenience of not waiting inline at the post office. Pirate Ship has me finding things to sell and ship, just because it's so easy. Thanks for your money saving "insider" tips, and simple yet comprehensive interface.

Pros

Setup and initial use was totally intuitive. The ebay integration was dead-simple (the only one I've used so far). I love the pass-through savings for FCM and priority with no per-month cost. And their videos/tips on how to save $$$ for novice shippers (I'm one), adds immediate value and lowers the bar for entry of new shippers.

Cons

A very minor feature request that only emerged after observing just how useful their "reports" tab is. Would be great to customize the reports dashboard to only display (or change the order/layout) of the data fields that are most important tot he individual user.

Reasons for Choosing Pirate Ship

Waaaay simpler and better rates.

Reasons for Switching to Pirate Ship

No subscription fee or specialized equipment needed.
Rob R.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 29/11/2018

Ahoy Mate, this be the finest Ship in ye postal yard!

I absolutely adore Pirateship and what it offers. Everything is well thought-out, it has efficiently-producing features (intuitive import mapping, rubber stamps, per-label tracking, end-user notification), the business model makes it *FREE* for end-users to use.

What's not to like? I'm so thankful this company/product exists!!! YAY!

My parrot, Simon, agrees. (as he lifts his head high, and declares "I am a pirate... ARRRRRR!")

Pros

1 -- FUN!! I smile every time I sign in!
2 -- Saved profiles -- it remembers your frequently used profiles to make one-off shipping simple!
3 -- Shows all options to find the best rate, applying Media discounts, and estimating times!
4 -- IMPORT Mapping -- that works! Although it doesn't do well with multi-tabbed worksheets, it imports single-tabs great, with an integrated field-mapping interface to make multi-order shipping so simple!
5 -- Automatic Per-Label Tracking! Their system, behind the scenes, polls USPS tracking data, so for your batch shipments you can see what % has been delivered, and where each individual package is! BRILLIANT, useful, and well thought out!
6 -- RUBBER Stamps! Labels can have custom "rubber stamps" (text) that prints on the label. We use this to help describe what goes in each package during our packing process.
7 -- Recipient Notification -- At a designated time, it'll automatically e-mail all the recipients to let them know a shipment is coming.. sweet!

Cons

- Would like to see support for multi-sheet excel workbooks.
- Would love to be able to print my own JPG/PNG logo in the return-address section

Michelle K.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 31/07/2021

Absolutely Love Pirate Ship!

Overall, Pirate Ship is the only shipping service I would use, despite the fact that they don't integrate with Mercari. In the past year and a half that I have been using Pirate Ship's shipping services, I have had no problems and have saved tons of money from their discounted prices. The convenience and ease of use has played a vital role in the ultimate success of my store. The pros outweigh the one con, and because its a free service, you can't beat it. I have been using Pirate Ship's discounted shipping labels for all my shipping needs, and don't plan on changing that anytime soon.

Pros

Pirate Ship is not only the most useful software I use for my business, it is also free to use which is a fantastic opportunity to experience professional shipping at no cost except for the cost of postage

Cons

I wish they would add more online marketplaces to their integration list. I ship more with Mercari than any other marketplace, and they are one that doesn't integrate with Pirate Ship so that is frustrating