BILL Reviews

About BILL

BILL (NYSE: BILL) is a leader in financial automation software for small and midsize businesses (SMBs). We are dedicated to automating the future of finance so businesses can flourish. Hundreds of thousands of businesses trust...

3.9
4.1
3.8

Browse BILL Reviews

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 1/02/2018

Bill.com is THE BEST software for managing accounts payable!

No mailing invoices/checks! The software prints the first page of the invoice on the bottom two stubs of the check. You can also pay your vendors electronically with a simple invite email AND the system emails your vendors to let them know payment is on the way!

Pros

I started using this software solely for its accounts payable function. You send your bills directly to the inbox, attach the document to the bill, then pay! You can even record bills paid outside of bill.com (credit card payments for example). You can also save vendor documents (contracts, W9s) within the vendor files. This software keeps us incredibly organized over multiple locations. HIGHLY recommend! (And it syncs seamlessly with QuickBooks!)

Cons

No cons! Great product! Keeps us organized and allows timely and effective bill payments to our vendors.

Response from BILL

Jennifer, your comment made our day! We're going to share with our product team, who always enjoy hearing positive feedback :)

Serguei

Reviewed on 9/06/2020

Great Accounts Payable Software

Overall, great software for managing accounts payable. There are all kinds of dashboards where you can see the status of your payables on one screen which is convenient. Also, the reporting features are great. Very easy to pay company bills. Would definitely recommend to small/midsize business.

Pros

This is a great solution for processing accounts payable in a small/mid-size business. Bill.com has approval workflows which makes it easy to control your payables and avoid fraud. It is super easy to pay bills with a few clicks. The company takes care of all check mailing and ACH processing. Also, vendors can see the status of their payment easily which is convenient and saves you time answering payment status requests from vendors.

Cons

The company recently implemented a new interface which is confusing at times. Also, now screens load very slowly with the new features that they implemented. Also, there is no option to switch back to the old interface which I prefer.

Tipalti

Reasons for Switching to BILL

I've had prior experience using Bill.com and enjoyed using it.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Serguei. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!

Eugene
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 26/12/2023

Bill.com is a scam

This company is a scam. I have, in writing, confirmation of my credit limit, statement credit and monthly rewards. Even with confirmation in writing for months now, my credit limit was reduced with no notification and on time payments since inception.

Pros

It works when it wants to and when it does, it's fine. This shouldn't be complicated. It is a credit card.

Cons

Auto payments drafted from my account monthly which is fine. I usually pay all of my credit cards earlier than the due date anyways.

Response from BILL

Thank you Eugene for your feedback. We are glad the auto-payment being drafted monthly works. We are sorry for any frustrations caused by issues with your credit limit. Please reach out directly to our customer service at 1(435)731-5078.

Replied 27/12/2023

Top BILL Alternatives

Reviewed on 22/11/2023

How I Use Bill.com

I think it's very useful, easy, well-structured, and allows users of varying levels the appropriate views. Our [sensitive content hidden] and our accountants use it much differently than I do, but we all get exactly what we need from it. I think that's what makes bill.com a great tool.

Pros

I like how it's a complex platform, but my tasks are bare bones and basic and I can navigate to information a variety of different ways and get answers. You can be a low level user and still see the information you need, without having to go down a bunch of rabbit holes. It's forensic and basic at the same time.

Cons

I can't think of anything I don't like about this platform.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your positive feedback Jennifer! We are thrilled that you are able to navigate and find the information you need easily. Customer feedback is valuable to us as we like to hear about what is working well for our customers.

Replied 29/11/2023
Lisa
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 2/04/2021

Saving Time and Money Using Bill.com

We have been very happy with Bill.com. All managers are able to review and approve every invoice and Bill.com has helped us save money by increasing visibility. We have also saved countless hours of work for our accounts payable department since Bill.com com cuts all checks and sends all ACHs.

Pros

There are so many things we like about Bill.com. Implementation was well organized and the Bill.com team was helpful and knowledgeable. Adoption throughout our organization was so quick because the Bill.com system has been so easy to use.

Cons

We had difficulty at first getting Bill.com linked with the POs in our ERP, but the Bill.com team helped us to a full resolution.

AvidXchange and Stampli

Reasons for Switching to BILL

Bill.com was the only program that we reviewed that would work with the POs in our ERP. The other solutions required POs to originate in their systems. We also felt the UI was clean and well-organized.

Response from BILL

We appreciate you sharing your great experience, Lisa. Thank you for your exceptional review!

Reviewed on 21/12/2023

AP made easier

Over all I love using BILL daily for AP processing.

Pros

The interface of BILL is easy to navigate and user-friendly compared to QB.

Cons

I occasionally get frustrated with the AI auto-populating feature while processing invoices.

Response from BILL

Thank you Jennifer for your five star review of our software! We love that you find our interface easy to navigate and user-friendly. We are sorry for any frustrations caused by our IVA system when processing invoices. We appreciate all feedback as we are always trying to improve our customer's experience with our software.

Replied 22/12/2023
Craig
Craig
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Reviewed on 12/07/2023

Bill.com is the slowest invoicing and funding provider of them all.

Worst ever. It takes a minimum of 45 minutes for an answer from chat support. It doesn't feel like anyone really cares about our time.

Pros

Bill.com is secure and it integrates with most accounting platforms.

Cons

The customer (not us) has a lot of control in scheduling the payment amount and date. The customer can also change the scheduled date even after it looks like its been paid. Whereas from our shoes we need to know we have been paid before we ship the product. After the invoice shows as paid the funding takes 7-8 business days or longer by ACH. This just isn't competitive. Its obvious that in addition to the 79 fee for use of the software that most of their revenue is generated by float on both our receivables and our payables. We don't want anyone to wait. It's important that all parties get paid as immediate as possible.

FreshBooks and Melio

Reasons for Choosing BILL

We hoped to have faster funding and some sort of chargeback protection.

Quickbooks Online

Brandname

Response from BILL

Thank you for your feedback, Craig! I'm sorry to hear that you had a frustrating experience with receiving payments. If you still need assistance, please visit our website at https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us to request a call, chat, or email with our customer support team. We are here to help and want to assist you promptly.

Replied 13/07/2023
Jason

Reviewed on 26/10/2023

Bill.com helped to streamline our process

My experience has been excellent and I would highly recommend Bill.com.

Pros

The features that I like are ease of use and ease of approvals within our organization. I also like the ability for the software to learn from invoices and apply that learning to coding future invoices.

Cons

The one feature that I would add is the ability to utilize humans to analyze very large and complex bills.

Response from BILL

Thank you Jason for your five star review! We love to hear that you find our software and approvals easy to use. We also are happy that our software learning capability is appreciated. On your BILL overview page at the bottom, you can click on leave feedback and do a features request anytime you think of something that you would like to see or need. Thank you for your recommendation!

Replied 27/10/2023
Mary-Ann

Reviewed on 26/10/2023

Love bill.com

Pros

This is an easy to use online bill pay portal that has every feature you need to keep track of your bills. It is also pleasing to the eye.

Cons

I can't really think of anything I dislike about bill.

Response from BILL

Mary-Ann, thank you for your five star review! We are thrilled that our software has been easy to use for bill paying and that all the features you need are available. We are glad that it has a pleasing look for you. Please continue to provide any feedback that you might have.

Replied 27/10/2023
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 29/10/2023

Getting our money on time

Pros

Some clients pay our invoices through Bill and it's so easy, Set up took a minute but after that, it's completely, well, non complicated. Like a good flight, when someone asks you about your flight you say "uh, it was fine.' because everything went as expected. Bill is the same.

Cons

Sometimes on high use days the interface is not as lightning fast as it is on other days.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your 5-star review! We are thrilled to hear that invoicing has been easy to manage. We appreciate your feedback on the speed of the interface and have passed that on to our production team. Please continue to provide any feedback that you might have as we are always looking for ways to make our service better.

Replied 31/10/2023
Barbara

Reviewed on 6/03/2019

Bill.com is my 1st choice for efficient and fully automated AP system!

We are a global company with 1,300+ people in US and internationally. We use Bill.com for all our Accounts Payable in US and internationally. We totally automated Accounts Payable using Bill.com and we have very pleasant positive experience.

Pros

My company is a global company with US head quarters and multiple international locations. In Bill.com, the billing and payment is totally automated. Approval process is excellent. As a manager, I get regular emails for bill approval. I can approve, disapprove, make comments and they go to user right away. The system is especially useful for companies with international locations and multiple US locations like my company. With Bill.com, all accounts payable is centralized and automated. We also managed to save a lot of staff costs with Bill.com. As AP is automated, we use finance staff from Eastern European locations to process AP using Bill.com. This is significant cost savings. First of all, with Bill.com the AP process and related approval is totally automated which minimizes staff costs. We are able to use finance staff for AP where wages are 3-5 times lower than US. Overall, this is a great system and my choice # 1 for AP automation!

Cons

Bill.com is a great system. I really don't think of any disadvantages. I just encourage Bill.com to develop and process more with newest financial innovations like automation and machine learning.

Response from BILL

That's great to hear, Barbara. We'll be sure to pass on your positive sentiments to our product team.

Anne

Reviewed on 18/09/2020

Continual heartbreaker

Pros

It was my first experience with any robust cloud-based software (meaning besides online banking) and set a high bar for a long time.

Cons

I’m an accountant and have been a Bill.com user for over 10 years. I use Bill.com with my clients and have recommended it many times to anyone with a small to midsize business. That’s all in the past though. Bill.com seems to be absolutely hell bent on slowly destroying what used to be an amazing, reliable software. I feel things started getting worse around the time they went public, but that could be a coincidence. Pricing has gone up considerably in recent years. The newest platform is buggy and they keep taking away features or moving them around so you have to play hide and seek. Their customer support personnel used to be wonderfully helpful, and now many folks I encounter barely understand the basic functioning of the software yet are quick to mark your case solved. My clients are getting frustrated with all the reduced quality alongside increased pricing and I’ve started searching for an alternative because there are so many competitors.

Response from BILL

Hi Anne! We're sorry to hear you're not enjoying your Bill.com experience, though we would love an opportunity to make it right! The fastest way to get pass on feedback is through our Help Center. After you log in to the Bill.com account, click Support in the left navigation pane. In the Help Center, you can search for answers and click Contact Us to chat with us securely.

Replied 24/09/2020
Kirsten
Kirsten

Reviewed on 31/08/2023

Getting better but still needs reporting

Allows routing & approvals that are useful

Pros

The automation and defaults have gotten a lot better. The sync function to QB & Sage Intacct works pretty well and decreases duplicative effort. The security around users and banking is well-designed. The note functionality is great for communicating with my staff and maintaining history. Customer support is generally good.

Cons

The reporting is definitely lacking. Running filtered reports is limited and cumbersome. I end up running huge reports when I only need one vendor's history. The sync function works well when it works, but the sync errors can be really complicated. Sometimes, support doesn't get what you're trying to accomplish - it doesn't seem like they all have experience using the product.

Response from BILL

Kirsten, thank you for providing your feedback on what is working well and areas where we can improve. We apologize for any frustration you may have experienced with our reporting tool and syncing. If you need assistance, please visit our website at https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us to request a call, chat, or email from our customer support team.

Replied 1/09/2023

Reviewed on 20/04/2021

Bill.com (BDC) is ready to help with Accounts Payable, but...

I am just 2 months in on bill.com (BDC). It has taken this 2 months just to analyze our existing data and move what we want (import) to BDC from our existing programs. We want to synchronize expense work from data entry into BDC to moving the detail over to QuickBooks (QB) where we keep our accounting data. It is not as easy as it sounds.

Pros

Bill.com (BDC) is a full-featured software program that will simplify recording vendors and paying bills but...
BDC is not as simple as it appears. We are excited to learn all that BDC has to teach us. See Cons....

Cons

To fully engage all the features of bill.com (BDC) one has to be ready to do the prerequisite work in cleaning up a company's existing records. We are using the BDC support team and our own accountant to gradually restructure our accounts payable-expense side of operating as a nonprofit organization. This has been laborious and frustrating at times. A major drawback is encouraging existing vendors to accept payment from BDC. Generally, people are guilty of 1. ignoring emails; 2. misreading emails; 3. not following clear directions.

Response from BILL

Hi, we're sorry to hear about this experience with our app, we'd love to help out if you're still experiencing any issues. Please do not hesitate to contact our team directly by taking the following path: Log into your BILL account and navigate to Support (lower left hand corner) and then type in your question in the bot that will appear in the lower right hand corner. After typing in your question, please select contact support. Thanks again and we look forward to helping you!

Reviewed on 25/11/2019

Business Practices and Customer Service make product AWFUL

The WORST! Bill.com has done nothing but lie to me about their international payments. They lied about comparable exchange rates. They processed an international payment, showed it as "cleared" and then held it for several weeks forcing me to provide additional information on the payment. The vendor never received it and I have still not received the funds back over 2 weeks later. Be careful using their systems as they can hold your funds and really mess up your cash flow.

Pros

The product is good. It's what accountants need...that's it.

Cons

Having to deal with Bill.com customer service in any aspect.

Response from BILL

We're sorry to hear about this experience with our app, we'd love to help out if you're still experiencing any issues. Please do not hesitate to contact our team directly by taking the following path: Log into your Bill.com account and navigate to Support (lower left-hand corner) and then type in your question in the bot that will appear in the lower right-hand corner. After typing in your question, please select contact support. Thanks again and we look forward to helping you!

• Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 11/12/2017

Delay payments to contractors

Cons

I contract with a company that uses bill.com to pay bi-monthly. The company I work for promptly processes payroll and gets it to bill.com. However, bill.com sits on your money for several days before processing it. Some of the claims are that it can't process anything on a weekend, because "banks are closed", which is a ridiculous claim to make because they pay electronically for the most part, at least in my case, and those kind of payments can be processed at any time. Even Monday through Friday it is apparently impossible to get customer service to respond to your inquiry even with repeated follow-up. Apparently they can create automatic email responses to your inquiries and yet cannot process a simple electronic payment. I am fully aware it is very simple thing to process an electronic deposit payment, and there is absolutely no reason to sit on my money for 3 to 5 days before doing so, whether those days fall on a weekend or not. The absolute lack of customer service is appalling. When I login, my payment information from the company I contract for is shown as overdue. Today is Monday, not a holiday, and yet they still could not process something they received last week. Even if they process it tomorrow, it will be a day or two before they get around to electronically depositing it to my card. I love the company I contract for, and I am going to complain to them about this practice and urge strongly to find another vendor, as Bill.com apparently cannot handle something that is a 2 times a month routine practice with my contract company. And I guess it's probably apparent to everyone why they sit on your money for a couple of days - even tho they do charge fees for their services, and that SHOULD BE how they make their money, I guess a little interest helps as well. By the way, there are no phone numbers provided, nor any other direct means of contacting someone about this issue other than email, which other than generating a generic received reply message, is apparently otherwise ignored. Companies who would consider using this company as their payment controller for their contractors, I highly do not recommend it as it is the absolute worst thing about the company I contact with. It's only the fact that the company I contract with is such a great company that I stay. And they may be unaware of the games that bill.com is playing with their contractors' money, but they are going to be made aware of it as soon as I hit submit after this review.

Kelsie

Reviewed on 20/02/2019

Bill.com for Account Payable

This is a big help for Account Payable. You can track and manager all pay out in an one place. You can see approval, requestor, total amount, history, etc. Also, you can deny the pay out without exchanging tons of email to the requestor.

Pros

1. Can store all your independent contractors' information including the contract and W9. There is an attached file option.

2. Can approve via mobile

3. Can track a vendor's history, payout, approval

4. Can add as many approval as you want

5. So easy to use. Drag the paperwork and upload

6. Email notification of status, from approval to pay out

7. Can add multiple entities for one user. For example, I manage two organizations and with one log in, I can access both

8. Communicates with other accounting software

Cons

The preview window can be improved. There is a preview and another pop up to write an expense. Somehow it is confusing sometimes.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Kelsie. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!

Melanie
Melanie
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 16/07/2023

Ge

Works great and seamlessly MOST of the the time. Helps to manage accounting and bill payments and seems to be a great time saver that streamlines processes. I enjoy getting paid faster and love having a process I can track along the way.

Pros

My experience with Bill is as an end-user only. I like the ability to create invoices for clients that utilize them for bill payment/accounting. Entering invoices is a simple process and I like that you are able to view and track your payment requests once submitted. The ability to filter invoices is also easy and you don’t have to learn more than you need to depending on which service/feature you use. I don’t use to process payments but as an accounts receivable option, it works great for me and allows me to get paid even faster. The processing fees are reasonable and expedited payments processing is an option that is also reasonable.

Cons

While my experience is limited as an end-user, there have been a few times where my payment requests were not received or were duplicated. Not numerous but when it comes to payment, having it delayed for another reason is longer than most would want. The companies I know that utilize the full suite of offerings seem to be pleased and have used it long term with success.

Response from BILL

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with our app, Melanie. We appreciate your kind words and will share them to our product team. They love hearing positive feedback like this!

Replied 18/07/2023

Reviewed on 29/03/2023

Bill.com saves us hours each week!

overall, we are thankful it was recommended to us bc it saves time and helps with record keeping

Pros

The automation of bill payments, invoicing from staff for reimbursements, direct deposit options, and that we no longer print any checks ourselves, this along has saved us hours each month. Also, keeps track of all payments for tax purposes.

Cons

Sometimes it syncs with QB but there are errors. Bill.com no longer syncs with Expensify, which adds another layer of work for us if reimbursements are in Expensify.

Expensify and Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to BILL

Cost, set up and synch with other systems

Response from BILL

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We are pleased that customers like you have an amazing experience with BILL.

Replied 31/03/2023
Louis

Reviewed on 1/05/2018

Though a bit pricey , Bill.com offers a unique stand alone , automated website based accounts...

We as a company relished the idea of using a stand-alone website-based system to automate our accounts payable and receivable and found Bill.com.
Bill.com is almost peerless as it offers convenient integration with Quickbooks online that we use regularly. We can now create invoices and have customers pay online, as well the ability to create particular ACH accounts which allow for direct payment into our account as opposed to a percentage of the transaction assessed so often by other companies offering similar services. Customer service access was difficult to help support our usage of some record keeping tools however in our final analysis if a company is just focusing on accounts payable and receivable and NOT a complete financial system, Bill.com fits the bill.

Pros

We absolutely loved the immediate integration with quick books online.
Our company found the user interface extremely easy to understand and even easier to use with well written executed menus and graphs.
Invoices are easy to compose and customers are afforded the ability to pay online which we found ultra convenient.

Cons

The cost structure we find a bit pricey for the more enterprise orientated company models.
As a company wants to integrate with other systems like Intacct or Netsuite, prior membership is required.

Guru
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 3/10/2023

Aspects of Bill.com

Pros

1. Ease processing2. Approval Workflow3. Payment processing4. Initiate ACH invite

Cons

Easy to access the tool and easy to integration with another applications

Response from BILL

Guru, thank you for your feedback. We are thrilled to hear that approval workflows, payment processing and inviting vendors to use Epayments are working for you. We apologize for any frustrations that may have occurred when trying to access our software and integrating with other applications. If you need help with anything, you can reach our customer support by going to our website: https://help.bill.com/hc/en-us and request a call/chat or email

Replied 10/10/2023

Reviewed on 20/12/2018

Good idea, but poor support and answers from company

Great concept but if you don't have the customer support in place this whole process is useless. Other companies out there supply the same support and my advice would be to seek out those companies as for the price and service you get, it's well below where it should be.

Pros

Set up isn't very difficult and linking to QBO is easy, ability to set different approval levels is a great feature for segregation of duties

Cons

Awful customer support. Can't talk to anyone on the phone, just thru chat. They send a client of mine an email saying the following: "We are writing to inform you that Bill.com is no longer able to offer services to xxxx based on a review of the account and activity. Your account has been deactivated and canceled. You will not be charged for any subscription fees for the current period. " Tried to follow up to get answers, no response, chat people just say they can't help. No explanations given. Also two weeks prior to this they had issues with sending out approved payments so we had vendors calling asking where payments were, awful experience with this group

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

Quality AP processing

Bill.com has saved us several hours a month with as we have streamlined our customer payment collections as well as AP approval processes.

Pros

It is quick and easy to forward emails with bill attachments to bill.com for AP processing. It is one of the features we love about it. Being able to set up rules that require different approvers based off of the amount of the bill makes it so much easier for our firm to get bills into the right hands.

Cons

Reporting is limited. Using this module for AP and AR on a daily basis, it would be nice to have some better reporting built within the system.

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Daniel. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!

Amanda

Reviewed on 6/02/2020

Great for receivables or payables

Our bookkeepers can enter the bills, the manager can approve them, and the CFO can make the payments. The segregation of duties helps protect the company. Simple to use. Easy to see when a payment will arrive and when a check clears.

Pros

It makes it easy to have an audit trail for entering, approving, and paying bills. It also makes it easy for customers to send electronic payments for their invoices. Customizable user permissions.

Cons

When you invite a vendor or customer to use Bill.com, it requires them to give quite a bit of information in order to set up an account. Some are reluctant to do so.

Response from BILL

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave an excellent rating. We really appreciate your review, Amanda.

Kelly
Kelly

Reviewed on 28/12/2017

Bill.com is a great way to get rid of having to write paper checks.

Time saving.

Pros

I like that I can track when checks go out, if they've been cashed, and easily re-submit a check for repayment or for voiding. I like that I can invite anybody to pay via ePayment and they are in charge of entering their bank info in instead of me. I like that any paper checks that do go out, go out with a copy of the invoice you've uploaded into the system for ease of vendor tracking.

Cons

The refund or returned check feature doesn't always sync 100% properly with QBO (but 95% of the time it does).

Response from BILL

Thank you for your review, Kelly. We're glad to hear that you're enjoying our app and we'll be sure to get your feedback up to our product team!