Patriot Payroll Reviews

About Patriot Payroll

Basic Payroll: $17/month + $4 per employee or contractor. You run payroll and handle your tax filings. Full Service Payroll: $37/month + $4 per employee or contractor. You run payroll, but let us handle the payroll tax...

4.7
4.7

Browse Patriot Payroll Reviews

3,409 of 3,409 reviews
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 27/04/2022

Patriot Payroll belongs on the short list for any small business looking for an online payroll...

Very easy setup and it's very easy to run my payroll. Also easy to add and edit employee details. Quarterly tax filings are automatic. Their recent fee increase does begin to lose their edge on competitors that offer similar services at only slightly higher fees.

Pros

The service was very easy to set up (that said, I did choose to move from my prior online payroll service, to Patriot Payroll, on the beginning of a tax year). Running a payroll takes fewer steps than Intuit QuickBooks Online Payroll, which I've previously used. The user interface is intuitive with a ready help function. Good reporting capabilities and it's easy to see what taxes were taken and when they were remitted to taxing authorities. Quarterly reporting is very easy.

Cons

Customer service at implementation was very good. However, subsequent interactions with customer service have been inconsistent in that sometimes their response has been slower or less complete than I'd like. Also, although I don't consider it a "con," Patriot Payroll does deduct from my corporate bank account all payroll taxes the day after each payroll is run, rather than waiting until they are due to be paid to taxing authorities. This means taxes due quarterly are deducted from the corporate account as many as three months in advance. I assume Patriot is making some interest income off holding these monies. This early deduction is something QuickBooks Online Payroll did not do, in my experience.

Gusto and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

The monthly service fee for QuickBooks Online Payroll makes no sense for very small businesses such as mine.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price and available reviews for the service I was seeking.
Cindy

Reviewed on 30/04/2024

Pros

The ease of creating weekly payroll and having the option for direct deposit.

Cons

I wish it would calculate benefits hourly, as it is right now, I have to calculate what one person's benefit is for 40 hours and enter that amount.

• Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 3/05/2017

Get a real company to do your payroll

Pros

It is very inexpensive and takes on clients that have very few employees. Customer service reps are EXTREMELY HELPFUL, polite, and very knowledgeable of the program abilities and shortfalls.

Cons

You can cancel ANYTIME, but then you have to send all the State/Government taxes collect to their respective agencies with the appropriate paperwork. Patriot sends all the taxes back to you to deal with. Some taxes are due annually, due the end of January, so if you want Patriot to file it, you have to keep the subscription until that date. Nickel and diming. If you want them to track sick days, accumulated vacation days etc, it is included. If you want your employees to be able to track it through the online portal, that will cost you additional per month. Check out the list of add-ons to determine what is important to you.
They offer QuickBooks import of data, but I have yet to see how anything matches anything on the bank statement. Like taxes are deducted from payroll, they show in a different month than the payroll, and the payroll imports as the gross amount which is not the amount sent to the employee by NatPay. If you use a dummy account in your accounting software (QuickBooks) to run all the payroll functions through, this will not bother you and your accountant will made the journal entry additional adjustments. I could not get my first payroll to reconcile, and it was determined that Patriot made an error and did not collect $ 3.60 in taxes somewhere. I am going with when the taxes were going to be sent to the agency, the error would have been found and corrected (depending on the tax agency, some are sent monthly, some quarterly, some annually.) The next payrolls were done correctly.
NatPay is a 3rd party vendor that facilitates the employee direct deposit. If you enter a payroll incorrectly and want to cancel, even seconds later, Patriot says it is canceled, but you have to CALL NATPAY otherwise it goes through. Be sure to not miss the pop-up warning. I was advised they are working on a better solution to make sure it is clear what to do in order to cancel a mistake payroll that was submitted.
The site is not all that easy to navigate. There are report and default options that may not be easy to locate how to set. Strongly suggest that you contact customer services and they will walk you quickly through the process.
I have worked with 4 different Payroll service companies over the last couple of years. They are not all the same, they each have strengths and weaknesses and wide range of costs. From what I can tell, they all do the payroll functions of collecting and distributing employee payments and taxes correctly. The big difference, besides costs, is what they include in the base price, and if/how they enter this information into your accounting system like QuickBooks. With any payroll service, you always have the option to enter it manually into your system from the paystubs which ensure it is entered how you want it.

Response from Patriot Software

I'd like to take the opportunity to clarify some of your misgivings about Patriot:
1. You are correct, you can cancel anytime. If you do cancel, we do give you any money back we have collected so that you can make your filings yourself. If you want Patriot to file, for you, (we'd be happy to), you just need to cancel after the filings have been made.

2. You do not get charged to keep track of sick days or vacation days. There is a free feature in the software called "Manage Time Off".

3. Next pay periods DO automatically populate. This was a feature we added last year.

4. All payroll reports are under the Payroll tab under "Reports". We have an excellent "Payroll Details Report" where you can adjust dates and select specific employees and/or taxes to view. These can be grouped in a variety of ways: check, employee, paydate, totals

5. Once you run a payroll, a file is instantly sent to Natpay. If you void the payroll, you are correct, you will want to call Natpay and make sure the file has been canceled. Because this is a third party vendor who handles direct deposit, we can't control how their system works after the file is sent, unfortunately. We do give warning in the system to remind you. (We want to be sure your employees are only paid once.)

6. Our QB export only sends by pay date, not pay period.

7. We appreciate that we can make our navigation easier, and our UX team is on it!

I'm having a customer support rep reach out to you to help you with these things. We are here for you, Chris. We want you to be among the thousands of satisfied customers Patriot serves every day!

Replied 5/05/2017

Top Patriot Payroll Alternatives

Reviewed on 27/02/2024

Simple Payroll software

Love it, Highly recommend to any small business owner who wants to keep track of his or her own payroll, Once setup anyone could run the payroll service if needed

Pros

Quick and Easy to learn and set up.
For someone who does not like to give up control this software lets me keep control of payroll with no worries

Cons

Setting up Vacation time has been a little tricky
Sometimes i vary this policy a bit and hard to keep the service and actual time off correct.

Sage Accounting, Gusto, QuickBooks Online and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

QuickBooks Customer service stunk, was switching to QB online and decided to try something else, looked around and found Patriot to be the best and in my budget. Tried a couple other at the same time and Patriot was the easiest to pick up and did all i needed it to do.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

It offered what i wanted, was affordable other products wanted more control of my books besides payroll
JULIA

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

Above and beyond

Always a great experience. Patriot has never made a mistake and fixes mine quickly and easily. Has all the features of a great payroll service without the endless sales pitch, high prices, and untrue promises about great customer service.

Pros

Website is easy and clear to navigate. They are at the fraction of the price of the more well know payroll services. Their customer service is excellent and always available during business hours. Allow you to file on your own for less.

Cons

The direct deposit could be faster but not at all a game changer for us.

Alisha
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 27/03/2024

They're the best!

Pros

I have tried other software and always come back to patriot software. I have absolutely no complaints. Their software is easy to use and their customer service couldn't be any better. I have never waited on hold with them and they always give me the answer simply.

Cons

I have no complaints with patriot software.

Von
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 27/03/2024

Reduced Stress Payroll

So far, so good. The times I needed assistance, Patriot has been very responsive, thorough and patient. Patience is important.

Pros

Patriot will file and fund all tax entities in a timely manner. Plus do all of the payroll calculations. Our employees like the direct deposit. Decades ago, with another business, I had to do all payroll and tax filings manually. Having a service like this would have freed up hours upon hours of time.

Cons

Setting up the state accounts was a bit tricky, but that's not Patriot's fault.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Intuit seemed arrogant. They didn't show up to the scheduled meeting and didn't contact me again until three days after the missed meeting. That turned out to be a blessing and I found Patriot in the gap time.
Mya
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 26/03/2024

I’ve been very pleased!

I’ve been pleased and the customer service of there have been issues or questions has been over the top helpful. Every time I’ve had to call it’s been prompt service and super helpful.

Pros

The easy of use and the fast and knowledgeable customer service.

Cons

Getting use to a new software. However it’s been great and super easy to figure out.

Christine

Reviewed on 25/04/2024

Great Service For Small Business

As a self-employed person who does everything from accounting & payroll, to marketing & sales to procurement, I love that it is so easy & quick to use.

Quick onboarding
Simple to get help

Cons

Wish there was a little more comminations when filings are done

Anthony
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 1/04/2024

Great product at a great value

Pros

Ease of use, great product support and cost.

Cons

No Cons come to mind, the transition to Patriot has been seamless for our business.

Ronnie
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Reviewed on 8/01/2021

Summary

Major benefit is Patriot is less expensive than ADP and easier to use.

Pros

To generate a payroll period, it is straight forward. I appreciate the fact of Patriot taking care of the tax filings. I also appreciated that they automatically added the FFCRA paid leave and paid FLMA leave . I greatly appreciate their customer service personnel. They appear to train them well and are actually helpful either knowing the answer/solution or will inquire with a supervisor to get an answer if at all possible. If not, they are great in following up with an answer or simply responding that they are still researching.

Cons

Navigating through reports could be improved by having a link on every report window to go back to the Report menu rather than having to use the side menu bar. When navigating EE time cards, it would be nice to have the dates appear at the top of the page as you scroll down to enter other hours to ensure you are entering on the correct day.
I would prefer EE timecards would open to the pay period to be entered versus the next pay period due to the date they are entering their hours. Many people end up entering their hours in the upcoming time card versus the time card and time period still to be processed.
Improvements to adding Group Term Life income at the end of the year could also be a suggestion.

Some reports need to be enhanced utilizing the Department data they have recently added. It needs to be an option on which one sort on. Anniversary reports have difficulty calculating total time for EE who had a break in service.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Price and difficulty in processing a payroll

ADP Workforce Now

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Price and salesman was not responsive to questions.
Gandalf

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

Great for tight budgets

Overall, Patriot has been a great tool and it freed me from the clutches of Intuit, maker of Quickbooks. I spend a fraction of what I used to pay Intuit and I get more features with better customer service.

I also looked at Gusto and Paychex, but Patriot was the cheapest option with the most features, hands down.

Pros

I signed up as a Partner and got 50% discount off the retail rates. I like that the full service payroll handles all the tax remittances and reporting. Plus, I generated W-2s with the click of a button.

Cons

My biggest disappointment was the 4 day lead time on Direct Deposit. We typically set up pay periods to end on Saturday, so we had to run payroll on Monday in order to make direct deposit show up on Friday. That left no cushion of time and a holiday pushed the direct deposit back to the following Monday!

The "solution" was to Prefund the Payroll by giving Patriot a "Deposit" that they used for each payroll and then "refilled" to the set amount. Luckily, this worked for my some of my clients, but many of them can't afford to tie up that much cash. This may be a deal breaker for some companies.

Gusto and Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Intuit has terrible service, terrible business practices, and fewer features. It was a no-brainer!

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

It was cheaper and had more features. Easy decision.
Carol

Reviewed on 17/10/2022

I'm quite satisfied with Patriot Payroll

All in all, I appreciate Patriot Payroll. It's very fast to run, provides a summary that contains nearly all the information I need in one place, provides a PDF file that reflects pay stubs, by employee and it's all quite straightforward and fast. Journal entries are easy to construct with the information given for summary entry into General Ledger. And I do not have to pay by the year which is one of the reasons I switched from another software.

Pros

Patriot was a breeze to set up, even mid-year and mid-quarter. Payroll is very easy to run and because my clients don't feel comfortable giving access to their bank accounts, I simply provide a PDF of their check stubs for the given week and they write the checks, it works quite well. I am in a different state than my clients but we work by mail and email so PDF files are fine. I have one client that I also use a different General Ledger Accounting software for and I simply journal in the Patriot payroll in journal form at the end of each month. I can break down the detail as much or as little as I need.

Cons

State of California requires a breakdown per quarter of how much each employee was paid and how much tax they paid for State Taxes. This is a little more difficult to put together as there is no report labeled State payroll. Possibly it is there I just haven't found it specifically, but it is always the most challenging part of the quarterly payroll tax process. I would also like it if child support and Cal Savers could be on the same report as payroll tax deductions. If I had more employees it would be a bigger problem for me.

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

I thought the continually rising cost to use QuickBooks for the small number of employees was too much. Additionally, QB requires a yearly fee and sometimes a monthly fee as well. I just didn't like the feeling that I had no options but to continue to pay high prices. Because I live in a rural area I have limited internet access so a hot spot, on metered usage is a must. Thus I need to keep as much on desktop as possible.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Patriot Payroll was competitively prices compared to Quickbooks. They were willing to charge monthly rather than yearly. Quickbooks had begun to demand more control and higher prices.
timothy
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 11/03/2020

Extremely easy to use - Excellent US-based support

Pros

I absolutely love how responsive Patriot's support is and it's US-based, which is a huge plus because of alternative language barriers or time zone issues. They offer phone, email and/or chat support with low to no wait times. I love how self-explanatory things are - it's easy to 'find' what you're trying to do in most cases, without enlisting the help of Support. Definitely saves me time and money versus using an overpriced and under-delivering PEO, that's for sure.

Cons

Patriot does not yet offer the ability to break employees out by department, which is particularly useful for reporting purposes, when entering info into accounting software such as QBO, etc. While I'm told they're working on this functionality, it's been 9 months since I was told this and am still not hearing updates on progress in rolling this out. But we have since come up with a feasible workaround and realize no single solution will do 100% of what you're needing, in almost any case. So it's not impacting our workflow in an overall negative way, it'd just be nice to have this when it rolls out.

Gusto

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Overpriced PEO services didn't fit our model anymore. We can easily run payroll and manage HR functions in-house, with Patriot.

Price and support
Karen
  • Industry: Medical Practice
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

Best Business Decision!

EXCELLENT COMPANY! I LOVE this company! I only wish other businesses were as easy and user friendly as Patriot!

Pros

I do not have a business degree but I have my own medical practice. I used other companies for payroll and they repeated made mistakes and were expensive. I switched to Patriot 2 years ago and have been so happy about my choice! The staff was very helpful getting set up and once I was set up, it is so easy to use! I would never return to the big companies! I recommend Patriot to all of my colleagues!

Cons

The ONLY con is that it takes 5 business days to get the payroll done, so if there is a holiday and we forget it falls in the middle of the week, I end up having to hand write the payroll instead of direct deposit.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Awful customer service and poor product- and always trying to sell me MORE poor product!

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

It was straightforward, very affordable, and easy to use!
Lucille

Reviewed on 22/07/2022

Accurate, easy to use software and full of features

Working with Patriot software has been easy and worry free over the past years. The tax payments are made timely and are accurate. Customer service is available to speak with via telephone which is a major plus.

Pros

Ease of use and the features the software provides

Cons

As a full-service payroll subscriber there is no way to run a Form 941 without producing the entire quarterly tax report package. The workers compensation companies only want Form 941, so therefore I must use pdf software to extract this from from the package to submit.

Gusto, SurePayroll and Equip

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Patriot software provided better reporting and more features. In addition the software is online so I an access it from anywhere to process my client's payroll

Payroll Mate

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

I chose Patriot software over others because of it's price, features and live customer service options.
Craig

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Basic Payroll for Small Business

For small business, it's a great value. We are Full Service Payroll customers so I can't speak on partial service. I understand there is some manual effort on your part if you take the partial service option. My CPA was amazed that Patriot does Full Service payroll for what they charge. Like the Accounting Software, it's pretty basic compared to Quickbooks but if you only have a a few employees it's not a big deal. I also like that if you have a payroll question on "Why is this happening" they can answer it. Sometimes the answer goes beyond the functionality of the software and that's ok that their team will do that. Customer Service is excellent. Highly recommend Patriot.

Pros

The full service payroll is totally "hands off". They do everything, including filing reports. For the price it's a bargain. I can run Payroll in less than 5 minutes. The Wizard works well. If you make a mistake, delete the run and start over. Software is highly Available, as it is in AWS as I understand. Have never had an unplanned outage. If you are looking at the Payroll, consider the Accounting package also as the integration is totally seamless.

Cons

The reports can be confusing, but that's not an issue with the software, it's because I'm not an accountant. YTD reporting could be a little better.

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Mainly cost. It's no frills software but it gets the job done for us.
Terri

Reviewed on 14/01/2023

Excellent software for payroll services

Customer service is helpful and has been great! Love not having to process all Q and YE reports and W-2s. The W-2s are ready right away which our clients love!

Pros

Very easy and user friendly. Love not having to process all Q and YE reports and W-2s. The W-2s are ready right away which our clients love!

Cons

That it does not integrate with QB so we manually need to do JE. The time tracking is cumbersome with accruals for time off.

SurePayroll

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Ease of filing Q and YE and W-2s. Has employee portals and employer portals for access.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Cost

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

Best support you could ask for

I am so pleased with Patriot. I am very happy that I moved my practice from SAGE to Patriot and I try to tell anyone who will listen that Patriot is a superb product

Pros

The software is very user friendly. but in the even that there is an issue, I have reached out to customer support and received EXCELLENT support anytime it is needed

Cons

There are a few quirks that you have to learn but nothing major. And the setup process can be a little stressful at times

Gusto and QuickBooks Online

Reasons for Choosing Patriot Payroll

Sage was extremely too glitchy....I need a program that will work on time, every time. Sage is a very undependable program

Sage Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Patriot Payroll

Pricing was a large part of it as I have several clients and hope to grow everyday. But in the end, the support and assistance that was provided by [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was great. Dealing with these two guys lets me know that I am in good hands and if I have any kind of issue, I reach out to them, and they will take care of me. That kind of support is priceless.
Dan
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 5/01/2021

Solid Tool, Some Shortcomings

Performing the payroll function is the easiest and best function. It has been simple to learn overall (with a few exceptions). Those items I had issues with the support team was great in assisting me directly (usually the chat function).

Pros

Ease of performing payroll functions that are beyond my capabilities. Enter all the data and it runs appropriately, collects the taxes, and keeps us legal and current on tax liabilities. These are all functions that would take significantly more time to accomplish without Patriot (and I would be uncertain if they were done correctly).

Cons

Several of the tools are difficult to use/understand how best to use such as the PTO/holiday accrual system, paycheck withdrawals, etc. I did figure out how to use them, but once I did, there were "orphan rules" I no longer needed/wanted and no way to delete them (and no way to make them do what I needed, which is why they were abandoned).
The other issue I have had is the way PTO works (rules are limited and I need to make too many manual adjustments). Also, the turnover from 2020 to 2021 was challenging. I had to complete payroll yesterday (1/4/21) before COB and the Patriot Software had a glitch (per my conversation with one of the Patriot representatives) and we were not the only affected company. I did manage to push payroll through, but rather than 30 - 40 minutes running payroll, I spent most of the day. Fixing issues, answering employee questions, etc.
On the timecard, I would like to be able to simply and easily enter 100 or more charging categories for projects. I'm looking for a new solution because there isn't really a simple way to administer that type of requirement in the timecard system

Reviewed on 25/03/2022

The Pros And Cons Of Patriot Payroll: Everything You Need To Know.

Overall, I have had a positive experience with Patriot Payroll. The staff is friendly and helpful, and they always answer my questions in a timely manner. I appreciate the fact that they offer both online and offline payroll services, which makes it easy for me to stay compliant with the IRS. I would definitely recommend their services to other small businesses.

Pros

There are many things that we like about Patriot Payroll. First, they offer a variety of services that cater to our needs. Second, their customer service is excellent. We always receive prompt responses to our questions, and their representatives are always willing to help. Third, their prices are very reasonable, and they offer a variety of payment options. Finally, their software is easy to use and very reliable. We never have any problems with it, and it makes processing payroll a breeze.

Cons

There are a few things that I didn't like about Patriot Payroll. First, their customer service is not the best. It can be very difficult to get in touch with someone who can help you, and when you do, they often don't have the answers to your questions. Second, their website is not very user-friendly. It can be hard to find what you're looking for, and the layout is not very intuitive. Finally, their prices are a bit high compared to other payroll providers.

Richard

Reviewed on 17/02/2022

Best Overall Payroll Experience I've had in 40 years

Patriot's team members were invaluable in cleaning up the horrible mess created by 1800Accountants who repeatedly filed erroneous 941s after I fired them. For over a year I had numerous letters and calls with the IRS trying to explain that 1800Accountants was sending incorrect 941s with zero dollar amounts. Patriot had to file many amended reports.

Pros

The software is easy to use and the value for the dollar is the best part for me. I had a C Corporation with many employees for 35 years and now I have an LLC. The customer service people are the best part - professional, friendly and efficient.

Cons

I really have no complaints. Years ago I was developer of commercial software for IBM with extremely high standards for user interface and user experience. If I studied the usability I probably would make some suggestions about the user experience and what I call "intuitively obvious' user interface but nothing that I consider show stoppers.

Vanessa

Reviewed on 8/06/2021

Words from a professional user

My overall experience with Patriot software has been great.

Pros

When I joined Patriot as an affinity partner, the software discounts were too good to ignore, especially from a company who offered equal functionality as other top providers in the market. My favorite feature about Patriot Software is the 100% automated payroll tax filing and payments. Other software companies that I have used claimed full automation, but there would inevitably end up being at least one or two tasks that had to be completed manually, which was frustrating. Patriot lived up to and continues to satisfy its promise.

Cons

My least favorite thing about Patriot software is that credit card accounts have to be set up as negative asset accounts versus liabilities, as Patriot (at least at the time of my first company's onboarding) did not accommodate positive liabilities.

Scott

Reviewed on 8/01/2021

Payroll is best

Just finished our first year and have been really happy we made the change. Growing this portion of our business and we feel like we have a strong ally working with us.

Pros

Easy to use and set up. Customer service has been outstanding, we can get quick response to questions.

Cons

Some of the reports are a bit lacking. Minnesota need to file new hire reports, would be great if we could generate direct. Correcting or changing payroll in process need to cancel out, wish option was available to dial into tax to make changes.

Gusto

Pricing and customer service

QuickBooks Online

Reviewed on 13/01/2021

Saves so much time and has proved critical in 2020.

The software itself has worked flawlessly from my perspective. It's been nice saving a lot of time since we started using it at the start of 2020. The direct deposit feature is something we didn't have before, and that's been really nice.

Pros

We love being able to use direct deposit for our employees. Saves me time writing checks, and employees like it better. In 2020, it was so helpful having things automated for purposes of PPP loan forgiveness. It probably saved me 5-10 hours of work that would have had to be done otherwise. Also, the ease of generating W2s for 2020 was a great help. I no longer need to spend money on W2 forms and software every January. It is well worth the monthly fees, in my opinion.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons. I guess the only con would be having to pay for it monthly, but it is well worth the fees, and really I feel like it's a good value. I guess the only thing I would like to see is an easy way to show how many employees we had at any given pay period (for filing the 940 forms quarterly). I haven't seen how to do that in the reports section, so I just have to manually check the books and see how many checks I wrote for employees on any given pay period.