ISL Light Reviews

About ISL Light

ISL Online is a remote support solution for virtually all industry verticals including healthcare, information technology, universities, government, and banks. The solution supports Windows, Mac and Linux operating systems. It...

Browse ISL Light Reviews

Matevž
Matevž

Reviewed on 28/05/2020

Easy set-up, does the job

While some services were overloaded during the COVID crisis, there have been no technical difficulties with ISL. The service is robust, intuitive and works well.

Pros

There is very low overhead with this software, users don't need to install anything and remote support can be up and running within half a minute from call.

Cons

Running services or applications with elevated privileges on the remote computer is a bit of a hassle.

VNC Connect

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

The 500 minute plan is an excellent deal for occasional support.

Reviewed on 19/12/2023

A solid product for quick remote support

Much better than we expected for the price, has done everything we wanted it to and more, although there are always areas for improvement.

Pros

Excellent value for money!
Very easy to transfer files, just drag and drop.
Quick and easy to access unattended machines.
Secure with multiple password layers.
Once deployment is set up, it's quickly scalable.
Concurrent user pricing model is much better than per user.
Customer support is always available and helpful via online chat.

Cons

Unable to see any info about unattended computers such as the username of the logged in user, or a screen preview.
Deployment is a little fiddly, it would be easier if you could just download a customised MSI without having to wrap up the commands.
There is no easy way to transfer existing ISL clients from one support provider to another.
Sometimes the client needs restarting to get all features working again (especially Ctrl+Alt+Del).
Product names are a little confusing, which version do users/customers need to install?
No easy customisation options with company logos etc.

Reasons for Choosing ISL Light

Cost for a growing business was too high with other competitors.

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

Unlimited unattended clients. Concurrent user pricing model. Value for money.

Response from ISL Online

Hi James, thanks a lot for your detailed and valuable feedback! It's great to hear that you had a satisfying experience with ISL Online.

Joshua
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 17/05/2021

It's almost perfect.

Pretty good the sales team were very good the development team could be a bit better at responding to customer needs and issues.

Pros

Hosting the software ourselves is very comforting as we don't have to rely on other servers if it goes down we are to blame. Reading the customer the ID is very nice versus the other way around as it helps prevent errors and gets read at a consistent rate. Also being able to email and transfer the session is very helpful. The software file transfer is the best I've tried much faster than the competitors.

Cons

A couple of things that I wish would be improved would be. When comparing to Teamviewer, ISL is considerably slower; if you have them sitting side by side, you will be able to complete tasks almost twice as fast with Teamviewer. When opening UAC within Windows, there is a considerable delay in displaying the Yes and No prompt that doesn't happen with Teamviewer. Multiple monitors work pretty well, but once you get past three monitors, the software starts to fall apart. It's even slower. Also, sometimes, it won't even show dialog boxes in the large zoomed-out view that exists when using Teamviewer. You won't see all the monitors at once, so you will need to toggle each monitor until you are on the right one. Switching monitors is also a drag as it's also very, very slow to display the content of each individual monitor. I've been told that one of the reasons for ISL slowness is that it is more secure than Teamviewer, and while that might be true, I wish they would give the End User the option to have faster speed/less secure or slower speeds more secure.

Cost savings.

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

Cost savings, self-hosted solution, I wish I could say more but until they fix the issues these are the only advantages.

Response from ISL Online

Hello,
the delays you are experiencing in a session where two computers are side by side, in comparison with TeamViewer, is due to difference in how the sessions work. With ISL Online, every session goes through a dedicated ISL server, making such a connection much more secure - in comparison, TeamViewer connections are peer-to-peer, so the session is established directly from one computer to another, with no server inbetween. This opens the session up to potential security issues. In cases where the computers are side by side, you may find the ISL session has a slightly higher delay, however in most cases, where remote computer is not next to the operator's computer, the session should not have any more delay than a TeamViewer session.

For the multi-monitor issues you are experiencing - we have created an internal ticket to improve this functionality!

You're always welcome to contact us through our live chat at www.islonline.com.

ISL Online Support Team

Replied 10/06/2021

Top ISL Light Alternatives

Jason

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

Remote Access Using ISL Light

Excellent, i can not operate without ISL LIght. This is key to my business and enables me to easily provide remote support to my Clients.

Pros

ISL Light is very easy to setup and use. My Clients have very little difficulty in allowing me to gain control of their screens. Now that i can access multiple screens at the same time i can be more productive and keep on top of my work load.

Cons

Nothing, ISL LIght does evething i nedd to run my business.

Response from ISL Online

Hi Jason, thank you for your feedback, we are happy to read that ISL Online is helping you with your work.

Replied 6/03/2024
Stuart

Reviewed on 19/12/2023

ISL The best remote support tool.

Its my most important support tool, gives me fast remote access to all my exisiting end users and any new ones too.

Pros

It is fast, reliable and great value investment for my business, i could not operate without, have tried many other remote support and remote access tools this offered the best performance and value for money

Cons

To date i am yet to find any fault or issues with ISL, i am very happy with the product

Response from ISL Online

Stuart, thank you for sharing your valuable experience with ISL Online! We're delighted to hear that you find the ISL remote desktop software to be an excellent tool for remote access and support!

Thomas

Remote access brilliance

Exceptional, reliable consistent and an essential everyday working tool

Pros

It's so simple to deploy and gain access swiftly regardless of application type

Cons

Easily being able to identify client installations that are superfluous - old ones that have been left inactive for some time that potentially need removing

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

Overall functionality, costs and with a smaller firm that actually cares about support

Response from ISL Online

Hi Thomas, thank you for your feedback, we are happy to read that ISL Online is helping you with your work every day.

Adam

Reviewed on 19/12/2023

Avid Daily User of ISL for 5+ Years!

Amazing. The best remote solution I have used.

Pros

ISL is extremely easy to deploy. It is versatile and works on pretty much ANY OS. I use it daily on Linux (OpenSUSE) and Windows.

Cons

We need a flatpak and/or snap package! Very receptive developer.

Response from ISL Online

Adam, thank you for sharing your experience. Your review is a source of motivation for our team!

Brian
  • Industry: Investment Management

Excellent, simple and effective

Pros

It’s easy to deploy and manage remote devices.

Cons

The interface while connected to a remote device is a little clunky.

LogMeIn Pro

Reasons for Choosing ISL Light

Cost primarily, but also wanted something simple that did exactly what I want it to do and no more.

LogMeIn Pro

Response from ISL Online

Brian, thank you for your feedback!

Werner
Werner
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

ISL Remote for optimal Network support

We use ISL for several years already and the overall benefits of this product makes that we continue to use it. Even on a Phone or Tablet we can remote access the connected systems.

Pros

The ease of use makes it perfect for daily use. It works perfect even when we are logged in to multiple systems without any loss of speed.

Cons

It would be better is we had an automatic way to create a report, of even a quick report of the system.

ISL - A great tool for remote access

Overall it has been an incredibly useful product for the price and has assisted with many projects recently.

Pros

ISL is fast and responsive to remote onto client machines. Easy to add unattended machines and share access internally.

Cons

ISL is lacking some features of higher-profile remote tools such as NinjaRMM or N-ABLE RMM. However this can be overlooked with the price and value for money.

Response from ISL Online

Hi, thank you for your input!

Nigel

Reviewed on 3/07/2019

Use ISL Remote Desktop to perform Remote Support

We have been using ISL for around 5 years, and it is the mainstay of our ability to provide remote support to our clients. We have also been able to allow users to access their own computer when working away from their desk using some of the tools provided by ISL, which makes the product a hit with our clients as well.

Pros

The ability to group users together, to easily assign who on our support team can access which computers, and the ease of transferring files from ourselves onto the remote computer. And perhaps the greatest value is that we can set up the various parameters in a command line executable, so we don't need to set them up by hand every time.

Cons

It can sometimes take a few minutes between the user providing access and it appearing as an available remote system on our console

Reasons for Choosing ISL Light

LogMeIn changed their pricing algorithm, and it meant that we were going to be charged up to 800% of our renewal to carry on using it. We have actually found ISL to be just as good at a very reasonable cost for our operation.

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

At the time, Teamviewer was priced based on the number of named users, whereas ISL was priced on the number of simultaneous users, regardless of who they are. This better suits our operation. It also is a more secure product, as the remote software is tied in to our license, whereas with TeamViewer, anyone can log on to the remote computer if they have the password. We are always concerned with the security of these types of products, and we consider this to be a safer approach.
Parry

Reviewed on 16/11/2021

IT support worker using ISL daily

Overall, ISL has been a pleasure to work with and has been an essential tool to support individuals and businesses, especially during the COVID lockdowns when so many people moved to working from home. Whenever I needed support in the early days of using ISL, I found the online chat facility to be excellent, quickly answering questions and resolving my issues.

Pros

Integration ISL with our existing business was very straightforward. I appreciate being able to have multiple sessions open simultaneously. I particularly liked the pointing device, monitor switching, video session recording, and chat facility which remains on the customer's screen even after the session has ended. Being able to transfer files is great and the functionality to be able to switch so that a supported customer can view my desktop has also proved useful on occassion.

Cons

Working with apple devices can be difficult but there are some good guides on the ISL website to help navigate the settings and permissions that need to be granted by the client.

Christian

Reviewed on 2/05/2022

First choice if you want to host it yourself and are willing to make minor sacrifices

Remote IT consulting and IT services can be carried out easily with the software, including the good feeling of having the infrastructure under your own control

Pros

The friendly and helpful business support, the open ear for suggestions for improvements, the possibility of running the software inexpensively on your own servers, the automatic session recovery when a remote-controlled PC is restarted (very useful!), the cross-platform use of remote maintenance (Linux , Windows, macOS, Android), The update mechanism of the ISL AlwaysON module (comparable to TeamViewer Host) from the client works excellently

Cons

Unfortunately, some comfort functionalities that you are used to from e.g. TeamViewer are missing, the software (ISL Light Client under Linux) also likes to crash from time to time, the operation and the designation of menu items is rather "technical" in some places and not intuitively understandable

AnyDesk

Reasons for Choosing ISL Light

Privacy concerns, poor business support, TeamViewer doesn't offer a cost-effective way to run a "self-hosted" solution for remote maintenance, TeamViewer got way to expensive over time (I was also tricked into yearly updates) and it totally relies on centralized infrastructure

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

Because it is the only software on the market that can be operated inexpensively on its own server

Reviewed on 24/07/2020

ISL Light has streamlined our business.

ISL has always been a pleasure to deal with. On the VERY few ocassions we have had an issue it was resolved quickly with knowledgeable support staff. I would highly recommend ISL for 'always on' connections and help desk support. We use the performance details often to help diagnose our clients problems, all integrated into the ISL platfrom. Brilliant!

Pros

ISL Light is easy to implement and integrate into our website and daily business tasks. Our clients like the ability to have transparency when using the software and the tools it enables us as business to help them with.

Cons

A more lightweight client installer would be good but this is a small request as most clients can connect with our instructions over the phone.

RemotePC

Reasons for Choosing ISL Light

Team viewer was just too expensive for our small business and we found it was not always reliable.

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

We liked the features of ISL and the pricing, although not the cheapest, was very fair for the service offered.
Tony

Reviewed on 5/05/2023

Gives me the control I need always.

It gives me the ability to reconcile all the bank accounts of my client companies regularly. It allows me to handhold any of the staff if they need guidance when they need me. It allows me to produce Company Management Accounts in a timely manner.

Pros

The ability to access my client companies whenever I need to. Even when I am inside the Arctic Circle. The reassurance it gives my client companies that I am always there when they need me.

Cons

I cannot think of anything that needs improving or gives me any problem.

Response from ISL Online

Tony, we appreciate your feedback very much!

Brian

Reviewed on 13/10/2022

Cross platform, bullet proof remote support software.

As a sole practitioner, this allows me to support customers from anywhere I have internet. I can get away to the sun for a month in the summer and still support my customers.

Pros

Integration to my website. The user interface is intuitive. Ability to reboot without losing connection.

Cons

The Pallava in connecting to a Mac the first time (this is more abut the MacOS security)

LogMeIn

Reasons for Choosing ISL Light

For more reliability and great support.

Zoho Assist

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

Price was a factor as was simplicity of use and the end user experience.
Mario
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 18/01/2023

For me the best remote control application.

Pros

Very fast and efficient, we have been using it for 10 years and honestly for us it is essential in our daily work to support and maintain our customers. We have not considered the change at any time, it evolves little by little and adapts to the new versions of operating systems without stopping working on the old ones. We would compare it again.

Cons

I have found absolutely nothing that could make me consider changing this software for another of the competition, it performs its function amply.

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

The main reason was the price at the time, right now I would not change it for teamviewer.

Response from ISL Online

Mario, thank you for your feedback and your long-time trust! It's nice to know that you've been with us for 10 years!

Steve

Reviewed on 5/04/2022

Every day tool

I use it regularly to either show or see what a problem clients machine is doing and then get in and fix the issue without travelling to site.

Pros

Relatively easy to use and does all that I need as far as cutomer support is concerned

Cons

It is not always that easy to get a client to actually install it - not helped by the browsers constantly changing the download location. Neither is it helped whan asking a client what browser are you using - usual answer os google.

Reasons for Choosing ISL Light

ISL was faster and easier to implement

UltraVNC

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

Cheaper than teamviewer - anydesk seems to be the tool of choice for the scammers.
Valentina

Reviewed on 31/01/2023

ISL Light - A Convenient Remote Desktop Solution

Overall, ISL Light is a great tool for remote support. It's fast, reliable, and easy to use. I definitely recommend it to anyone in need of remote desktop solutions.

Pros

I've been using ISL Light for remote support and it's been a lifesaver. The interface is user-friendly and the connection is super fast. I love that I can access any computer from anywhere and resolve issues quickly.

Cons

The pricing is a bit steep for smaller teams, but I guess you get what you pay for. Also, there have been a few instances where the connection gets laggy, but it's not a constant problem.

Response from ISL Online

Hi Valentina, thanks a lot for your valuable feedback and recommendation!

• Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 13/06/2023

Excellent tool!

Very pleased, will not be moving away any time soon

Pros

Very easy from a admin/technician perspective, easy to invite an end user for support session. Easy for end user to understand how to get the session started. Always reliable and stable. Responsive user experience much better than many other screen sharing / remote support apps. patching the on-premise server is very easy and pretty much automated.

Cons

very little not to like, initial setup was a little tricky for the on-premise version (documentation is very good though)

TeamViewer Remote and Microsoft Teams

price and performance were better with ISL

LogMeIn

price and performance were better with ISL

Response from ISL Online

David, thanks for sharing your experience! We're glad to see ISL Online fulfils your needs.

Kyle

IT review of daily use

Great to use for anyone in the IT profession.

Pros

Its ease of use
Quick remote desktops to multiple clients
Easily deployed to all my clients and end user machines
Filtering of clients on the ISL page
Search feature

Cons

Screen quality can be hit and miss but not a major issue
Connection speed can be slow sometimes but i guess thats also attributed to the speed on the clients end

Response from ISL Online

Kyle, thank you for your feedback!

In response to your feedback about connection speed, we're pleased to share that we've introduced a Direct Connection feature in ISL Light, which significantly improves the connection speed compared to routed connections. ISL Online now automatically selects the most efficient connection method, either by directly establishing a session tunnel between the local and remote computers or through a routed connection. Whichever method is used, rest assured that all connections are protected with symmetrical AES 256-bit end-to-end encryption, meeting the highest industry security standards. To learn more about the Direct Connection feature, please click here: https://www.islonline.com/whats-new.htm

Replied 13/03/2024
Dario

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Easy and convenient, perfect for remote support

We have never had a problem using the software. Installing the server side on premise has been easy and their support is always great.

Pros

This software is perfect fot Remote IT support and IT services, plus having it on premise makes it feel more reliable.

Cons

In some scenarios, it can be difficult for a remote user using MacOS to enable all the necessary privacy policies to make the software work.

TeamViewer Remote and GoTo Connect

Reasons for Choosing ISL Light

MacOS support and on premise server

Supremo Remote Desktop

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

Less expensive and installable on premise
Klemen
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 20/04/2022

Klemen's review

Pros

The product is really easy to use and implement and as the time passes by, we didn't have a single issue to report.

Cons

Not sure at the moment. Maybe the picture quality in some cases, but it is not that important as long as the work is done.

Christian
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 11/10/2019

Fast and not bloated

Remote management of external PC players for digital signage software for 500 players at different locations.
A key success factor in delivering our service.

Pros

Fast and reliable software for controlling remote computers. All functions you would expect like file transfer, keyboard shortcuts, focus on quality or speed. Web interface, PC client and Android client for remote management. You could help your customers even when gone shopping with the wife!
Firewall friendly.

Cons

Last time I've checked it does not offer support for taking control of android units.

Reasons for Switching to ISL Light

God feature set and good price model

Response from ISL Online

We offer remote control for Samsung, Cyrus and rooted Android devices. With other devices, remote viewing is possible.

Best regards,
Domen Vidmar, ISL Online Team

Replied 16/10/2019
Javier

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

We give remote assistance and it is essential that it works well, especially reboots

Pros

Always works correctly.
We can almost always connect with customers.

Cons

The time it takes to connect could be improved

TeamViewer Remote and LogMeIn Pro

By price and by the reboots of the computers

LogMeIn Rescue

By price and by the reboots of the computers

Response from ISL Online

Javier, thank you for your review. The time it takes to connect can depend on a number of reasons. If connecting takes a long time, this could indicate a network issue. If possible, we invite you to visit our live chat so we can check the connection speed and improve your experience.

Replied 30/08/2019