Clover Reviews

3.9

3.9

About Clover

Clover POS is an integrated point-of-sale (POS) system with custom hardware designed for several types of retailers. This POS system is available in both web-based and server-based deployment versions and offers countertop...

3.8
3.3

Browse Clover Reviews

Madison
Madison

Reviewed on 6/08/2018

Use in my small businees

Clover has been an excellent option for taking payments in my stores.

Pros

My coffee shop uses clover devices as our POS system. The software is convenient and easy to place in a store. It features many apps that make it applicable to nearly any market. They also have many accessories- the main one we use are the receipt printers (small and regular size), the handheld tablet, and the customer interface screen.

Cons

Over time the clover tablets do slow down. We frequently reboot them to rev up the speed.

Jodi
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 21/01/2020

Great payment processing device

Clover payment system has been really great for our spa. Really easy to run transactions, reports or refunds. The customer service has been knowledgeable and super friendly when we have had any issues.

Pros

It’s is super easy to take and track transactions. Has report capabilities And many functions. It is super easy to use. I have two different clover devices for different providers and they are all great.

Cons

The software itself is wonderful. The only issue I have is with the flex portable device on/off button. It is on the side and client constantly hit the button when they are picking up to sign for a transaction. The button should be on back underneath where it can’t be accidentally touched.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Love the functions on the clover and the receipts it prints.
Nancy

Reviewed on 1/02/2024

Frustrating Product!

Pros

Works with the credit card processor we have had for years, which have better rates than any other company we have quoted.

Cons

We've had multiple days of no service within the last couple months. Customer Service is horrible.

Top Clover Alternatives

Affinity Designer

Square for Restaurants

PayPal Commerce Platform

Lori
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 2/11/2023

I've tried others. Clover made the cut!!

Almost a year now and I am happy with Clover. I depend on it daily.

Pros

Clover is the easiest to use, most dependable, most reliable POS application out of all I have tried. US based support and competitive pricing.

Cons

They take the fee out after the deposit instead of before like most of the others do.

Katie
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

Easy to Use and Competitive Rates

Overall, the product is simple enough to use that I am not worried about any of our contracted therapists messing up the process and avoiding taking payments.

Pros

What I like most about Clover is that it can be downloaded on any smart device as app and has an easy to use card chip reader. Our agency wanted a chip reader for extra customer security and Clover offered that option.

Cons

I like least about the software is that is does not capture customer information as simple as their first and last name, but simply has a text box for a description. Our agency uses the device for customer copays for therapy appointments and in the text box I am forced to put the customers last name in order to reconcile payments later.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

The start up costs and credit card processing fees were lower.
Gordon
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 18/02/2020

Needed a new Payment Processor and they killed it

Customer service has been great to work with. The integration with my website was beyond simple which is what I need running a 2 person business.

Pros

The ease of which I was able to set up an account for my business and integrated it into my website was astonishing. Most people think of clover as a POS system but I primarily use it on the back side of my website and needed the option for a mobile POS. They have it both.

Cons

The cost of equipment that is needed to use this software as a POS is a bit daunting. There are different levels of equipment, but they are all a little pricey.

Reasons for Choosing Clover

The need for payments to run through my website and at my new storefront without having multiple processors.

PayPal Commerce Platform
Karen

Reviewed on 27/07/2021

Clover is Cumbersome and You Need Third Party Paid Apps to do Basic Functionality

Want to have a seamless point of sale software and this was not it. The approval process was difficult and extensive just to find out they are out of stock of their hardware so I am charged the manual entry rate versus the keyed in rate even thought they are out of stock of Clover Go until and undetermined time.

Pros

I like the Clover Gos swipe and cost per transaction option but it is out of stock for months. I like the dashboard.

Cons

Wanted to import products from another system and tried to match the template provided by Clover to import and never got it in. Plus size of file is limited to 10MB which for the effort I could have keyed in the few items quickly to get to the file limit size. Customer support was painful to interact with and not helpful.

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to Clover

because of the swiping capability which does not exist on Stripe

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

Simple to set up and configure. Simple to use. Flexible reporting options. Decent Support.

Clover simplified payment processing for us with easy to use devices and flexible reporting options.

Pros

Our overall experience has been great. The Clover portal is simple to set up and devices are easy to configure. Clover devices are wireless and easy for staff to use, with good user level security and flexible reporting options. We have had no issues with the devices or the service since going live.

Cons

If there is any WiFi interferance the devices can disconnect from the internet and prevent payment processing, this is not a Clover issue though.

Joe
Joe

Reviewed on 19/09/2023

Clover: Not as reliable as before the switch.

They've nearly put us out of business due to the migration from payeezy to clover. The most frustrating part was the fact that the representatives from clover acted like it's just par for the course and that we should just accept it.

Pros

Our bank migrated from Payeezy to Clover. The migration was easy and was done without our input.

Cons

Our bank migrated from Payeezy to Clover. The migration did not migrate all of the previously existing credit cards into the clover account causing over half of our recurring payments to fail the next month.

authorize.net and Stripe

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Our bank said they preferred to do business with Clover over Payeezy.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

It was supposedly compatible with the payeezy interface without switching software.
Katey

Reviewed on 28/10/2020

For accepting payments

Positive. Much easier than our last system. Just wish they weren't so expensive.

Pros

That it is portable and easy to use for people who are not tech savy. You can also take pictures of people if you need to when you take their payment.

Cons

How expensive it is to replace a machine that is out of it's warranty.

Luigi
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 26/04/2021

Easy, simple and effective

Very positive. It's ease of use makes it suitable for every demographic and It integrates well with our other systems like Shopify and Shopventory.

Pros

Since this system uses android OS so it follows a familiar mobile OS layout.

The system is extremely easy to use. I repeat, EXTREMELY easy to use. So easy that the boomers in our company did find it too difficult to learn.

It's large buttons and integrated barcode scanner makes transactions quick and smooth.

It integrates with most common applications such as Quickbooks & Shopify.

The option to search for products by typing the name is extremely useful.

As one of our owners put it, "It's pretty hard to make a mistake on it, even for a caveman like me."

Cons

It's certainly not as advanced as other point of sales systems I've used in the past.

Sometimes simple commands are buried in sub folders. For example, if you want to delete an entire order, you are required to push three dots at the top of the order, then select the "delete order" option from a list of commands. While simple is steps, the lack of clarity when while locating the the action can slow you down when you are busy.

A massive con is the that it does not natively support variable priced items by weight. In order to add this as an option, we're required to pay an extra $10 a month.

Something that has also been massively disappointing is that you can not increase the price of an item during the sale. If an item is at a fixed priced, you can not increase the price, you can only reduce the price or provide an item discount. This is a disadvantage if you don't necessarily need an item to be a variable priced item, of if an item is priced incorrectly. It forces you to use the open item option.

Graham

Reviewed on 23/11/2020

Not for Retailers

The problems come with the back office.
The inventory system is basic to say the least, items sold at the till do decrease the totals, but all purchase quatities have to be done manually, you cannot set min and max stock levels, or re-order levels with the bundled system, so re-orders have to have a physical stock check, I am still trying to work out how this saves me time and money.
Clover relies heavily on thrid party APPs, which they absolve themselves of all responsibility in their T's & C's. These Apps are expensive
(The Shopventory APP is £40 Pm +VAT)
The E-Commerce integration does not work.
The Magento integration is for Magento 1m which was made obsolete in June 2018, and is no longer supported.
The Shopify integration does not work either, and for me failed at the first hurdle, (I have now been waiting 14 days for a fix).
I purchased a barcode reader they recommended, not even their support staff could get it to work, I was promised a fix, five months ago.
In my opinon this system out of the box is not for retail, unless you want to see your profits dwindle through the purchase of expensive APP's.
The actual helpdesk staff are very helpful, but they can only do so much.
The actual management are a nightmare to deal with.
I first presented some of these issues within 30 days and was promised a fix, five months later I am being told that even though I registered those issues it will cost me over £1500 to get out of a 48 month contract.

Pros

The till itself is fantastic, it looks ultra sleek and ultra modern, customers love it.
And that is about it

Cons

It was sold to me as a solution to me retail needs it certainly is not

Rachel

Reviewed on 20/07/2021

Too Simple without the Addition of Add-Ons

In our experience, clover has been nothing more than a fancy credit card reader. Our entire company runs through a third party app that manages clover from the other side. The only use clover has become to us is, to accept payment and we are currently looking into changing to a system that better suits our needs.

Pros

The aesthetic of the hardware fits on par with what is trending. The ability to utilize the barcode scanner is also nice.

Cons

In order to run our business effectively we had to download so many third party apps to do what we had been doing for 30 years on an outdated system. It felt like a slap in the face as it was a turning point for us to upgrade all the systems only to find it was nearly useless for what we needed it to continue doing for us.

MicroBiz Cloud POS

Reasons for Choosing Clover

We were running the old versions of Microbiz (not Microbiz Cloud POS.) We were making the change to integrate our brick and mortar into an online store as well and the options were not ideal for staying with Microboz. Our payment processing provider recommended clover so we went with them in order to not have to change our longstanding relationship with the local payment processing company.

Reasons for Switching to Clover

Cost efficiency and apparent easy of use.
Jeremy

Reviewed on 25/09/2022

Easy to implement and maintain - loaded with great features!

Quick customer service, and a excellent interface, clover make POS a great option.

Pros

Easy to learn and use, with great ability to track inventory and customers.

Cons

The clover monthly pricing nearly doubled in the span of a month, backing out cafe into a corner. I’m still frustrated to be paying for the same features with a $50/month increase.

Pricing and hardware

SalesVu

Reasons for Switching to Clover

POS hardware pricing sale.
Lawrence
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

Customer Service

Trying to get the original set up support is terrible. You will spend hours on the phone on hold, then transferred to another line to start over waiting, only to be dropped and start over. I have had this experience every time we reactivate our machines. Billing is another issue. We use these on a seasonal and reactivation is a nightmare.

Pros

Nice user friendly once up and running.

Cons

Inventory is hard to duplicate in all machines. When you download the template it has several errors when importing.

Reasons for Choosing Clover

Update
Simon
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 27/08/2023

Poor software and a false advertising to pull new customers.

Fun at first, but slowly becoming the worst experience I have ever had with a POS system.

Pros

Nice clean design. Lots of promises that weren't met.

Cons

Their customer service will inform you that they will not give you new terminals despite their failure to operate properly and regardless of their "hassle free exchange policy".Software glitches are abundant and rampant throughout the device. Chase systems although ugly were far more stable and reliable.

Chenna

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

Clover for restaurants

Excellent in every possible way conceivable. We didn't have any major challenges during the last 2+ years of the usage.

Pros

Extremely easy to configure and change on the fly or on the internet, so, you don't have to be next to the machine to change or update anything. I can walk my Manager through this without any issues at all. The customer support is great. They are literally one call away. And anyone from the restaurant can call from the system, so, they don't have to provide any details on the account etc. Also, they can remotely log into the system directly and change things that we request, which is great, so, as a business owner I am not tied up to the system having to do everything myself.

Cons

Some of the features need us to call the Clover Customer Support. Also, in the good old restaurant POS systems you can print the bill and the customer adds the tip manually on paper. Also, the system automatically prints Receipts even though we touch the No Receipt Printed option. They need to fix that to avoid the waste of paper.

Kelly
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

Ideal POS system for a food truck.

Overall a very positive experience! Great for foodservice and customer support has been able to quickly resolve issues whenever they came up.

Pros

The interface is clear, easily navigated and very editable to meet your needs. This has been ideal for our coffee truck that enjoys making custom, often complicated orders.

Cons

"Waking up" the system is a slow process, often takes us somewhere between 5 to 10 minutes every morning. Most days we have to do a full reboot in order to get things operational.

Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS

Square Point of Sale and Shopify POS
Morgan

Reviewed on 5/07/2023

no! D O N T even try to use this product/service.

EXTREMELY POOR. I did everything I could to get the needed support and assistance, and NO ONE was available or able to assist. After several attempts, the BBB will receive the final review and complaint.

Pros

It seemed promising, but nothing was as it seemed at the time of purchase.

Cons

No Customer service, or support.Unable to contact anyone associated with the company.Repeat billing for services and equipment MONTHS after closing account. No way to fix this situation since no one is at the company working.WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND to anyone outside restaurants.The equipment is account, and sales person proprietary...if you would like to sell it or pass it forward to another business person, that is a WASTE of TIME: It is not allowed since your equipment and services are linked to the original sales person only and are not transferable.

• Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

Clover is the lead merchant in 2021

I have had an incredibly positive experience with Clover. I have even called their support system before and the representatives were friendly and efficient. I spoke to a live representative rather quickly who was informed and able to help me. I would give this product a 10/10 easily.

Pros

I love the tap feature. During covid, our dental office has tried to take every precaution to limit the spread of covid-19. Clover has a tap feature so that our staff does not have to handle patient's credit cards which limits exposure. Many major debit and credit cards have this feature and users just do not know! Look for the symbol that has 4 lines on your card and try it sometime! It is very fast and effective! We are also able to email or text a receipt (in addition to printing) so that there is less "touching" and passing involved.

Cons

There is truly nothing that I dislike about this software. If I was forced to answer this question, maybe I could say that the swipe option sometimes needs to be run more than once because it does not read the swipe on the first try; however, 99% of cards use the chip insertion feature anyway!

Raegan

Reviewed on 29/09/2023

Beware of Clover

We were switched over forcibly from Payeezy to Clover with little to no heads up. We literally walked into the office one day and couldn't access Payeezy. Not that Payeezy was that great either, but I could always rely on them to get our deposits. With Clover, they seem to think the depositing part of credit card payments is optional. Every time I call their customer service I end up speaking with 3+ people because no one knows what they are doing. It doesn't matter if you have a case open, they still can't figure out the right people to help you. Not that any of them can.

Pros

Nothing, this is the worst product I have ever worked with. We were with them for two weeks and they shorted us nearly $4,000 in deposits.

Cons

The customer service continues to give us the run around and I am usually on the phone with them for no less than an hour each time. The customer service is CARELESS and do not pay attention to details. We were shorted over $500 in our FIRST BATCH we ever ran with them. Then we were shorted $3300 on the another batch a week later. Their customer service follows-up but they follow up with the wrong details and don't see why not received this deposit is impactful. After less than TWO WEEKS with their service, I found another credit card processing company and switched over.

Dayna

Reviewed on 26/10/2019

Two thumbs up for Clover

I have very much enjoyed learning to use the Clover products. I would recommend these products for anyone.

Pros

Clover payment processing software is very easy to use. Our school takes payments daily with the desktop CloverMini, the easily portable CloverFlex and CloverGo. It is very easy to print out a combined report with the total that will be deposited, yet showing who ran the individual payments. You can also add notes to your transactions and email right from every machine. Super helpful!

Cons

Setting permissions for each person that uses the machines has been a challenge. There doesn't seem to be a manual for the set up, however, our CC service team is amazing and very knowledgeable. The only other thing that bothers me is that you can not void a transaction. Even if you void a transaction immediately, it still goes through and then refunds a day later.

Phillip
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 4/05/2021

Things untold !

All sweet talk and proper verbiage of a slimy sales guy to get you onboard. Talk about all the proper prices and how they will beat every competition. I had used they guys close to 2 years. Long story short, story untold to you is even if you own the machine outright , you can't resell it to another person or business as this will take out another possible chance of them selling the machine. If you ever choose to leave this company , beware of an instant charge of over 500 bucks. I was on a month by month basis and only needed to pay fees per month as per what my sales had told me. I had only stumbled onto all this information because I am starting a second business. But because the business is different and the bank account is different. I cannot use this machine. So now I have a 1300.00 machine sitting around and doing nothing. the icing on the cake was the undisclosed closing fee. No sales guy will ever tell a person its there, but it will be on the documents. I can say the machine is great but I'm not. The people and policy of this company will make me forever to tell everyone to stay away !!

Pros

it was like any other machine out there.

Cons

software was fine, its a brand new machine.

Reviewed on 28/11/2023

Non existent customer service

Horrid experience. In this day and age we have to suffer such incompetence for a high price. Numerous calls no resolution. Agents will not escalate calls. Different department different function wash responsibility from each other between technical, leasing and cs. I cannot emphasize enough how terrible this experience was/is. Continuing battle to get hold of someone.

Square is the way to go! Set up in one day. Customer service agents able and willing to help. So much support for success of small businesses.

Clover will keep debiting your account even if deactivated then no one to fix the problem.

Pros

I have nothing good to say. Worst experience.

Cons

Everything but especially sales, customer service

Alyson

Reviewed on 11/08/2018

Clover for all Merch Needs

We've used the same model for almost 3 years and very had any issue, so I can say I'm one very satisfied customer!

Pros

It's easy to use, it's very similar to a smartphone in that it has apps which are all very user-friendly. There are large buttons. When I need to print receipts or run payroll I can get all the info I need with a few taps on the screen. Our device is the clover mini and had a touch screen, its sleek, it looks very updated VS old-style terminals which is an added bonus. But if you have any trouble... you can just click the "call me" button and a live person calls very quickly and guides you through whatever you need!

Cons

The devices are not cheap, so if anything happened to it that could be an expensive loss. We lease ours and pay protection plan which is well worth the peace of mind!