About Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex is a human capital management solution that's designed using web-based modular technology and a dedicated service center to help meet the HR needs of employers of any size and industry. With a single login, users can...

3.9
4.1
3.9

Browse Paychex Flex Reviews

1,166 of 1,166 reviews
Steven r W.

Reviewed on 8/06/2021

Calm in a sea of changing regulations

We had considered hosting our own payroll, however, with the craziness of COVID and regulations we are very happy we chose a partner provided and supported solution. Saves us time chasing new regulations and forms and the dreaded amendments.

Pros

The customer service makes the product easy to use. The support makes the product as with many payroll software products it will do what you want you just have to find the right entry and set up.

Cons

At times its so complete it can be overwhelming to find some less used features you had found before. Again they are all like this but the customer support makes this a breeze as you can actually talk to a human being that listens and helps.

Payroll Relief

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

ADP client support is a nightmare from our experience. From changing sales people to unreachable customer support.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We actually tried it and it was not even close to what we had hoped. Paychex customer support makes it the only choice for us.
Cody M.
  • Industry: Entertainment

Streamlined and Simplified Payroll Processing and Ancillary HR Services

Thus far, the experience has been positive and meets all needs of the company. Tax compliance, W-2s, time keeping, and benefits admin all went smoothly through a full annual cycle. The customer service response times are within a reasonable range, and the mobile app surprisingly is very useful due to the simplicity of the overall platform. Employees can also self-serve make a certain number of changes to things like addresses or banking info without the need for an HR team member to service such requests.

Pros

The ease of onboarding and implementation (compared to ADP, for example), as well as the streamlined processes that allow for staff who may not be payroll professionals to accurately run payroll & benefits to a high degree of efficiency.

Cons

The functionality for contractors isn't as great as some other providers I've used in the past (PayReel, for instance). Additionally, the level of sophistication for tax issue or researching problems from state notices, etc. isn't the best I've seen though it is certainly adequate.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Cheaper and more streamlined solution for a smaller company that may not require dedicated payroll teams and a very high level of white-glove service.

Dayforce HCM

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Presented the clearest and best use case for a small to mid-size company which a mix of hourly and salaried staff. Also not having a dedicated payroll expert on the team necessitated a platform that is easy to use and does not have a steep learning curve (ADP, for instance).
Kate V.
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Not user friendly, slow, difficult

Having used a custom made timeclock at another company, as well as used ADP, I do not have a lot to compare against but would guess that almost anything would be better than this.

Pros

There is nothing - if I had the authority to switch, I would.

Cons

The interface is clunky and makes managing time punches difficult - there are nuances that are not intuitive where you have to enter or edit a punch in a very specific way or it will cause duplicates or the system will try to combine it with another punch which means that sometimes you have to do it multiple times in slightly different ways before you get the desired result. The reporting is also not intuitive, the wording used for templated report names is vague so that I have to go through many to find one that I want. We've experienced multiple and not infrequent issues with the program from employees logging in to a white screen, to managers not receiving notifications of time off requests which can cause significant issues.

Top Paychex Flex Alternatives

Terri G.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

Paychex Flex Great for small organizations

The overall experience has been positive.

Pros

The time tracking feature is helpful to small companies who use the "honor" system as their time tracker

Cons

I think the software would benefit by being a little more user friendly

Paycom

Time tracker, benefits

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paycom didn't return our requests to learn about their product.
Anthony S.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 5/05/2022

Many features, great value, options to expand capabilities

Paychex Flex seems to do it all: You can access all your HR forms, sick and vacation time, timesheets, if you're a manager you have access to your team, complete HR actions, and much more. The mobile app runs basically the same, although it isn't the most touch-friendly app, it gets the job done. All the features work well, and while the app isn't the most user friendly, it is more than serviceable. There are also features that would be great for our team if we used them, like integration with other HR apps, but that's more an organizational issue. We switched from a different HR app which was completely unusable, and we've been happy ever since.

Pros

It does everything we need for the organization: payroll, time clocks, tracking, coding time, HR benefits, vacation and sick time, organizational forms, etc. There are also a lot of features that we just don't use as an organization. For instance we use a scheduling app (Homebase) for some of our employees and you can integrate Paychex into Homebase to handle the payroll. We came from another system that was very clunk and difficult to use, so the simplicity of Paychex was a breath of fresh air.

Cons

The biggest issue I have, and just a disclaimer I might not be the best trained, is that employee management is time consuming. It's not super difficult, but I often have trouble finding employees on my team, checking and modifying their time, etc. Also signing forms is a bit cumbersome because you have to click around the document yourself, something more like Verisign would be very helpful when dealing with forms.

Christopher L.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Great customer service and excellent scalability

Keeps track of employee information and is able to run reports for information that we use daily. I.e. employee birthday tracking, minor list, pay rates by department etc

Pros

Very easy to use but powerful at the same time. Being able to have applicants move along from application to onboarding to hired into payroll using the same software is very convenient. Integration with point of sale software works great. We have had two different POS systems and integration with both was perfect.

Cons

Onboarding individuals is sometimes an issue. If the individual has a flex account from another company or has applied with multiple different email addresses can cause issues. Always make sure to search for an applicant before entering into onboarding.

Lenny K.

Reviewed on 29/04/2022

A simple HR system for employees

I overall enjoy the system vs ADP.

Pros

Paychex Flex is easy to use. You login, authenticate, you get all pertinent info as an employee, including login/logout function depending on your role. I see my retirement funds, health plans, PTO, paystubs, and W2s.

Cons

The retirement funds UI is lacking. It takes more time than necessary to see monthly/quarterly performance, calculate my own contributions, etc etc.

Joan W.

Reviewed on 26/05/2022

Robust and easy to use

Pros

I really liked Paychex Flex during the time my company used it. It was easy to use and accessible both from my desktop and mobile phone. It was a simple interface that didn't take up a lot of time to use. I could see where I was in my time for the day quickly at a glance. You had flexibility about how you entered your breaks and meals as well.

Cons

Some people were having trouble with their time punches and notes. Time clock notes are limited to a couple of sentences and sometimes the time punch wouldn't register and you'd have to go back and correct it. I didn't mind because for the most part, the software was very easy to use.

David N.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Wouldn't recommend

Poor, either it didnt have all the features for a company of our size or it was never implemented by our payroll team. I assume its the first as our subsequent systems have all hard PTO and time tracking integrated.

Pros

This software is a poor mans ADP. It was most useful as a time clock for our deployment

Cons

Software struggled with punches, PTO and reporting. As a manager of a large team it was very difficult to track PTO or who was scheduled to be out with out the use of another product.

Ariana B.

Reviewed on 31/05/2022

Paychex Flex Review

Pros

We use Paychex Flex for our payroll and haven't run into any major issues with this yet. The implementation team was great when we were getting this started as they were very helpful and answered all of our questions. On the admin end it is going well, but our employees do not like it as much.

Cons

It isn't very user friendly and the customer service is not great which comes to be an issue when our employees are reaching out to them with questions. We get many complaints about this feature.

Eric S.

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Everything we need and more

Paychex Flex has cut the time we spend processing payroll requests in half, if not more. Giving employees the ability to make most changes on their own allows our Payroll Admin to focus on other parts of the business that require more attention.

Pros

I love that I can get new employees set up as users during their onboarding, then this becomes their one-stop-shop for all things payroll. They can access this site to get their pay stubs, make changes to their direct deposit, enroll/change health benefits, and even make adjustments to their 401k plans.

Cons

The only real con I have found with this system is that employees can not make changes to their mailing addresses themselves. They are still required to fill out a form for our Payroll Admin and he has to call Paychex to make the change. This seems like something simple that employees should be able to do themeselves.

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Paychex Flex offered us everything we were looking for in one package at a very affordable price.
Kanwal R.

Reviewed on 7/05/2020

Great product

Customer service is the only downside. Otherwise, we are happy with the system itself.

Pros

We used to rely on our accountant in the past. This is a great way to have access to anything at anytime. Another perk is that the employees are able to review their tax documents remotely as well.

Cons

This is not really related to the software itself, but the customer service continues to be an ongoing problem. God forbid if you receive a notice from EDD or IRS, you'll be chasing behind people to follow up. I wish whatever forms are submitted, we can have access to them from a particular page along with the outcomes.

QuickBooks Time

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

We switched our time entries to Paychex Flex too because Timesheets.com doesn't have a proper tracking system for paid time off.

Timesheets.com

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Price and everything being under one place
Emmanuel V.

Reviewed on 5/11/2019

Good product overall

It's a good product for a small to medium size company. Again, my review is from a user standpoint, not an administrator. I really have no negative remarks for Paychex Flex.

Pros

Recording time is relatively easy.
W2s and paysubs are easily obtainable
Easy to navigate

Cons

From a user standpoint, nothing really.

Paylocity

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

This was a decision made by upper management.

Paylocity
Erin S.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 13/10/2017

Paychex Flex gives me peace of mind

Overall, I have been very pleased with Paychex as a company and their online platform, Paychex Flex.  I have the peace of mind that our payroll is in capable hands.

Pros

It is easy to use and it gives me a peace of mind that our company's payroll is in capable hands. Their customer service is great. Each customer has a dedicated payroll specialist, so every time I have a question I am talking to the same person. Our payroll specialist has always been very helpful any time I have had weird situations or questions.

Paychex withholds all the appropriate taxes for both the employee and employer and then files them when the appropriate government entities. Our business is located Ohio, which has a complex tax structure including both state and local taxes. Paychex has saved me so much time and stress.

Cons

I wish that Paychex Flex tracked pay increases. That is the only thing that I liked better about our previous payroll provider. Our previous payroll provider had a tab that showed an employee's salary history and the date of each raise. Paychex Flex does not have this, so I have to track it separately.

I wish they had a more intuitive reporting function. The standard payroll reports are laid out very well and are very easy to run, but if I need to run a report that it out of the ordinary, I usually end up calling my payroll specialist because I can't find the report. To be fair, the couple of times this has happened I have been looking for a report having to do with workers comp and since workers comp is run by a government entity in Ohio it has some added complexities.

Reviewed on 26/02/2022

Way better services out there for cheaper prices

Do not rely on them to let you know by hiring an employee in another state, you are subject to any additional state/local taxes outside of income tax and unemployment tax. We didn't know we were required to have disability insurance & paid family leave insurance for hiring an employee in NY. I guess I can't blame Paychex because technically it's not a tax but because we began payroll in NY, it required us to carry it. I'm more mad about the fact that it is optional to withhold a small portion of the employees wages for disability insurance or the employer can cover the whole cost. Paychex just started withholding the max portion from the employee without ever saying a word to us. So 1.) they knew we were subject to it and didn't bother to say anything and 2.) they started an optional withholding from employee checks without ever having us sign off on it. They will be easy to reach when they need something, but very very slow if you need something. They switched our assigned payroll specialist so many times that I don't even know who it is now to let them know we are switching at the end of the quarter.

Pros

The only thing I can say I liked is that they pay the tax and file the required quarterly/annual reports.

Cons

Very confusing just to have a rate for an employee. There's multiple areas in the employee file where you can add "compensation" & "earnings & deductions". Compensation is where you can add their rate (if you don't, it will notify you that you're not paying minimum wage). You figure you need to add at least one category of earnings like hourly or salary in order to pay an employee. So I added their hourly rates to compensation then added Hourly to their Earnings along with their rate again. The Hourly specifically states RATE X HOURS. Yet, by having both of these, you'll end up paying the employees twice. No problem right. Reports take kind of long to download, and not easily customizable.

Sheila M.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 25/05/2021

Best decision we every made

They have helped me to ease up my role in the payroll process and they have set us up on five recruitment boards to help us find employees and the whole hiring process is so easy and I don't have to be so hands on through the process.

Pros

The hiring/onboarding piece is amazing.
They set us up in less than 3 days and had us doing our first payroll within a week. They sat with us through the whole payroll process from start to finish to make sure we understood it all.
The Time and attendance piece is awesome and works so well for our staff

Cons

There is nothing we don't like about Paychex. It has met our expectations and continues to do so daily.

ADP Workforce Now and Paylocity

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

Paycor's customer service was awful and their program was not conducive to what we need as we continue to grow.

Paycor

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

We felt it did a better job of what we needed and wanted our HRIS system to achieve.
Peter S.

Reviewed on 7/11/2017

Paychex has FINALLY gotten it right

Payroll reports for my clients are at my fingertips!

Pros

Paychex FLEX is easy to navigate, fast at loading reports and pages, and gives you access to what you need. As an accountant it is vital for me to be able to have access to the reports and items I need to get accounting and taxes done without having to jump through hoops to get that information. Many payroll firms make this task frustrating and time consuming. With Paychex FLEX I have one log in for all of my clients and can easily navigate to the company and reports that I need every month or at year-end within a few minutes (including the login process).

Cons

One thing I don't like is that the default view for reports is set to the last 90 days. Many times, especially dealing with tax forms, I need reports that were created more than 90 days ago. Also, since the newest reports go to the top of the list you already have the most recent reports at the top. Why not default to the past year and then just let me filter down to a smaller group of reports if that's what I want?

Other than that small gripe, they have done a lot to improve their FLEX format. When it was first released everyone hated it but it has finally been improved to the point that it is extremely usable. The problem is that it seems like every time they get things just right they move to a new platform and "upgrade" their systems. I understand that this might be a necessary evil but it sure does cause a lot of growing pains for the end-user.

Candace E.

Reviewed on 9/04/2018

Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!

The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros

Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons

Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

Devon D.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 28/05/2020

PayChex Flex is not that flexible.

Intuit should concede with their payroll platform and buy paychex, and paychex should enhance their integration and modernize the platform to something more agile like quickbooks. Employees should be able to onboard easier just as if they were buying something on Amazon. All of the 3rd party vendors that seem to be value added services are just more portals and passwords needing to be centralized.

Pros

When it works and the overloaded staff can actually assist you, it is an absolutely awesome service. I have used PayChex since about 2015. Back in the day my first representative was the absolute most amazing advisor and gave me confidence when speaking with her because I could tell she knew her job. Over time as we added more states and switched companies, our SUI numbers became switched, bank accounts and invoicing was not aligned.

Cons

Besides the reports that you are inundated with, the platform feels like it can actually perform, but truthfully it is pitiful java platform. The two factor auth is great but gets on my nerves and the fact that you cannot integrate with other identity providers or into your actual backoffice systems is a shame.

Amy S.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 26/07/2018

Paychex Flex is a robust payroll solution that can accommodate almost any payroll need.

Pros

Together with the company's team of payroll specialists, Paychex Flex is an effective payroll solution for small and large companies alike. As administrator for a small company, I appreciate having permissions to manage my company's staff in the tool while allowing the payroll specialist from Paychex to key in the biweekly payroll data. This delegation of duties gives me control over the the job functions that are most important to me.

The General Ledger integration with QuickBooks Online is configurable and works well once set up to meet your business needs. The 3rd party integrator's staff is professional and diaplays an expert knowledge of both Paychex Flex and Quickbooks.

What I like most about Paychex Flex is that our tax returns and payments at the Federal level and for most states are done for us automatically.

Cons

The browser interface is unattractive and not always self explanatory. The client id, which is needed on all email correspondence with your payroll specialist and is displayed on the banner at the top of the screen, cannot be copied and pasted into emails.

The filter feature on the Person screen doesn't work consistently, and I frequently have to reapply the same filter so that only active staff appear.

Online help for the software can be misleading or inaccurate. After following instructions for 1) giving access to staff and 2) adding a new state for withholdings, without success, I learned from my payroll specialist that I didn't have the ability to perform either task through the software.

Joshua E.

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

BIG DECISION

Overall, the experience has been neutral. I do have a good payroll account manager. However, Paychex does promote these positions very rapidly. It seems like any time I am assigned a knowledgeable payroll account manager, they are promoted. This leads me to have concerns regarding the consistency of reliable customer support.

Pros

I like the general ease of use that this software offers. I have had favorable experiences with my current payroll account manager.

Cons

There are often times glitches that can cause issues with payroll deductions. It is crucial to double and triple check your PRINTED COPY prior to submitting each payroll.

ADP Comprehensive Services
Debbie H.
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 29/06/2018

Love the Ease if Online Benefit Administration

Survey software is not something that I usually recommend.

Pros

The best thing about this software is that I can do everything I need to do on my computer or mobile phone at any time of the day or night. The application is very easy to access and I administer payroll, 401k, health, dental and vision benefits, FSA and employee additions/changes over the application. Almost every service I utilize through Paychex is on this application. Invaluable! If I'm out of town I can still submit payroll! WOW! What a game changer Paychex Flex has been! The old way of doing business is out the window with Paychex Flex replacing it in a very positive way!

Cons

There is a couple of items that I would like to see enhanced. In people, I would like the ability to always pull up my preferred view of employees without having to click on the apply button. My preferred view is saved but will not display until I click on apply. Second, on the people drop down menu from the upper right corner, I would like the ability to select that view as well. When that drop down is selected I get all the employees that have ever been entered into the Paychex database - terminated and active. I want to be able to display just the active employees in that drop down. These are just enhancement requests that in no way affect the valuable pros of the application. The items in the cons are just "nice to haves".

Cristiano C.

Reviewed on 8/12/2021

Simple payroll & employee management system, ideal for small businesses.

If you don't need accurate time clock functionality, Paychex Flex is a great way to have a payroll processing solution.

Pros

The ease of use is the key selling point for Paychex Flex. As a small business owner with little to no HR/Accounting experience, Paychex made payroll and employee management simple and easy.

Cons

Their employee app and time/attendance functionality is terrible. Time clocks were never accurate, difficult to correct, and is the reason we switched providers.

QuickBooks Payroll and ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

Price and ease of implementation. That being said, we have switched to ADP Workforce now after 2 years with Paychex
Megan M.
  • Industry: Printing

Reviewed on 31/12/2021

Good product, easy to use

Pros

We've used several different payroll processors and this was the easiest one when it came to entering our employees hour each week. I'm surprised how difficult and convulted other companies make it, but Paychecx stood out for the ease. And that matters when you have 20+ employees to enter each week. You want it to go quick, and Paychex did.

Cons

We weren't crazy about getting paper checks. We had been used to Next Day Air delivery from a past company and Paychex paper checks were a courier and came at inconsistent times. May not seem like a big deal, but employees want their checks early to deposit at lunch and if they arrive late employees get antsy. We had people tell us they would stop working until their check was in hand. Luckily it wasn't a huge issue, as most people chose direct deposit.

Kelli O.
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 5/04/2022

My Paychex Flex Review

It's been a great experience using Paychex Flex, love how easy it is to use & also the helpful customer service agents.

Pros

How easily the software/app is to use & how very helpful their customer service agents are, also the price is inexpensive compared to other companies.

Cons

Their really is nothing that our company does not like about Paychex Flex, we love the ease of all of it.

Reasons for Choosing Paychex Flex

The pricing, wait times for customer service, & ease.

Square Payroll

Reasons for Switching to Paychex Flex

By reading reviews on both companies.