About Teachable

Teachable is a cloud-based learning management solution used by small and midsize businesses. The solution allows users to create and share online courses by adding audio, video, images, text and PDF files. Students can access...

3.9
4.1
3.9

Browse Teachable Reviews

Marilyn "m.e." P.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 25/08/2021

Teachable Moments

Overall Teachable solved a revenue issue for us! We needed a place for people to go and purchase out products and downloadable services without having to start from scratch - which is quite costly - and Teachable allowed us to do that. It help us generate necessary revenue with ease.

Pros

Teachable is very user friendly. I am not a very technically inclined person and this program gave me the ease I needed to set our digital classroom. AT the time we began using the company could not afford more than $100 a month and Teachable was very affordable for out small nonprofit.

Cons

I would say that my least favorite aspect of Teachable is or was the design templates, although they recently upgraded this feature and you can do a few more fancy things to your store and landing page.

Kajabi

Reasons for Choosing Teachable

At the time I felt that Teachable had more flexibility with a free or no cost version.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

Kajabi is for a more established company with a consistent revenue stream and at the time we were not that company.
  • Industry: Public Safety

Reviewed on 27/02/2020

Teachable--- Hosting Your Online Classes

My overall experience with Teachable has been very positive. Responsive customer support, improved features, and excellent onboarding training. My only frustration is the inability to auto-schedule blog posts.

Pros

I've been a Teachable user for a few years (I was a user when the name was Fedora). Since then, Teachable has been one of the most mentioned names for online course creators. One of the things I like best about Teachable is how easy it is to use the platform. In a matter of time, you can create an online course, including curriculum and media. This is super convenient for both the novice online course creator and the more experienced ones. It's a time saver!

Cons

Since 2019, the blog feature of being able to auto-schedule posting has not worked. I've placed support tickets to address the issue, but as of this writing (Feb 2020), the feature still isn't working. I write blog content well in advance and was able to schedule blog posts with ease. Now I have to set a reminder to go into my Teachable account to manually post the blog. This is not ideal.

Reasons for Choosing Teachable

SchoolKeep was changing its charging platform to a per-student model that didn't have a place in my business.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

I liked the interface Teachable had (Fedora) vs. Thinkific.
Axel D.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

Too Expensive, Not Designed for Marketers

I wish I had signed up for the free or lower-cost plan first. It's very difficult to switch platforms, so this is a decision that requires a lot of pre-purchase diligence. I now use Systeme.io, which offers way more features at a fraction of the price.

Pros

The course building platform itself is great. Support is decent for the most part, although they don't really engage well with feature requests.

Cons

Teachable seems to look at sales as an incidental part of course creation and teaching. Here are a few examples:

1) They don't have a drag-and-drop landing page builder. The templates are really generic and it's hard to get a sleek-looking landing page.
2) No email automation. You can send one-off emails to your students, but that's it.
3) You can't add a lead magnet to collect email addresses. You'll have to pay for Convertkit (which is another $25/month) or another email list provider.
4) There are limited options to customize the checkout. You can't custom code (like Analytics), or so on because the checkout is hosted on sso.teachable.com. And there's no option for a two-step checkout - say goodbye to abandoned cart emails (unless you want to create a complicated integration).
5) Their "one-click-upsell" mechanics are super limited. They previously had this feature, but got rid of it when they upgraded their page builder. They now have an upsell, but the mechanics are clunky. Again - sales and marketing are not at the top of this company's mind.

On top of that, the pricing was expensive. $99/month (the lowest-priced annual plan with no transaction fee) is super high pricing for what you get. You're better off with Kartra (which costs the same as Teachable, but does way more) or Systeme.io (which has crazy-affordable pricing and really engages with users to improve the product)

Top Teachable Alternatives

Krystel mae D.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 13/03/2022

Share your knowledge!

Pros

The things that I like about this software are; People can share their knowledge/skills to other people who are interested while getting paid at the same time. They are their own boss. People have options to customize/personalize their content.

Cons

I don't think I have any least like about this software.

Sam B.

Reviewed on 30/12/2021

Teachable: Course Creators are Lost Without it!

It's a smooth journey and you have everything you need in one place. Excellent UI and overall it's all you need.

Pros

The overall coverage of all features a course creator needs. They even provide a payment gateway, which alone saves you plenty in commisions and monthly fees.

Cons

Just need an Android app. Not having an Android app forces most of my students to watch the courses on their browsers.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

The first is that Teachable has an awesome reputation. Easy to use, and above all, affordable.
Cushi M.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 17/04/2021

A good solution for e-courses, but not the easiest to learn

It definitely does the trick. I set my online course up and created my sales page reasonably quickly considering I'd never used the software, or any e-course software before.

Pros

I love the aesthetics and the User Interface. It's all very clean and feels comfortable. I like the simplicity of the sales page builder as well, although I'd like it more if it were more custmizeable with options like more fonts, and different layouts.

Cons

The flow between webpages is super awkward and it was sometimes hard to find the page I was looking for. Every time I go to do anything, it opens a new tab. The over all user experience just felt unnatural to me.

Squarespace, Kajabi and Thinkific

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

The price point for teachable was significantly less than Kajabi and seemed more suitable for my personal needs than Thinkific or Squarespace. I will likely switch to Kajabi in the future because it seems more user friendly and feature rich.
Filip N.

Reviewed on 24/05/2019

A complete LMS platform

We like teachable for easy and fast delivery courses

Pros

A complete LMS platform, a lot of features and custom designs you can use, you can actually build the whole website using teachable with the e-learning part integrated into it

Cons

The price, it's really high, of course, you can use it for free but the commissions are high

Docebo

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

teachable is easy to use and has a lot of features, also it's really customizable

Reviewed on 23/02/2020

Great teaching platform

I use Teachable to create lessons and quizzes to test our clients on the knowledge of financial services

Pros

What I like the most about this product is the ease of adding new chapters, creating quizzes and editing content.

Cons

What I like the least is that I have two accounts with Teachable and when I log in, it always tries to connect my other login in with the wrong account

Reviewed on 7/11/2021

Good but expensive

I do like my experience with Teachable as a user. Although I wouldn't use it as an educator myself, I can see the value in Teachable and if you can get over the high monthly/yearly price (unless maybe if you don't need the higher versions, then it's actually priced really well) then I think it could be very valuable. The custom domain names are a nice feature as well, although - as I mentioned - it can be confusing.

Pros

- Beautiful interface
- Personalisable
- Good on mobile
- Seems like a perfect solution for people who don't want to build an online education programme with WordPress, which surely is more difficult in all aspects.

Cons

- I would not use this software for my own courses because I find it way too expensive. However I think this is a trade-off that a lot of people are willing to make because it's easy.
- Sometimes it gets really confusing to switch between various educators who use Teachable. I even lost access to some courses because of a confusion I had (multiple accounts that I wanted to merge).

Tiarra M.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 2/06/2022

Tiarra’s Teachable Review

My overall experience is great!! I love it !

Pros

I absolutely love the ease of use!! I also love how they now have an inexpensive option for those who are just getting started on the platform.

Cons

It isn’t as customizable as other platforms. It definitely gets the job done though. I cannot complain.

Mike C.

Reviewed on 6/02/2021

The Grass is Not Always Greener

Teachable allows me to run a great online school - and to do so with much of the functionality in one package. I do opt to substitute my own website and email automation (WordPress and Active Campaign) but I use their eCommerce payment platform and feel very confident. I have often wondered about switching but never have found an alterative that does not offer better than an alternative set of compromises.

Pros

Teachable is easy to use and does everything I need it to - and mostly very well. I also like that the company behaves ethically.

The user experience for my students is excellent and the all-in one package makes it very easy for me.

Cons

There are a few little niggles. Not a great mobile solution (but perfectly adequate) and the text editor in the course builder is low on capabilities for formatting beyond the basics (Tables? Not so much). And the placement of toolbars and save buttons is frustrating.

Steve P.

Reviewed on 21/04/2018

A great online course platform that's improving all the time

Pros

My favourite thing about Teachable is it 'just works' out of the box. Most of its functionality is intuitive and it doesn't try to add a million features that most people won't use. It's a software tool that knows what it is and who it's for. It makes it very easy to make a good looking site and get a course up for sale. Anyone can get started and be able to do most of what they need to be able to do to create a profitable online course business easily.

Cons

The drawback is in that final 5%. It's easy to make a good looking site, but not easy to make an amazing looking site. I have in the past had some issues with their affiliate system and with their support staff, but to be fair this was in late 2016 and they have made big improvements since then. I would like to see them roll out new features more consistently so that their users are on the cutting edge of online course technology rather than just slightly behind. Teachable is also best for people that don't want to integrate multiple tools. This is also a good thing as it stays focused, but I think it's worth noting here as a potential user should consider that what they get with Teachable is what they get. Don't start using it expecting to link it with a forum later if you don't love how their commenting system works (for example).

• Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 19/09/2020

I absolutely LOVE this course creation and course selling platform!

I love the professional look of Teachable and I think that makes students feel more comfortable buying online courses from "your average Joe".

Pros

For starters, it is great that you can creaet a course and put it on Teachable for free to test drive the platform and see if it will be a good fit for you and your students. I like that the platform is easy to use, customizable, NOT CLUNKY, and is professional looking.

Cons

The pricing might be a bit much if you're just starting out as a course creator and aren't sure if you're course is going to sell out the way you want it to. Other than that, there really isn't anything bad I can say about Teachable. They've done a great job creating a platform that makes it easy for anyone to sell a course they've created.

Jessica A.

Reviewed on 8/01/2020

It's a great platform for my course

I have enjoyed my time with Teachable thus far and I think it's one of the best platforms out there. I'm enjoying the user-friendly process.

Pros

I was excited to find a product that was stremlined and user friendly. I even like that I can register students without registering for their monthly plan. Of course the fees are a little higher with that version but I like the 'try-before-you-buy aspect'. I like the look of it and that you will be able to creat certificates and allow students to track their progress. One of my favorite features is being able to create discount/ special codes when you want.

Cons

I don't like that i have to post a youtube URL if my videos are a little larger. This adds a little complication seeing as I'm not a techie, but it's not insurmountable.

Reasons for Switching to Teachable

I was a student on the other platform and didn't love the experience. I thought Teachable would be better for me as a creator and for the student side as well.
Gian angelo D.

Reviewed on 27/05/2019

A Giant in Online Courses

Teaching other has always been a passion of mine especially if it helps my students learn from my mistakes and avoid them in their own career. Being in the Copywriting field for years has always instilled in me that you have to keep learning and keep teaching others... and Teachable gives you that option.

It's easy to get into and setup plus you get a lot of nice features to make your teachable page look really great!

Overall, Teachable is one website you should definitely put your mind into.

Pros

It's probably one of the better choices when it comes to making courses online. First of all, you get a lot of options to integrate with 3rd party software which is great since you don't have to start from scratch in some aspects. Second, it's really easy to start teaching your audience online with Teachable.

You can easily add new courses, record some lessons and launch!

You get great payment options to choose from to give your customers some variety, also, it's easy to setup your page to make your "classroom" look even better.

Cons

It does take time to setup everything if you're planning to work on many courses and uploading a lot of material.

While you can get most of it done by the time your free trial is over, it's always great to upgrade from the start to be able to take advantage of the premium features Teachable offers.

One more thing is that, it's a bit pricey compared to other choices however, if you want great quality, it will cost you.

Yadah K.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 25/04/2020

They Have Good Resources

Initially I was dazzled by Teachable. As I got more into my business and researched, and the more teachable updated and changed their plans and options, the more I realised that there are better options out there. The resources are still good, but they focus very much on the 'overnight success' model that tends to burn most entrepreneurs out.

Pros

You can change the colour scheme to for your brand.
There is a white label option to ensure all branding is yours and only yours.
You can use your own domain.
Video hosting is done directly on Teachable, so no need to figure out embedding etc from other sites.
You can add quizzes and tests to your online courses.
You can add resources and PDFs for your students.
It's possible to add add-ons for additional income on courses, and also bundle courses together.
They offer many free courses and resources to help the budding online teacher.

Cons

There is no middle ground between the starter plan and next plan - it's expensive for the starter plan compared to other course platform options with hardly any of the perks the others offer.
The promise of being able to fully customise your school is negated by the very real fact that you HAVE to be able to 'code' to do so, taking away from the ease of use.
The quizzes available are restricted to multiple choice or true and false - students aren't able to upload assignments and there is also no room for free flow questions.

Ça¿r¿ M.

Reviewed on 14/09/2021

Always improving

Pros

I like that Teachable always deploys new features, listens to tutors and I also like the community they've been developing among the teachers. So, they both try to improve their product and their users at the same time.

Cons

Sometimes it's hard to bundle your courses as you like. You have to tweak this and that to get something close to what you want.

Peter C.

Reviewed on 30/05/2019

I love Teachable

I teach small-business owners sales and marketing skills via online courses. When I first crossed over from a Wordpress platform with 80 lectures, each containing video, text, PDFs, and soundtracks - the entire crossover process was completed in a day. Easy work - just lots of it. That was three years ago. Since then I've seen more than 100 students set up their own schools. They all rave about the platform.

Pros

Incredibly easy to use. Very fast to deploy a complete course with almost zero technical skill. fast and comprehensive support. Their free pricing offers a zero cost startup. It's so good that I introduce Teachable to every student I teach.

Cons

I love their concern about security. Just sometimes, and this is not a complaint, I offend by logging in from a different machine. That invokes two-factor authorization. It's not a problem at all, of course, but it's the feature I like least. Call me lazy.

Brandi V.

Reviewed on 7/09/2020

Disaster

Horrible, frustrating and a huge waste of a lot of time. Added so much more work for me to do when the point of having the software was to save me time.

Pros

Well, when I started I liked the idea of drip content for my students weekly lessons - BUT, it doesn't work properly so I can't say I liked anything about the Teachable software.

Cons

Constant Problems
The software constantly has glitches and major problems. My students have problems getting in, links do not work and have to be sent several times. My classes receive emails from other classes/courses that don't apply to their course at all.
Don't get me started on Customer Service. UGH! They replay in a decent amount of time - with a bunch of work for YOU the person paying to use their platform to read through, problem solve and basically try to figure out why THIER platform is not working properly.
For most of us we pay for a platform like this to cut down on the workload we have! Not create EXTRA work! I have spent so much time doing Teachables job that I rather create a damn Facebook group page for free and post the video learning and tutorials there. Or build it into my own website.
I can't even use their merchant services as they have asked for my tax info literally 30+ times. I sent it to them the first 10 times and just said forget it and have my student pay through our business system.
Wast of money and a HUGE waste of time.

Kajabi, Udemy Business and Thinkific

Price and features
Robin F.
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 22/02/2019

Good in some areas. Poor in others.

Leadership of the company tends to focus on the money angle but I guess that's to be expected. ("You can make mega-$$$ with your courses!" and some have.) You won't find information on crafting your course but you will find plenty on how to give it a high price tag. If you can avoid the hype and have a third party email app you like to use, then Teachable is a good option. I've found it to be affordable and profitable in spite of the email problems.

Pros

The teaching platform (curriculum videos, PDFs, etc.) is good and uploads are easy. I found that building a sales page was not difficult and sending people to the sales page with discount coupons was a smooth process. Payments were collected and paid out promptly at the end of the month (for my plan). Support is by email only (no chat) and took a couple days but the answers were helpful. The plans are reasonably priced for individual teachers and consultant.

Cons

I have experienced serious problems with their built-in email application. Since this is the primary way teachers communicate with students, it should be a priority for them. There were days when it wasn't working when I needed to send links to live classes and webinars. It's difficult to customize "Welcome" emails and there's no way to schedule sends or save drafts. They recently announced that all emails would come from a strange looking email address that belongs to them (and has been labeled "spam" by my email hosting service). I've drawn their attention to these problems several times. The response is polite but there has been no move to improve the service. It's a very amateurish response. I would recommend looking at other services first OR be prepared to use a third party email service every time you want to reach your students, including new sign-ups.

Reviewed on 24/07/2021

Decent and reliable platform but needs feature improvements

Pros

The user interface is intuitive but not that easy to use, pages take time to load.

They keep adding new features regularly, I like the recently added limited period access so I can expire my free courses which is really helpful to make my student take action complete the course on time and upgrade to my higher offers if they desire.

I love that Teachble provides unlimited students and courses/coaching plans even on the basic plan.

Has teachable university to help with setting up the courses and coaching bundles, which is beneficial for beginners setting up their e-learning platform.

If you do not want a lot of designing customization to your landing page using html etc, I have found the page builder via block elements easy to implement.

Cons

The web app crashes a lot when bulk uploading videos.
Cannot upload videos of size greater than 1.5 GB.
Have to pay heavy transction fee of 5% to teachable for each sale on the basic plan.

• Industry: Music

Reviewed on 31/12/2018

Some Important Features Missing but Great Customer Service

Teachable has solved the problem I was having using self-hosted WordPress with WooCommerce's suite of very expensive plugins that are continually updated with breaking changes that they often had to be resolved by tinkering with PHP code. Having my school hosted in the cloud takes care of all of the software and security headaches.

I do feel bad leaving a lukewarm review for the product, as the customer service is extraordinarily nice and has bent over backwards to help me overcome some of the limitations.

Also worth noting that perhaps my situation is unique, in that I am mostly using Teachable as sort of online school with content from other authors, as opposed to just being a place for me to sell my own courses without involving anyone else.

Right now, there doesn't seem to be a platform that's super-focused on creating your own online school with multiple teachers (or is there?), so Teachable is getting the job done, but I regret not having done a bit more research on the front end, as some other solutions might have offered me more of what I was looking for.

Pros

* Customer Service
* Ease of use
* Pretty nice admin interface
* Although there is not much you can do to theme your school without getting into code, what they have out of the box is pretty tasteful in terms of typography and layout

Cons

* No built-in contact form capabilities, and I don't know that you could code your own (if you're tech savvy enough), so that leaves you with a cheesy free embed form that will have someone else's branding on it, or paying at least $10 a month for a white-labeled contact form. I mean, what sort of paid online school doesn't have a "Contact Us" page with a form (as opposed to just an email address)?
* Hefty fees if you want to have payments automatically sent out to other authors automatically (wish I knew this before I signed up!).
* No ability to sell gift certificates without going through a very manual convoluted process

Linda B.

Reviewed on 28/02/2018

Fantastic platform for online schools.

I was able to create my own online school, website, landing pages and payment portal with ease. I highly recommend Teachable .

Pros

Easy to set up, very reasonably priced and great tutorials and advice for marketing your courses. If you have online curriculum you'd like to share with the world, this is a very seamless process.

Cons

Unable to add HTML features within the curriculum itself. They do not do any marketing (like Udemy), whereas they would market globally and the school owner would get a smaller percentage of the sales. I think this is good for reaching a larger audience.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

I'd recommend this

I love using Teachable, but have a lot of trouble getting others onboard to use it since it has less features than other programs.

Pros

* I love how easy it is to make an online course
* I love having a branded course and they make it easy

Cons

* I don't like how every Teachable course looks identical minus the colour scheme and logo.
* I wish it wasn't so obvious I use Teachable over other softwares

ClickFunnels

Ease of use Simplicity

Cost is better

Reviewed on 5/06/2018

I host video training courses on Teachable and love their platform.

Teachable allows me to quickly and easily organize my video course content in a logical manner. This makes course deployment simple and my courses still retain a professional look/feel.

Pros

Teachable is very user friendly and they offer an intuitive user interface. They have features like drag and drop or duplicate that make creating training courses a breeze. I've used other course creation software and I find that Teachable is easier to understand. They also have a lot of documentation and offer support. Also, check out their facebook group...there's lots of valuable info exchanged there about course creation.

Cons

I'm on the basic plan and I think it's a little pricey, but I get it; they're in business to make money. I wish they had a plan between the free plan and the basic plan with less features than the basic as this would probably be a better fit for me.