About Moodle

Improve your teaching and learner outcomes with Moodle LMS, the customisable open source learning management system used by over 300 million people in over 100 languages worldwide. Our feature-rich platform is secure and...

4.2

Browse Moodle Reviews

2,119 of 2,119 reviews
Rikaz S.

Reviewed on 9/05/2022

A reliable learning platform with a vibrant community.

I'm proud to be a Moodle user for over 15 years and it's steady progress and the ability to have a paid rollout shows how much this Leaning Management System has grown over the years. If you are starting your E-Learning journey and want a LMS that is easy to use, free, & with an active community then look no further than Moodle.

Pros

I have been using Moodle since 2007 and boy, has it come a long way since then. The Learning Management System has always prided itself on being open and even back then had a wonderful community who are keen to help.

Moodle is now widely available for instant installation in many hosting providers so it's easy to setup and there are plenty of paid and free resources to learn how to setup your first Moodle course. The features to develop lessons been greatly augmented by the introduction of H5P taking it to commercial standard. Course Management has always been Moodle's strength and teachers and student's alike find Moodle to be easy to use and navigate. Assessments are varied from formative to summative methods and now reflective methods such as ePortfolio.

Moodle also has a massive plugin community to cater to nearly every need.

Cons

Being a free and open-source software, Moodle requires the user to be somewhat tech savvy with some basic knowledge of how code works and this is especially useful when needing HTML to prepare content. Since their is no customer support, Users should also be willing to seek help from the Moodle community forums which usually give good advice.

FOSS & excellent community support

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. In Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. Moodle's network of Service Providers are certified by Moodle's exacting standards in customer service, technical capability and include our endorsed network of 100 Moodle partners and premium partners. Providing regionally relevant expertise in customisations, hosting, support and training. Find your Moodle Partner here: https://bit.ly/3tMjSve

Yusuf T.
  • Industry: Program Development

Reviewed on 12/06/2022

Moodle is great for Online Courses

Pros

Moodle is great for universities because when university gives an any course and you want to join but don't have time you can take it online with Moodle. It is great to make tests and watch lessons online. If your University have Moodle your lucky.

Cons

I think it's hard to get used to interface. There is nothing else i guess.

Response from Moodle

Discover Moodle 4.0's fresh and intuitive user experience. https://bit.ly/3bgVsDC

David P.

Reviewed on 16/05/2022

Getting to know the Ancestor of the new Virtual Classrooms

It was a great way to start learning how to use a Virtual Clasroom, but I had to keep switching and integrating other platforms

Pros

It is a great way to remain distanced with students in th epersonal way which can be a positive thing for teachers like me.

Cons

It ensures very liitle contact with others and can be negative for a hands on Teachers... unlike myself.

Google Classroom and Sawyer

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Because the School already had it

Google Classroom and Sawyer

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

It was a matter of trying different things in order to become more cost effective at the company

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. In Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. BigBlueButton, the open-source web conferencing and virtual classroom is now a standard feature in Moodle LMS 4.0. It provides real-time sharing of audio, video, chat, slides, screen sharing, a multi-user whiteboard, breakout rooms, polling, and emojis. Learn more at: https://bit.ly/3HDycMq

Replied 22/06/2022

Top Moodle Alternatives

Brian S.
  • Industry: Libraries

Reviewed on 24/03/2022

Solid choice

We run and manage our own Moodle installation. As we have that capability, it has greatly reduced the financial commitment necessary to implement the software. As we are a non-profit, this is a huge factor in our decisions regarding software options.

Pros

We have been using Moodle for well over a decade to handle our continuing education program. It's flexible enough to generally handle most styles and formats in some way.

Cons

The overall look of Moodle has remained constant over the years. A good chunk of that is handled by the theme you implement, however, the base interface is mostly the same regardless of the theme used. Deviating from that is not a path for the timid.

Sakai LMS and CANVAS

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Moodle just turned out to be a better fit. The interface worked better for us, and the system requirements made it simple enough to jump in.

Donald C.

Reviewed on 5/05/2022

Oodles of Moodles!

Pros

The Moodle LMS was among the first to offer modular add-ons and incorporation of existing curricula. The modular design is the best feature, in my opinion, as it allows "tweaking" of capabilities.

Cons

Occasionally the linked pages create confusion and on rare occasions, the password resets fail to deliver e-mails.

Rubangakene I.
  • Industry: Computer Games

Reviewed on 5/06/2022

Easy Tool for Access to e-Learning at Higher Education

Moodle is very impressive and easy to learn platform. I got it straight forward from the beginning. It gives better updates on upcoming events and keeps me posted on next events

Pros

I like Moodle because of the online test which could give result immediately after the test. I remember this was the greatest fear in every student but it was not all that strict, one has access to do small corrections before submitting

Cons

Resetting password on Moodle platform tends to be harder and confusing

César C.
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 9/05/2022

An ally for education

In general, in the time I have been using it, it never caused me any problems, as a student I was able to take advantage of all the tools that the platform offers and I never saw teachers have problems with the platform. It is a highly recommended software.

Pros

What I like the most about Moodle is the wide variety of options and tools that it gives teachers when performing tasks and sharing files, it has a very attractive and intuitive platform, concerning the student's side, uploading tasks is quite simple and there are usually not many problems. In general, it usually meets everything you ask for, it is a great educational software.

Cons

What I like least is that it doesn't have an entire ecosystem behind it, that is, that it doesn't have video call services to hold meetings and video recording systems, in addition, group management can be not very intuitive, with very hidden options. But overall it's great software, with very few bugs.

Landry L.

Reviewed on 22/05/2022

Critique and suggestion of the Moodle app on mobile

thanks to Moodle I managed to have quality training from home without moving, Moodle allowed me to access more than 3 different training on its platform, case it provides higher education, professional training and much else

Pros

Moodle a very good application by its multiple learnings, one of the problems is that although I have activated all the possible notifications, nothing still receives anything as long as I enter it.

Cons

The site is not very modern and would need small improvement especially at the level of the explanations. On the other hand, it is very useful for remote work.
the application sometimes has difficulty connecting ''connection failure'' although my credentials are correct. It would be good to develop the application so that it is easier for us to access the courses.

Silver V.

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Moodle is a very important tool for online learning

moodle experience is good

Pros

Moodle allowed me to study online and also its importance in online learning is very important

Cons

What I liked is that it gives us the possibility of exchanging with the teachers

Javier G.
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 20/05/2022

Good starting point for digitalize school

Pros

Open Source, great community, and good tools out of the box

Cons

The UI it's not thatinuitive, should have better integration with video

Alan T.

Reviewed on 17/06/2021

Moodle - The Perfect Open Source LMS

I have used Moodle since 2005. I first introduced it to the school district I worked in. After its introduction, it became the number one online source for teachers, students, and parents. I based my doctoral thesis on the use of Moodle in our school district. I've also used it over the years, as an educational consultant, part-time college faculty remember, and educational trainer.

Pros

First off the software is free. If you have a server, either hosting yourself or hosting service, you can easily set up a Moodle. With a little experience, you are able to have your class up and running in no time. Easily import information into your course. Finally, there are numerous free plugins that enhance your course.

Cons

The biggest problem is if you find a plugin that you can use in your course if you don't have access to the backend to install you may run into problems with whoever administers the Moodle to install the plugins.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Google Classroom just didn't offer all the additional addons that Moodle has to offer. Also, managing, merging, importing into Moodle is by far more powerful than what Google Classroom has to offer. The only thing that puts Google Classroom above Moodle is that more people are familiar with Google. Also, more companies have embraced integrating into Google Classroom. If you want more of a repository of information without the more student-centered approach then going with Google Classroom would work. However, if you want a more interactive experience for your students, Moodle outshines any other product.
Nathan B.

Reviewed on 11/06/2021

A Great Open Source LMS

Moodle was a great first LMS for our school. We used Moodle from the very beginning and it served us well until we reached about 3000 students. Beyond that, we felt we needed more stability from an out-of-the-box LMS. We essentially had no tech team at this time, so we elected to remove the tech aspect. Any organization that has the tech skills would do well with Moodle at much greater numbers.

Pros

The fact that it is open sources is really nice. There are really endless possibilities with Moodle as a result, you just need to have the tech skills and personnel to put your vision together. The ability to customize heavily is a huge selling point for Moodle, one you don't get with many other LMSs.

Cons

This goes against my point about loving the open source nature of the platform, but there is no real support. You can work with a Moodle partner to handle technical issues for you, but this is quite expensive. Instead, I found myself spending many hours reading through forums to try and solve problems myself. Managing the hosting and updating of Moodle is tough if you do not have a strong tech team.

Schoology and CANVAS

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

We chose Moodle because it was very affordable. We also liked that there were so many options to customize the LMS. At the time of choosing, we weren't 100% sure of what we wanted our courses to look like, so it was nice to know we had a lot of options with Moodle.
Harshil K.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 21/11/2020

E-learning Plus Full package of online studying

Extraordinary, learning with perfect understanding, ideation, E-learning, online learning leds to flexible learning.

Pros

I am a student of Hochschule Duesseldorf University of applied sciences. My university is on Moodle and my every second thing is operated by means of moodle. My lectures notes, attendance, research papers, books, Homework, assignments and even some times examinations with the end result everything is done on moodle platform. It is an complete platform for an university student. Every course is given a separate folder by which ease of operation is achieved. During this corona pandemic time my lectures were also done via moodle and also by other online platform but moodle is the medium of uploading the recorded lectures which is very much helpful for the teachers as well as for students. Various Forums were created by lecturers on moodle in order to have a Q/A session or a survey session by which every student can participate and can also upload their respective files. On my vision, moodle is the best learning tool I ever come through, it is simpler and better way of teaching and providing teaching materials. Also there is an Chat option by which teachers can guide there students.

Cons

Moodle can create a sudden limitation toward ones privacy as every one in the course is able to operate almost every thing which is available in the course material and forum which can be not a suitable thing for everyone. I think moodle should provide some privacy features like only xyz person can see and edit the files or works by which false marketing and copying can be avoided but it is just an suggestion from my side as in my class such a situation had arises in some previous time.

Microsoft Teams and Zoom Meetings
Dipen C.

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

Easy to made learning platform

My overall experience with Moodle is really worthy. me and my team are creating new class, courses and tests on Moodle and it takes very small amount of time. Course management is really nice and User interface of Moodle is really understandable to students.

Pros

1. Free and effective open source learning.
2. Create easy assignments and learning management as per subject and as per class.

Cons

1. Bulky and heavy User interface.
2. No end to end security provided.
3. No option to signup user accounts automatically.

Google Classroom and CANVAS

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Google Classroom, another useful tool from Google. I switched to Moodle because Moodle is open source and interface is understandable to students.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

I choose Moodle over these alternative because, Moodle is open source and highly customizable as per requirement.
Adonay S.
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 24/09/2020

An excellent learning management system

Although it was a bit difficult and had to figure it out on our own about the server setup, once it was working, the path to set up courses, integrating modules was pretty straight forward. Our already made SCORM resources were loaded without any major trouble and worked flawlessly.

Pros

It has lots of features 'right out of the box', setting it up once installed is relatively easy and it has a great community where you can find answers for almost every issue or 'how to setup X' you could find. Also, there are lots of modules made for the platform that integrate really well.

Cons

The recommended installation process (directly from server terminal) didn't work for us on any server we tried to deploy it. We ended setting all our instances via web (which is a very great option). Also, although they have lots of support about their features and setup, they don't have the same level of support on setting the platform under certain circumstances (at server level) like reverse proxies, nat, etc.

Chamilo

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Mostly about costs. The blackboard platform use to have extended downtimes, so, we looked for something we can deploy on our own (or the client's) servers.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Because we needed a tool that has easy to set up groups, assignments, lessons and related stuff no matter which industry it's intended for. Right now Moodle is doing it perfectly for schools as for business training. Also the gamification feature ads lots of value for the clients theses days.
Florian L.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Capable to power a whole university

While certain parts could be improved, the whole experience never feels overwhelming. Content can be grouped into weekly chunks to set the right rhythm for both teachers and students. Announcements and Q&As take place in discussion boards, with automatic email notifications for those who don’t want to check manually for updates. It is even possible to hold entire exams with automatic grading (for multiple choice questions) and an automatically generated score.

Pros

With not just employees but also students working from home, efficient educational software is more important than ever. Moodle is capable to power online teaching for a whole university, including online exams, file sharing, video uploads, discussion boards, surveys and homework submissions.

Cons

At the moment, there is no native video conferencing feature. We work around this limitation by pasting links from external platforms, like Zoom or Jitsi. It would be nice to have this functionality baked into the core, together with the possibility of referencing existing content inside the video call: documents, discussion boards, surveys, etc. Another pain point is the grading section. It is meant to calculate a student’s score based on homework submissions and online exams. Unfortunately, there are just too many figures relating to absolute score, relative score and more, so in the end it is hard to grasp what the final score is actually composed of.

Clyde eugene M.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 22/11/2019

Robust LMS

Overall, I would say Moodle has been great, since I have now mastered many aspects of the LMS. The first few months were painful, but it was all worth it.

Pros

Moodle is a robust LMS that we use at our university. It exceptionally manages student learning by offering the tools that educators need to teach in the 21st century.

The quiz creation tools are what won me over from a competitor in this space. My reluctance to jump on board was further eased by discovering just how customisable it is. Admins can install new plugins that add extra functionality (and there are plenty of these to choose from) as well as themes that spruce up the interface (it may be necessary depending on your taste).

There is also a very supportive community backing the Moodle project and the support of this community is indispensable to anyone looking to fully maximise their use of the LMS.

Moodle also updates the platform ever so often, and as I write, they recently updated to Moodle 3.8 (I have work to do to update my site on v3.6).

Cons

Moodle is a beast in terms of functionality and this, unfortunately, is its biggest drawback. It is not an easy job trying to onboard new faculty members with no background in IT. It has a somewhat steepish learning curve that can certainly be tackled but not without exerting some effort and patience.

The UI is also not as inspiring. I am glad that recent updates have really modernised the look and feel of the LMS but other competitors excel in offering an intuitive out-of-the-box experience. This can be easily overcome by theming the LMS and Moodle has done well in allowing this though it needs an experienced professional to do this.

CANVAS

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

My university didn't have personnel with a Ruby on Rails background to implement the open-source Canvas LMS.

CANVAS

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

The technical expertise that Moodle requires was already available. At the time, Moodle also had more documentation to support it hence it was a no-brainer.
Dianne V.

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

Superb solution but difficult to set up

I consult to clients who have tried to implement Moodle and recognise it's value but are struggling to get a practical, organised system. There are human issues of acceptance and the system isn't used, or the opposite where they have "created a monster" that is unwieldy. Once the system is structured correctly, and staff are trained in the right way to get the most benefit, it is always beneficial. Expensive paid systems force the client management team to go through a formal process of implementation including culture and planning, but a free system is often simply installed without strategy planning about how it is going to be used.

Pros

Moodle is opensource, and therefore inexpensive and low risk to test. If a company is considering eLearning, this should be your first option as a pilot. No pre-planning is as good as actual experience. The difficulty does not lie with the software, but that an eLearning system is a complex activity and is expected to meet the needs of very different users - different education levels, different technology capabilities and with different learning methods. Moodle shows if your company is ready for eLearning, and quickly gets you up and running. A lot of older training materials are in PDF, powerpoint and other formats, and Moodle allows "drag-and-drop" and importing of zip files or SCORM files.

Cons

This is difficult to set up, particularly if you want to make use of the assessments. You need to define your users and your strategy up front or it can become a muddle with different departments adding "courses". In a way it is almost TOO is easy to use, and individual departments create a "course" and add new categories, and dump hundreds of file with no categorisation. Most Moodle systems will need to be reorganised and "cleaned up" regularly if allowed to grow organically.

Aman S.

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Moodle up the way

Overall experience with google is under satisfactory as compared to Blackboard and Canvas. It is the least help application I have ever used.

Pros

The software is an online education learning module software. It is mostly used by universities and other educational institutes. Overall the software is very decent, it offers a variety of features, plagiarism checker, and other variety of features. It does not have any option of predicting grade which is offered by Canvas. As a T.A. I would as it is a decent software but there are better softwares than moodle.

Cons

The software does not have a fully functional mobile appliation which is offered by Blackboard and Canvas which are other learning management systems. Moodle is also sluggish and courses appear later and from time to time there are bugs in the application.

Docebo and iSpring Suite

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Our organization switched from Blackboard to Moodle.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Our organization chose Moodle.
Michael D.

Reviewed on 27/09/2019

The ultimate toolbox for educators

I have been involved with Moodle for many years as a user, administrator and developer. Be careful about the hype you hear from commercial vendors, they will often understate the prevalence of Moodle around the world, which dwarfs other systems many times. The community involved with this product have a common aim: to help educators; money is rarely their driver.

Pros

Moodle is, hands-down, the most functional and malleable learning management system available. Moodle can do everything we want it to do.

Cons

Sometimes you have to reduce functionality to make it useful for some people. It is possible to turn off features to achieve that.

CANVAS and Schoolbox

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Blackboard seems to be dying. Their product is undeveloped over many years and their proposed replacement still seems to be vaporware. The costs for this system are very high and very few equivalent institutions are still using it.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

In a blind test at my current institution, Moodle was favoured by users over other systems. It won out in terms of features and flexibility. It just works.

Reviewed on 16/09/2019

A complete solution for blended learning!

I have implemented Moodle LMS for many industries including Colleges, Universities, Manufacturing, Retail, Career Development Centers, Online Training institutions, Information, Media & Entertainment industries. Except the product is an open-source, I do not see ANY issues. This can be hosted in Amazon Web Services or in Azure cloud, it can be hosted in client environment. Moodle can be integrated with any 3rd party (both inbound and outbound) applications as long as their APIs are exposed. This has lot of in-built plugins/tools to manage ILT Events and Sessions, Chats, Virtual Learning Environment tools, etc. I highly recommend this low-cost solution for any type of industry.

Pros

Moodle is a complete e-Learning platform for many industries. It is well-suited for Education Industry. I have implemented Moodle in the large universities and colleges in the world. Most inspiring features are
- the course section which can be grouped based on customized categories and sub-categories
- forum which can be associated with the topics at course level or at organization level
- Cohort which helps the institute to manage the batch-wise students group every year and can be promoted to next level without much manual efforts
- Question Bank which can accommodate more than 12 types of assessments and can also be integrated with other assessment management systems or plugins

Cons

There is no limitation on the features, since this is an open source application, we cannot use it for GxP contents in Life Sciences and may not comply with Banking/Insurance industries.

Blackboard Learn, Saba Cloud and Docebo

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Low-cost, highly flexible, scalable, robust, technical compatibility, user-friendly, no license cost
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 7/03/2019

An easy and practical virtual way for distance education

Moodle, allows to offer an exchange space in activities for learning, these can be online or as a support for content management without using the web interface, also through the platform you can create private forums to stimulate discussions online or used as the main interface to perform exams and assessments.

Pros

This tool is also designed in free software is a multimedia program that explores the way to generate virtual ways of quality distance education through its virtual environments, the tool is one of the most used for this type of tasks or activities one of its positive elements is in creating private virtual environments where a group of students with their teacher interact online, which after defining the role of administrator capable of creating subjects and administrator, with the role of teacher with permission or without permissions allows to generate the educational base necessary to fulfill a course. Another positive aspect is the ease of making or creating questionnaires by subjects to facilitate the teaching-learning process and the different evaluative uses necessary to assess the student's progress.

Cons

The tool presents standardized content which prevents differentiating the treatment between advanced and regular students, as well as presenting differentiated content since when the group is created a signature and the access role all share the information according to the profile held by the participants, as to the interface this is not very friendly with the students since it does not have an iconography that facilitates the identification of the different options besides the menus are not intuitive that does not generate a pattern of habit on the actions within the program. layout is similar to a normal blog something that in my opinion could be improved to take more advantage of the online application.

Reviewed on 10/01/2019

Flexible for designers, teachers and students

Pros

As an online learning designer, Moodle is a fantastic tool because it integrates multiple options for learning and collaboration between both on and off campus students. It is incredibly flexible with a plethora of both simple and advanced features which can be integrated at a teacher’s preference, and the entire teaching experience can be run through the system. It’s agile enough to integrate with multiple external software systems so is less restrictive than some LMS systems.
The interface can be configured to suit individual institutions or teaching and allows a teacher to monitor all activity.
As a course designer, Moodle Analytics are extremely valuable because I can see exactly what parts of the course are being accessed, how often, and if they are being completed. This allows me to know if individual components of the course are beneficial to learning or if it needs changing or replacing, without the risk of violating student or institution privacy.
When working for an institution that is a Moodle partner, I like the opportunity to help shape Moodle’s future by offering submissions direct to the designers.

Cons

Whenever updates for Moodle are released (six monthly) there are always some problems with existing content, especially with non-standard features that have been designed exclusively for a course or institution. Sometimes they are not immediately evident and can cause issues during the teaching period.
Moodle is a very large, powerful system, so it can take considerable time to understand it well enough to be confident designing and teaching courses. Also, if support staff are not on hand it can be difficult to resolve issues or find ways to integrate special requests from teachers.

Reviewed on 30/07/2018

Moodle has been one of the best tools I have ever implemented in my high school courses!

I think I stated most if not all the benefits in the "pro" section.

It's a great time saver once courses are set up.
I can see the stats on my students' involvement with the various parts of it.
I can cut down paper work by having files submitted electronically.
I can use rubrics of my own design to quickly grade programming assignments
I can mark up PDF submissions on the screen to give feedback.
I can moderate discussions and teach students how to speak in a forum setting.
I can provide more opportunities for students to think and produce more creatively.
I can enjoy creating my own materials!

Pros

Moodle allows me to provided a blended learning environment for my students. I use it for AP Statistics, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, and Integrated Math 1. I can post assignment schedules, additional readings, links to off-site materials, etc. just as I did in my web pages in the past. However, it also allows me to assign "lessons" that my students do interactively online, discussion boards where they have to write their thoughts coherently, and assignments where students upload files for me to review and grade.

It has become an important communication tool for me to use with both students and parents outside school hours. No student can say they forgot their book at school or don't remember the assignment because texts and assignments are online in Moodle. Parents can see what their students are doing in my class academically and not just the grades they receive.

Moodle has become more important to my teaching than the textbook. All resources can be found in one place and students can interact with the materials, each other, and me in class and outside class.

We have even implemented a computer lab and device reservation system for teachers in Moodle which has saved our librarians a ton of hours of work each week.

Cons

Moodle is not intuitive to the novice. It took some time for me to learn how to use its many features and implement them well. I have been doing this for at least 8 years, but I am still learning more about the system and its capabilities.

As the server administrator, doing upgrades has always been problematic. I don't think an upgrade has ever gone smoothly. The reason I stick with it is because I haven't found a LMS that can offer me as much as Moodle. Plus, it's free and we can run it in-house.

Vashi T.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 3/03/2018

Moodle as a student and administrator

There is not really any cons about Moodle. It is a highly satisfying product that is worth a try.

Pros

First: It is free!

As a student: it has easy navigation, provides a dashboard with all the related courses currently enrolled, it has a calendar on the right highlighting all the upcoming submission dates. It also notifies us about the upcoming events the lecture has set. All the information are arranged in a neat format. It shows the online users. It has portfolio option, makes it easy to keep track of all our works. It also has email facilities so we can email other users.

As an administrator: There is so many features incorporated in Moodle! The teacher has the power to design the moodle course in however way they want: It integrates SCORM packages, documents, videos, links, quiz, different grading systems (average/individual) and the grade history of the students on the platform. The teacher also has the flexibility to program when to make one lesson visible (by presetting the time and date), when to close assignment submission past deadline automatically, or to create specific forums and events. One can use moodle to run a class or to act as a learning repertoire. There is also the option to add a chat room for a particular lesson. What I also appreciate is the feature to monitor course participation and activity log report of students. By including keys to the lessons, we can control who we give access to the contents on the forum. Thus it can either be open contents or private. The power lies in the hands of the administrator.

Cons

The chat feature should be an in-built feature rather than a pop-out screen available only when the administrator adds it as part of a lesson.