ShipStation Reviews

About ShipStation

ShipStation is a multi-carrier, multi-channel shipping solution designed to expedite the shipping process for online retailers. Features such as batch shipping, discounted shipping rates, inventory and customer management, and...

Browse ShipStation Reviews

David K
David K

Reviewed on 15/03/2018

Test your shipping software - they're not all made the same

I moved from Stamps.com and cut my shipping and customer service time by 80%. I adopted this software at ~15 packages per day because it was more expensive than Stamps.com. Bad move!!! Pay extra for ShipStation from the start.

Pros

I've used ShipStation, ShippingEasy, ShipWorks, Stamps.com, Ordoro, and SolidCommerce with a few clients. My two favorite are ShipStation and ShippingEasy. They both have different strengths - sweat the small stuff because it really makes a difference if you're shipping 200+ packages a day. It's worth using two or more systems and then picking the best. The time spent is worth the effort.

I use ShipStation for managing the shipping and customer service from my website, Amazon, Walmart, Jet, Ebay, and Etsy. The application is rock solid. Creating manual orders is simple, as is importing orders and combining shipments. I like that I can place orders on hold and setup future shipments. Other vendors like ShippingEasy cannot do this (yet). We get a fair number or orders that have a bad address and we're able to put orders on hold until we hear back from the customer. This shipping rules and kitting options are fairly robust. It is easy to identify return customers (this is something not done well by other platforms). The UI is very buttoned-up. ShipStation also has a superior "Search Customers" function that will search on 3 and 4 part names, city, state... Some of the other vendors fail here. Having good search reduces customer service time.

Cons

There are some things that ShippingEasy does better - e.g. they're a single page application and that means that the interface is super fast. ShipStation is slower as you mover around in the interface. I wish that ShipStation could manage my inventory across marketplaces and I'm in love with how some of the other vendors solicit reviews using marketing/email automation. I hope someday that vendors like ShipStation will also connect to Auth.net or Stripe.com so that we can Auth and Settle New Manual Orders. It takes a bit longer to learn ShipStation but if you're running a larger/complicated business you'll come to appreciate the power that comes with the complexity.

• Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 3/03/2023

Best in class order management, but inventory management is flawed

Positive. I've tried numerous competitors, but keep coming back to shipstation for just doing the business of shipping things flawlessly. If they would add inventory syncing and kitting/bundling, this product would be literal perfection.

Pros

The workflows, batching, labelling, general UI and UX and the user-centric engineering make it obvious this was designed by product managers who have done ecommerce, rather than their competitors who are software engineers first and have no clue what store owners actually want.

Cons

The inventory managenet is one way; anything you sell on any channel will decrement Shipstation's inventpry, but it won't then push the new stock count out to connected stores. Also therefore no support for kitting and bundling. They recommend you check out other integration partners but most of those cost 300+ per month which is 6x what I'm paying for Shipstation. They have competitors who offer these features free or cheap, but the competitors lack in the order/shipping management features.

Linnworks

Reasons for Choosing ShipStation

Shipstation's order management, shipping management and labelling (including the Shipstation Carrier Services which is like a proxy prepay account for some couriers we don't qualify for direct integrations with) is literally best in class. None of the others come close.

Multiorders and Veeqo

Reasons for Switching to ShipStation

Cost, and best-in-class features, reliability and availability.
Jordan
Jordan

Reviewed on 13/07/2023

Put your money and time somewhere else!

I would stay away from them completely unless they hire new staff and rebuild their software and their customer support team. They are unresponsive, lack knowledge, and always point their finger at someone else as the root cause of the issue, even when it ultimately comes down to their poorly written software.

Pros

When we implemented it, it was a big step up from ShippingEasy in terms of feature set and ease of use.

Cons

Their software is not updated in a timely manner, so when Shopify makes an update , ShipStation no longer works and you are sitting waiting for 6+ months for them to actually fix it so that you can get orders out without the fear that things are not going to work.

Top ShipStation Alternatives

• Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 14/12/2023

ShipStation is Necessary but Annoying

It's acceptable for what we use it for and I've been unable to find a replacement for it in our day-to-day operations but it leaves a lot to be desired. The price keeps going up but the service gets worse.

Pros

ShipStation is the tool we use for fulfilling orders every day at Curl Warehouse. It allows us to bring in our carrier rates, save our regular package sizes, etc. It is great having everything in one place.

Cons

There are few alternatives to ShipStation within this price range, and I think ShipStation knows that we don't have a lot of options. Customer service is practically non-existent and several features don't really work as well as they should, such as order filters, updating product information when it is updated in Shopify even though the tools are connected, printing product vendor on the packing slips isn't possible (WHY?! This seems like something so many of us would find beneficial), and there are several other things that seem like they should be part of the tool that aren't and would be really helpful for merchants.

Lena
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 7/02/2022

ShipStation Provides Everything Needed

ShipStation makes online order fulfillment easy. It imports all of your order and customer information into the software from most online selling platforms. It pulls the shipping information so all you have to do is confirm and ship. It is easy to customize your settings such as packing slips and messages to buyers. I love how it sends the tracking number back to the appropriate platform so that I don’t have to do that manually. The shipping prices are low and all shipping options are available. I highly recommend using this for order fulfillment.

Pros

I like how all shipping services are available and easy to apply. Everything is easy to understand and operate. The software communicates with most selling platforms and keeps updated inventory.

Cons

I would like the pricing to be based on volume not number of platforms.

irina
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 19/04/2021

The Shipping Software To Beat All Shipping Softwares

Love at first sight. Everything from the easy of customizing the packing slip, email confirmation and delivery emails. The fact that it integrates with almost every platform - and even if it doesn't you can custom code your own store with their open API. Really, a fantastic piece of work.

Pros

What I liked the most was how easy it is to set up and get going It has a great UI that's extremely easy to use daily. Automations make daily life easier and rate preview is a godsend. I can go on.....

Cons

The least that I like about this software is that they HAVE the ability to suggest features and updates, however, I don't really see too many of them actually be implemented. Now, that's not saying they don't implement any - but there are some pretty important ones that have a ton of upvotes that tech devs have said would be relatively easy to do, but they don't. Maybe there is something I just don't know...

ShipBob and ShipWorks

EASE

Reasons for Switching to ShipStation

Customer support at first, the ease second and the fact that it's been over 7+ years of me using it and I still to this day love it and wouldn't switch. Thanks Shipstation!
Ronald
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

Shipstation Changed My Life

We started with shipstation when our small online shop was shipping well under 100 items a month. I'd tried a few other softwares, and none of them compared. Now, our business has grown many, many times over, and shipstation has scaled with us without a hitch. It's incredibly easy to use, integrates wonderfully with our online storefront, ebay, etc... I've recommended it to many, many people over the years, and I really can't imagine running my business without it!

Pros

Ease of use and feature richness. We had tried a couple of other shipping systems for our online shop, and none were as intuitive and user friendly as Shipstation. We were able to get up and running very quickly when we first started, and now, many years later, I've learned much of the the deep functionality that lays beneath the simple surface.

Cons

I had to think a while, but I do with the dashboard reporting was a bit clearer and easier to read. There are a couple of widgets on there that I have still to figure out quite how to read.

Shippo

Reasons for Choosing ShipStation

We needed something more powerful and intuiutive

Stamps.com

I preferred the interface

Reviewed on 10/09/2021

Great easy to use software

Great so far, I used many different software and this one offered the best rates and the easiest to use platform.

Pros

It is super easy to implement, it has a lot of features to make your job faster and it has good customer support if you have a bit of patience.

Cons

I don't like that I can not put insurance into auto re charge for more than $100.00

ShippingEasy

Reasons for Choosing ShipStation

Because Shipstation offered better rates and I like their UI more.

ShippingEasy

Reasons for Switching to ShipStation

Because Shipstation offered better rates and I like their UI more.

Reviewed on 29/10/2020

Shipstation Makes Multi Channel Shipping Insanely easy

I love it. I love that it offers to combine orders from the some customer together, I love that I can create global rules for each platform. I love that it integrates with every platform and you don't need to worry about having any kind of issue there. It works with special shipping options like seller fulfilled prime. Really could not be happier.

Pros

Integration is a cinch. YOu really need next to no technical knowledge to set this up on most platforms. Once you create all the rules anyone and I mean anyone can just come in and fulfill all your orders.

Cons

Honestly, I would say that I wish it was free but it is as I like to say WEP - Worth Every Penny, and it doesn't really cost very much.

Scotty
Scotty

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

ShipStation is essential for small business

ShipStation has been a great improvement over what I was using before. It's just as clean and easy to use, but also provides a lot of physical efficiencies for my business.

Pros

What I like most is the ability to print directly onto adhesive labels. It sounds like a small thing, but having to print out labels on a paper, and then cut/fold them, and then place into a label sleeve takes a lot of time and effort when packaging a large number of orders. ShipStation allows me to print and stick in one easy step.

Cons

What I like least is because it is not affiliated with an official carrier service (FedEx, USPS, etc) I have to actually go and drop off the packages. A carrier will not come to my business to pick it up.

Peter

Reviewed on 18/01/2022

Versatile, stable, a reliable shipping partner for every business large or small

made possible to scale up my shipping operation

Pros

Helping me ship products out the door fast and mistake-free at least cost

Cons

The Shipping Label screen has a lot of helpful detail but causes clutter and much of it can or should be hidden until needed

Mike
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 9/03/2018

Expansive Shipment Management

There's no doubt that ShipStation is built well and has the necessary features to please companies of all sizes. We've found very few problems in our 2-3 years of utilizing the platform and it's the best solution we've found to this point. We would recommend the system to any company looking to expertly manage its shipping operations.

Pros

Our publishing company utilizes ShipStation to handle inventory and shipping management. The system is extremely comprehensive, offering a robust feature set covering orders, shipments, products, customers, and reports. It's easy to set up multiple stores for different aspects of the business in order to keep the silos separate, and alerts draw your eye to the areas that need attention. ShipStation can also be seamlessly integrated with various e-commerce platforms so that orders are ported directly over and into the shipment queue. Once shipped, we enjoy the tracking features that allow our team to check shipment status whenever customers have inquiries. Additionally, there's an insight section that shows how many customers interacted with a their personal tracking pages, how many shipment notifications have gone out in a given time period, and general sales trends.

Cons

The interface isn't the prettiest, but it gets the job done and doesn't suffer from glitches. Occasionally, we have a little bit of trouble locating a specific option because the system has so many features. Perhaps the organization or visibility of some areas could be improved.

Katelynn
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 19/07/2023

ShipStation is a good platform that is well on it's way, Needs more for B2B support.

If we can work out the Kinks with Ship From Locations we will be able to easily ship to multiple supported carriers without additional development time for unique integrations from each company into our Custom Order Entry Software.

Pros

Initially Importing Orders with little setup time using the XML integration helped us import orders using our custom Order Entry Program in a two-day time frame. It is also easy to add in supported carriers providing you have the required information. Automatic Notifications and returns support is a great added feature.

Cons

The missing value for B2B customers is missing support for Blind Shipping, in our case, we only update the company name in the ship at this time which we are unable to do in ShipSttion, the recommended workaround was to re-enter 2500+ resellers in each location as a unique Ship From Location. (We have 3) Alternatively we can tax our shipping employee with entering them with each new shipment. Otherwise, I think the lack of bulk importing these Ship From Locations makes things a little worse off. I am hopeful that more features will be released with B2B and Dropship customers in mind.

Reviewed on 31/10/2017

We've tried them all, and are sticking with Shipstation

Pros

We've been involved in ecommerce for 20 years, and have tried *all* the ship programs. Shipstation is program we recommend to most people, and the one we've been using for the past 4+ years. The entry level subscription quickly pays for itself with their access to discounted USPS rates, free tracking on many shipments, and easy side-by-side rate comparisons. And if you're an eBay or Amazon seller, this is the best and easiest.

Cons

No program is a perfect fit for everyone. The mobile app is rubbish on Android, can't create batches, can't print, can't email a PDF. So basically you can confirm orders one at a time and just leave them there until you can log in with a PC. But they have a dedicated development team, I suspect it will improve over time. Also, creating manual orders is straightforward, but a bit cumbersome. They do a great job integrating with eBay, Amazon, Woo Commerce ... but not things like Wix and Shopify (unless you have the Plus account). Again, their team is pretty responsive, so I wouldn't be surprised to see integration of these (and more) in the near future. And a few little bugs on the site (the site freezes frequently on us, we have to log out and log back in). But we don't hesitate giving Shipstation a solid thumbs up.

Reviewed on 6/06/2016

Great Solution for a Growing Business

A year ago my partner and I started our ecommerce business, and a couple months ago we decided it was time to invest a system to help us automate shipping. ShipStation came recommended from another business we knew, so we used the one-month free trial to give it a try. Within a week or so of getting familiar with the interface, we knew ShipStation was a great fit for us. We were especially happy to see the entry-level tier option of $9/month, which was by far the best value we found among comparable platforms. We also love the inventory management aspect of ShipStation, which we didn't even realize was included at first! The amount of time and energy saved daily by not having to hand write labels, stop at the post office, and manually update inventory is fantastic, especially as those precious hours can be much better spent elsewhere.

Pros

-- Once you've overcome the slight learning curve (stated as a con below), the layout feels very natural and easy to navigate. Hovering beacons help provide tips throughout each screen.
-- Functionality. ShipStation is an incredibly robust platform with tons of aspects to it: multiple sales channels, customization, inventory management, shipping and tracking, customer logs, reporting, the features go on and on.
-- Love the handy calculator tool right on the main screen, which allows you to quickly calculate postage for any type of shipment.
-- Many tools to automate functions and make your work quicker and easier (e.g., setting up filters, rules, and batch actions).
-- Integrates with many, many, many other apps and tools.
-- Save money by using the discounted pricing you receive on postage through ShipStation.
-- Very thorough helpful articles in the Support Center. They also have a forum where you can submit suggestions and feature requests.

Cons

-- Interface is overwhelming at first. Would have loved to receive a short and sweet video introducing me to the main features and organization. The video I did receive upon signing up for the free trial was more of a marketing-focused pitch video, which served no purpose as I was already invested and ready to explore ShipStation.
-- The $9/month tier exists, but not readily available as an option when you’re ready to upgrade from your free trial. I had to submit a request via Live Chat to have this option provided. The lack of transparency was a bit disappointing after everything else felt so customer-oriented.

Steve
Steve

Reviewed on 4/02/2021

Tremendous asset for customers and businesses alike

Smooth integration and roll-out. After all the applicable data is in, things have been running smoothly since. Very happy with how this works for our business!

Pros

Shipstation is able to connect directly with my eCommerce site and makes getting packages out the door a breeze. As long as you take the time to setup the parameters, there is rarely, if ever, an issue. My customers get an automatic email with the tracking information (that is on a branded page...not the carrier's page!) and we get emails letting us know that the item has been delivered safely. Its such a time saver and everything comes through looking incredibly professional. Small to medium sized operations will benefit greatly from this.

Cons

The only critique I have is that we are not able to effectively communicate the (actual) added cost of insurance and/or delivery confirmation from our eCommerce software to ShipStation. We get around this by adding a percentage handling amount onto higher value items so that we're not losing money on the shipping cost for these pieces of merchandise.

Reviewed on 12/12/2018

ShipStation

Overall, I have found ShipStation extremely helpful for the kind of work I do. Especially for a smaller business. We ship out about 100-200 packages a week, and ShipStation is the perfect software to manage that.

Pros

ShipStation is very useful for small companies. I work for a small online boutique, and use ShipStation to package/ship items all over the United States, Canada, and Australia. ShipStation is user friendly and very useful for large order quantities. I find there are many useful options when shipping. For instance, it allows ability to combine orders, hold orders until a selected date, sort orders by name, date, size, etc. It is an extremely helpful software.

Cons

I have not found many flaws in this software. The only issue I have encountered with ShipStation is its inability to function well with other pages open. For instance, when I am shipping, I often have other windows/internet tabs open. ShipStation slows down substantially when I have these other windows open.

Marcus
Marcus
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 12/10/2017

Changed the way we handle shipping and returns almost immediately

Pros

Shipstation, above all, is very easy to use. The features list is really comprehensive and it works extremely well as an integral part of your online shipping program. Our needs were for a non-standard integration but their support team and API made it very easy for us to get up and running. Plus, with a 3rd party app, we seamlessly use Shipstation as an order pass-through to get orders into Quickbooks online. It's given us an ability to grow without increasing staff for mundane work!

Cons

We wish that an order wasn't tied directly to a singluar shipment. Our orders contain various products from various vendors and we'd prefer to keep a single order together and post multiple shipments to it, as opposed to needing to split and duplicate orders to ship multiple items for one reference. This and other annoyances are the most we could say negatively about Shipstation, but are not representative of a need to change in any way.

Robin

Reviewed on 29/11/2023

Waiting for solution for a bug fix for 7 months.

Started good and has quickly gone down hill...

Pros

ShipStation has been pretty easy to use but we have been having the same issue for over 7 months now, with no resolution or sense of urgency from customer service.

Cons

We have been having the same issue with no resolution in 7 months. The additional insurance cost to a FedEx label does not properly translate over to our operating system. The wait time to get what ShipStation calls a "bug", has been absolutely absurd. We haven't received a solution from anyone, meanwhile this has caused accounting issues and additional headaches that a small business shouldn't have to go through. We are already looking for a replacement service.

Rutchie Mae
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 7/02/2023

ShipStation -Connecting extra carriers and distribution channels in one Dashboard

I would recommend the Platform to any company looking to expertly manage its shipping operations just like FabFitFun. I love the Powerful Features which are easy to use. It is easy for the company to connect with various marketplaces, shopping carts, order management systems, and other systems — all from a single, simple platform. Superb customer service is a plus. Keep Rockin'

Pros

I like how ShipStation swiftly and efficiently manages the order inventory. With ShipStation, it helps the company to coordinate with multiple carriers and order sources in one place. It has an excellent integration with the main shipping service to accelerate shipping management activities.

Cons

Sometimes, ShipStation may fail to print the labels the user wants but this can be manually downloaded and printed from outside ShipStation. Despite this, there is still a lot in there to explore since the user interface is good.

Reviewed on 22/07/2022

Shipstation is great for managing orders and purchasing shipping but still needs a lot of work

Shipstation has great rates for shipping but if I could find a program that would allow us to edit packing slips, provided the same rates, and I could easily sync with shopify then I would switch because the customer service is abysmal.

Pros

I like the ease of syncing our orders with shopify, shipping them through shipstation, and having the tracking number then re-uploaded to shopify.

Cons

I had an issue a long time ago of not being able to change SKU or UPC numbers in my inventory. It has been a year and customer service never figured it out or replied to my most recent messages. We were able to edit the packing slips on our old plan, then they changed it so you had to be upgraded further to access that ability. We have an error on our old packing slip and am not able to get it fixed unless I pay an additional $100 for one month.

Emily
  • Industry: Warehousing

Reviewed on 27/09/2023

ShipStation for B2B (Parcel/LTL/FTL)

Overall, ShipStation has been a successful solution for our team - allowing us to cut down on lead times and expedite important orders

Pros

Ease of use - it is very easy to train new team member as the system is intuitive. We have been able to create custom tags that allow our team to gain more detail into orders to ensure the shipping method is best for the order.

Cons

Splitting shipment can be difficult to manage and often fail to fulfil correctly in our connected ERP system. We have increased our freight shipments, tracking and booking we have had to do outside of ShipStation for these orders.

Philip
Philip

Reviewed on 14/01/2022

Frustration, no reason

Started off fine, I've shipped thousands of packages so far. A couple years ago, Shipstation decided they wanted to completely change the interface. No thanks. About the same time, the software started getting glitchy. Everytime I use it, I must completely reload the software first, or else hangs and doesn't ever send labels to the printer. I've reported this to Shipstation support at least 7 times, they don't care.

If there's any interaction, it goes something like this:
Me: I'm having this problem, it happens exactly when I do this
SS: Are you saying that it happens exactly when you do this?
Me: That's what I said, I've tried these things
SS: Can you try doing those things again? Have you tried doing them again, again?
Me: Sigh, nevermind.

Pros

It works, most of the time. There isn't actually any alternative.

Cons

You have to refresh to page every single time you use it, or else it doesn't work.

Terry
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 22/06/2018

An absolute staple for any e-commerce business.

After trying just about everything else out there, Shipstation is as close to a perfect solution as you'll find. It helped me save over an hour each day, time that I was then able to spend on actually growing my business. It was a stretch to think of anything I didn't like - which speaks volumes about the software.

Pros

Integration with most major platforms and channels - it communicates back and forth between your Shopify, Amazon, eBay, etc. accounts to mark orders shipped and email the customer.
Discounted shipping labels - The subscription pays for itself with how inexpensive the labels are.
Automated tracking emails - create your own template and look the part of other major e-commerce stores.

Cons

Can get a little confusing when dealing with international shipments but their support team is definitely top notch and can help you sort out the issues quickly.

Ricky
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Shipstation - Gets the job done!

Overall its great shipping software for an inexpensive price.

Pros

Shipstation gives us a simple and centralized system to ship out all our orders. Our orders from Shopify, Amazon, manual orders, etc flow through our inventory management software Stitch Labs which then routes it to Shipstation. Thus giving us one place for our order fulfillment center to work with. You can easily connect your FedEx, UPS, USPS accounts making it easy to just print labels and ship. There's nothing fancy about Shipstation, it's a pretty basic software but the main thing is that it works.

Cons

For some reason, the software interface Windows 2000ish. Feels old but it does the job. One thing I would like to see is if we could create shipment templates. We use Shipstation to ship out samples and we manually enter those orders into Shipstation. However, if the sample orders are the same and only the addressee is different, we need to input the sample order details for each time. It would be nice if we had some sort of shortcut or pre-saved template we could select to save time.