Microsoft Excel Reviews

4.8

4.8

About Microsoft Excel

Microsoft Excel is a productivity solution that helps businesses of all sizes create spreadsheets to organize data and perform calculations. The platform enables managers to format and present data in charts, graphs, sparklines,...

4.7

Browse Microsoft Excel Reviews

18,871 of 18,871 reviews
Karen May
Karen May

Reviewed on 1/11/2020

Excel is still the most reliable spreadsheet and vital business tool for every organization

Excel is a great tool for users who work on large amounts of data and can handle complex calculations with 100% accuracy. It allows you to create pivot tables, sort, retrieve and analyze data, perform macros in VBA, build charts, tables, and many more features in a breeze! As an Accountant by profession, Excel has always been my best buddy throughout my career progression up until now and it never ceases to amaze me about the powerful features that I’ve yet to discover and utilize for more productivity and efficiency in my work.

My top favorite Excel features are the following:
- Scalable formula and calculation functions (IF, SUMIF, VLOOKUP, INDEX-MATCH, etc.): Excel allows you to extend the formula up, down, across the spreadsheet. You just need to create the formula once in one cell and Excel will help you to populate the formula in the designated rows/columns in your report.
- Excel shortcut keys: it dramatically increases my productivity by using these tricks. It makes you look like a Pro and believe me, anyone will get intimidated when they see you typing so fast without using any mouse!
- Conditional formatting: it makes your data more sophisticated and visually appealing to the users of the information.
- Pivot tables: works like a magic when reviewing hundreds of thousands or even millions of data in one spreadsheet.
- Paste special: copy+paste from one source to your spreadsheet with options of maintaining the formatting, value, comments, or even formula.

Pros

- Able to organize voluminous data into orderly, logical spreadsheets and charts
- Allows simple to complex formula and calculations quickly regardless of the amount of data
- Microsoft Office and Google sheet integration

Cons

- Learning curve; it takes a lot of practice and training in order to advance your Excel skills.
- Calculation errors; Excel will never know whether the data you inputted is correct or not.
- Expensive cost of entry; Google sheets is free

Bradley
  • Industry: Automotive

Good data input.

Pros

Excel is widely compatible with other software we use internally.

Cons

Features and data formatting can sometimes present in unintended ways.

Loide
  • Industry: Military

Reviewed on 2/06/2021

My review on Microsoft Excel

The principal project that I truly scholarly a great deal about Excel in was building an accounting page to track and plan my course enrollments with as a rookie in school. I needed to figure my aggregate GPA and GPA by term, and I needed to design the entirety of the courses I would take every semester from my first semester in school to my final remaining one. By that point I realized how to utilize rotate tables and some other information decrease recipes, yet I didn't actually have a clue how to utilize query works yet. I assembled a large portion of that bookkeeping page around a capacity to naturally ascertain letter grades dependent on rates, and afterward essential SUM capacities for the GPA computations.

The subsequent case was for designing and cleaning a humungous fix of information in my last semester of school. 32 cycle Excel wasn't made for the errand I was utilizing it for around there, however it worked effectively with some content cleanup that I would not like to figure out how to do utilizing standard articulations somewhere else.

This experience was and stays educational for me. I learned more a long time of doing those undertakings than my companions who took classes to learn Excel.

Pros

Colossal degree as Excel has mathematical and literary capacities; you can add hyperlinks and pictures thus significantly more. Numerous sheets can assist it with acting practically like a social information base when joined with separating and arranging capacities. Mistake catching should be possible utilizing.

Cons

The one fundamental hindrance of the extent of MS Excel is that an excessive number of individuals are self trained and the manner in which they have made the accounting page is undocumented so over the long run individuals attempt to alter and present mistakes. Naming cells makes formulae more significant and simpler to fathom. I once attempted to figure out an accounting page individuals had been utilizing for a very long time and found there was an entire section of qualities incorrectly being remembered for an equation. Somebody had been advised to erase a section however they had quite recently concealed it from see so every one of the qualities were all the while being included messing genuine up. Knowing the contrast between concealing qualities and erasing them is quite major.

Top Microsoft Excel Alternatives

Adeel

Reviewed on 26/10/2023

Microsoft Excel the best Microsoft product

Overall I am very satisfied with the services of Microsoft Excel, Since I can see what I'm calculating readily, I utilize it instead of a calculator. Using it, I created a basic payroll system and performed numerous weekly tax computations.

Pros

I've been using Excel for the past twelve years, and I'm quite happy with the program. We can easily create sheets and perform calculations. The nicest part is that we can deal with various currency symbols and add them to specific columns, rows, selections, etc. Working with enormous amounts of data is not a problem.

Cons

when something in the software isn't functioning properly, it can occasionally be challenging to identify where is the error.

THEMIS
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 20/01/2024

Excel is the best software

Many other software try to be like excel but failed as its capabilities are more than many.

Pros

How many capabilities has, you can find for sure one formula that will help you solve a certain problem.

Cons

Not as ease at firstly but as you start learning it you will love it.

Rachid
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

Microsoft Excel review

Microsoft Excel is a program that help peoples and companies to do their academic or professional work easily and effectively.

Pros

Collaboration tools is a most option in Microsoft Excel

Cons

Offline mode is a least option for me in Microsoft Excel.

Erin

Reviewed on 11/02/2024

Couldn’t do my job without it

Pros

There are just so many benefits to using excel! It’s so easy to work with once you are confident, and not over complicated.

Cons

It can take some time to learn the formulas, but they are easy to memorise.

Liezel
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Microsoft Excel Review

As an accountant Microsoft Excel made me read numbers.

Pros

Can Function even without the internet. Flexibility and Work remotely.

Cons

Continues development, however, I am satisfied with Mircosoft Excel performance.

Abdallah

[email protected]

My experience with it has been good for years. I have used all versions of it starting from Office 2003

Pros

I use it at work, as it is easier and faster, and gives amazing results in a very short time, and it has a very large number of tools that I need.

Cons

Very few negatives as it is good but sometimes it is not good with photographs

Bryce
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Solid, very versatile software

Pros

Excel can be used for a variety of applications. If you take time to learn the hotkeys, Excel can make everything quicker from data management to visualization

Cons

I found that it lags in syncing in real time if multiple people are working on the same spreadsheet

• Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 25/10/2020

Still the best and most comprehensive spreadsheet software around.

I could not undertake my daily work without Excel. I'd highly recommend that user are sent on courses to get the basics rights and then move onwards and move to advanced formulae courses and then perhaps Excel and VBA.

Unless there is a very specific data/numerical task that may have custom software, Excel covers all bases very well indeed.

Pros

When people say Excel they use it as interchangeably as the word spreadsheet and it's now excepted that just saying Excel is to suffice on it's own. There is very little that cannot be accomplished with numbers using Excel. I have used Excel to complete financial statements, carry out financial modelling and valuation.

The UI is intuitive, familiar, and with the continual progression and development of Excel within the office family, it's compatibility and integration is easily done. Years ago I only ever recorded Macros to automate and do mundane or repetitive tasks but using VBA is so much better once you get to grips with it and the VBA editor is user friendly.

Functions and formulae are the real massive strengths. The current ones now, 2020, are some of the most comprehensive and impressive. If you are comfortable with logical math sequences then nested IFs are simple and a must!

Cons

I do love Excel but unless you're on a super monster processor with massive RAM, having references drawing on other sheets or very large data sets, can be very slow to initially process. Where possible it is more efficient to keep the data within the sheet but on other Tabs; but this is not always possible. It is not designed foremost to be a database with the large dataset handling but it does try given time to process.

Dave
Dave
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 10/12/2020

The industry standard

Honestly, I love Excel. The truth is, once you unlock the various features there is very little you can't do. For fun I've created a dynamic resume', a slide presentation and even a couple of games inside Excel just to see if I could.

Pros

Excel's greatest value is its ability to be many things for many people. I would say 90% of the people I've seen use Excel only use about 10% of its capabilities, and it's great for that. People are making quick budgets, schedules, to-do lists and even recipes books with excel and don't need many "pro" features for that.
Then there are the people who use it for contact management and data-processing, I've even seen an Excel instance that used extensive scripting to handle CRM, inventory and mail-merge marketing. I don't suggest it, but if you really want to get into it, it's very possible.
I'd say the greatest advantage of using Excel is that it's the industry standard for spreadsheets. If send someone an excel sheet you can bet that they will have a way to open it.

Cons

For cons, it does annoy me a bit that the Mac version isn't nearly as good as the Windows version. It's not surprising, of course, but it is annoying. I use Excel on different platforms and operating systems and the difference is striking.
Also, if you do plan on getting in the weeds with excel for business intelligence and data processing, you can literally spend years studying ti and getting proficient with the all of the capabilities.
And finally, it can be a huge processor hog and slow down everything else on your computer if you aren't careful. Even a simple spreadsheet with a simple formula involving whole columns can suddenly bring a stop to your workday.

Sue
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

A business must have!

I have used Excel for business, home and small home business. I started using Excel many years ago with no computer experience and taught myself mostly. I started using it to keep track of data and parts usage in automotive productions. I started simply and grew from there.

Next I started using it to create and track part testing schedules. I was easily able to create the test parameters, details of these tests, add schematic and print information, dates, machine information, production lines, schedules, reports and file all completed tests and results as well as share these with engineers and customers.

The ability to attach photos to these reports is a huge bonus.

My next feature I learned with Pivot Tables and this opened a whole new arena of possibilities. I gathered all production line data and entered it into line items such as Production line, products coming off this line, counts, scrap, maintenance issues, costs, personnel and down time. This was them accessible in a pivot table I could manipulate to see where the cost where coming from, downtime issue and ways to cut costs and streamline production and maintenance. By simply clicking on which data I wanted to see, in an instant the data changed.

From here I could transfer this data into charts for management to use at a glance.

Pros

Easily store any and all data, information, photos, contacts... the use is endless. I believe I had only scratched the surface in Excel. The more I used it and explored its capabilities the more excited I got about how I could use it.

It uses as it applies to large and small businesses is never ending. You can use it for home business and personal storage of information as well. My Grand kids even started to use it at age 5, obviously not for business but they taught themselves how to use it, PowerPoint and Word.

Cons

I think the only issue I ever had was with updates. For personal use it is pricey when you need to update to the newest version, I suppose in the scheme of things and for its many uses its not that expensive though. Again for personal use when working or sharing with others the various versions can create some issues but they have gotten better about making sure each updated version can transfer data from the older versions Its only an problem when the person using the older version needs data thats on the newer version.

As far as learning in Excel, there are so many books, tutorials and videos you can usually find what you need but there is also so many features in Excel I was only frustrated by wanting to know it all now rather than later.

Reviewed on 22/03/2019

Still the champion of spreadsheet software!

My main purpose when using Excel these days is for conveying complex ideas to different stakeholders, whether they are other team members and colleagues, or clients. We prepare our project proposals in Excel, we calculate our advertising and operating budgets in Excel, and we sometimes even use it to build out calculators that help to take complex math around ad spend budgeting and make it into a user-friendly experience (with a little bit of formatting help to make it look nice, of course).

Pros

I often need to do financial projections as part of my work, as well as organizing lists, information about different events that are being organized, structuring new projects that are being undertaken, and various other calculations that just need to happen in the course of my business, on a day-to-day basis. In other words, its fair to say that I basically "live" in Excel. The thing I love most about this tool is just how much you can do with it, when you take the time to really understand how to use it. Excel is simple enough to use as a place to keep a list of people who are coming to an event organized, and complex enough basically act like a mini database. The flexibility to use a single tool in so many different ways is one of my favorite things about this software.

Cons

Even though I've used this software for many many years, probably a decade or more, and most people regard me as an expert in it, there's still functions and applications of it that I haven't yet mastered. There's so much going on under the hood that it's next to impossible to know absolutely every single function that this piece of software can accomplish for you. Which means that if I'm trying to do something a little bit more complex than my usual activities, and I need to stretch my own limits on what I know how to do with the software, I can often lose an hour or two hunting for how-to guides and videos on the internet to make sure that I get the result I really want. However, once I get it, I've just added another tool to my toolbox that continues to make the software even more powerful. So, all in all, even that is time well spent, in my opinion.

samuel
samuel
  • Industry: Investment Management

Reviewed on 16/05/2019

Best Spreadsheet Software for Office Use

Excel is a great spreadsheet for office use. Microsoft really put a good ideas into its functions. The software is meant for everyone, depending on how you choose to use it. I worked with Excel for 2 years in my internship, and without it, I doubt if our works will be any less easy. It’s is well organized, user interface is clean and easy to work on once you can use the software.
Apart from the cons listed above, Excel is a life saver and I’m yet to see any good competitor in the market, and to think Excel comes with other Microsoft tools which is a benefit.

Pros

For Business usage, Excel is the best spreadsheet software out there; perfect for record keeping. The best part about Excel is it’s perfect for everyone no matter your business niche. I did my intern in a property management company, we use excel for all property informations, especially on incomes and expenses. Excel made my work easy and fast, especially for calculating, data can be easily manipulated without stress of high knowledge on computer usage.
I learned to use excel and was able to work on few things, I have helped friends to create graphs for their project. Excel can also help users in creating some other calculations like Statistics or Calculus; users can also create datas in table format, perfect for presentation. Calculations are accurate, so no need to worry about errors (except for human errors).
The software have varieties of features that just work like a charm, most of which people don’t know. My most favourite thing of the software is the clean interface and easy management of data which helps in getting work done fast.

Cons

Even though I love this software for its functions, there are still few cons about it. My first problem about it will be the difficulty in learning. Learning Excel can be very overwhelming, this isn’t a software that can be learn by oneself, rather you'll seek for someone to teach you or go out and take classes and you’ll be surprise on how much people you’ll meet there, I think Video Tutorials works best, sometimes I do forget some functions and going back to the video just work great. It will take a lot of commitment to learn this software perfectly.
Another cons to this software will be inability to correct errors, although this is human error and not the software’s but once you enter wrong information on the software, it will give wrong solutions and you won’t know this unless if you’re suspicious.
Microsoft also need to rest on changing the user interface of the software, I wanted to use Excel on my friend’s PC with 2013 version of Microsoft Office Tools, I was lost for few moment; most features’ location was changed from how they were on my version and it made work a bit difficult.

• Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 10/08/2019

De facto software for Spreadsheet Management

I work in banking industry. My daily job is to collect different types of banking data from different business units and process them into meaningful information for policy makers. For this purpose I almost entirely dependent of MS Excel. Everyday I collect a number of excel files from different sources and process them using various Macros for time saving. Then I summarize them using pivot table and graph. Finally I create some graphical presentation for higher management's consumption. Till today MS Excel never failed to serve me. Ofcourse, it is very resource hungry and it has some limitations regarding rows and columns size but my overall experience with MS Excel is very good.

Pros

My daily activities are heavily dependent on MS Excel. I work with very large amount of data and following abilities of MS Excel helps me to complete my job timely and effectively:
1. Ability to present data visually by different types of graphs
2. Ability to summarize data using Pivot table and Pivot graph
3. Ability to collect data automatically from different websites using connections
4. Ability to automate different redundant activities using Macro and visual basic

Cons

The things I don't like about MS Excel are:

1. Its very resource hungry. You need minimum 4gb of RAM for day to day activities and 8gb to 16gb of RAM for bigger spreadsheet with more than 200k rows of data.

2. Though the size of Spreadsheets is adequate for normal day to day use, it has a limitation of 1 million (1,048,576) rows and 16 thousand (16,348) columns. Sometimes this limitation forces me to divide my spreadsheets in 2 or 3 parts which is not optimal.

3. The learning curve of MS Excel is not very smooth specially for new users.

• Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 11/12/2019

Microsoft Excel For Engineering Student

Overall this is very usefull software to every one.From a student to a industry workers this software will be ver helpfull and time saving.I recomend to every one this software to try onece and you will love it.

Pros

As a engineering student this spread sheet software is very helpfull to me.Because I am doing many of practicles and researchs in a week. Therefore I have to plot many graphs using analyzed data and using this software it became much easier to me.It can easily insert data to tables and it can do mathematical calculation easily by using this tabled data.It can simply calculate evety data by giving the equation to one data and simply drag it to other datas.When doing many grhaps and table analyzing in the one week it is very time saving option to me in MS Excel. thid is one of my favorite option inthis software.Other favorite option is creating grhaps using this tabaled data.It so simple to make a grahp using data in the tables.There are different types of grhaps and diagrams which can draw using these data in tables.And also I can add this grhaps and tables to my Ms Word documents.I just need to do simply copy and paste the diagram and table to Ms Word.It is very helpfull and time saving to me when I have to add this datas to my course works and assignments.
Thats why I love to work this software this much.In the world lot of people are using this software therefor it became very easy to send my works using this software to other friends without any errors.User experience is outstanding and I recomend to every one to try this software.

Cons

This is very usefull software since from many years.But now so many softwares a developed with more options than Ms Excel.So I don't like to move on these softwares because I need to fit on those softwares and it takes some times.I wish these kind of option will be interdiuse to the Ms Excel soon.In first time I use this software I didn't know any mathematical equation entering methods to calculate data in the tables.Because thre is no grapical input method to add mathematical equations to solve using data in the graph.There for I need to google it on internet.Insted of that I wish it has some button type or any other graphical method to do this calculations easily.It will be very helpfull to new commers to using this software effectively.

Sue
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

Excel

Several years ago I took our Settlement Statement forms [from Word] and set them up in Excel - with Excel's capability of merging cells, its ability to put different formulas in different cells, and having several sheets available in each "workbook" so you can change the formatting of each section, it is like Excel was made for doing Settlement Statements! You can put a formula in one place [say, to prorate the amount of tax due by the Seller and the Purchaser] and put a link to the formula in another place, which automatically inserts the answer in that spot. Any time some information changes [say, the number of days being prorated in the tax example above], you just have to change the number of days in the formula and it automatically updates the total in both places!

Pros

I use Excel to prepare monthly accounting reports. I love CSV files! You can pull all kinds of information from your accounting program into a CSV file, remove any unneeded information for your particular report, edit the content and change the formatting to make your reports look exactly how you want them to fairly quickly.

When you have several columns of numbers, you can put a formula in under the first column you want to add. Then copy that "total" cell and select the following columns that you also want to be totaled and paste it into the "total" row for each column at the same time and it automatically adds and inserts the total for each column.

Cons

The different formulas you can add to an Excel report are great and makes it easy to add totals for certain information; however, it is a little difficult to know the correct formulas and how to input them. I would like to have a reference guide listing various formulas and what they are for - the only lists I have found do not explain what each formula does. There could be a reference guide, but I have not found one yet.

Also, when you need to merge some cells and add text to the resulting cell, it would be nice if the cell height would automatically expand and shrink back down as the contents of the cell changes. I usually have to manually change the height, although not always, so there must be some trick to do that which I have not caught on to yet.

Dima

Reviewed on 16/02/2021

Excel-lent!!

I use Excel every single day! For work-related and personal tasks. Doing my budget there, projections, calculations, data processing, modelling, charting - you name it! So versatile and so useful, worth every penny you pay for it!

Pros

I think the best part is the fact that the spreadsheet is like one giant calculator! Invaluable in today's times when you need to be able to get things done on the go!

There is the auto-sum function which sums all cells in a row/column/custom range, which I use for my budgeting. I have also used their financial functions a lot, to calculate my debt and mortgage repayments. They still have a myriad more functions to explore!

You can format and style your spreadsheets and print them out very neatly. Excel can work with CSV files which are often the raw data output for many software, so data processing tools are at hand. And finally, to top it all, any data can be plotted in over a dozen different ways and visually represented for either your perusal or a business presentation.

This is a fantastic piece of software and definitely my most favourite out of the whole MS Office software bundle.

Cons

There is one massive minus to Excel - which had been there for ages. You can't scroll sideways while holding down the Shift key, as in all other programs. This is so unfortunate since Excel's columns can be far-reaching to the right very often, and so while vertical scrolling works, for horizontal scrolling one still needs to use the old-fashioned "drag and drop the scroll bar". I hope the devs of Excel will read this and fix it soon - to make the experience perfect!

Muhammad Zubair
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

Microsoft Excel - Best for Analysis and Tracking Use

We use MS Excel for keeping daily records, task tracking, and creating reports for our projects. It gives an edge when we have large data calculations to perform to get feasibility reports for upcoming projects.

Pros

I have been using Microsoft Excel for over 20 years, it has made my work life much smoother with its countless abilities to perform various complex tasks for analysis, tracking, graphical representation, and record keeping.

Following are some advantages I would like to list down which I liked:

- It is one of the paradigm software from Microsoft in MS Office package which laid the foundation of the ‘spreadsheets’ revolution for various data analysis and calculation tasks.

- MS Excel provides great features for Project Management tasks, creating the trackers and data collection sheets, and keeps us updated on every activity of our projects.

- MS Excel does an excellent job when it comes to preparing feasibility reports for new projects, it was never so easy to do data entries, mathematical calculations, and graphs without it. Indeed, an amazing tool for data analysis.

- The most interesting feature in the software I like is “Filter”, the sheets contain a large amount of data entries, enabling filters in sheets, it is quite convenient to work on specific data entries, which also provide sorting of data entries in various orders such as alphabetical, ascending and descending order and so on.

- Latest versions now give access to the cloud-based storage on OneDrive, which is a nice feature to share excel files with various departments and teams for better collaboration.

Cons

- Although it is a part of MS Office Suite, I would personally like a standalone Excel Software to save the extra cost and drive space consumed by the whole MS Office suite.

- It is a nuisance when I copy tables and charts from other office suites such as Google Sheets, a pasted data looks distorted and loses formulas and formatting, and requires redo efforts for correction, which wastes a lot of time.

- The formulas and syntax have complex programming structures, even though the Help provides some information, but to learn the complexity of formulas and syntax, one has to take special tutorials and classes to learn more about the advanced MS Excel.

Christopher

Reviewed on 2/09/2021

A great software for basic data management.

Pros

Almost all students have worked with Excel, but less than half of them know everything it has to offer. Microsoft Excel is a requirement, and although we say we know how to use it, this is limited to the basic functions. As we know, it is a spreadsheet in which we can organize information, apply formulas to obtain results quickly, create graphs, generate more than one sheet in the same file, among others. This is why it is a program that most companies handle today as a database, inventories, organization of students or customers, simply for everyday use is a great software.

Cons

Being a software of the Microsoft family, most of its great features are limited to have a 365 subscription on this software, but leaving that aside, Excel is not a tool for a data analyst, as it has many deficiencies in this area, I think it serves a lot for office work, but do not go beyond control and have a proper management of figures and monetary amounts, for that there are better software, but it is not a tool for a data analyst, as it has many deficiencies in this area, I consider that it is very useful for office work, but you do not go beyond control and have a proper management of figures and monetary amounts, for that there are better software.

Gábor

Reviewed on 20/01/2022

A software in need is a software indeed

I live in and writing this review from Hungary, yet I am sure in other nations as well, MS Excel and Office tools are the leaders, but not the only sw. used to deal with a table file, in Hungary we do not even call them "documents", "table files", simply refer to them as "Excel" that is how big impact this program has made on our life.

MS Excel is on the market around for nearly 40 years, one of the most widely-can-be-used sw. on the market and I think is the best.

Happy to have it, personally I am utilizing Office kit from my elementary school days and will in the future.

Yes, there are some rivals to MS Excel, yet it is still the uncrown king. You may give a try to its rivals, there are free and paid versions too, so as online version are available.

Pros

Tons of educational stuff, examples, tricks, cheat sheets, "homework" like tasks are available.

You may get it for free, if you are a student, genuine activation keys for a nominal price can be found in the net, yet can be used with a Microsoft account for free (limitations, less feature are obviously there), with great functionality.

MS Excel is widely-known I reckon in the planet and used by numerous governments, also in Hungary. In the governmental entities, employees, officers use Office software daily, so it is thought until and even after the uni.

Companies, literally in every-single sector utilizing Excel (or Excel-like sw.) daily.

The features MS Excel a bit too enormous for one single user, simply not all the functions, and capabilities can be known.

Small companies like mine, has an Excel for everything, follow up on the expenses, make statistics, handle a table of contracts and important info in them, instead of a CRM, export reports data into, plan the sw. development activities there, embed file in Excels, put pictures in, track daily activities, even you may have excel with VB knowledge to create new files with macros, you can make more filtering, read-write data, manipulate other Excel documents and so on.

Also an important feature, you can lock you sheets, your workbook with a password, so as you can protect your Excel Visual Basic codes.

During your private life, Excel will be your help to do your tasks.

3rd party add-ons are available.

Cons

You have the possibility to share a workbook and simultaneously edit it with others, if the doc. saved to an on-line store, you can edit it on-line or on your on-premise, these function needs to be developed furthermore, sometimes not that smooth, incompatibly due to these versions, loss of functions, occur.

Writing a program to use other docs. data can be not that smooth at first, its programming language VB could be better.

You can crack the Excel workbook password protection if you check it on the web.

Bugs can appear, like resetting a font to the "inherited" one, not showing the result but instead of the formula, not properly loading a different time and language zone created Excel according your settings, showing English formulas instead your own language. Excel also tends to bet slow or even crash when you supply it too much data (but like Power Query, Power Pivot and other, newly introduced "tools" aiming to make these better). Consuming RAM, hard drive could be better.

On the IOS, Android apps world, Excel I am not sure the best, nor the leader (as MS got aware this "market" a bit later).

When moving from away from your "initial" network or VPN to a different one, it tends to not be able to save your work or give you dialog boxes to re-save your work or overwrite the existing file.

Conversion between other text file types, data inputs, reading, opening, editing inherited data, handling dates, are some points Excel can give you hard times.

Ansh
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 30/09/2022

Best software to manage and huge data

My overall experience with the software was great as I store all the data of my company on the sheets of excel only because it's easy to understand and manage. I also able extract analysis of data after every few months which makes it even more useful. I will say that excel is best data handling software developed till now.

Pros

The best thing about the software is that it works offline. You can store huge data and make them in presentable and understandable form with the help of Microsoft Excel. It has rows and columns which makes it even more professional and useful with help of formulas you can analyse huge data analyze it in just a few seconds. It has a lot of different tools to make the working of data management much easier.

Cons

The formulas used in the software are a little difficult to learn and if you wanna use them for basic use then it's good otherwise for using shortcuts you will have to learn it properly by taking its course because excel is not something which anyone can understand and learn in few days and if your document corrupts for some reason then you will lose your all data. The user need to be a little cautious while using this software.

Lilians
Lilians

Reviewed on 15/06/2018

I consider it an excellent software, very complete and with a quite versatile spreadsheet.

Excel has been part of my life for many years, I used it in the student field to create dynamic tables and insert them into my reports, also to perform simulations with more complex calculations. In my professional life has been a fundamental ally, since I use it daily to perform calculations, tables, either for my reports or presentations, to make graphs of different types, whether trend lines, bars or circulars to compare values of different categories, has also been fundamental to perform financial calculations with multiple data, through the use of macros.

Pros

Mainly it is the most useful spreadsheet I have known, applicable to many areas, allows to perform any type of mathematical operation, whether in the field of engineering, administration, education or daily life, excellent for performing dynamic tables, allows to perform hyperlinks in a simple way, it allows to make multiple deductions with complex functions and insert them in the reports and presentations quickly, Excel also facilitates the work, since it allows filtering data and hiding cells to visualize only what we are interested in, Microsoft Excel is a very efficient, it is one of the best I have used and is indispensable in my professional life, this software has many versatile functions that are worth using.

Cons

One of the disadvantages that I get in this tool is that when activating the license it is necessary to buy it and its price is a little high, on the other hand there are certain functions that can only be done within the same sheet, for example when you want to transpose data, perhaps it would be interesting that it allowed to perform all the functions in different sheets that simplify the user's work.

• Industry: Computer Games

Reviewed on 16/07/2018

Excel is the best software Microsoft make

Our entire business is built upon our use Excel, we use it multiple times daily for literally any type of purpose you can imagine. There isn't anything that comes close to this software.

Pros

Where to begin with Excel? - Well, it's a spreadsheet software package that has been around for decades, the ubiquitous method of making numbers do the work on a computer. Need to track your shares? got it, want to keep a list of your staff's birthdays? no problem, want to calculate your mortgage repayments? doddle.

There is literally nothing that cannot be achieved with Excel, it is a flawless masterpiece of computer science design.

If you ever reach a point where Excel cannot do something you want it to, you can learn the Visual Basic language and that opens up a whole other world of scripting possibilities.

As a software development team, we pretty much use Excel on a daily basis, ideas, calculations, lists, anything can be done with this software. It is the backbone of our entire business and we simply couldn't live without it.

Over the years the developers have added more and more features to keep it up to date, (it can link with live databases, do pivot tables, filter lists and results, and infinitely more) - if you ever find something Excel can't do, then it simply can't be done.

Cons

Our only problem with Excel nowadays is that the Google Sheets application "Does sharing better", with the google alternative we can simultaneously online edit Excel sheets on a live basis, for free, this is a whole new world of possibilities. However the google sheets application doesn't have the same functions (yet) that make Excel so powerful, (the scripting language, is nice, but requires much more security checking) -

I think the years of excel dominance are under threat from Googles new upstart, but it will take years and years before we finally click the excel uninstall button. Everything we do is in .xls format and we like it being "locally stored" on our servers and PC's.