Filevine Reviews

About Filevine

Filevine is your ultimate legal tech stack, including case and document management, texting, and time and billing features. Powerful AI tools summarize and find inconsistencies in documents in as quick as a few minutes. Get your...

Browse Filevine Reviews

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

Filevine is the backbone of our practice.

I get the ability to move my cases quickly and in a way that produces repeatable results. There is a huge increase in our efficiency and organization.

Pros

Filevine's feed is deceptively simple. It looks a ton like Facebook. But that's part of the genius. We had trouble getting our team to use other case management software. They would take notes in various programs. But they have all taken to Filevine. The ability to send texts to clients from the feed is game changing for us. We love the document automation and workflows. We recently connected Filevine with Domo to give us best in class automated visual reports for our KPIs. We enjoy the ability to share tabs with our clients, experts, and referring counsel. Filevine allows us to scale our processes. We are very satisfied. Customer support is first rate. I used Clio for almost 6 years.

Cons

Sometimes data has to be entered multiple times in various fields - like birthdates. This is a small annoyance. I do wish that Filevine had an intake tab that functioned like Lexicata to allow our clients to enter in some of their information without us.

Stephanie

Reviewed on 7/09/2021

Best Bang for your Buck

I am very happy with Filevine. The support staff is one of the best of any company I have ever used. Not only are they tremendously patient, but they are very knowledgeable and happy to help you with any problem that you or your staff are having. They listen to their clients and try to improve the features that the clients are requesting most. If you are considering the change to Filevine, I recommend that you do it - you won't regret it.

Pros

Filevine is very easy and is an ideal program for personal injury, especially mass torts. It allows for full customization and you can make different projects for each litigation. It allows you to text directly with the clients, both for their convenience and yours. The information can be placed in multiple sections and it makes it very easy to put pertinent information for your attorneys to use for the cases. You can keep track of all types of information with reports, from which intake sources are working best to what type of cases are currently in your inventory. In addition, I have never had a software that is constantly innovating & improving the way that this does.

Cons

I did not have to integrate from another software, but there are hiccups and delays when that becomes necessary. However, that is true any time you switch from one to the other. The new Docs Plus is very useful, although you will still need to keep at least one account for Adobe Acrobat, as all the features are not there. I wish there was a way to delete comments or tasks (for the administrator), as sometimes these are made but there is no way to clean it up.

SmartAdvocate

Reasons for Switching to Filevine

The versatility and ease of Filevine made the choice very easy for us. It allows my virtual office staff to work seamlessly on their work and with each other. The customization ability made it an ideal choice.
Joel
Joel

Reviewed on 13/10/2022

Great for innovative personal injury firms with dedicated IT team--disastrous customer service!

I have a love-hate relationship with FileVine. If I did it again, I would not have made the leap to FileVine for various reasons. However, it's a great piece of software for the right firm --such as a mid to large size PI firm with a dedicated IT team. Essentially you are given a blank canvas with lots of options. It's not so good if you don't have the resources or IT team to build FileVine out for you, or if you want automation built in, or all in one system.
Ultimately, the reason I am writing this review is the god-awful mess that is FileVine's customer service department. I have to admit am rather upset that FileVine is forcing me to pay for users that we don't have (FV makes you pay once a year and at some point we had some interns who briefly used the software). Other software you pay only for what you use in an automated monthly fashion. FV's renewal process is straight out of 1994. FileVine seems like the admin department has a lot of growing pains--really messy.
But this is just another step in a long history of FileVine's poor customer support (such as taking almost a year to respond to repeated emails about setting up a fax integration.) I thought after treating me so poorly in the past that they would do the right thing in this instance, but FileVine decided they want to make us pay for user accounts that we don't use. It doesn't seem right to me, but it's their company. Ce'st la vie.

Pros

A ton of feature and you can make anything you want out of it. The UI is great and customization is the key to FV's attractiveness. You can built almost anything you want. You have to invest a lot of time into building it out.

Cons

There are no built-in automations such as in Lawmatics. The doc mgmt and calendar are worthless so we use Google Drive and G-Calendar instead. They haven't really done much to improve Filevine in the past two years whereas other software has been developed much more. They charge you extra for every little add on-- you get nickel and dimed to death. It's like when you go to a restaurant and spend $15 for a burrito. Dont charge me 75 cents for sour cream.

Clio

Clio

Top Filevine Alternatives

Easier to use than Ad*****

I am excited to use Filevine. Happy to have made the upgrade from outdated technology.

Pros

Flows more easily. Nothing is too hard to find.

Cons

With daily use, Filevine is easy to use, NO cons.

Response from Filevine

Hi Jennifer, thank you for taking the time to leave your review. We're thrilled to hear that you've benefited from the upgrade and have found the platform to be easy to use!

Replied 9/04/2024
Kitty

Reviewed on 22/04/2021

Best Legal Software... Period!

File Vine has helped push our law firm to one of the Best Law Firms in our area! But, shh... don't tell anyone how small we are. File Vine is a very top notch friendly group of professionals who go above and beyond and very happy to help their clients succeed. Very hands on with training, onboarding and 24/7 support. If you forget what you learned, their help section guidelines and online support is superb. Their dashboard is very user friendly and flows. Love the streamlining of work , task flows and deadline chains. One click generated documents, texting, faxing and email features all within the client's case file. The Outlook email feature is a game changer in time management and organization. Last but not least, the substantial document storage and cloud security is as tight as Fort Knox!

Pros

Access our case files from anywhere, phone, tablet, and computer at home! Ability to text back and forth to our clients within their case file. One click generated Welcome letters, contracts, Medical records requests, Demand letters, and many more to reduce the repetitive tasks and time. Outlook calendar and Outlook emails dumped into our clients case files. The generated documents, sent to clients, signed and dumped in case files. Task flows and deadline chains with instant notifications to those who need to know. There are so many more features I like, I can go on and on.

Cons

File Vine listens to their customers and constantly improving and adding new features so there is not a lot that I don't like about them. They can integrate for you or you can do it yourself. Pretty easy, a little time consuming but it helps you to update and weed out your junk before transferring over to FV.

Kimberly

Reviewed on 1/04/2021

Love Using Filevine

Overall experience with Filevine has been amazing! Everyone in the office seems to love it and it works very smoothly with what we use it for!

Pros

The integration of this product was a bit agitating because it was hard to implement Time Matters documentation into Filevine. Once it was finally complete, however, it has worked like a charm. The Filevine team were also very understanding to our specific dilemma and did what they could to pull all the data we needed from Time Matters.

Cons

I wish it were easier to do the templates. I just don't have the time to enter all the codes needed and honestly don't fully understand how to do it, so it's a bit difficult.

TrialWorks

Reasons for Choosing Filevine

new attorney did not like Time Matters.

Reasons for Switching to Filevine

Trialworks seemed too much like Time Matters and we wanted away from that.
Alison

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

Time Saver

Doc+ is still not as functional and userfriendly. The view of documents and folders. It would be very beneficial to have an option to view all of the documents in the folders and subfolders at one time rather than having to click into each subfolder to see what is in it. This process takes up valuable time.

Pros

This software has made it easy for our team members to track daily tasks and team members activities. This software has also helped us to stream line communication on our files which ultimately saves time for the team and the client

Cons

I believe Doc plus isn't as functional and easy as it could be. I believe it would be very beneficial to be able to see all the items in docs folders in one view rather than having to click in each individual subfolder

Maria

A new Era with Filevine

Pros

It's amazing how you guys integrate every aspect of the persona injury practice and you can customize the experience for every customer.

Cons

The preview for the documents is not the best one, it takes time while it opens in a new tap

Response from Filevine

Thank you so much for leaving your review, Maria!

Replied 6/04/2024
Evelin

From TimeMatters to FileVine - WOW

It has definitely taken us from the 1980's to 2024.
Huge change & upgrade for the firm - still have a few kinks to work out.

Pros

Ease of use for all levels of knowledge / administrative duty.

Cons

We had a very hard time using the Mail Mege / Doc Generator in the beginning.

Response from Filevine

Evelin, thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback!

Replied 8/04/2024
Spencer
Spencer

Reviewed on 1/04/2022

Filevine - hard sales push promises more than delivers

I was intrigued to try this program. I did a demo and had numerous sales calls. It was an aggressive sales pitch. I finally said I'm intrigued to try it out which required me to pay over $2,000 I figured if it worked then it would be worth it. Well after a few days of use, it was clear it did not do what I expected and I did not like using it at all.

It was my mistake and thank goodness I made them include a clause about not autorenewing my subscription.

I recommend against using FileVine. Software should always provide a trial period, even a week. Where such a software does not let you play around with it outside of watching a demo, it should be a redflag.

FileVine may be a good solution for some people but I don't recommend using it because they don't allow that before trying it. And it is not as full-featured as advertised and each little thing is another add-on fee.

Pros

In theory it offers customization. I don't doubt that it does. It has some limited document management abilities.

Cons

They charge you for "implementation" more than the cost of the licenses. I'm not a programmer or computer science graduate but consider myself competent with programs like this. My philosophy is that if I must be "trained" to use it, then it's not an intuitive program.
When I had an issue, the customer service person - who seemed helpful - told me the only way to troubleshoot my issue - the documents were not searchable even though I had paid extra for OCR (notwithstanding word documents are by definition searchable) - was for me to add him as an administrator for my account and that he would look at it.
I was stunned. I've used dozens of programs and received support from them when needed. Standard method is through remote access tool. Who would ever think to add their support rep's email as an admin on my account? This is indicative of my issues with the program.

Response from Filevine

Hi Spencer, we are sorry to hear about your issue with Filevine.
At Filevine, we strive to create products that simplify legal work but sometimes we learn we are falling short. We understand your frustration with the sales approach and are actively working to revise that. Additionally, we hear you about paid implementation. Filevine is a powerful toolwe charge for implementation because we take a hands-on approach to migrating legacy data and ensure instances are set up so our customers can launch seamlessly from day one. We appreciate your honest review. If you would like to discuss this issue further, feel free to reach out to our team at [email protected].

Replied 4/04/2022
Ginny

Reviewed on 26/02/2020

BUYER BEWARE - FALSE, MISLEADING STATEMENTS TO GET CUSTOMER TO PAY & SIGN FOR 3 YEARS

We had a terrible experience with Filevine. The representatives are outright dishonest and lying to the customer just to make the sale. After countless hours of training we were told their forms software was a link to a California Judicial Council forms website. We were going to use the software for forms and billing. We tried to terminate the contract during the training phase within the first few months because the software is significantly deficient and Filevine had outright misrepresented its capabilities. They refused to terminate the contract initially and then agreed to terminate contract but kept our money.

Pros

Billing software was easy to use. Customer service was good until a conflict arose due to Filevine's major misrepresentations to get us to sign contract based on false statements. Their demeanor changed once contract termination was requested based upon their fraudulent conduct.

Cons

Does not have promised forms software which was one of the primary reasons we signed the contract.

MerusCase

Reasons for Switching to Filevine

We did not choose Filevine after paying $2,600. Filevine refuses to refund the money and pointed our firm to its arbitration clause which was incorporated by reference into the sales contract and actually sits on their website. They have an arbitration clause that forces the buyer into arbitration under Utah Laws in Utah. We were duped by Filevine. Filevine is a dishonest company trying to sign the buyer by any means necessary.

Response from Filevine

We are sorry to hear that your experience with Filevine did not meet your expectations. We do our best to inform our clients and provide them with information to make the best decision for their firm in their purchase. We do wish to reach an amicable solution and continue to stand ready to work through this.

Replied 3/03/2020

Reviewed on 17/09/2021

Filevine Review

Great. We have greatly increased efficiency and client communication. It is helping us grow and we have seen a definite increase in revenue.

Pros

I like the flexibility and customizability of Filevine. We have developed tabs and taskflows for several different practice areas that each require unique processes. Filevine is easily customizable and it is intuitive to develop on your own once you get a feel for the basic functions.

I also like the texting feature. It enhances our client communication.

Cons

I wish it had mirror fields so that we could enter the information in one static tab and have the other tabs refer back to that information without having to reenter it multiple times.

Krista

Reviewed on 7/09/2022

Filevine - The perfect "virtual" Case File

Very satisfied.

Pros

So easy to navigate throughout. VERY customizable per legal field. Integrates wonderfully between other legal platforms.

Cons

Updates are often hard to adjust to after we conform our process and procedures around the features of Filevine.

Gloria

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

Best Case Management System

I enjoy using Filevine. It has allowed for our office to become really productive.

Pros

What I like the most about this software is the bcc email address associated with each project. I can bcc the filevine project and it will appear in the activity for that project.

Cons

I think I need more involvement in what roles actually do for our firm.

Randy

Reviewed on 18/03/2021

Great Product that Continues to Give

My overall experience is great. I do wish that there was more available support.

Pros

I handled the development for our PI department and I found the support page and the training sessions that you can sign up for were very specific in what they were teaching and were very helpful. When it came to launching and training my staff, I found it a lot easier than expected.

Cons

I don't like that we are not told when there is a bug that your team is working out. For example, fax and email attachments were not going into our folders from the feed. When we reached out to report the issue, they were already aware of it and working on it. Meanwhile, we had no idea how long it had been an issue so we had to go back thru the activity feed of all our projects to make sure everything was moved over to the folders bc we were following up on items that were already received but we didn't realize. Had we known as soon as your team did, we could handled it differently and paid more attention. It would be nice to announce when a bug or issue is found so we can let our team know and adjust accordingly. We also spend a lot of time researching issues before calling support to make sure it is not something in house just to find out it is not. A lot of wasted time spent.

Christina

Reviewed on 9/09/2021

Filevine Feedback

It is a big step up from where we were but Filevine has a lot of work to do with making the system work for a large firm. It seems like many major things are geared towards smaller firms mainly reporting and permissions levels and features offered to firms that handle litigation. EX Deadline chains and calendaring need ALOT of work. Notifications are overwhelming because you can't limit them by users. System Admins should have access to everyone's account. Large firms should be given a Project Lead consistent with the needs of the customer. An accurate project outline/Agenda was never provided and were never given the proper training or guidance as to the most effective way to customize the sections to our needs which caused significant delays and forced us many times to redo an entire section. There were too many teams, too much switching of people helping us and we were unable to rely on one person. [SENSITIVE CONTENT] is awesome. Everything changed for the better when she was assigned to our account. She deserves to be recognized as she came into a huge mess left by a former teammate and managed to get it done! Thank you [SENSITIVE CONTENT]

Pros

Activity Section, communication with the firm, texting from each project, customization.

Cons

Templates are limited, Admin status is not ala carte, everyone has access to all reports, I have to use multiple reports to get information I need when I should be able to get everything on one report, doesn't support older document imports, doesn't support latest greatest iphone file types for photos, videos types from municipalities for PI are not supported, there isn't a button to create a simple envelope on the contact card, automation is clunky and slow, the backend of Filevine is very very slow to create reports, add or delete things, calendaring system is lacking, deadline chains have to be triggered one by one, if one simple field gets changed all the templates break, can run reports by role, no ability to notify more than one person on a file at the same time, can't pin important things to activity feed unless you are an admin, inability to insert different signatures into different documents, inability to have an individual fax number per user, inability to have a mailroom per user in FV, PDF editor not compatible with faxing or printing everything is blurry, using org groups for calendaring, drag and drop in customs editor instead of entering line numbers, role criteria in user list report, mass updating needs more flexibility especially at migration time into FV from an existing system, ability to email from the system without using a sharelink many companies do not accept them for security reasons, better compressing tools for large combined docs - ex Adobe pro

Response from Filevine

Hi Christina, thank you so much for the feedback.

At Filevine, we strive to create products that simplify legal work, but sometimes we learn we are falling short. We appreciate your honest review and will take the feedback into consideration for future product development and updates. If you would like to discuss this issue further, feel free to reach out to our team at [email protected].

Replied 13/09/2021
Matthew

Filevine review

Pros

Ease of use and lots of options to assist in optimizing your case management system. I love the all in one type nature of Filevine and its continued effort to improve and increase offerings to clientele. Most functions are very intuitive and there is a clear vision to help law firms automate all sorts of tasks that take up time.

Cons

Some of the additional functions are not as developed as I would like. Some issues do not appear until you actually get to use and play around with the new function. Also, some of the automations and small fixes are slow to get implemented.

Response from Filevine

Hi Matthew, we really appreciate you taking the time to leave your feedback!

Replied 9/04/2024
Stacie

Reviewed on 30/11/2023

Perfect for our small firm!

Fantastic program! Everyone at the firm agrees.

Pros

I was introduced to Filevine by a colleague several years ago. I immediately was interested. After getting the information and meeting with my boss. We began the process of converting everything into our FV portal. It has been a god-send on staying up to date, getting documents from clients and having everything all in one place. We love it!

Cons

Would love to send mass texts to all clients.

Vinesign
Katrina

FV for the WIN!

Your overall impression of Filevine appears positive and thorough. You value its diverse range of features, such as centralized document management, collaborative case notes, efficient billing and invoicing, well-organized contact database, effective time and expense tracking, streamlined electronic signatures, and strong security and compliance measures. These functionalities collectively enhance workflow efficiency, promote better communication and collaboration, improve financial management, and contribute to heightened client satisfaction. In summary, Filevine emerges as a valuable and comprehensive tool for legal professionals, providing a complete solution for case management and client representation.

Pros

What I appreciate most about Filevine is its efficient document management, which significantly enhances efficiency, collaboration, and compliance within legal operations. It guarantees that documents are orderly, easily accessible, secure, and current, ultimately leading to improved results for clients and increased productivity for legal practitioners.

Cons

There's little to find fault with in Filevine, given its pivotal role in my work as a case manager. It greatly aids me in numerous aspects of my responsibilities.

Response from Filevine

Thank you so much for leaving such a thoughtful review, Katrina!

Replied 31/05/2024
Laura

Love Filevine

Pros

Flexibility and user friendliness are my favorite features.

Cons

Nothing. We have had no issues with this product.

Response from Filevine

Thank you so much for your review, Laura! We're so glad to hear that you're enjoying Filevine and find the platform to be flexible and user-friendly. We look forward to continuing to support you!

debbie

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

Try Filevine you won't be disappointed

I first heard of this at a webinar. Still didn't look into it until 2 years after that. All and all I wish our firm had started using it sooner than we did. Most exciting is the fact that as a office manager I see more and more resumes coming into my office showing applicants have trained on Filevine

Pros

case management side. This tool allows us to reconstruct our files from beginning to end sucessfully

Cons

nothing about the tool itself. It is very relevant that staff fill out all information per file

Response from Filevine

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your informative review, Debbie! We're thrilled to read that you've found it to be beneficial for your case management and organization. We look forward to continuing to support you and your firm!

Deborah

Reviewed on 9/09/2021

Great Software for Case Management

Overall, I think Filevine is a great program. I love handling files digitally. I have worked with other programs and this is by far my favorite. I think since we started using Filevine that our cases are moving more smoothly.

Pros

There are several features I like about Filevine. First, I really like the daily feed which tells me what is due, who is working on the tasks, and if the tasks is accomplished. Secondly, I like the ability to pull up a case and see exactly what is going on. The activity feed is awesome. I like being able to get a complete view of the medical expenses and providers.

Cons

I wish the system captured injuries differently. I would like to see a tab just for injuries which would allow for notes from dr's records, client communication, etc. Also I would like to see a "planning" tab which would allow the attorney and paralegal to indicate plans for handling the case and the client.

Jessica

Reviewed on 17/11/2023

Overall Thus Far...

I really enjoyed the training. I'm looking forward to learning more about utilizing FV to its full potential, tips and tricks to help in customizing our firms FV to make it work more conveniently and effectively for our team and our firm.

Pros

FV seems very user friendly and efficient. So many capabilities allowing you to stay w/i FV and ie share folders, send out for electronic signature, PDF edit, combine, etc. All really cool features to be more effective and efficient.

Cons

Surprised that when saving a document into a companion case that is already linked to the primary case that you would have to search each case to also "copy" the document there as well instead of a "copy to all companions" option. Like you can save a "note" across the board to all companions attached.

Laya

Used at two different PI firms since 2019

Excellent, it it a very easy to use and user friendly system.

Pros

Very easy and intuitive. Also accessible from anywhere, which was a huge advantage when we shutdown the office in 2020.

Cons

The activity feed includes all of every email chain, can get hard to read and to find what you want

Response from Filevine

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your thoughtful review, Laya! We're so glad to read that you've found our platform to be easy to navigate and intuitive. We appreciate the feedback and are grateful for the opportunity to support you and your firm!

Tina

Reviewed on 19/04/2021

Pros and Cons

Pros

Product is easy to use and I like that you guys are always updating and adding new features. The editing tools such as page extraction and being able to combine documents now is also really helpful. The fax integration feature is fantastic. It is a great way to organize and work your file and keeps all team members updated on the file status and tasks completed and done.

Cons

Right now, I can't highlight PDF documents. I deal with large documents and must extract and highlight pertinent information. Support has told me to adobe to highlight which creates an extra step for me just to highlight a document I am already in. Also, keeping documents and sending documents in a chronological order is impossible. We need to be able to create tab numbers in a brief format which will stay when shared with others (i.e. physicians and defence counsel when serving our affidavit of documents).