Trello Reviews

About Trello

Trello is a visual collaboration tool for planning tasks and projects. While commonly used by agile software development teams, the solution is also used in other departments such as marketing, sales, support and HR. The...

Browse Trello Reviews

23,168 of 23,169 reviews
Danny
Danny

Reviewed on 24/07/2023

Scalable and flexible project planning and task management software.

This is software that we use every single day. I also use Trello in a professional capacity. It is easy to get up and running, and easy to get clients onboarded with it as well.

Pros

We love how flexible Trello is. We have separate boards for different projects and even for our internal team management and admin tasks like accounting and HR. There is no "right way" to set up Trello, which means you can mold it to your own needs.

Cons

Over the years, they've included less and less in the free version, but if you're running a business, the pricing is fair and scalable to pay for it.

Basecamp and ClickUp

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Asana seemed like it was more geared toward larger teams and just simply wasn't as intuitive to get in and set it up.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Basecamp didn't have a freemium model. You get a free trial, then must pay to continue using. Trello lets you use the free version perpetually until you grow into paying for it. ClickUp seemed way to robust and monolithic for our needs. Trello was much simpler to get up and running.
Mary

Reviewed on 14/05/2024

Trello is a Lifesaver!

In HR, our processes are extensive. With multiple people touching the same onboarding, termination, promotion, driver qualification, FMLA case, workers' compensation case, etc., Trello has become a critical part of our daily lives as it allows us to stay organized and see, in real time, who completed which tasks, and when. We essentially use our Trello checklists like "cheat sheets" for many of our processes.

Pros

The cards, templates, and checklists are definitely my favorite features in Trello. Our team can stay organized and see, in real-time, which tasks are outstanding and which user they are assigned to. We can also organize different card types into categories. Our dashboard shows us, at a glance, what projects we're working on. For example, if we have a new hire, they will have their own Trello checklist with a set of steps that apply to all new hires. If a step doesn't apply to them, we can delete it without affecting the main template card, which includes all possible steps for a new hire.

Cons

There are only two things I can think of that would make Trello even better. (1) The ability to add line breaks to steps would make them easier to read. (2) The ability to make mass edits to multiple cards at once (i.e., verbiage updates for a step) would save me a lot of time.

Derrick

Reviewed on 13/05/2024

Task Management Solution

Pros

I can create a board for a project, make lists for different stages like "To Do," "Doing," and "Done," and move tasks between them as I work on them. It's really straightforward and keeps everything in one place.

Cons

The free version has some limitations, like how many power-ups you can use and the size limit for file attachments. Also, for more complex projects, it may not have all the features I need.

Top Trello Alternatives

Adam

Reviewed on 8/03/2024

board tracking

like the software as a means to visually layout the pages for a web build an dcan move the cards around as the pages are complete

Pros

Trello is simple to use, can be shared with clients who can see where progress is and add comments and or files for boards, it's a good way to go back and forth with cards

Cons

some limitations for when adding files for downloading them can be too easy to move a card unintentially

Jira and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Trello

simple and easy to use internally and for clients

Reviewed on 30/03/2024

Friendly Project Management Tool For Beginners

It is a simple project management tool with user friendly functionalities. It is very simple use and manage tasks but lacks features required for complex project management and planning.

Pros

Trello is one of the best project management tools because it is easy to use. Setting up a new project and members to the project is very straightforward which makes it beginner friendly.

Cons

There is no time tracking features implemented in Trello by default which is very crucial for Project Management. While we can implement required features using add-ons, but they cost extra to integrate which is not very ideal.

Allen
  • Industry: Religious Institutions
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 2/04/2024

Great product hidden behind barrier to entry

Once i signed up, it *appeared* that i couldn't advance without paying. After logging out and back in, it no longer asked that. But this is too confusing for teams of volunteers, so i went with a different product.

Pros

Once i got going with it, it was fairly easy to create projects, items, and assign them to team members.

Cons

Very confusing sign up process. And less features than some other free options.

MindMeister

Reasons for Switching to Trello

I chose MindMeister and Meistertask over Trello.
Rakib

Reviewed on 16/05/2024

A Visual Productivity Powerhouse.

Trello's Power-Ups really set it apart. The ability to integrate with tools like Slack, Google Drive, and Salesforce makes it a versatile central hub. And the Butler automation feature is incredibly powerful for streamlining repetitive tasks. With all the features, I can boost my productivity to the max level and enjoy the benifits of it.

Pros

Trello has been a visual productivity powerhouse for our team. The intuitive Kanban-style boards make it easy to see project progress at a glance, and the drag-and-drop interface is a breeze to use. The ability to add checklists, due dates, and attachments to cards keeps everything organized.

Cons

The free version has some limitations on attachment sizes and integrations that can be frustrating. And the mobile app, while functional, isn't quite as smooth as the desktop experience.

Vanessa
Vanessa
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

An excellent alternative for PM

Overall, I find it a fantastic alternative for project management for small-medium teams and projects. It saves a lot of time and money because it allows the team manager to keep track of all the tasks and really helps with the member's collaboration. I highly recommend it!

Pros

Visually it is very beautiful and feels organized and clean. It allows a lot of customization and movement of the cards so you can really play around with your options saving a lot of time. It is very versatile in this sense. At the same time, it is super easy to learn and when you bring a new member to the team, little explanation is needed to get them integrated.

Cons

If the project has many moving parts or many members, it starts to feel cluttered and slow. The search tool could use improvement too.

Stephen

Reviewed on 2/04/2024

Project management, collaboration and file sharing with Trello

Pros

I like that with Trello we can share files with ease enhancing collaboration among our teams which helps in managing various projects.

Cons

The onboarding process is quite tough especially for new users to project management

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 30/03/2024

It's one of the most convenient way to manage projects

Overall, Trello is good for beginner to intermediate users. I liked it when I first started working with project management tools.

Pros

Trello has a very easy user interface. A new comer can master it within a week. I like how easily boards and cards can be created. Adding colleagues to the boards makes it easy to collaborate.

Cons

It is not very good for a budgeting purposes. I used Monday.com which is a lot batter in that regard.

Handel
Handel
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 28/07/2019

Incredibly useful task planner

Overall since implementing, the entire team has grown in efficiency of task planning. We are getting more accomplished with this program. We are all very happy with its use despite the drawbacks listed.

Pros

The "card" system is innovative and highly efficient. The ability to see all your tasks allows you to prioritize and organize what to accomplish. Overall runs smoothly with a very clean user interface. It is easy to use and requires little to no training. Tasks can be assigned to multiple people, and can be checked off as "completed" by whomever - making tracking and rewards a breeze. The calendar plugin is very helpful. The use of plugins is incredibly useful as well.

Cons

There are several lacking features. There is no ability to set a time-stamp on a project, (how long it will take) outside of using the calendar feature. You cannot assign an approximate time to complete a project. Also there is no messaging function, only "comments". This is very limiting. Also, there is no way to divide cards and tasks under a single person. A single person will only have all their tasks in a big pool, color labels help but do not break it up making it easy to read. When a card is archived, who knows where it goes, it vanishes really. no ability to delete cards.

Airtable

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Basecamp was overall awful, very poor UI, with hard to track task lists and layers on layers of pages with very little data.

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Trello stood out with the most cost effective free solution, with a very easy user interface that requires no training. Out of the box was extremely useful.
Murtuza
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 28/09/2019

One of the best free project management tool

Pros

The interface. I was looking for a free tool to have a track on my work and I hired bunch of people remotely but always having communication gaps. After finding Trello I found it super easy to learn it and get started. I immediately moved all my team to the software and started to create cards (tasks) for them. The best part is that I can collaborate on every single card and can put up the brief, links, files everything on one place. And above everything is checklist. Most of my cards have a to do list so having a friendly multi checklist feature in Trello makes me to stick with it.

Cons

Its hard to say but as I liked the interface mainly, there is one thing I didn't liked. Comments on the bottom. I used to have checklists and that's why comments section always go deep down. I prefer it to be on right side to make cards super collaborative.

Maryl
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

Trello is your team's organizational sandbox

We use Trello every day to give the company team-wide access to where we are in the pipeline of our projects. Any team member can be added to any board to see, add and edit cards. Trello has great integrations with other platforms we use such as Hubspot and Google suite. You can easily create a new card by sending to a specific email address which streamlines the flow of regular processing. We greatly appreciate the regular updates from the Trello team, they seem to be regularly updating the software and adding benefits to their already solid product.

Pros

Trello is easy to use, easy to customize and visually appealing. Their customer service and regular updates are impressive.

Cons

I personally have no drawback to this software, we have utilized this on our team for years, tried other software for the same systems and keep coming back to Trello.

Sam

Reviewed on 3/02/2020

Collaboration tool that keeps people on track

One of the things that can be difficult when getting people to collaborate is keeping conversations distinct from each other. Someone will write an email with a few questions or different updates included, and everyone starts replying - some in reference to some of the points, and others to other ones. The benefit of using Trello is that you can keep conversations focused due to the board and card based approach. It's easy to follow the thread of what has been discussed and your reply is always in context and won't be confused with any other subject.

Pros

I liked the easy to understand layout, and the fact that you can easily move things around or relabel them if you need to. The ability to attach different media is good and the interface is nicely customisable. It's great how people from different organisations can easily collaborate. The things that are most active are the most visible in the interface, which is great for keeping your attention.

Cons

I found some of the default settings a little confusing and frustrating. For instance, if you add an image to a card, it's automatically set as the cover image (I couldn't see a way to switch this off). I think that once things get archived, they seem a little hard to revisit, but this is something you occasionally need to do to refer back. These are minor issues really though and I'm sure the interface will keep on improving.

• Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 2/04/2020

Best task manager

So far is free, so it also has the best relationship price/quality you can find.

Pros

By far this is the easiest to use task manager in the market. It is very intuitive and easy to use without missing functionality. I've used for several projects big and small and never failed me.

Cons

The only drawback I see is that after you create a task you must go back to add information, this is something that should be done in one step instead of two.
It has less features than JIRA, but most JIRA features are of not use for me, so I can't complain for this, but if you are looking for a JIRA drop-in replacement, this is not the software you are looking for.

This is free and simple to use. Also tried Basecamp, but I like Trello more

Jira

Because of the price.
Rachel

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Love this product, very visual and straightforward, highly recommend

Pros

There is SO much to like about this software, it's hard to narrow down. The versatility of the software is incredible. We have a variety of different teams (e.g. photography, video, writing, web development...) and each team's boards are completely independent of one another, with completely different workflows. Other tools seem restrictive whereas Trello is incredibly customizable, and change is easy. We were also able to create templates for each team's workflow, which made building out new project requests a total breeze. The calendar powerup is incredibly helpful, adn the ability to build out cards with checklists, labels, due dates, attachments, etc. gives the perfect amount of flexibility and accountability tracking we need. I could go on and on about this software, I absolutely love it.

Cons

When the pricing structure changed a year or two ago, we had to totally restructure our work to be able to keep the software (we are state funded and could not afford our current structure once the price increased). We had to transition from nine teams to one team, separated out by tags. We have a TON of boards, so this was less than ideal but still totally manageable.

The one other thing I like least is the limitations placed on board powerups. They are SO useful, and the tool is still incredible without them, but I wish my whole team had gotten to experience the powerups (I was one of the only Gold members).

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Trello offered us the ability to maintain workplace autonomy by allowing each of our production teams their own customized workflows and ability to track all communication, updates, progress, etc. in one place.
Matt
Matt

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

Very intuitive and easy to immediately

Trello has been a huge boost to staying organized with not just my big projects, but also with my daily tasks and staying organized in all of my activities.

Pros

I've used both the paid and free versions of this platform and the free version is as simple to use as the paid version. You do get additional features with the paid version, but for managing your own tasks and projects the free version will still provide everything that you need. I've used a number of project management platforms and Trello stands out because it's very intuitive to use and organize the information you're working on.

Cons

Occasionally, I wish Trello had some prompts on how to better organize information, but this isn't a deal-breaker. I really like it when software can help to save me from my own disorganization, and Trello primarily does that with a very simple setup, but I would also accept some prompts or suggestions too.

Ernesto
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 6/01/2022

Trello Review

I've been using Trello now for over 2 years and have fully integrated this software until business as usual. It helps with project managememt and collaborating internally and with our customers.

Pros

Having tried several varied project management softwares over the years Trello is not only the easiest to use but is so user friendly that anyone can start using from day one and within days will be an expert on its use. It's also free which is amazing.

Cons

Maybe adding an option to change view styles would be an added extra worth having

monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Cost and mobile app led me to move away from Microsoft to using Trello.

Microsoft Project

Reasons for Switching to Trello

Once I began using it the choice was clear
Anastacia

Reviewed on 26/09/2022

Trello Troubles

Overall it was very frustrating. So many times would my client be stuck in a "stage" because there wasn't enough bandwidth to move them to the next board. This was all because again, it was a manual process and for a small company, it shouldn't have been that hard. Not to mention you had to pay for ALL add-ons and some of them just made sense to have but boy does it add to the cost.

Pros

The only feature I enjoyed about this product was how easy it was to deploy a new client project inside Trello. You could easily add in the new details that you collected from your kick-off decks and add them into the auto-generated "card". That was the only thing that was great about this tool.

Cons

Everything else was terrible after the onboarding took place. Once you got a new card automated in the "new client" column and added in your details, it was up to you to manually move/drag that card to whatever stage of the process they were in. It was extremely tedious and many clients fell through the cracks as a result.

monday.com and ClickUp

Reasons for Choosing Trello

Salesforce was too expensive for what we needed it for and a lot of the platform went unused unfortunately so we switched to Trello but quickly switched away from Trello after about 6 months just because it was very ineffective for what we needed.

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Reasons for Switching to Trello

The cost comparison to Salesforce was the main factor.
Angelo
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 29/01/2023

My Trello Review: A Comprehensive Look

Overall, Trello is a great tool for collaboration and organization. Its intuitive user interface and customization capabilities make it an ideal choice for teams of all sizes. While it may have a slight learning curve, the ease of use and integration with other applications make it an invaluable asset.

Pros

Trello is an incredibly useful tool that helps to keep teams organized, informed, and on track. With its versatile and intuitive user interface, Trello is easy to use and understand. The ability to customize boards and integrate with other popular applications makes it a great choice for collaboration.

Cons

While Trello is an incredibly useful tool, it does have some drawbacks. Certain users may find it a bit confusing to use and some features may require a bit of a learning curve. Additionally, the free version of Trello does not offer some of the more advanced features, such as integration with other applications.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 8/08/2018

advantages of the trello

Trello is a project management tool that makes collaboration simple and, I would say, even fun. The reality is that it serves almost everything, whether you are organizing projects at work, household chores, trips or anything else. Individual cards can contain task lists, images, attachments, delivery dates, color labels and comments from other people who share the board with you. You can have as many boards as you want, use one for "Homework", for example, and another for "World domination plans".
It is likely that you have already realized the potential. The Trello cards are like small post-its on a cork board but in digital format, so you can look at them, share them or add a reminder. You can even create cards via mail.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the way in which we can organize our meetings, pending issues, follow-ups, meetings and, above all, place the status that is basically required to make progress. The options and colors where each person responsible for activity is identified helps you to close the points faster. Trello works very well in my case because I tend to think very visually, so images and color labels work better with my brain than just a text. Although I am a big fan of Evernote to manage a multitude of information, lately I have found myself returning to individual lists written on paper. Trello is a breakthrough of that, it is one of those few applications that achieves a balance between a simple and elegant interface while including very powerful and flexible features. No compliments, however. Let me show you how I and other Trello users are using it as a productivity method.

Cons

What I do not like are the rows one side of the other, where we put the information, it seems very close to one another and for me personally I do not like the appearance, very neutral. The issue is that it is forcing a program to use it for something that it is not. You can also use the notebook to write a novel, but it is not the best tool for it. To organize trips there are tropocientas webs and apps that give a thousand kicks to trello, with suggestions of places, automatic geolocalization, organization by calendar, etc etc etc..To write novels the same, there are webs and applications focused on it, that you hierarchize the information much better, write down ideas, alternative plots, different paths of a story, etc ... come on, what a novel requires, with trello you will organize a micro story as much.

Trello is focused on organizing projects in which many people have their roles, and show the states of those projects.

Everything else, I seem to want to give it a use that is not yours.

Patrick

Reviewed on 19/09/2018

Hello Trello! You will wonder how you lived without it.

Pros

Trello is an outstanding web based project management app. Its feature rich design makes it easy to adapt to a variety of workflows and project management techniques. While Trello provides excellent documentation (which I recommend power users to read through at some point, I highly recommend that users initially go and explore on their own (yes, like the not reading the IKEA instructions exploring) to check out the features. Users will likely find many of the functions to be rather intuitive. The reason I recommend that users skip the docs at first is so that they do not form the idea that there is a “right way” to use Trello. Trello is a powerful app with an enormous amount of features; however, perhaps its greatest feature is flexibility. Users can configure a workflow that works for them to help streamline processes and complete tasks efficiently while collaborating with others and tracking progress. Trello also offers up a ton of integrations (called Power-Ups) that are available to supercharge its functionality. For example, a Google Drive Power-Up is available allowing users to take advantage of cloud storage to work with files and documents in a collaborative environment instead of relying on an endless list of email threads to move their projects along. Overall, Trello offers a powerhouse of features for all things project and task management, assignment, and tracking. It also has a worthwhile mobile app to keep you in reach of updates at all times.

Cons

Trello is an excellent app. It’s primary and possibly only drawback maybe getting users to stick with it and not give up on it prematurely as it can be overwhelming when they first set out to configure their work space and workflows.

• Industry: Research

Reviewed on 17/11/2019

I didn't ask for shared to-do lists... but here we are!

Overall I have found Trello to be of benefit both personally and to our team. Trello has helped our management keep track of each team member's workloads from a big picture standpoint, and has helped with distribution (and re-distribution) of work. It has also been beneficial to me in terms of organizing and keeping track of the work that I'm doing. As someone naturally disorganized, this is a major compliment. It has been so helpful that I am considering using it for my personal projects as well.

Pros

Trello is an organizational powerhouse. Personally, neither my mind nor my typical work style are very organized -- I'm all about scattered thoughts and scattered notes. Trello offers a myriad of solutions for the problem that is me. From separate boards for separate projects/task types, to separating lists of cards by various types, to individual cards, the organization options offered by Trello's "to-do" lists are pretty granular. This system is very easy to use, but the deeper you go -- especially once you start playing with Trello's various powerups -- the more complex it becomes. There is a lot to be said for the extension of functionality offered by said powerups -- they go from simple extensions of base functionality to drastic shifts in how information is presented (such as calendar view) or integration of other services (including Google Drive and Dropbox). Trello is pretty easy to use out of the box for an unorganized person such as myself, but offers a lot of possibilities for the power users willing to dive, or the highly organized among us.

Cons

Aside from its many organizational functions, which are stellar, the main draw of Trello is that it allows for sharing and collaboration among users. My team (10-20 people), for example, uses a single shared Trello board, with card lists for each team member, across all of our projects. Since everyone can see everything, this has led to occasional weirdness between members of our team. Perhaps this is just due to the organizational structure we've settled on -- perhaps I'm saying the con is people.

On that note -- there doesn't seem to be an easy undo function, so if you mess something up on a shared board you may end up creating confusion.

The notification system is also not ideal. Trello is not the place to go if you require the person you're communicating with's immediate attention.

Luis

Reviewed on 20/01/2021

Usage of TRELLO during a Project implementation

Very useful during a software project implementation with Agile methodology. I even use this SW in my daily personal activities.

Pros

I really like this products because is:
* Easy to use
* PORTABLE (you can use and modify your dashboard on any mobile device)
* Can activate power up (other functionalities to your dashboard)
* Easy to share
* Fast to build
* Easy to make following to the people
* Can create you own reports
* Easy to read
* Easy to clean the main Dashboard (taks already finished)

Cons

Add more templates and let to build our own.
Will be great to let include video functionalities.
Integration with Microsoft Project will be desirable.

monday.com

Cost and benefits

Cost & benefits & functionality
Benn
Benn
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 9/09/2023

Trello - Productivity tool

With trello I can organize all my tasks and projects through boards that are fully customizable, I can put any image in the background, I can divide the boards into 3 parts so that they reflect the tasks, what is in process and what is already done, With the cards I can prioritize the tasks that I have to do first. I like the mobile version, it's easy to use and I can drag and drop a task quickly.

Pros

I started using Trello for personal things and then I started using it with my work team. I can say that it is a tool that helps a lot with productivity, to work collaboratively with my company's work team as it helps manage and manage projects. and organize the workfow, pending tasks and meet the objectives either by week or by month, I like that I can automatically log in with a Gmail account which makes it more practical.

Cons

Although the interface is practical, it needs a better design and colors, it lacks predefined boards that help make the user experience more practical, the archiving or moving lists part is a little confusing for people who are using it for the first time, it lacks of an option to delete lists, which would make it more practical.