TheraNest Reviews

About TheraNest

TheraNest is an HIPAA compliant web-based mental health solution used by solo practitioners, large mental health practices, and nonprofit organizations. The solution is suited for therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, and...

4.1

Browse TheraNest Reviews

Gary
Gary

Reviewed on 21/11/2018

All In with TheraNest

Our office was using one company for scheduling patients and patient notification (text messaging); one company for billing; and one company for notes which resulted in huge opportunities for human error; the specific needs of our office were not addressed with any one company.

TheraNest addresses most of our office needs in one integrated program. Scheduling, appointment notifications, progress notes, billing, and ERA (eventually).

I previewed the ERA and it looks like it will efficiently apply payments to billed services.

I am very satisfied with TheraNest and strongly recommend it for other Behavioral Health providers.

Pros

Imported years of data from another system into TheraNest with no errors and very limited time commitment. Their customer support was very helpful and honest about the transition.

TheraNest is full featured- Our office used a competitor program for 30+ years but wanted/needed a cloud based state of the art EHR program- Our office tried several other popular programs but they all had significant limitations. We are very excited about Theranest.

Our Office is new to the program but so far so good. The customer support is excellent. They are adding features frequently, including specific features requested by users. The start up learning curve is doable and our staff picked it up in a few days versus weeks.

The scheduling, pt. appointment notifications, calendar, and agenda are well thought out and fully integrated. The initial intake note and progress notes took some getting used too but they work very well- DX codes are easily entered and updated. The progress notes are very professional and signed and cosigned if necessary.

I know this sounds like a paid advertisement but I have spent a lot of time, money and effort trying other programs and I was never more encouraged than with Theranest.

Our goal was to be fully functional with the transition from our current system to Theranest by January 2019. We are ahead of schedule and our intention is to bill our first full month of receivables for November 2018.

Cons

The fees were initially off putting. But after becoming familiar with TheraNest, I see the potential for a very efficient, time saving, integrated system that is well worth the monthly investment.

There is also flexibility with monthly billing based upon caseload (increasing or decreasing at discretion of the user) and it seems fair.

Response from Therapy Brands

Thank you for the glowing review!! We are so happy to hear you and your team are enjoying TheraNest!

Replied 18/12/2018

Reviewed on 12/12/2021

from Great to Bad Greedy

Overall, I really liked theranest. I probably would have continued to use it because it was easy. I recommended it to my colleagues and some of them had signed up to it too! But it became too money hungry, too fast. Thanks for a bunch of other providers who made a Facebook group for this purpose only, some took the lead to try to talk with management...and that's that. So many providers switched to another EHR, and finally I did too. Normally, I don't write reviews but It was ethically and morally unacceptable, this left many providers to either pay the fees, use another software and pay that too or cut back on telehealth at a time when everyone was hurting financially. I think theranest would be good if you only plan to have a couple of clients and only use basic notes/assessments. Otherwise, you will find yourself paying fee increases often.

Pros

I've used this EHR since for about 5 years when I started my practice. I liked that it was simple:
1) The scheduler was easy to use, the notes were straightforward, the submitting of claims was a breeze.
2)I also liked that they have an app to download on your phone and clients would tell me it was easy for them to log on using their phones.
3)I also liked the simplicity of the calendar and the ability to print reports, client lists, etc.
4) Not sure if they were starting off as a new business at that time, but customer service was so responsive and seemed to care.
5)As I transitioned out of this platform, I really liked that they actually updated the ability to download complete files into one PDF!

Cons

Over the years it went from amazing to poor for a couple of reasons:
1) the customer service is really slow, it can take up to 2 days to resolve a simple issue or concern
2)You are able to create your own notes template, assessment templates, BUT if you do, these will not integrate with the rest, what do I mean? If you create your own custom, this does not work and you have to do all the steps each time. Oh, and when you download files, any custom templates, don't download with the rest of the file. You have to do it individually, for each client...
3)Telehealth is so bad. Either I would disconnect or my clients would disconnect for unknown reasons, so I just switched to Doxy for FREE.
4)They keep raising their fees! I understand that all business raise fees, but it seemed to be every so often. New feature, new fee. New feature, new issue to troubleshoot.
5) Last year, they sent emails asking providers to sign a BAA...I signed one in 2016, when I signed up, were they misplaced? I don't know, I had no answer to this, I didn't sign it, I had an old one in my files.
6) during the start of the pandemic, they raised their fees! For example from $10/month unlimited, to Standard Users: $12 / month for up to 30 one-hour sessions", each additional hour $1. (I have the emails too!) It seemed very unethical and poorly timed. I finally decided to download every single PDF client chart and switched.

TherapyNotes, LLC, TherapyAppointment and SimplePractice

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

I started using this platform while still paying for theranest, while I transitioned. So far it has been about 6 months and I am so happy and so excited about it. The billing is sooo easy, I like the ability to make my own notes and assessment templates. I'm still in the 'honeymoon' stage, I really really hope that they don't disappoint. Customer service has been excellent. And they seem ethical and very reasonable.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

At the time, it was the easiest, simplest, and reasonable.

Reviewed on 10/07/2019

Not great for larger practices

Most everything has already been said. It's been like many up and coming technology companies - not a lot of great customer support; communicating through email is frustrating (because they don't read completely what your issues are, etc.); and lots of kinks to be worked out. I also feel as if their "updates" are focused on completely superficial and peripheral things and not on the core of the software.

Pros

The therapists on staff at my agency love the software. With only a few complaints, they find it easy to use and obviously are happy to not have paper files any longer. We have used this software since July 2018. I also appreciate that TheraNest offers a discount for nonprofits, which our counseling agency is a nonprofit. This helps with my budgeting.

Cons

The billing and reporting of this software is lacking in many ways, from the lack of robust reporting options to very elementary and clunky billing system. I would NEVER recommend this product for a group practice. Literally, we asked them early on - due to their statements being very difficult to read - if they had any accounting professional associated with the development of the software, and the answer was no. I have a CPA who reconciles our books every month and it's been a nightmare trying to reconcile TheraNest. Again, it might be good for a solo practitioner or for someone who is less worried about reconciling finances.

Response from Therapy Brands

Hi there! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we appreciate hearing about all experiences!

We are happy to hear that your therapists are loving the ease of use and clinical documentation features. Client management is a breeze!

More recently we have made several updates to both our billing and reporting features. If you haven't visited these functions in some time we would highly recommend giving it another try! Reporting is a breeze with the new customizable options on the Daily Billing report! We consulted with accounting professionals and did many customer validation calls and we are getting a lot of positive feedback.

We are surprised to hear that you are having trouble communicating with our Customer Happiness team via email. Sometimes we may need to ask some clarifying questions to ensure we are on the same page so we can point you in the right direction. But we'd be more then happy to work with you over the phone if that is easier for you!

Replied 16/07/2019

Top TheraNest Alternatives

My Clients Plus

Qualifacts CareLogic

QuickBooks Online

Amy

Reviewed on 5/08/2020

Recent Failures

If you asked a few days ago I would have said it’s pretty decent but in recent changes they lack integrity and are taking advantage of customers in a pandemic. Not a company I want to be a part of anymore. Regardless of some great features I would look elsewhere.

Pros

I have used Theranest since it was a new company. In the beginning the customer service was wonderful. The look is clean and user friendly and they have great tools and tutorials. They offer a wide variety of services.

Cons

I liked most things up until this year. Their customer service has been spotty this year and I was giving a little grace due to COVID but have learned that they were bought by another company in Feb of this year and that has brought about the change. Their telehealth option has been reasonably priced and has worked fairly well with the occasional glitches- it could use some improvements but 8/4/20 they sent an email stating that they are raising the telehealth fees for anyone seeing more than 30 clients a month by about 400% and raising their already high credit card rates fairly significantly. In an email I was basically told by their customer service rep that my business wasn’t that important to them.

CounSol.com

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

The quality of the product at the time. The interface was superior at the time.
Christina

Reviewed on 4/10/2022

Best EHR/PMS for the money

I had never used an EHR/PMS in the past. (The company we left was still using paper files.) I can't believe how much easier it is to keep up with my paperwork. I am more organized and efficient. Thank you TheraNest!

Pros

When my business partner and I decided to go into private practice together in 2016 we looked at many different EHR/PMS software brands. I read reviews and did trials of the top 3. TheraNest was by far the most comprehensive, cost conscious, and easiest to use. They are always working on improving and expanding the functions and listen to customer feedback. I occasionally look at others to compare again, but TheraNest continues to be the best!

Cons

I wish it kept track of when I create and send invoices to clients. I have to download and save them in my files, so I can keep tack of when and if they were sent.

TherapyNotes, LLC, SimplePractice and Therasoft Online

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

TheraNest was by far the most comprehensive, cost conscious, and easiest to use. It meets my practice needs.
Lindsay

Reviewed on 23/06/2020

Favorite EHR System!

I am very happy with my experience with TheraNest. I feel secure knowing all my files are in one place and I can access from anywhere, anytime. Training staff is easy too with so many videos and articles to help train them on how to use the system.

Pros

The product is intuitive and easy to use. I love the note writing (can copy from last note), treatment planning (wiley system) and billing features. I love that TheraNest is constantly updating and making the system better and better!

Cons

Creating custom forms can be difficult. You can't copy and paste a document easily and have to re-create each one. Once you get used to it, it becomes easy just takes some learning :) Sometimes it takes a day or two to hear back from customer service if you use the chat feature.

TherapyNotes, LLC and SimplePractice

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

Yes! I did trials for these 3 programs and chose TheraNest!

Response from Therapy Brands

Thank you for the review Lindsay! We are so honored to be your favorite EHR system. We will continue to work hard for you to earn that #1 spot.

Replied 27/07/2020
Tyler

Reviewed on 5/10/2020

5 Stars

If you are wondering if you should, and you have spent hours searching like I have. You can stop. Theranest has got it all.

Pros

I have to say, I was scare to take on a venture of switching EHR’s. Our previous EHR was spectacular. Theranest was a lot to understand at first, and had way more features than our previous EHR. But within 1 week, we made a complete merge and once our platform was completed functional, the easiest part was bringing out clients over. The ease Theranest has instilled in their system makes it work every single penny spent.

Cons

I am not sure if any EHR does do this, but I wish merging our clients documents and implementing all of their information into our Theranest was a bit easier. But spend time getting used to the system and where everything is, and you’ll have no problem.

TherapyNotes, LLC and Therasoft Online

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

To allow office staff more access to our clients and interacting with them so clinicians can do their job and not worry about the administration side.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

TheraNest’s client portal. That’s what won.
Michelle

Reviewed on 4/10/2021

Theranest Supports my Private Practice

Overall, I really enjoy using Theranest for my EHR, & billing needs. Since it is all in one place, I am able to take care of these needs with ease.

Pros

It took me a bit to get to learn all the ins & outs of the software. However, on a personal level, I have to practice something until I am able to do it with ease. The Knowledge base in Theranest helped me look up anything I needed to learn to do and the instructions are very easy to follow, especially because they have videos to show you as well. Thus, it was in this way that it made learning how to navigate all the features with ease.

Cons

The process that was the most difficult, and still have not figured out is the APEX system, I thought I had gone through all the steps, but it still kept giving me trouble and then I gave up.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

I liked the aesthetics of TheraNest and it seemed more user friendly when I was doing the trial period for both products.
Chassidy

Reviewed on 25/01/2023

User Friendly EHR

Pros

I have used Theranest for over five years since starting my solo private practice. The ease of use has been outstanding. I have everything I need to keep organized records, appointments and invoices all in one place. I transitioned to providing Telehealth seamlessly with Theranest during the Covid pandemic as well.

Cons

There is really nothing I don't like about it.

EHR 24/7

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

I thought TheraNest was more user friendly and customizable.
Dr. Holly
Dr. Holly

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Depends On Your Needs

It was decent. They have superb customer service. I really liked how attentive they are to your needs and are very open to making sure your issues are resolved.

Pros

Uploading documents into client's charts was a breeze. It made it easy for my staff and I to review charts electronically. The calendar feature is very user-friendly.

Cons

It was very difficult to figure out how to co-sign on my staff notes. I needed this function and found it hard to set up. Setting up each staff person was a little difficult.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

TheraNest was affordable. It didn't charge me per staff as some other programs. That was financially feasible for me and my agency.
Kenneth

Reviewed on 25/03/2020

Great Reports - Slow to Nonexistent Customer Service

Pros

I really love the reports, especially the demographic reports (with pie charts even) that I can pull with this EHR. I also love the all-in-one pricing, in that I can have as many therapists as I want - pricing is based on number of clients, not therapists. This EHR is user-friendly, somewhat updated GUI (still lagging behind the times, but not bad), and easy enough to figure out on one's own.

Cons

Cons - truly - there is only one problem I have found in the limited time I have used TheraNest. If you need to contact customer support - good luck. Emails generally take a week or longer to receive a response and I have only spoken 1x to a live person by calling support - and I have called MANY times.

Reasons for Choosing TheraNest

TherapyNotes was fairly expensive for the same features with fewer reports. SimplePractice was just way too expensive and nickel-and-dime every service or feature they offer.

Reasons for Switching to TheraNest

I was really taken with TherapyNotes' reports and smooth operation. I love their pricing by clients rather than by staff. They do charge additional fees for Telehealth/clinician, but it's worth it to have an integrated client portal (with payment and signatures) and demographic reporting.

Response from Therapy Brands

We are glad you are finding the reporting so valuable, Kenneth!

We heard you loud and clear, we've added several additional Support staff members to the TheraNest team to decrease wait times.

Replied 24/07/2020
Maria

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

New Electronic Note Taking and Billing Experience for my Practice

I am solving a time and storage problem through the use of Nest. The more I become comfortable with this software, the more I am able to do with leaving the office and having time for myself. In addition, I no longer pay an outside service for billing and bill almost immediately through the Nest program, understanding the ins and outs of how insurance panels prefer the electronic billing to another means.
In the 6 or so months that I have used nest, I find it a tremendous asset to my business life as a therapist.

Pros

TheraNest continues to revamp and update its software making it more compatible to my needs as a clinician. Once you begin the experience of Nest and take it one step at a time, you realize that you are making progress with virtual notes and storage, billing and even telehealth! At first I was overwhelmed with learning to do everything online (changing from paper and pencil note taking, having an outside billing service to all electronic needs) I have made excellent progress where I am saving both time and money with the Nest Service.
One great aspect of this service is the customer care with live online support and articles to read on areas I may need help. Training is offered on the areas I need the most help and the staff frequently ask how they can make this software product better and more compatible to my needs as a therapist's. A final accolade of Nest is being able to store secure photos of client art work and additional notes and documents. There is a secure client portal too if you choose to use this for intake and other virtual needs.

Cons

As a seasoned professional with little to no electronic note taking experience, my learning curve is not as adept to electronic storage, billing and virtual sessions. So, I find that sometimes the training tapes are too fast and too in-depth for one sitting. Therefore, I need to review them a few times in order to understand what area of Nest to access and what tabs I need to use for processing. Fortunately the support staff are ready to help me in all of my questions.

Response from Therapy Brands

Maria thank you for this very insightful review! Going from paper notes to electronic notes can seem like a daunting task but there is nothing to fear when you have a team of TheraNesters behind you! We are happy to hear that you've been able to cut cost, streamline your practice and get more time back for the things you love!

Replied 30/08/2019

Reviewed on 3/01/2020

TheraNest for Small Group Private Practice

Overall, I have truly valued using theranest for my work. It has been a wonderful system for practice management that I can do virtually everything I need to for my clinical practice. Once you’re familiar with the system, it is so easy to navigate through and complete the work in a timely manner. Although not without its frustrations, Theranest still has room to grow and develop. But I’m happy to wait along for the changes they have made.

Pros

TheraNest offers our practice the ability to effectively manage a caseload from all different sizes, and enables us to maintain confidentiality of patient information even across different users. I love that I don’t have to worry about someone else seeing the notes or appointment dates other than those who should.

TheraNest’s template for progress notes, intakes, and treatment plans are super helpful in keeping me organized and making sure that I do not miss any information that needs to be documented.

Additionally, I appreciate the software’s consistent updates that take into consideration feedback received from users like me. I was especially appreciative of their addition of separate gender identity and pronoun lines in the client details section.

Cons

Learning the software is difficult - wherein we notice a lot of people making errors in setting up appointments or being able to navigate through the site.

We also find that few people use TheraNest the same way across the board, which creates some inconsistencies for us on billing and case management.

Additionally, I have noticed minor fixes that could help to change the overall experience. For example, there’s no option for a user to cancel/change multiple appointments at one time; e.g., when a therapist is going out of town for a week. Also, there is no option to maintain a history of client demographic information, once you update the information (or the client does) it is gone.

Lastly, there are seemingly no options to enter notes or addendums to notes that are signed or attached to a billed invoice. As a clinician, we notice mistakes at times and need to include additional comments like follow-ups with collaborative providers, client homework, etc. that would be best attached to the session note.

Response from Therapy Brands

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us a review! We appreciate your feedback, and we certainly agree there is always room to grow and improve! It is valuable customer feedback like yours that helps us continue to build upon the wonderful features we offer.

Replied 24/07/2020
Kelley

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

Incredibly happy and satisfied that we switched to Theranest!

Exceptional. Our journey started with their [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], who did an exceptional job explaining what Theranest would provide and how the system works. My big issue is customer service, if it involves a client's experience, whether its billing or telehealth assistance. When I have occasionally come upon a problem (which sadly is often user error....me...), I have gotten prompt response and excellent customer service. ([SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]? Amazing. And those articles by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN], so helpful) . We are delighted with the switch.

Pros

I love the clean interface and the ease of use this product provides. As someone who is not particularly technically savvy, this was an easy platform to learn and to teach. Secondly, and VERY important to me, the customer service is exceptional. They respond in good time, and they are incredibly helpful when they do. Its worth mentioning, that often I'm sending in a request for help at the end of my day, knowing that I won't hear back until tomorrow. While I usually loathe being referred to an article to address a problem, the articles they provide are exceptionally written, and give clear concise STEPS to resolve an issue. (Kudos to their writer, who is worth her weight in gold). So I can say we are extremely happy that we switched to Theranest.

Cons

I haven't found any yet. We've had this for 6 months and nothing has happened that is problematic. In fact, its been a pleasure learning and working with the system and the Theranest Team. (And they are a TEAM) [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] particularly is phenomenal. I even like the bot system that does the initial chat space! I usually hate that but its SO effective.

yehia

Reviewed on 12/04/2023

yehia

One company was used by our clinic for patient scheduling, patient notification (by text message), billing, and notes, which created a significant risk of human error and failed to meet the unique requirements of our practise. The majority of our workplace demands are met by TheraNest in a single, integrated package. scheduling, reminders for appointments, updates on progress, billing, and ERA (eventually). I looked over the ERA in advance, and it appears that money will be applied to billed services effectively. TheraNest has my highest recommendation for other behavioural health practitioners since I am so pleased with it.

Pros

Years of data were accurately and quickly imported into TheraNest from another system. They provided excellent customer service and were upfront about the shift. Our office tested several other well-known applications, but they all had serious drawbacks. After using a competing programme for more than 30 years, we desired and required TheraNest, which is fully featured. We have a lot of enthusiasm for Theranest. The programme is new to our office, but so far so good. Excellent client service is provided. They constantly introduce new features, including those that people specifically ask for. The initial learning curve is manageable, and our staff members mastered it in a matter of days rather than weeks. The planning, pt.The agenda, calendar, and appointment notifications are thoughtfully designed and perfectly integrated. It took some getting accustomed to, but the initial intake note and progress notes work quite well—DX codes are simple to enter and updated. The progress notes are signed and cosigned as needed and are highly professional. I'm aware that this sounds like a sponsored commercial, but after investing a lot of time, money, and effort in testing out various products, I can honestly say that Theranest gave me the biggest boost. By January 2019, we hoped to have completed the switch from our present system to Theranest. We anticipate billing our first full month of receivables for November 2018 ahead of schedule.

Cons

At first, the costs were intimidating. But now that I know more about TheraNest, I can definitely see the potential for a really effective, time-saving, integrated system that would be well worth the monthly cost. Also, there is flexibility in monthly billing based on caseload (growing or reducing at the user's choosing), and it looks reasonable.

Pamela

Reviewed on 9/08/2023

User friendly start to finish.

TheraNest is capable of providing the manager and practitioners ways to individualize their workflows from charting notes to communicating with clients and other work mates. Training to use the product flows well and your can use the self-help options for finding the answer to most user questions. When you are unable to find the answer yourself or you have a glitch, customer service is courteous, patient, and solves the issue.

Pros

Ease of set up, daily use, billing management with Optum and Medicaid.

Cons

I would like to have complete billing management with all of my insurance products, esp. Anthem/BCBS

TherapyAppointment

Ease of use and connection to Availity

TherapyAppointment and ICANotes

Ease of use and connection to Availity
Patrick

Reviewed on 17/05/2016

TheraNest is an evolving EHR platform with a great interface, and excellent technical support.

I have been using TheraNest for approximately 6 months. Here are some of my thoughts.

Pros:
Excellent User Interface. Very logical and intuitive to use, and a clean design.
Very cost effective for practices with multiple clinicians.
Extremely responsive technical support.
Easy to use mobile applications.
Nice features for streamlined and integrated billing, invoices, and SuperBills being created and sent to clients.
Integrated CC processing.
Patient portal for submitting intake paperwork. (add on charges)
Patient reminders with SMS and phone calls. (add on charges)
Excellent Up-Time and great communication from the owner.

Cons:
Limited customization options for the interface, reports, and standard progress notes.
Not really fitting for practices with a prescribing professional.
Creation of patient forms can be tedious and is not easily ported between TN accounts for different practices.
Lack of ability to connect businesses with separate Tax IDs to a master account. (Modern practices increasingly use teletherapy, which can mean multiple business locations, Tax IDs, etc., and each location needs a separate TN account.)
Lack of ability to connect the calendars of multiple practice locations to prevent double booking or double data entry.
Overly basic invoicing and SuperBill formats without customization options (Per tech support, this is currently being revised, but is not yet released.)
Inability to customize the Dashboard metrics, and current monitoring tools have limited practical utility. (Poor cash flow tracking, no notice of unwritten notes, etc.)
Overly limited options for clinician site access (It is essentially either a decision to allow clinicians access to all billing information, or none.)
Limited payment tracking for tracking payments to clinicians.

Overall, I have chosen to stay with TheraNest, and am happy with the simplicity of it all. If the developers continue to help the site evolve, and address some or all of the concerns noted above, I will most likely stay with them and renew my contract for another year.

Response from Therapy Brands

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Patrick!

We are planning to add a prescribing feature in the future. I have tagged your account so you will be notified as soon as it has been released.

Thank you for your suggestion about allowing different tax ID's for the business. We are working on a tele-therapy feature so I will make sure to pass this along to the product team.

We are able to sync your calendar appointments to both Google and Apple calendars. The Missing Notes report will show you each appointment that is missing a note. You can run this report by clicking Reports > Notes > Missing Notes Report.

We are working on a complete billing re-design that should be released in the next couple of months. The new design will help you better track amounts paid by insurance and clients.

If you have any other questions or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know in the application or at [email protected]

Thank you!
The TheraNest Team

Replied 20/05/2016
JudyAnn
JudyAnn

Reviewed on 30/03/2018

My experience has been great. There have been some changes to get used to, but we've gotten...

Professional benefits for practice management.

Pros

Flexibility to manage the calendar without losing information. I like the options. Being able to add service codes for a busy practice.
The in-practice chat is invaluable for the clients using it. Search and expanded view are very helpful.
Powerful and speedy when uploading files.
Real support. I've made requests for changes (along with others) and received attention. I've found some 'hacks' that made my task go smoother and enjoyed sharing them with support.
Colorful. May seem a little thing, but we can have distinctive identity on the calendar for each or for all. Not necessary to open a completely different screen.
Every effort to be secure. Never a problem with security or an uneasy hint that things aren't working right.
Almost zero down time. We're working with 'machines', there is bound to be some down time, but the occurrences have been rare and quickly solved.
Professional action. This reflects on patient desire for security. The appearance and behaviors for entering information are professional.
Ample patient reminders. Patients can respond to reminders to connect with me if we miss one another on the phone. Email is especially good for this.
I reviewed this software about a year ago and have come to like it even more.

Cons

A disappearing con: tutorials and knowledge base has expanded during the time I've been using the software.

Response from Therapy Brands

Thank you for your fantastic and thorough review, JudyAnn.

We continue to build out more support documentation and videos to help you and your team.

Replied 18/09/2018

Reviewed on 12/12/2017

Mixed to negative

I switched from simple practiced to theranest due to the ease of billing (I know which session was paid for v total paid which helped me organize and communicate about billing to clients and group notes and therapy...). Now I feel like simple practice has made such advancements. I am considering switching back as I have yet to see improvements I've been wanting. I'm sure there are more comments but these are what I can think of off the top of my head.

Pros

Billing of knowing which sessions were paid for, dashboard service, price, text reminder, mental health status exam ease on progress note.

Cons

Lack of HIPPA security when sending superbills/invoices which makes sending these securely cumbersome and time consuming (there's a button in the ledger titled "email client" and it doesn't email this securely (password protected/encrypted which means more time consuming steps for clinician), limitations of portal which I don't pay for because of it (intake only v ongoing communication tool)...just because Theranest email is secure, doesn't mean the client's is. Group notes are cumbersome as if you don't do things in a certain order, diagnoses do not make the superbill. This requires repeated tasks and eventually a phone consult with theranest and a lot of backpedaling to get necessary documents to the client accurately. Limitations in editing progress notes...creating custom forms isn't easy. Can't send customer forms post-intake to update things like medications and other changes to have completed electronically (back to portal limitations).

Joseph

Reviewed on 7/02/2017

Great EHR for Private Practice

The software is really good for a new private practice. Like any EHR software there is always a learning curve. For practitioners who are already adept with other EHR software this is fairly simple and learning curve is not difficult. At the beginning it may seem difficult but you can test/tinker around with the features without any negative consequences. Suggest you create a test dummy client and play with the features. You can delete the dummy file later.

Customer services has been positive in all my interactions. I did not feel like I got stiffed any money or felt like customer service is a robotic call center in another country. Customer service always was courteous and tried their best to answer questions. If a problem arose, they tried their best to solve it or if it was a issue out of their hand, they were up front & responsible in their responses.

The features are what a private practice needs including a) prog. notes b) ledger & forms for billing c) treatment plans d) built in assessment e) graphs to track cancellations, outstanding ledgers, and payments f) calendar for appointment schedules g) ability to upload documents to client's record and more. As a single software source for a private practice one really doesn't need extra software than TheraNest.

The only flaw I ran into was the claims process. Specific insurance companies and Medicaid require specific boxes on claim to be filled in a specific way. The service location is the challenge on form 1500 which created a small headache. If you use one service location and that is all then it should be no problem. If you have 3 - 4 service locations such as multiple offices and you have to bill each location with a different number then it can be a little challenge. The problem can be remedied at the next level of billing at the clearinghouse which is what I did. In simple terms if you are just a single private practice and have one location then this issue will not arise. This is why TheraNest is great for private practices rather than large corporations.

Cost for Theranest is decent because it charges based on the number of clients. Also if you have between 2 - 5 active clients, the cost is already covered once your claims get paid. At the time I started it was around $ - $ a month. With a single claim of $ - $ paid, the cost is already covered.

Overall, I highly recommend it for a private practice and clinicians who are just getting started in their own practice.

Response from Therapy Brands

Hey Joseph!
Thanks for taking the time to give us such a detailed review! We're so glad to see that you're liking the software and have been patient with us as we work to improve. Thank you for the feedback regarding locations, we're working on bettering that feature now and hope to have that out to you soon. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Replied 14/02/2017
Christy
Christy

Reviewed on 6/12/2018

Excellent practice management software for my solo practice.

Pros

I find the company is always growing, looking for ways to improve based on clinician feedback. Two changes/improvements have been made that I've requested (along with others) and they've made many many other improvements that hadn't necessarily occurred to me but that have increased efficiency or streamlining. The customer service is excellent. I used to spend hours doing my billing, and before that paid a human being by the hour to do it for me, and now it's literally a few clicks. I have very busy solo practice (30-35 patient hours per week) and I am 100% on top of my Intakes, notes, billing and incoming payments.

Cons

It has definitely steadily crept up in cost since I started using it in 2014, but I've compared it to other platforms and it's comparable or less for what you get. There are many features that I don't need at all in a solo practice, but again, this is probably true in other platforms (this, I'm not positive about) and anyway, I don't feel like I'm paying for a bunch of stuff I don't need.

Response from Therapy Brands

Thank you so much for your kind words, Christy. We really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us! We count ourselves lucky for loyal customers like you.

Replied 19/12/2018
Chanel

Reviewed on 21/07/2017

I have been using Theranest for the past 3 years and I am still being impressed by their...

I aids my practice in running efficiently in all areas.

Pros

The user friendly software, color scheme, and efficiency is what I like most. I recommend it to my clients and I have not gotten one complaint about your EHR. It is great for the administrative staff, clients (Therabook), and the therapist. I love that their staff make me feel like we are one big happy family working together. My questions are answered in a timely manner and they are answered effectively. The same day I might add. Theranest is the best choice for a mental health private practice.

Cons

I honestly do not have a CON. I guess since I have to submit 100 characters as a min. I will say.... I setup many account for different mental health professionals and I have to use a different email every time. That can be a pain, because I do business with my company email.

Response from Therapy Brands

Hi Chanel! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for such a glowing review! You're a fantastic customer. You're always friendly, fun, patient and provide excellent feedback that helps us continuously improve in all areas. It's a pleasure when we hear from you. :) We wouldn't be where we are without customers like you. We're delighted and grateful to have you in our TheraNest family. We appreciate you! Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Replied 20/09/2017
Stacy

Reviewed on 9/05/2017

TheraNest offers everything I need to keep my practice organized and paper-free!

Pros

TheraNest is one-stop shopping! For an affordable monthly cost, I get everything I need to keep my practice running smoothly - I can schedule patients, send them forms ahead of their appointment via the Client Portal, submit my insurance claims in two simple clicks, and keep track of my income by running monthly reports. I also like being able to write assessments and progress notes in my own style using the customs forms feature. Can't forget about customer support; TheraNest is great over the phone, and they certainly listen to customer requests by continuously adding new features each month. For someone looking for a paperless and organized practice, TheraNest is a must!

Cons

TheraNest can be a touch confusing when initially navigating its features. However, after repeated practice, I now find it so simple and easy to use. I wish the Client Portal/Custom Forms could be advanced so that we can change the font size and have control over bolding/italicizing/underlining certain headings and words.

Response from Therapy Brands

Hi Stacy,
Wow, thanks so much for these kind words, this is a great encouragement for our team and we're overjoyed to hear that you're still loving the software. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and your feedback regarding a more customizable format. I'll be sure to pass that along and again, thanks so much. Sincerely, the TheraNest team.

Replied 18/05/2017
Nathan

Reviewed on 20/09/2017

Hidden fees and not intuitive

Nothing I didn't already get from other EHR's. Nothing special.

Pros

It looks great, the implementation of Wiley planner is fantastic, and it gets the job done. The color scheme is nice (it looks pretty)

Cons

Extra fees for: wiley planner, customer portal, reminders, adding staff (pay once to add them, then to give access to wiley, then to give access to client portal!), more than 30 clients, etc! Plus, there is a 10 mb limit on uploading docs to client files. The editor for the intake paperwork is atrocious (let me upload a PDF!). The credit card payments take MONTHS to post in your account. No direct notifications when a client messages you! Unable to edit "non patient appointments" on the mobile app! Several buttons within forms direct you away from a page WITHOUT SAVING PREVIOUS INFORMATION! I've worked with other EHR's in the past and this one is not the worst, but the fees leave a bad taste in my mouth. There are other EHR's that just offer a flat rate and do ALL of these functions. I will be switching at the end of the year.

Response from Therapy Brands

Hi Nathan, Thank you for taking time to provide us a review. We truly appreciate your feedback.
We're looking at how we can improve in all areas you reported on. Many of them we already have on the roadmap for enhancement. In regards to your comment about credit card processing funds taking months to deposit, we did some research and it looks like you've had a total of two transactions on 9/13 that were disbursed to your bank account on 9/14. We've followed up via private email to investigate this further with you. Sincerely, Your TheraNest Team

Replied 17/11/2017
D Jan

Reviewed on 18/12/2020

Theranest problems

I am reaching out on this public platform because theranest doesn't acknowledge or understand the problems we are having.

Theranest needs to buy more ability to hold data and hire more staff for customer service.

Pros

I like the layout, calendar (except for the problems with it) and forms and ability to create forms.

Cons

Customer service issues are answered within 3-10 days and by chat. If you want to talk to someone you can make an appointment for a week later and then you get 15 minutes. This way, theranest customer service makes suggestions for what's not working. Then after we use theranest's suggestions and they don't work, we must wait another 3-10 days for help.

Also, twice theranest has deleted all of our providers appointments without any explanation or any way to speak to anyone at theranest. These appointments were deleted for 3-5 days.

Other times, notes are deleted even though the system says saved.

Theranest has to be refreshed 3 or 4 times every time it is used.

Appointments disappear from the calendar and we don't know why, but there's no one to talk to so we just reenter the client.