About NextGen Healthcare

NextGen Healthcare offers NextGen Office—a cloud-based EHR – specifically designed for private practices. NextGen Office is a fully integrated practice management solution that includes specialty-specific content, a claims...

Browse NextGen Healthcare Reviews

1,195 of 1,195 reviews
Cheryl C. Cheryl C.

Reviewed on 19/09/2014

Great potential, but needs some improvement!

Pros

They are improving the product consistently. There have been two product updates since we started with them in March. Customer service has improved greatly as well. 99% of the time someone who picks up the phone and helps you with your problems. They have daily webinars that are free of a particular topic, so you can log in, ask questions, get help, and then log off. The product has a lot of great things such as ease of sending the charges from the docs to the billing department, seeing the exact statement that a patient received so you can talk to them more intelligently, getting lots of detail on the claims, rescheduling a patient from one day to the next, and blocking a portion of the schedule or opening a portion of the schedule.

Cons

You can submit issues via email, but once they respond back, they close the case. Even if they didn't give you the answer you were looking for, you then have to email again and reference the case requiring you to print everything to keep track, because there is no way to follow the status of your case. If you submit feature requests, there is no way to know if they are working on it, aren't considering it, holding it for a future update, etc. There are specific reports that you can get, but if you need something that's not pre-built, there is very little way to obtain the info, if at all. I requested some kind of report writer. The reports all come out as an Excel spreadsheet which is good, because it allows you to manipulate and move around the data, but when you print it's very unwieldy and not pretty. They need to have a way to convert the report to a PDF format once you have it the way you like. Many of the reports don't offer options such as picking providers, locations, payers, so you have to manipulate the report after it opens to delete what you do not need, which is time consuming. The software is extremely dependent on location, which means everything you do has to be done by location creating a lot of work. If you have many offices, your docs do surgery in several locations and they are outpatient or inpatient. Changing or adding something has to be done many times, because you do it by location. It would be easier if there was a drop-down listing your locations and you only had to check the locations to which your additions or changes were applicable. Parts of the software feel as if they are too structured and everything has to fit into their predetermined way to do things. There is not enough flexibility and leeway to change portions that suit your practice. Vendor training was not great when we started and we paid for an outside vendor that works with Healthfusion to come on site and train us. I understand that the help and training portions have changed a bit since then and may be better. It has great potential if they would open up the software and be more flexible!

Kari K. Kari K.

Reviewed on 9/11/2015

I love MediTouch PM Software

Pros

I love the A/R features. I love how fast I get paid by commercial vendors. I love how intuitive it is on helping avoid claim issues. I did not have any issues with implementation. I have had nothing but good experience with support. We have had this EMR for over a year (and I have dealt with a few) and this is by far the best I've used. We have not had any issues with it going down. We have called when we have thought the system was down and they have guided use through issues with browsers, internet speed etc. So we were always glad we called, problems solved when we thought it was on their end. Yes, claim eligibility check is only on some providers but if you get to know how to use it more in depth it can be VERY helpful in further info not just for eligibility but for knowing primary care provider etc. I have had ZERO issues with auto post and yes, I have double checked. I also really like their statement service, I review each statement before I "send" them to them to send for me but no more issues with bad addresses etc and well worth the money. Their "help" section is great. The help sheets are AWESOME. I email support more than I've ever called them and they send me helpsheets when I can't find them.

Cons

I would like a better way to weed out the non paid lines with auto post instead of dumping them all to the appeal bucket. I would like to be able to attach a claim to the billing comments and be able to send them to another employee to review. I wish that I could upload our own forms to save in the system- I do not like the forms library at all, pretty well worthless to us, I would like it if I could upload, name our files and use it that way.

Claire N. Claire N.

Reviewed on 23/06/2011

We are a relatively small 6-provider midwifery practice in Anchorage, Alaska.

We used Lytec for years, but wanted to move to something web-based that was highly functional, but also affordable for mid-level providers. HealthFusion stood out as one of the only companies that was willing to differentiate in pricing between a group of MD's, and a group of NP's and midwives, as the difference in the amount of reimbursement is obviously significant.

We found the [slightly more time-intensive] self-serve training process to be well worth the savings in up-front costs, which was another big difference between HealthFusion and other players in the market, like Advanced MD and NeuMD, to name a few.

We find it quite easy to use, on the whole. We appreciate the fact that when we do make suggestions as to how to improve certain processes or interfaces, our suggestions tend to be adopted, or at least addressed by the engineers, via customer service... And speaking of customer service, theirs really is excellent, as their salespeople will of course tell you. Our calls are always answered promptly and our issues dealt with promptly - plus virtually everyone on their CS staff is extraordinarily pleasant to talk to, so calling CS is never a chore.

I also like the fact that their sales people stay in touch with the customers, so I can always call Greg and get the same level of attention that we did when he was trying to make the sale, which I've discovered is quite rare among other companies.

The only gripe we might have - and I have no way of knowing whether this is unique to them or par for the course among web-based software providers - is that the site does go down or experience difficulties about once every other month, but usually only for a few hours.

Certain processes like posting insurance payments take longer with HealthFusion than with our old client-server software, but that is also partly because our old software just let you input whatever you wanted, whereas HealthFusion has you posting the actual insurance checks before you can apply the payment to claims so that they are linked and verifiable.

This is but one example of how their PM can be more time-consuming to use, but is much more rigorous from an accounting and audit standpoint, which is good overall. I trust the numbers that come out of HealthFusion's PM much more than Lytec's reports for things like outstanding A/R and productivity numbers for each provider. I've had an easier time staying on top of aging claims with HealthFusion than I used to with our old software.

Overall we are very happy with HealthFusion's PM, and are just now starting the process of integrating their EMR into our practice.

Top NextGen Healthcare Alternatives

eClinicalWorks

Cerner PowerChart Ambulatory EHR

Jay M. Jay M.

Reviewed on 18/09/2019

About to go live

In my heart I know, after the growing pains, it will be a good product. They have a lot of videos to watch and webinars available. Call back is never as quick as when you need help.

Pros

2015 certified
APMA partnered to work with them. NextGen uses APMA registry.
Health Fusion was already purchased by NextGen so they aren't going anywhere.
Customizable

Cons

1. It looks great when sales people show you but out of the box requires A LOT of customization. Of course, the good is that it is able to be customized - but YOU do it.
2. YOU do all work. They show you but you DO it
3. Many of the verbage they use looks good until you READ it. Then you realize how many changes YOU need to make.

SammyEHR

Reasons for Choosing NextGen Healthcare

MM closing up shop - sucks

Reasons for Switching to NextGen Healthcare

Sammy not 2015 certified Small company (may be sold) - MM has scared me. Otherwise, this was a GREAT podiatry software
Vicky C. Vicky C.

Reviewed on 28/08/2016

User since 2011

Pros

The EMR portion of the program is very easy to use. You can access it from anywhere to work. I did my billing from the Bahamas one year. It makes meeting the meaningful use criteria very simple, and does most of the work for you, where other programs are much more difficult and too time consuming. The monthly price includes all updates and support, which is very reasonable. They have a great learning site and you can access the information on updates at anytime.

Cons

The billing portion of the system is not up to par if you live in New York State. It does not have a compatible NYS medicaid form, but will charge you if you want them to create one. It's secondary billing posting is awful if it is not able to be auto-posted, which is mostly because of New York State insurances. You have to manually look up in each account a secondary claim number you need to post it to the insurance payment, then go back into the posting module to actually post the payment. You have to create and send each claim individually to insurance companies, unless you want to pay more for them to create batch files. If customer support is not sure about something and they tell you they will get back to you, several occasions I never heard anything and had to repeatedly call back to find out the status.

Joel A. Joel A.
2.5

Reviewed on 8/05/2016

One year of Meditouch now!

Pros

Started Meditouch EHR in 2015 after using a customized EHR since 1970s. Overall this past year a good product for the complexity of my medical office. Patients do like the interface and it is quite nice when I use my iPad Pro. Buttons are nice, clear. Search function is getting better.

Cons

I'm in a unique situation that Meditouch has never encountered. Because of my high complexity lab I have multiple billing lines for each type of bloodwork and Meditouch did not provide a solution. I have had to pay them for a lab interface but also had to purchase a LIS so our lab can communicate with the EHR just like commercial labs. Billing has been a nightmare for my office manager who did not used to spend hours finishing the day. We are a complex office with bloodwork but our per patient payment is much higher than a standard primary care practice. Patient portal isn't great and many patients complain. I miss my
Programmer and having in house support but Meditouch is getting better. Training is not great and there is a lot of learning on the go. My new physician has had difficulty with it and I'm worried about Locums learning it. I wish there was a support group for all Meditouch users to share their concerns and HF has not really provided that. A lot of EMRs use a groupthink method for billing and it would be useful. I wish there was an east coast office but this issue has improved over the past year

Alicia O. Alicia O.

Reviewed on 8/11/2017

The implementation teams, customer service and support teams are very robust

Functionality and ability to customize has been key for our practice.

Pros

I appreciate the various platforms offered and the ability to interface with other products. The support and training is probably the best that I have seen. I love the reports and hate the reports at the same time. Nextgen can retrieve almost any data, but you have to know exactly what to ask it in order for it to pull the data correctly. I also like the support on compliance side of healthcare and regulatory updates. .

Cons

Price, reporting as mentioned above and that since it partners with so many outside vendors that it does not develop things on their own, that I think should be a part of Nextgen. An example would be the HQM. Nextgen should have a platform for a dashboard, but instead they partnered with someone, so that is yet another fee and vendor we would have to work with

James G. James G.

Reviewed on 28/07/2012

I have an OMT practice in Vermont. We were interested in getting free-of-paper charting and billing, and having the freedom to expand to another office. We had no prior experience using EHR's, so I looked at a lot of available programs. We started using our MediTouch EHR in 2011, just before the close of the Medicare E-Rx program. The implementation was easy and I felt I was really getting the hang of it in the four to eight weeks afterwards. My goal was to be able to write a custom note, which involves OMT, diet and nutrition advice, activities and exercises, and specialty referrals. Each of these involved patient handouts to provide the kind of care that we used to do with pre-printed stacks of handouts, and hand-written notes. MediTouch EHR accommodated this easily.

I still perform chart reviews, take my work home to sign, and close each note the following day. I feel that this is especially important for those "Level 4" visits that require documentation for medical necessity. Having thrived from several high-level Insurance Audits in the past, I have full confidence that my notes reflect the encounter, and that they are medically necessary and defensible. MediTouch Representatives have always been great, and with such rapid expansion, they have been able to maintain the quality of their representatives. However, where you used to be able to call for care, we now find that it is easier to e-mail.

I feel that MediTouch's ease of use has benefited my office by providing a quality note that captures the data pertinent to the visit and I am proud to share with my colleagues. I also feel that we easily adapted the E-Rx to avoid the E-Prescribe Medicare Penalty, and we neatly snatched the EHR Incentive for Medicaid, so it has paid for itself. There are several 'free' versions of EHRs on the market but when you consider that MediTouch EHR comes with a really efficient medical management program, I did not have to spend my time baby-sitting collections while I was trying to learn the EHR. We had no loss or delay in income, and my secretary smiles at the end of the day. MediTouch EHR is well worth what you pay for.

Regina P. Regina P.

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

Great service!

Like the customizable templates

Pros

Ease of use and all information in one place.

Cons

Dosage calculator could be better laid out
No app is available

eClinicalWorks

Reasons for Choosing NextGen Healthcare

No templates and not pediatric friendly

Reasons for Switching to NextGen Healthcare

Screen was less “busy” than eclinical works
Dalton B. Dalton B.

Reviewed on 24/07/2020

Limited Customization & Difficult Corporate Team

I would not recommend working with this company/software. There are numerous options in the market at comparable price points that offer superior products.

Pros

Provides standard EMR and Practice Management functionality. If all you're looking for is a simple EMR to track your patient encounters, this software is a decent option.

Cons

1. Extremely difficult to transfer from other EMRs to this system. Beware that there will be a lot of manpower needed in order to get you up and running unless you're willing to pay expensive migration rates.
2. Account management and customer support teams are unorganized and inefficient. Often you have difficulty finding somebody who can answer your questions.
3. The pricing is based on a per physician basis. If you have a provider leave your practice/company, you are not allowed to terminate prior to your next renewal date. You could be left with significant fees for unused licenses if your company has any turnover. Their team offered no flexibility with fees during the COVID-19 pandemic.

EpicCare EMR and eClinicalWorks

Reasons for Choosing NextGen Healthcare

We outgrew P2P mostly due to our desire to bill insurance. The NextGen sales team showed the robust features of the software. Unfortunately, they did not display the difficulties that come withe using this product.

Reasons for Switching to NextGen Healthcare

The cost of NextGen was less that the others. We did not factor in the additional features that come with ECW or Epic. Either would have been a vastly better pick for our company due to the desire to customtize the account to best fit the needs of both our patients and providers.
Jon L. Jon L.

Reviewed on 2/03/2020

Shady ethical practices

In order to get my auto bill pay to stop I had to change my credit card number. NextGen would not stop extracting monthly payment from autopay that I had established years before. This company made a great deal of money from me for the years and the parting thanks was an exit gouge for all the money they could get. I spent many hours in discussion and in correspondence with the company to resolve this issue. Each person with whom I spot expressed understanding but said they didn't have authority to made the decision of turning off the automatic billing, even though I wasn't using the product. They acknowledged that I did notify the company but I notified the "wrong" department.

Pros

It was accessible in the cloud. I was able to free text fairly easily.

Cons

I had to nag my regional representative to get a response. He acted like he just didn't have time to help with issues. I needed to archive my records because I was retiring. My rep and the technical backup team from NextGen did not speak with a different department (billing). The billing department felt that I should given earlier notification in order not to fulfill a yearly billing cycle. It became apparent to me that the various departments don't communicate with each other. The billing department could have honored my telephonic and email communications that I had with two of their other departments and simply closed my account in a month or two. They chose to stiff me for a complete year of billing.

John N. John N.

Reviewed on 20/07/2017

Potentially great product but needs time and money investment

Once time and effort is put into massaging NextGen, it is a very robust and flexible system. This is probably a great system for medium to large organizations that has a dedicated IT person on staff.

Pros

Highly customizable and flexible but at a price. Client (PC) software has a version check feature that will auto-update to the latest version installed on the server. Highly customizable reporting feature.

Cons

Customizibility comes at a price - training and support costs. To get the most out of NextGen, serious training for end-user support as well as IT support is highly recommended. Updates and upgrades can be a little intense as they require technical knowledge.

Kevin Z. Kevin Z.

Reviewed on 23/04/2020

Don't waste your hardwork or time trying to use or implement.

Beyond terrible. Do not waste your time

Pros

None. Beyond bad. The other programs are much better even with some frustation. This is easily the worst.

Cons

1. Nextgen customer service for implentation is an absolute joke. I had spoken to so many different employees and none seem to know what they are doing. Common answer to questions and you are placed on hold while they ask someone else or transferred to the next employee.
2. Difficult to set up. Eclinicals, practice fusion, and athena got it right. Next gen is so wrong. If you are going to make it difficult to set up, maybe have employees trained how to use your program.
3. After about 3 years of using the program and trying to put up with the short comings, I had switched EMR programs. Boy, did I forget how much better my life is with out Nextgen. I can leave work with records completed. Other programs are just so much more efficient.
4. Just when you think you are out of the Nextgen trap. They will hold you records hostage. I was served a subpeona to request for a medical record, patient sueing an employer. I requested the record for 2 weeks and still have not received the record. I had missed the deadline, now probably in contempt of court.
Please save your sanity and choose a different program.

John V. John V.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 6/02/2018

Very Powerful software with good reporting capabilities

NextGen is expanding, acquiring, and seemingly looking towards accomplishing better practice management from start to finish.

Pros

What makes a great software application is usually also what makes a complex application. NextGen is no different in this regard, it has so many features that it takes a fair amount of time to get to know how to use it to it's greatest potential. Unfortunately users don't often take the time to learn all those features and end up spending extra time doing tasks the hard way. If you follow their recommendations you should be satisfied with the results.

Cons

Patient Portal needs work, not web compatible so it requires application software for each client, fairly complex structure can cause speed issues from the convergence of all roads leading into NextGen. Would be nice if NextGen supported a wider variety of 3rd party integration, specifically with more hardware and software (Open office vs Microsoft Office, etc).

Cheryl P. Cheryl P.

I have been using Next Gen PM for 17 years and and have been 100% satisfied

Pros

Next Gen is very user friendly. If you have an issue, the customer service is very knowledgeable. The reporting feature is vital in my position to be as detailed as possible, which Next Gen is. The auto flow process is very easy for the staff to follow.

Cons

There is an old saying, you get what you pay for. Next Gen is a little more expensive than other soft ware. Unfortunately, when upgrading E lectronic Health records any changes to the templates have to be re entered which is extremely time consuming

Laura A. Laura A.

Reviewed on 8/11/2017

Have great support systems in place.

It has helped us meet Meaningful use and has a great reporting tool.

Pros

It's diversity and configurability. It's a very robust program. Our specialty is unique and we've been able to not only configure for our needs, but have worked with NextGen partners to customize some of our needs.

Cons

It is definitely expensive. There seems to be a cost associated with a lot of necessary pieces. They have improved this, but in the past I felt we were nickel'd and dime'd a lot. We are a small practice and every penny counts!

Cheryl R. Cheryl R.

Reviewed on 7/11/2017

Started as an end user for the EPM now I'm an analyst with the system

They have great customer service and are always trying to improve the produce to meet government requirements

Pros

Many options to do most functions, layout of screens, templates role up so screen is not too busy. On the EPM side the appointment schedules are laid out well so you can hover and see information without clicking.

Cons

many options for most functions can cause a lot of confusion for those users who are not technical. with the autoflow there are too many screens, there needs to be one screen that shows everything you need.

Rolly C. Rolly C.

Excellent

Pros

Easy access to tables of all information in the different templates. Easily able to go through the program and generate any documents you wish. Ability to capture all information needed for MIPS/MU. Great customer service support.

Cons

Too much non-essential information for ophthalmology template sets. Work flow takes quite a while if you are used to a New Patient within 10 minutes, you won't be able to do this with NextGen unfortunately, but it does capture EVERYTHING you could ask for.

Lawrence M. Lawrence M.

Reviewed on 25/02/2018

Overall, a very good EHR.

Customer support staff are very helpful.

Pros

Relatively easy to perform key tasks relevant to clinical medicine, including charting an office visit, documenting phone encounters, tasking staff, ordering referrals, e-prescribing medications, maintaining problem lists. Fairly easy to customize templates/documents when desired.

Cons

Our hosted experience has been somewhat lackluster - intermittent performance lags, repeatedly dropped services (interfaces, faxes, offline document generation).

Idi C. Idi C.

Reviewed on 7/11/2017

Great system very user friendly

Pros

It is very easy to use, it makes workflow quick, provider don't have to think as much I have comments "it thinks for you" it calculates coding for you, and also gives you what's due for health maintenance to sum it all up it really is user friendly and overall a great system.

Cons

I don't like the amount of time it takes for slcustomer service to get back to you even though you put it as a number one priority and they done keep the same people working with you when you upgrade.

Alyssa N. Alyssa N.

Reviewed on 7/11/2017

We are an FQHC who utilizes NextGen Practice Management, EHR, NextGen Share, HQM reporting,...

Pros

The software is easy to use. It has a view that is easy for many different types of users to utilize. There are many features that make the system very helpful. You can customize templates, reports, etc.

Cons

There are many items that are broken often, specifically in reporting and templates that can be difficult to navigate till the next hotfix. The additional features can be costly. I do not recommend being on an enterprise as it limits significantly what you can customize.

Rashida J. Rashida J.

Decent PM system but Room for Improvments

Pros

I like the ease of use the product, customization of user preferences from color coding and some of the reporting filters

Cons

I think the product wasn't tested with actual super users/clinical personnel. I say that because often times our users complain of too many clicks, not good workflows, not the ability to customize workflows, etc. However, they work well with what they are given considering the application isn't ASC focused. Support is hit or miss.

Austen P. Austen P.

Reviewed on 6/11/2017

Great product as a whole

We get the functionality required for our practice through customized templates. It would be nice to have more neurosurgery templates and functionality out of the box.

Pros

I like that it offers customization which our practice likes. It lets us add functionality to the program that it does not have out of the box.

Cons

The software seems extremely expensive. With multiple fees per year in maintenance, ect, the cost can sometimes be overwhelming for a small to medium sized practice.

Robin W. Robin W.

Reviewed on 7/11/2017

The system is very easy to maneuver, it is quick and it is efficient and effective.

Pros

The utilization of the program, the icons and the ease of it. Technology I can sometimes be challenged with this and this program is very useable for the high tech person as well as the less tech person.

Cons

It can be slow depending upon what you are downloading but this could be due to the size of the file. The location of the sessions would be excellent if that could be added as that would be another added feature in the future.

John B. John B.

Reviewed on 7/11/2017

The integration and use of the systems are excellent.

Pros

Easy to learn and use. Came from a non-clinical background and had the PM side mastered. Helping other clinics with teaching and wrote training guides for our practices incorporating the best practices of NextGen.

Cons

Really there are few cons to the product. If there is an issue, just get in touch with support and they help you resolve the issue. Recall after ticket submission is a matter of a couple of hours.