About PayPal

PayPal is a digital payment platform that enables businesses and individuals to pay and accept payments through an online portal without revealing any financial details. The solution is suitable for businesses of all sizes. PayP...

Browse PayPal Reviews

21,442 of 19,307 reviews
Sarah B. Sarah B.

Reviewed on 28/09/2021

Every Business's Best Friend

Paypay is our one-stop-shop. We use it for billing, paying virtual assistance who reside in different countries to creating invoices that can be downloaded in PDF or send a link to customers.

Pros

Paypal Business is a no brainer, from setting up new customers, adding products to sell online to invoicing both reoccurring or new customers or using it on your website as a card payment gateway.

We advise our clients to include it as a payment system if they already had one elsewhere. For nearly five years now, we have had no issues except for one time and that was quickly resolved.

Cons

Sometimes clients struggle to find the developer integration key that they end up having to give us login details to collect it and then they change their PW.

Account Ability and Zoho Expense

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

Before switching to business, I had been using PayPay for personal use and loved its features.
Krishnamoorthy K. Krishnamoorthy K.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 28/09/2021

The most trusted online payment processor

In terms of integration, PayPal is the undisputed monarch, with clever payment buttons that can be integrated into any website with the help of a little piece of JavaScript code. When a client clicks a PayPal button, the service automatically completes the transaction in a secure window. It's much faster and easier for customers without accounts, while PayPal users may purchase with only a few clicks.

Pros

While almost everyone is familiar with and has used PayPal for online purchases, its mobile payment software works just as well for paying pals. Purchasing anything online via the app is always free for the purchaser, and the app itself is free to download.

Cons

A $10 cost, as well as a 1% transaction fee, is charged for using PayPal Instant Transfer, which is an add-on service. This additional fee will deposit the funds into your account within 30 minutes or less on business days, but transfers may be delayed on weekends and holidays.

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

Most of my target audience segment had PayPal accounts so it was easier to use Paypal to accpet payments.
Abdul R. Abdul R.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 29/09/2021

PayPal: The leader in online payments worldwide

The over all experience with PayPal is very valuable and easy.it is very powerful and globally accepted payment solution.it should integrate and collaborate with Payoneer and Skrill so that payments could be sent and received through these networks and vice versa.it will further add value to PayPal service features and increase its customer base .

Pros

It is the most useful payment solutions specially sending and receiving payments is very easy .

Cons

It has some limitation on few countries which are not on its supported countries list so PayPal must expand its operations to more countries to increase its outreach.

Top PayPal Alternatives

• Industry: Architecture & Planning
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

PayPal For Everyone

The best decision I ever made for my business. I can finally transact with the rest of the world with confidence and convenience.

Pros

It is the most accepted payment system on the Internet, second to only VISA I think but way more secure and user friendly. The usability is far more accommodating than what other payment processors have to offer and the mobile app is so convenient, it is like having a bank in my pocket everywhere I go.

Cons

Some vendors don't like to use PayPal because they claim that the transaction fees that they have to cough up to PayPal are not worth it and I just learned that they have a business loan department which I would've love to try out but it is only available to U.S citizens:-(

Ayman S. Ayman S.

Reviewed on 25/09/2021

The best Online Payment Platform in the world

PayPal helped me to carry out business and also buy services from different regions of the world, as the speed of the response of the site makes it difficult to be a victim of fraud, as there is no room for any of the customers to say that I sent the amount and similar arguments, as if he actually sent it, the site It will make you receive it immediately, which will make you feel that there is an assistant for you who guarantees your rights.

Pros

PayPal is one of the best electronic payment sites ever in the world, as the site has a network of relationships with all financial institutions around the world and enables the user, especially the owners of small enterprises, to receive and send money for a nominal fee while providing the utmost security and protection and ensuring the speed of execution of orders.
Also, one of the most distinguishing features of the site is the rapid response to all comments and complaints, and the site also provides a center for resolving disputes.
Also, when using it, you will ensure that there is no fraud or money laundering, which enables you to withdraw your money safely and without fear of being detained.

Cons

In fact, I have used PayPal for a long time and I don't think there are any drawbacks, as it depends on the user himself, if all his transactions are legal, all his transactions will be fast and he will not face any problem, and if there are any illegal matters he will expose himself to problems using the application.

Damla E. Damla E.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

Paypal with some shortcomings and excellences

As a Paypal customer, I recommend Paypal to everyone. PayPal can be recommended as it is overly useful for some people to overlook the adaptability and simplicity PayPal offers. While not ideal for everyone, it is an economical and successful device for some. Although several groups have had terrible encounters with PayPal, it is an extremely useful application for me.

Pros

PayPal, Business and Premier records offer many apparatuses for better incorporation with eBay. Along these lines, exchanging on this monster site turns out to be a lot simpler. The straightforward altering and customization options Pal offers are likewise truly keen. PayPal offers the most secure way to deal with web based shopping without concealing any information in my record when shopping on the web and giving over my financial information. I can tell that these are the most popular pnes among the advantages of Paypal.

Cons

Haggling on the site can be troublesome assuming I need to cancel a membership by means of PayPal, and on the off chance that I have a question with somebody and the installment is taken care of by PayPal, they will take up the mediation interaction, which can consume most of the day.

Sadly on the off chance that I run into an issue with an installment, Paypal needs great client support, contact telephone numbers are elusive on the site, and messages are frequently replied with computerized answers as opposed to real counsel.

The PayPal confirmation framework takes a great deal of time, which can be extremely baffling when you connect a financial balance to your PayPal account, two little stores are saved into that record and you might have to report the sums to PayPal to check your own record.

Maciej M. Maciej M.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

Leader in the market, but sometimes there will be hassle.

Thanks to PayPal I have a foolproof way to receive payments from abroad, but their rates are a little bit higher than in other payment gateways. That's why I use it as a backup payment system, because it's not integrated with instant transfers from banks (at least in Poland, I know that you can set it up for example in UK). Customers in Poland prefer to pay with instant bank transfers, that's one thing that PayPal lacks.

Pros

PayPal is a universal, global payment system. I use it not only personally, to receive and send money, but mostly as a payment gateway. Payments go smoothly. It should satisfy all those who want to do business on-line. I like the option to generate quick buttons.

Cons

Deployment (in self-written script) and automation of sales are a little bit harder. Maybe it's because I'm a newbie to programing, but I remembered that setting sandbox account and getting through documentation wasn't that easy. Plus, sometimes navigating through options in menu that I use less is pretty complicated and confusing. That's the only thing that makes me roll my eyes.

Stripe

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

Reason was simple: Stripe is less known in Poland than PayPal, therefore I chose the latter one.
Ozlem P. Ozlem P.

Reviewed on 20/03/2021

Easy way to transfer money

By and large, I am exceptionally happy with Paypal and the scrambled installment technique that it gives my customers. I can send them solicitations rapidly and the email contains a connection for them to pay the receipt right away. They don't have to have a Paypal account which is likewise a major addition since a portion of my customers doesn't straightforwardly have Paypal. They can pay for administrations as visitors. Advantageous and very much fabricated programming.

Pros

I like it since It's a free alternative to get and send installments anyplace on the planet. Because of the site intergradation particularly with Shopify, I'm ready to get installments through PayPal. The android application is stunning to oversee everything in one spot and furthermore, I use it to send cash with no issues. I use PayPal since 2013 and it's my best option when I pay something on the web since, in such a case that something incorrectly happens I have the choice to ask PayPal for a discount and I will get it with no issue. PayPal Protects purchasers one than some other Payment administrations and I truly full I'm protected constantly from con artists on the web and I can't believe any Payment supplier as I confide in PayPal.

Cons

The expense structure in case you're not a believed seller can feel a piece catching as there is an obligatory stand-by period before they will deliver your cash to you. It is highly unlikely inside the product to facilitate the interaction and there is no simple method to contact PayPal thusly. The other issue with the application is that once you enter in a check card number or a Visa number the application will not allow you to eliminate it until they are evidence that your record is clear.

Lee A. Lee A.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

Excellent Online Payment Option with a High Level of Security

I'm very happy using this service in general since 2013 and it helped me to get paid for the services my company offer and also, helped me to send money and I made hundreds of PayPal transactions and I never had any problem.
I will keep using it, and I will recommend it to anyone who's looking for a payment service with the best options and an excellent support team available 24/7.

Pros

I like it because It's a free option to receive and send payments anywhere in the world.
Thanks to the website intergradation especially with Shopify I'm able to get payments through PayPal.
The android app is amazing to manage everything in one place and also, I use it to send money without any problems.
I use PayPal since 2013 and it's my first choice when I pay something online because if something wrong happen I have the option to ask PayPal for a refund and I will get it without any problem.
PayPal Protect buyers one than any other Payment services and I really full I'm safe and protected from scammers online and I can't trust any Payment provider like I trust PayPal.
Transaction time is very fast compared to most banks I have used and I'm very happy with the great job they do.
I like using PayPal to pay for goods and services online and I really find the "pay with credit card" option very helpful because I don't need to put my credit card details in some websites.
I use PayPal for ease but, It also makes me feel safe using it and the best thing is they never held any of my funds when we use PayPal for business and I get the funds in my account once the product is shipped to the customer.
PayPal support team is great and very helpful because one time I had a problem and I emailed them to fix it and they called me within 24 hours and fixed it in a few minutes.

Cons

The fees is a little higher compared to some payment services but, It's not a deal breaker since you will get more value compared to those platforms.
I hope in the future they will add more options and features to the android app.
I hope they can add an option to tell us how much money the receiver will get when we send a payment including the fees.

• Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

Best Money Management for me Personally and with my business

I love this business solution. I don't know how i would have grown so fast without this service. PayPal was easy to set up when I started my business. After 5 years this is still my first choice to take credits cards in my store, on the go though Facebook and even my website. I even took advantage of the PayPal working capital loans to keep up with my growing business .

Pros

Paypal makes everything easier: getting paid, sending money, sending invoices, buying supplies, using a credit card and having a credit card reader for my store and all my vendor shows on the go.

Cons

I wish the credit cards statements were easier to read and more streamlined with everyday charges, payments ( Debits and Credits) and fees. Also my credit card readers had an internal battery that only lasted 2 years. The new reader has to remain -plugged in not to have a delay in usage and the credit cards fees keep increasing over the years

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

PayPal set me up for free, answered all my questions on my first customer service call. sent me free reader and the the credit card reader stopped working they replaced it with a better reader for FREE - They earned my Loyalty over and over. .
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 9/12/2020

Extremely Easy - Safe - The Future

I would 100% recommend everyone to use Paypal as I believe their system will be the future to payments, especially after the pandemic ends and people are conscious about physical money and cards. Their new QR code payment system may become the norm in the coming years, similar to how the app WeChat is used for most online and in-person purchases in China. There are very few negatives to using Paypal in my own experiences.

Pros

The user interface for Paypal is as simple as it gets. Instead of clicking on multiple tabs, everything a user needs to see is on the home page when they log in - send/request money buttons, recent transactions with users, account balance, Paypal credit balance (as well as available credit and minimum payment due date), and banks/cards that are connected.
The Paypal credit system is a huge plus - barring a credit limit, you can use Paypal Credit just like a credit card and pay off the credit over time (the first 6 months being interest free). This makes payments extremely easy if you have enough money to pay but are not comfortable completely paying everything at once.
Paypal is used on almost every online store which makes them extremely convenient to use compared to any other online payment system.
Another huge advantage to Paypal is the security - they will alert you immediately if there is suspicious activity and also have two factor authentication (which I think should be required if it isn't already).

Cons

In regards to livestreaming, some livestreamers had issues with people donating money to them, charging back the money to spite the streamer, and then Paypal would side with the people charging the money back. Streamers would then end up losing money since they had to pay fees on the chargebacks. As far as I know, this situation is better for streamers but I think Paypal should still listen to their consumers more about problems relating to this as it was an ongoing issue for a while.

Avash K. Avash K.

Reviewed on 14/11/2020

One of the Best Platforms for Online Payment

I love PayPal. Using it is as easy as browsing the internet. I can receive and request payment from clients all over the world in few minutes as it is accepted in almost all country. It's also easy to track incomes and financial activities. PayPal has made my professional life a lot easier.

Pros

As a part-time freelancer, I have clients from many countries and I use PayPal most of the time to receive money. With PayPal, I can receive money, request money from clients and send invoices instantly to clients and all at a very low cost. I also feel that my information is secure on PayPal as they are a bit ahead in Information Security than other similar platforms. It is also easy to shop online using PayPal as it is accepted in almost all major platforms. Paypal has great and minimal User Interface, so it's very intuitive to use it.

The feature I like most is that we can create a PayPal.me payment URL and also embed it in websites. I also like that we can create a pool and then pay in a team.

Cons

Sometimes they lock your account for unknown reasons and it can be frustrating but those things are necessary to keep scammers and fraud out of PayPal so they aren't big deal. However, I have experienced bad errors a few time during checkout. I don't know why it happens but has happened multiple times to me.

Jason W. Jason W.

Reviewed on 8/08/2020

Highly Recommended Product

Paypal is a excellent service for any e-commerce solution people with or without paypal can securely enter info for payment without any fear of identity theft, scam, or leaked info. Their Top security makes them our number 1 choice 5 years in a row.

Pros

Paypal is great because its very secure and anonymous. What i mean by that is no one can know the card numbers used or taken its all by order and transaction numbers so no one can steal info so its great and recommended.

Cons

The only thing i find least appealing is that the resolution center most likely take the customer side, which in some cases is them getting over but customers are always right.

Ahmed E. Ahmed E.

Reviewed on 27/04/2020

Satisfaction guaranteed

My overall experience with PayPal has been amazing. It is the only secure program I can trust while ordering medical supplies for me and my team at the hospital, regardless from what website I may need it from online. I’m able to receive transactions from the whole team to be able to pay for something under one transaction which is very helpful to have, to have everyone to pitch in at the same time. Being able to see the history of my usage is always a good way to help me keep tract of when I bought something.

Pros

PayPal is very easy to use for all ages. It is the most secure program while doing transactions. The security is very high and that relaxes me while using PayPal. If someone logs in from a different place than you normally log on with they raise a flag. Customer services is very helpful when you need them. You are able to shop online without worrying about being scammed regardless of the website. You can receive money from anyone very simply. You are able to even send your money on your account to your linked bank account for free! You can receive money on it without worrying about giving out your personal bank information or any other personal information. It’s very helpful for me in a hospitals to buy the supplies I need online that I can not find around me especially during this pandemic going on currently. It secures your credit card that you use as well. Being able to have your account via smartphone on the PayPal account is very useful.

Cons

I dislike not being able to use my account internationally. If I am going on a mission hospital trip overseas, would be nice to be able to receive money via transfer on my PayPal account and deposit in my bank account as I am able to do in the US. It takes a lot of time to process things at times , if I am waiting for a payment from someone it normally takes days. If You could do it instantly would be way more convenient for us. Even in the US I am not able to use it anywhere I’m wanting to , I find certain deals a lot cheaper on websites but it does not have a PayPal feature.

Anvita S. Anvita S.

Reviewed on 17/04/2020

I Use PayPal Often

My overall experience with PayPal has been positive. It was only recently I had issues with the transactions not going through and my money being withdrawn then returned for each failed attempt but I never had issues before. I love how convenient and fast it is, and that I don't have to go get my wallet or type in card details. I also have used it when people had to pay me and I love that it comes to my account automatically and I can easily transfer it to my bank. Highly recommend taking a few moments to make a PayPal account for all these free conveniences!

Pros

I love how convenient PayPal is to use when I leave my wallet in the car or somewhere far from me and I am too lazy to go get it (lol) because most online stores I shop from have PayPal as an option for payment method. It is worth taking a few minutes to create an account for the amount of convenience during checking out. You don't need to type in your card every time either! I also like that I can log in to my own PayPal account and view my transaction history to make sure everything looks normal and that there's customer service available when it does not. I love the convenience and that most stores utilize this fast checkout method! I also like that I have the option to transfer money to my back for a very very small fee immediately, or that I can wait a couple of days and it hits my bank account in a reasonable amount of time.

Cons

What I like least about this software is that there has been a few times where I check out, and the page comes to an error so I try again. Once I had to try again 3 times and the payment never processed. Next day I checked my bank account and I had those 3 attempts are card payment holds pending! It wouldn't be a big deal except the total in my account deducted for each attempt! Fortunately the charges fall off and the money comes back automatically when the purchase is not verified complete, but it can take anywhere from 1 day to several days to get the money back and it's not fun when you're running low on cash!

Daniella B. Daniella B.

Reviewed on 27/03/2020

Awesome Overall

PayPal makes it easy to exchange money online.This software is tried and true year after year. I will definitely recommend PayPal to anyone who asks.

Pros

I love the ease of use. I enjoy the security they offer, and the various settings they offer to you. PayPal is a proven platform for business and personal users alike. They offer a level of security and protection that is unmatched with many financial softwares.

Cons

Though widely accepted, PayPal isn't widely used among many popular services available today. There was also a lack of customization when it came to things such as my preferred name.

Coinbase Commerce

Reasons for Choosing PayPal

PayPal has a very good and long-lasting reputation.

Chime

Reasons for Switching to PayPal

PayPal gives me the security I need for both my personal and professional lives.
Brian G. Brian G.

Reviewed on 29/02/2020

The original virtual wallet

I'd say it started out rough but through perseverance and patience (on the customer's side of things) we now have a fairly good financial platform to conduct basic financial transactions with ease and peace of mind.

Pros

Longevity-- PayPal has been in the game since 1998. In my opinion, they are the original virtual wallet allowing for financial transactions to be processed with as little as a click of a mouse.
Innovation- PayPal revolutionized digital wire transfers and made sending money between friends and financial institutions a breeze. They eliminated the need to physically go to brick and mortar locations which propelled them into a different class from their competitors like Western Union and MoneyGram.
Security- Starting out as a software security development company for handheld devices known as Confinity, PayPal's notoriously safe and secure methods of transfer and payment processing is intrinsic to its core values. This level of security allows PayPal to continue to expand it's financial services to more than 200 countries and regions making it the go-to service for a plethora of small business owners, individuals, and even entire countries.

Cons

Customer Service- It's honestly atrocious. I'll admit that through the years it has gotten better however you better hope and pray your money doesn't get stuck in some transaction because you'll be pressed to get a straightforward response let alone a resolution from the "customer service" department. PayPal has definitely ironed out some major kinks in their systems however when things go bad they really go bad. I have had friends who've business accounts have been randomly shut down citing some obscure terms and service violations. Meanwhile, thousands of dollars of their money is being held hostage in frozen accounts. The process to recover your funds isn't entirely possible with frozen accounts which leaves merchants with money they are unable to access and steps to take that are not possible. I am talking years of legal mumbo jumbo just to get their money released to them... So I caution you ... TREAD LIGHTLY and read every bit of the fine print to make sure you are in compliance with their terms of service so they do not get you on some technicality which leaves you with a lifetime ban from the platform and o way of getting the money that is rightfully yours.

Reviewed on 17/02/2020

Great for sending and receiving payments

Overall I am satisfied with PayPal from the ease of sending and receiving money to know that my purchases are protected and my account is protected from fraudulent activity.  It's my number one go-to when paying online and when it's not available at the merchandisers website and I have never used them before I rethink my purchase and usually back out. No PayPal pay no buying for me.

Pros

I have used PayPal for years and I can honestly say that when using a payment app I recommend this %100! The first thing I love is how my friends and family can send me money or vice versa for no fee. I use their PayPal cash card to spend my PayPal funds the only bad thing with that is that the ATM fee's are upwards of $5 please change that PayPal please. I don't recommend sending it to your bank due to how long it takes to post to your bank and the fee you are charged. That's why I use the card that you can get free with your account. I'm mainly a buyer but I do at times sell things and it works flawlessly. The best part of it all is whether you receive or use it to purchase products etc. You have the PayPal Purchase protection first your purchase information is secured because they don't share your full financial information with sellers. Secondly they have 24/7 monitoring. Thirdly they have a dispute resolution if there is a problem with a transaction and I have personally had to use this twice since using} and PayPal was able to resolve the issue and I received my money back. Now it takes a while for it to finally get resolved but it gets resolved. I receive money to PayPal through completing survey's and other part-time jobs online and I have never had a problem receiving it.

Cons

When you call customer service most of the time you can not understand the representative that's supposed to be helping you. I've actually hung up and called back two or three times until I was able to reach someone I could understand. Secondly, this is a good and frustrating issue is that all the multi-authentication you have to go through just to long in. I mean it's great to know my account is secure but can't they make it any easier? And if your account gets locked oh boy that's a headache.

Ethan R. Ethan R.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 13/02/2020

I use PayPal to pay my bills and receive payments.

I have not had any negative experiences myself but its a really good idea to thoroughly read through all of the terms of service before using PayPal to run a business as you should with any service.

Pros

One of the best pros I can list for this service is that it makes controlling your bill payments very convenient. When it comes to many services nothing is more inconvenient than having to call your service provider to cancel your services when you wish to stop service. I need to cancel various services from time to time to allow for fluctuations in my income as being a freelancer I can never know when I will need to "tighten my purse strings" as the saying goes. I use PayPal to pay my bills whenever a service allows me to because when you need to stop all of your superfluous services like say NetFlix or Amazon Prime, etc, etc PayPal makes extremely easy. All you have to do is disable all of your payment methods like debit and credits cards you have provided to PayPal and PayPal will not be able to make your payments and the services will subsequently not be able to charge you causing what ever services you have connected to PayPal to end until you update your payment methods. It saves me so much time because with this method I don't have to individually login to each service I have connected to PayPal and cancel them.

Cons

Its not an unreasonable practice but the major con in using PayPal is their fees for business transactions. When it comes to refunding fees when a business uses PayPal to receive payments for products or services PayPal charges a non-refundable fee when you use it to take a payment for your products or services and in the event that a business using PayPal has to refund a customer they have to take the hit if they want to give that customer a full refund and this can be quite a hefty loss depending on the amount of the transaction. So if you are using PayPal to take payments you really should make certain that you will not later need to refund the customer you are receiving the payment from, inform the customer that you will not refund the fees paid to PayPal, or charge a fee yourself for the customer to use PayPal in your transactions to cover any potential loses.

Adam B. Adam B.

Reviewed on 6/02/2020

EASY ONLINE METHOD WHERE YOU CAN PAY FOR ANYTHING ONLINE WITHOUT ANY RISKS

Overall, as I’ve mentioned previously I do like Paypal a lot as it’s very secure and easy and very fast to make transactions to people or online businesses and it saves time not using your cards or putting in your card details. Apart from a negatives about freezing someone’s account I can’t really say anything else bad about PayPal. PayPal is the biggest online money company in the world it’s services and customer services are excellent so I’ve had nothing but good experiences as it’s quick, easy and accepted that’s all you want in a website to help with your money.

Pros

What I love about PayPal is that it’s so easy to use! When you start up you create your account and add all your details and bank information and it’s very quick and secure and it’s nothing to worry about your bank details being disclosed or threats of scam on your cards and finding your information so secure it’s on here is key and excellent as that a a top priority for a money site like this. I know a lot of people that avoid PayPal or companies don’t use online payments as people with credit cards or so on can get unwanted party’s adding money into your account or people finding your details and taking money instead. If this happened credit card and bank companies would help get your money back or whatever scenario you have, put it could take a long time for that to happen so you’d be dealing with a long wait and uncertainty to what’s actually happening. With PayPal though you will not have any problems with people taking your information or any fraudulent activity and if there was PayPal would be on the case straight away and would sort the dilemma and sufficient as possible as it’s customer service is excellent and making sure your account and money is closed off from other people. Lastly you can create and send invoices through your account to family, friends or businesses and this is an excellent way to send money and very easy to use without any hassle at all.

Cons

To be honest I’ve been using PayPal for quite sometime and I haven’t had. Major problem on it but there are only a few things which could improve the software, first of all chargebacks.... whenever you receive or send money PayPal will take a fee of your payment and if it’s on eBay for example it would take 5-10% of the transaction. Furthermore another situation is PayPal can freeze someone’s account and people report this to PayPal that there accounts have been frozen for no reason. The reason PayPal do this is because they check everyone’s transactions and if they feel like there is a particular transaction that looks like unusual behaviour like a very larger than usual sum being sent through there system they will freeze your account. When your account is froze it will stop you from making any transactions and you won’t be able to use your money or withdraw it either. In addition if you’re buying something online PayPal can freeze that money and it may refuse to list the ban until the item has been delivered which causes hassle and life difficult for retailers.

Varun R. Varun R.
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 18/01/2020

Simple and effecient

I have been a member of paypal for the last 5 years. I have had great experience with them. There are new players in the market like cash app and venmo, but for me personally, Paypal has been very convenient to use.

The only place I think they should improve is having better customer service when there is a dispute. Apart from that, I have no issues with Paypal and I highly recommend it to others to use.

Pros

Here is what I love about paypal:
- You can setup an account in a few minutes. All you need is a valid email id and a bank account.
- There is no fee for signing up not any monthly fee to maintain an account.
- It is used by a large number of merchants both online and in store, all around the world.
- You can send money to a friend/family member living in a different country via their feature called 'XOOM".
- There website and their pone app is ways to use.
- One can link a credit or debit card to their paypal account in seconds.
- They have an awesome return shipping policy. If you buy a product online by paying for it via paypal and don't like it, you ca return the product and the return shipping cost (up to $30) will be paid by paypal 12 times in a year! That is hassle free shopping.
- Once you link your credit card via paypal and shop online, your credit card details are hidden and you never have to disclose your credit card information online ever again.
- They sponsor special discounts for customers that shop with PayPal at selected retailer stores. For instance, you can sometimes buy a gift card of $25 for just $20. That is a $5 saving you get for free.

Cons

This is where paypal can improve:
- Their dispute resolution is not as great as the that of traditional credit card companies. In my years of having an account with paypal, I have had only once instance where I had to file a dispute for a damaged item that I received from China. I was asked to send back the damaged item to the seller without even getting a return shipping label.
- I have had friends whose accounts have been frozen for no reason with no prior notice. However, I have personally not had any issues with them so far.

Ignacio araujo C. Ignacio araujo C.
  • Industry: Translation & Localisation

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

Sill a reference for payments, but fees became too high. There may be better options out there.

PayPal is probably one of the first and most famous payment platforms. It's still a reference for freelancers that render services to foreign clients. I've been using it for years and never had any problems to receive and pay with them, as well as to withdraw funds to my local bank.

However, their fees became too high if compared to other peers in the industry. Also, they apply a high conversion fee when you need to convert your foreign payment to your local currency.

In short, it's a reliable and effective option as a platform, service and company, but you may expect to spend a bit more than 10% of your gross payment when receiving money with them.

I've been looking for better options from a cost-effectiveness perspective, but still use them in some cases.

Pros

- It's still a reference in the industry. As a freelancer, I can receive payments from almost any client using this tool.
- It's easy to use and you can quickly transfer payments received from anyone in the world to your local bank account.
- It's a traditional and reliable company in this industry (an important point when it comes to your money).

Cons

- Fees became higher and higher. Now, I'm paying around 6,5% to receive payments from my clients using PayPal.
- In addition to those high fees, they also discount a high spread on exchange rate conversions. Usually, you will convert money to your local currency with a 4,5% discount on the mid-market current rate (i.e., considering both fees, you may expect to be taken more than 10% of your gross payment).
- Recently, they changed their policy in Brazil and now I can't hold a USD account with them. This means I'm forced to convert any payments to Brazilian Reais as soon as I get paid, which may not be a good option depending on the exchange rate at that moment.

Brandon C. Brandon C.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 7/12/2019

User Friendly Money Services

PayPal makes it easy to pay employees as well as make business purchases online and in store. You can cash a check (for a small fee) quickly using the mobile app. As previously mentioned, the ability to send invoices to clients is extremely convenient. It's just an overall great provider of money services whether it's for business use, personal use or both.

Pros

I like the fact that it can be used to easily send and receive money for business and/or personal purposes. It allows you to create and send invoices as well as currency conversion. Most of the services offered are free while the rest are provided at a very reasonable price. PayPal will provide you a personal and/or business debit card that can be used at many ATMs free of charge. When you consider that most of the services provided by PayPal don't cost a thing, you just can't beat it.

Cons

There's not much to dislike. I suppose I would like more options when it comes to contacting customer support. The 2 options provided (phone or online chat) are not always sufficient. I would like the option to contact support via e-mail and possibly even SMS.

Candace G. Candace G.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 7/12/2019

12 years and still loving it!

I cannot say enough good about them. They have always been accurate, they have always backed me as a customer, they have always solved my issues while on the phone with me.. it has never taken more than one call to get answers. I have used them for 12 years and continue to love the ease of the sotware.

Pros

I have been using PayPal as my primary method of receiving payments from clients for 12 years. The ease of use is incredible. My favorite thing about it is that it doesn't take long for the money to drop into my PayPal account once it has been sent. It is truly received within minutes! The other thing I love about it is when there is a problem, such as something I canceled still withdrawing money from the account, PayPal gives me the money back immediately and tells the person who did it to prove they were allowed to. Traditional banks go through an entire chargeback claim and it can take weeks. With PayPal it is while you are on the phone. They call it a provisional credit, while they investigate. They stand behind their customers!
I have also used their credit card collection machine. It is a small device that attaches to my phone when I want to take payments, such as for goods at a craft fair). People can use their payment account or use their PayPal debit card to pay. The transaction goes through smoothly and I am not beholden to credit card processing companies for crazy fees. Paypal is much much less expensive.

Cons

On very rare occasions it will go down. I think maybe 5 times in 12 years it has happened to me. When it happens money cannot drop in or be sent out, so you are stuck waiting till they fix the problem before you can conduct business. However, I have never known it to take more than a few minutes to get it done. It doesn't happen much now, but a few years ago it was something I did not like.
Also, the software is fee based, so there are charges for money coming in and money going out. That is no fun.

Beth H. Beth H.

Reviewed on 5/12/2019

PayPal Streamlines a Small Business's Flow of Money

PayPal is an indispensable part of my small business.

Pros

PayPal not only makes sending and receiving money super easy, with a business account it tracks everything and creates reports that come tax time makes preparing your return super easy. On the rare occasions I have had to interface with customer service, it has always been a pleasant and productive interaction

Cons

The transfer can be slower than other services. Other services can do instant transfer but for this you have to pay extra with PayPal.