Float Reviews

About Float

Float is a collaborative resource management software for real-time project planning and task scheduling. Features include an intuitive interface, drag-and-drop features, keyboard shortcuts, reports, and analytics, and editing...

4.2

Browse Float Reviews

1,597 of 1,597 reviews
Adam
Adam

Reviewed on 27/06/2022

Solid Product

It's helped us grow a lot and help more people. It's really helped us spend less time doing admin work and more time doing real work and helping people. It takes some getting used to and commitment but it's beautifully designed, intuitive, and a big part of our success.

Pros

How easy it is to use. It's easy to jump in and also complicated enough that you can really use some advanced features.

Cons

There are of course small issues here and there but none worth mentioning at all. It's truly a great product and really helpful.

Response from Float

Thank you for your review, Adam! Excellent to hear that Float is saving you time on admin work so you can do more of what you do best!

Replied 1/07/2022
Hattie
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 29/08/2023

Great software for Designer

Great

Pros

To visually schedule a whole department of designers, which is easy editable

Cons

I find the reporting a little tricky when there are archived members. Also similar to when purchases are pro-rata for new users added part way through the billing cycle, it would be better if credits were applied for users removed part way through the cycle too

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Float

The others we're more expensive, and this was more specific to our needs
Varsha
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 14/06/2024

Float is in the air

Pros

Float has a fantastic UI and extremely easy to use
It also caters to specific team types like consulting while recognizing the work we do for external clients

Cons

It could have a better project search functionality. It is a bit glitchy

Top Float Alternatives

Laura
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 5/09/2019

Great value. Lots of potential

I've been using CETA scheduling software for the last 4 years in big VFX companies and I must say that Float is not there yet but is actually getting broadly comparable. In the last 4 months that I introduced it into my new team it's proved to be quite useful to keep track of the progression of our projects. During these months I've seen that it has already improved in many areas that I'm excited to see what comes next.
I can see it can become a really powerful software.

Pros

There aren't may softwares that let you schedule a team in such an easy and organised way.
I think most softwares nowadays are too complex and make you spend more time organising tasks than actually working on them.
Float is so clear and simple you can actually use it to manage big projects without spending too much time on it.

Cons

It's getting better, but it would be very useful if we could:

- Right click on a pencil and be able to copy it over into a different person.
- Book more than one person on the same project (for example if two workers are on the same project because one of them is doing a training but you don't want to charge twice for that time).
- Lately when I try to schedule more than 1 project in one day on the same person I get a message saying I can't schedule anyone for more than 24 hours) even if I'm not exceeding the 8 normal working hours. It'd be great if that could be fixed.
- It'd be good if milestones were more visible.
- I think reports should be a bit less complicated and more visual.
- It'd be really helpful if you could group projects up in folders when you go to the Projects tab as at the moment we have like... 45 different projects going on and although we color code them it's difficult to organise all of them.
-I'd like to have more than only three types of view when looking at our schedules a part from 'Days, 'Weeks' and 'Months'.
It'd be great if you could 'Archive' users as well as projects. So when a worker it's not working at the company anymore and you don't want to pay for it on Float you can kind of 'Archive' him (so you are not able to book him on anything but still you can see him on the boards so you don't loose what it's been scheduled on him.)

ShotGrid , monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Float

Monday has too many tools that you don't really get to use when scheduling. It also doesn't have an overview of projects as clear as the one Float has.

monday.com

Reasons for Switching to Float

Its the closes to CETA software that we could find. It's good value for the price it offers and it's very intuitive and flexible.
Émilie-Jade
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 16/04/2024

Love Float !

Pros

Time management. Collegues and managers can know when i'm available and what bandwith i have.

Cons

Nothing that i can think of. I like every aspect

Thomas

Good experience

Pros

We were previously working on a competitive solution. Compared to other solutions on the market, Float is affordable and allows you to use the tool to its full potential. You're not drowning in a ton of functionality and that's what I liked about it. The ease of use for users and the ease of management for administrators is very satisfying.

Cons

Perhaps the most annoying thing about Float is the ability to export a schedule for customers that is easy to understand. The statistics section could also be improved so that we can compare the time spent (and internal costs) against what has been sold (with the costs sold).

Tichaona Redemptor
Tichaona Redemptor

Reviewed on 19/02/2024

A powerful resource management, planning, and scheduling software

Extremely educational, easy to use even for a first time user

Pros

Forecasting Budgets: Accurate resource planning is essential for budgeting. Float helps you manage capacity, plan projects, and forecast budgets effectively. It’s like having a financial advisor for your project resource.

Cons

As a Software there is no free version or trial version that do not require you to enter your banking detail

Reasons for Choosing Float

I was trying to check all software that deals with project management

Reasons for Switching to Float

It seems user friendly it has easy to use tools
Alessandro
Alessandro
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 28/08/2023

MID-SIZE CREATIVE TEAM (20 ppl)

Pros

Float is a powerful tool that can help the managers to make sure the team is not overloaded (or underloaded :) ).At the same time we have a clear vision if we, as a team, we can take more projects to work on or we have to raise our hand because we are in difficult

Cons

Visually could be more appealing. User interface is easy but it could be more eye-catching for the creative team

Resource Guru

Reasons for Switching to Float

The opportunity to have a mobile app and a time tracker

Reviewed on 28/08/2023

Easy Ressourceplanning tool

We're using it for three years now and intend to continue doing so.

Pros

This tool does exactly what its supposed to do for our Purposes. We are very glad to use it. On of the best features is the automated e-mail for the colleagues at the beginning of a sheduled week.

Cons

From our perspective there is likely nothin in particular to dislike.

Masterplan and JIRA Service Management

Reasons for Switching to Float

Its cheaper and covers exactly our need of having a simple and intuitive ressource planning tool
Kenneth Krogh
Kenneth Krogh

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Float - Nice tool for team management

Pros

It is a very visual tool, I love the timeline graph where you can easily filter down the resources on both person and project tags.

Cons

It is rather simple and I would like some more options for tailoring the product to our specific needs, like setting monthly cost limits and including more visual options on each project.

Jonathan
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 5/08/2019

So Glad I Found this Software!

Overall, it has been a value add to the way we do things. We were using Google Sheets to schedule and calculate bandwidth before and the limitations were severe. I'm thrilled that we now have an easier and more attractive way to plan work!

Pros

I like the ease of use for bandwidth calculation. Before Float, it would be very difficult for us to understand Trainer occupancy, and it was also a challenge to schedule trainings far in advance over several regions. With Float, I can see what's coming up at a glance and provide accurate reports to stakeholders so that they know how busy we are and will be. At the end of the quarter, I can easily calculate and show how much time we spent, and on what.

Cons

For my specific use, access can be a challenge. I need something between "Project Manager" and "Member." For me, it would be ideal if there are a "Department Manager" role where people who had this level of access could modify the schedule for anyone in their department, but not see or edit the schedule of other departments.

Davy

Reviewed on 2/08/2019

Excellent tool for team scheduling and follow-ups

Our company went from 1 to 5 people in the past year. We also have interns or students that are only here for a while. We now have a tool that allows us to follow up projects and team schedules in a very clear way without creating big overhead costs. It works fast and efficient for us.

Pros

Easy to use. We can view the schedule of the entire team in one screen and make instant changes if necessary.

Cons

When creating tasks, the difference between creating projects and clients can be annoying. Also: provide more colours! ;-)

Teamleader

Reasons for Choosing Float

Google Sheets was becoming to complicated to follow up billable hours, tasks and schedules. Float brought all of those together for our team.

Reasons for Switching to Float

Google Sheets was not efficient anymore. Teamleader had too many features for our current needs and would have created more overhead costs.
Agata
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 22/08/2023

Float - good tool for capacity planning

Overall, it's a very convenient & reliable tool from a project manager's perspective. Some changes would be helpful, but in general it is a massive help in resource planning and I can't imagine working without it.

Pros

It is a great tool to be integrated with jira - it works well for our team, it's a seamless, smooth integration that helps us estimate time & choose the right resource for any jira tasks. It is also easy to follow by the users who are marking tasks "complete", adding comments, mark bookings as tentative. All very clear and transparent.

Cons

The integration with google calendar doesn't work that well. Some of the bookings are wrong / outdated / are not being updated / duplicated / not being displayed in a correct project or are missing. Luckily, the support team is open to help with this kind of issues. Also, the annoying feature is that the "View in jira" link doesn't work for duplicated bookings. It doesn't work well for our team as more people use the same tasks on jira in different time. It's impossible to search using the jira ticket number (you have to know the ticket name). Also, ticket numbers are not displayed in the “Task” field- that causes some confusion because we work with tasks with similar names.

Christian
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 17/01/2019

Float Review

We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it.
WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pros

Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there.
Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task.

Great job, keep it up!

Cons

Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

• Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 1/08/2019

Great Visual Tool for Resource Management

We've been able to better project planning times for business needs coming in. When we know how long something takes via Float, we're able to give clearer milestones to our clients and we can manage our internal deadlines better. When you're able to take a quick peak at Float and see what someone is working on for the next few days, it's a more efficient way to manage resourcing expectations internally and across business units internally.

Pros

With Float, I love that you can make instant decisions on capacity management. I can assign someone a scheduled task and easily move the task back and forth between two team members if needed. It's a great visual tool to see how long people are spending in a certain area and to help plan ahead for the future. It gives a full visual picture of capacity and resource management, which can be hard to do. I love that you're able to assign color coding and different notes to each project, so you can monitor the health of the project properly and understand how many people are actually touching it.

Cons

Sometimes, there are some small glitches that happen, where you make an update and it either disappears or adds additional time to someone's schedule (making them fully at capacity). There aren't many cons to this application other than that because sometimes it can just take a lot of refreshing and some rework because sometimes the refreshes can cause a loss in information inputted.

Shriya
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Great for

Pros

How visual and easy it makes talent scheduling for our client services business! It's really intuitive in terms of its UX/UI and means that the information is shareable and understandable by everyone. It's actually created positive reliance for the business where it's become the single source of truth about who is working on which project/ away on hols and for how long, so that teams can effectively plan the best use of people. Especially as we work on multiple projects under the same client account, the tags are super useful as while we might be working for Client X, project A and project C might have completely different briefs and people scheduled on them to complete.

Cons

Probably some of the toggling features when you try to filter people across multiple departments.. It's not a massive issue, but one I am struggling to nail.

Reviewed on 11/02/2019

Program Manager using Float

We are using Float in our organization to manage resource allocation and we have been using it for the last 3 years. It has been mostly great and enhanced our resource allocation amazingly and provided great visibility into resourcing across different programs and into the future. We use Float to track Holidays and vacation across all regions (worldwide), we use it to forecast allocation and revenue across the team per each project. Permissions are straightforward and allow us to control what we want. We can keep projects as tentative while awaiting for the contract and still allocate people to provide visibility into anticipated resourcing load. Overall Float has been great for us and I would recommend it to any organization providing services and focused around resourcing their team. Float has been constantly evolving and you can notice the difference and improvements rolled out weekly if not daily. Thank you for your work Float team!

Pros

- Easy of use
- Performance
- Interface
- Good visibility into my resources and their load

Cons

- There were couple glitches and numerous updates in January but that is resolved now
- Previously performance was not great, but there are great improvements recently on that part
- Adding holidays could be easier
- When grouped by project I'd like Float to show all assigned project for people, not only specified project

Mel

Reviewed on 16/08/2020

Good for visibility

Pros

Easy to use and it's simple to scroll backwards to check your historical or upcoming bookings. As a user it does all I need it to do.

Cons

I've previously used Synergist which was great for production resources as all the bookings automatically pre-populated timesheets ready to add hours and submit. I'm not sure if Float has this functionality but our organisation uses separate systems for both, and I find it does add a little more effort to time logging.

Response from Float

Hi Mel,

Thanks so much for your review! We do have a time-tracking add-on feature in Float that pre-filles your team's timesheets based on their work schedule. You can check out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

All Float customers are welcome to a free 30 day trial of the feature. An Account Owner can activate this from the Team Settings inside Float.

If you'd like a demo or have any questions about how time tracking works, please feel free to email us at [email protected].

Thanks again for the review!

Cheers,
Siobhan

Replied 10/09/2020

Reviewed on 24/08/2023

Use daily, love float!

I find Float super easy to use, I genuinely think I'd be lost without it. I'm a visual personal and I love how Float is very visual and I can see everything upcoming in a way which works for my brain. Definitely a good platform for any ND people!

Pros

Easy to see forward into weeks ahead for project planning and resource planning. Can easily see when my team hit the limits on hours per day to see when a project is going to need additional resource called in.

Cons

I don't think there is anything I don't like about Float.

Teamwork.com

Reasons for Switching to Float

Visually much better and better UI.
Yevhenii
Yevhenii

Reviewed on 22/08/2023

Great tool to manage your team

It helps manage my team's work

Pros

UI is excellent. I like it very much. I am very comfortable managing a team's work as well as my own

Cons

In the past, I said that the logging button is hard to find on the navbar. Now this button is clearly visible. I'm grateful to Float for listening to customers

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Choosing Float as a communication tool means choosing a pillar of agility and attractiveness...

What do your employees expect in terms of corporate communication? Employees no longer hesitate to use their personal tools and applications for professional purposes. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working within a digital, agile company that is increasingly extended to its external ecosystem. Collaboration and communication tools promote new uses and new ways of working in a digital, agile and increasingly extended company to its external ecosystem.

Float as an internal communication tool makes all this possible, bringing managers and employees closer to the company and meeting their expectations in terms of information. Fun, practical and functional, Float has become for me an indispensable managerial tool, both to explain the company's strategy and to highlight my results. It also allows me to motivate my colleagues!

Pros

I find that the features already present are exactly what I need for my start up: the possibility to call each other via Chrome browser is a plus.
The mobile application is really very useful and makes Float easier to use. Not only does it allow me to continue to follow the threads of conversation wherever I am (in a meeting, on the road, anywhere), but also to send attachments (images, records, etc.).

The integration with other applications is very ergonomic: I use Jira and Confluence a lot and the widgets in Float are very responsible as soon as I import a link for my collaborators.

Cons

I'm a fan of it, I find that it is not lacking in functionality, but if I ever change my mind, I know that the customer service department will welcome my remarks and suggestions with kindness and professionalism.
However, I do find that the possibility of not having to change browsers and make or receive calls from Mozilla would be great.

Anna Maria
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 24/06/2022

Very easy

Pros

Easy of use, minimal UI, Non technical people can use it.

Cons

You can't easily write on a task. You can't limit the hours of workers.

ClickUp

Trello

Response from Float

Thank you for your review, Anna Maria! Great to hear that you're finding Float easy to use.
To limit a person's hours, try adding custom hours: https://support.float.com/en/articles/28934-set-individual-custom-hours-and-work-days

Replied 1/07/2022
Guillaume

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

Long terme planning tool

Always have a good view on my team's future.

Pros

In a blink of an eye, I can see who's busy on what, and for how long. It let me give a clear idea of planning for upcoming projects, see who's available for it and who's on holiday. Also, it let me check if we take too long to finish a project or not (by setting up a budget forecast).

Cons

It would be good to integrate other tools like Yadera or Monday.com. Also, I'd like to have an easier view on days split into different tasks (one per day is really clear, but as soon as you have 2-4 tasks a day, it's harder to read).

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Float Application - One of the best resource managment tool

Overall, it's a time-saver tool for our team in the organization as it centralizes a lot of task with transparency.

Pros

One of the things I like best about Float resource management tool is that it allows you to centralize your people and project data. This means that you can easily see the availability, workload, and skills of your team members, as well as the status, budget, and timeline of your projects

Cons

A few points on which float needs to work:- It has few API integrations that work- It has limited reporting and forecasting features or maybe I need to look into it myself.

Jira

Reviewed on 22/02/2021

A solid system for smaller teams

Great system, great team. There is a lot of very good positives for Float, but I can see there is still room to grow, but I have no doubt the team at Float will progress this in time.

Pros

Float is incredibly easy to use and integrate into smaller teams. Visually straightforward, it gives you quick and simple answers to essential resource-based questions and allows team members to see what work they should be progressing and when in a tidy calendar view. In addition, there is an easy link between time in the calendar to projects that can be managed quickly.

Cons

I do find that compared to some other systems, a level of detail when it comes to finances and budgets vs resource is missing. Whilst you can get some very top-level detail, the ability to link actual time spent versus project budgets is a little simplistic and could be expanded upon to really drill down into more detail to provide better overall reports.