About BQE Core Suite

People and projects are the core of your professional service firm. That’s why BQE Software created BQE CORE, an intuitive professional services automation solution that gives you complete visibility and control over projects,...

Browse BQE Core Suite Reviews

Jill A. Jill A.

Reviewed on 9/12/2019

Robust Software Program

Tech support is the best I've ever experienced. Very knowledgeable and helpful. Just wish I didn't have to call them so much.

Pros

There were a lot of interfaces to this software. It did everything we needed, but not everybody was on board with the difficult of use.

Cons

It was probably way more than a company of our size needed. We are switching to Squava after just a year and a half. We felt like a beta tester of this software. Our project managers thought it was hard to use, and didn't feel our data was always accurately depicted.

Laura C. Laura C.

Reviewed on 23/04/2021

it’s truly changed how we operate as a business

We have only been using the software since September 1st. Previously we were using Excel for project management, timesheets, and AR invoicing. In addition, we were using Word and Excel to generate manual invoices (then converting to PDF). Not only has the billing process been improved, but we have been able to implement Internal Financial Controls. We purchased the HR and Accounting modules a couple of months ago and are in the process of implementing our own HR templates. We are looking forward to automating the HR process. It’s truly changed how we operate as a business and made us ten times more efficient in so many different ways.

Pros

The call-in support is always available.
The billing module & templates. It is easy to generate invoices.
The batch update feature.
Uploading documents in various modules.
View of information projects are restricted to authorized personnel.
Ability to sort and filter various screens.
How CORE will remember where you left off if you leave a screen or log-out (same filters, etc.).

Cons

Core can use these improvements:

3. What improvements would you like to see in Core
• An Accounts Payable Widget that shows open invoices that are due within a customized time frame.
• A tracking method for professional continuing education requirements.
• Enabling dependency between phases (not just within phase).
• Download GANNT chart into Excel that looks like the chart (not just a list).
• Being able to modify draft invoices without having to delete and start over.
• Vendors – tracking COI’s w/60-day advance reminders.
• AP checks to include invoice number (not the bill number).
• In the project structure, a separate tool to move a phase up or down (rather than the grab and drop).
• The AR invoices to automatically sort to open status only (not all invoices).
• The ability to hide or delete built-in accounts in the Chart of Accounts.
• Custom HR forms that can be sent to employees and electronically signed.
• In billing, projects that are in complete or cancelled status, it will not show up in the drop-down menu when creating batch invoice.

Christine S. Christine S.

Reviewed on 7/05/2019

Existing User

We've had our ups and downs. After a couple of days on the phone with customer support, things have been clarified and settled. I understand some of my problems now and how to fix them. It is really the first time I have felt comfortable with my choice in software. As I learn new things, play with it more and talk with customer support things that I thought might be deal burners, are really not. We all need to accept change, and for me as a former development programmer, I am used to it. I was not that into our existing software that we are replacing as I only had to deal with it for a year as I am kind of the new employee. Yes, I looked at several different software options. Yes, some had more features than others, some less. It is going to be pretty difficult to find a replacement software that is exactly like the one you are replacing. My original review stated there were a lot of bugs. I'm not so sure about that statement any longer. For me, it works better through Crome than Edge. I did have quite a few issues when running in Edge. This may be a problem that has since been fixed, but I'm okay in chrome.

Pros

I have had more time with the software since my last review. As I slowly convert the firms old data to this new software, things are falling into place quickly. I'm becoming attuned to the software. Learning little things I didn't know where there, both by playing around and talking with customer support. This software is easy to learn. Not a real big learning curve, assuming you are familiar with project management, accounting, project setup or you have people familiar with those areas. I do it all, and basically maintain everything for everyone else.

Cons

I don't have many, but if I had to pick... they are not really cons, as I hope they will expand to these later on. API with Office 365/Outlook would be a nice added bonus. For me, especially Outlook. Also API with Quickbooks desktop version. This isn't a big issue, as I hope to also phase out QB and only use that software for payroll. Which I will then have an API if I go with QB Online/payroll. I will always use QB for payroll, so I am use to doing journal entries into systems to reflect the payroll numbers. This is not a hardship for me.

Deltek Vantagepoint, Mavenlink, Wrike and Zoho Analytics

Reasons for Switching to BQE Core Suite

Zoho- (would have to interface with too many other software products) Mavenlink and Wrike, although awesome PM related software did not handle the AEC community as well as I would have liked. I currently have QB Enterprise Contractors edition, but it is for payroll only and duplicating invoices/checks from the old system at a high level for accounting purposes. This software did not, nor ever will do what I was told it could handle when I was looking to upgrade from PRO to an AEC community software. A total waste of high dollar money. Will go back to PRO or on-line for payroll only as soon as I am up and running 100% in CORE. Deltek, while they bought out WIND2, which is what I am replacing, and they covered pretty much everything in their new software options, I will not and cannot purchase a software where the company does not allow me some free demo months. If I couldn't demo and do one on one sessions with the software I was looking at and talk to techs, I wasn't interested. Deltek does not give you a free trial version and they are overpriced. Totally turned off by this company. They think they own the market in the AEC industry, and they really don't, but charge you like they do. Every software has a work around most of the time. I was determined to find one. Total Synergy...Never really gave this software a fair chance. With a walk thru demo, I was told something couldn't be done and just started looking elsewhere.

Top BQE Core Suite Alternatives

Jeff S. Jeff S.

Reviewed on 18/07/2013

As architects, we get set in our own way of doing things and never want to change. In ArchiOffice 2013 we found a product that pretty much adapts to how we do things. Sure we changed our methods a little, but for the most part it does what we want it to.

We began looking for an office management software in 2007. We realized that the old method of using a spreadsheet was making us miss lots of opportunity for reimbursements that we could have been charging clients until too late. Just recapturing these lost revenues has paid for ArchiOffice.

After 6 years, the program is so comprehensive, there are modules for everything you need in an architects office. The main points are easy; project lists, contact lists, time records, billings, and a shared calendar. But dig deeper and you get time tracking per job, project phases or tasks; time records, that at entry, keep everyone informed as to project progress; intelligent records, filling in more than you really want to know about project time expenditure; RFI logging, shop drawing logging; billings, showing cash flow and work in progress; phone call records and a shared calendar; not to mention dozens of reports, and more.

For example - when a project Architect is out, and an electrical shop drawing comes in, the office manager can look up the engineer in project info/contacts, and forward the submittal on the same day. Then, they can place a task on the architects to-do list, 7 days out, noting that it should be returned; and then also they can set another task for 10 days out, reminding them again that it should have been returned.

We use it for document management; scanning and storing the shop drawing when it is returned. Remote access from anywhere with an Internet connection makes it easy to reach information in the field. The superintendant, without his copy of a spec or shop drawing, can remotely access it thru Archioffice.

6 years of use, and we love it. All that glowing review, and yes, it does have a few flaws. The biggest is that Syncing with Outlook is nearly a waste of time. It can be done, but it requires that you run old Java, then run parallel Outlook files. We just don't even bother.

When we do have a problem, the tech support is awesome. In 2010, after a major upgrade, I think I wore out tech support for 3 months. But currently, I think I have emailed two questions in the last 3 months. Always fast and complete responses. AO2013 is mature enough of a product that problems are few and far between.

I will admit, as Architect/IT guy/Managing Partner, I use every aspect of this program - not just a few areas like most of my employees. I still look at competing programs, and haven't found one that adapts to my ways as well, or is as comprehensive.

Christine Y. Christine Y.

Reviewed on 11/07/2011

We are an environmental consulting firm operating in Canada. We were using Caseware Time before purchasing BillQuick about 3 years ago. Our previous system was inadequate because it didn't have a strong reporting capability. Caseware also did not roll over projects from previous years - a problem for us because we sometimes have long running projects.

We are currently using BillQuick 2011, and we automatically receive current updates with our priority support package. The implementation was not a smooth transition to say the least. Caseware and BillQuick were not at all compatible, and we feel we are still trying to rid ourselves of some of the demons. As a result, we are still trying to work out the kinks after all this time.

For the most part, we have had very good help from the folks at BillQuick, especially Irfan and Mario. We are still on a learning curve, and hope to have the kinks resolved before the year's end. BillQuick's pros definitely outweigh the cons, and I think that we eventually will have the system running to our satisfaction. We have not yet done a lot of employee/manager training, since we feel we need to get the system running more smoothly before we unleash them on it!

For the most part, the ease of invoicing for straightforward invoices is great. We previously compiled and sent out invoices manually. That being said, we do seem to run into most of our problems with BillQuick in the invoicing and reporting area. We do a fair amount of pre-billing in our business, and BillQuick does not really allow us to properly utilize the reporting required for this type of invoicing, in terms of WIP and over/under contract amounts. For example, when we pre-bill, we would like to see a negative amount reflected in the WIP and then, as time is added, have that WIP eventually even out and possibly go into the positive. We have tried in the past to work with negative WIP, and it has not gone well with the reporting functionality, especially in terms of WIP reconciliation.

The other issue we seem to have arises when we use the "Mark as Billed" feature. What good is this feature if you cannot associate a bill with an invoice number? As a result of this shortcoming, our "mark as billed" invoices do not get picked up in the reporting process. When we do a manual invoice versus an hourly invoice, does the software track the non-billable time that may be in the project as well as the billable?

All in all, we feel BillQuick is a good program and has the potential to be great. We realize that we need more personalized training, and that some of our difficulties are due to our unique business needs. Thanks for all the help and support.

Stan M. Stan M.

Reviewed on 30/01/2020

Like the flexibility

I have used BQE product for many years. The product is stable and pretty straight forward to use and today after a long time I needed customer support. The response as always was excellent and the problem I was experiencing was resolved.

Pros

I like the flexibility and design of the software once I gone through the learning curve. The reports are straight forward and give me all the insightful data without customizing.

Cons

I find the billing process steps a bit awkward but I am used to them now. It is annoying to have to look for the most recent invoice under Invoice Review once the invoice is processed as final.

Mark F. Mark F.

Reviewed on 15/12/2016

BillQuick Time Bill, Project Management & Accounting

BillQuick is a sophisticated time and expense billing software. It can be customized to individual needs. I use it for my accounting practice, but don't need many of the features available with the product. It will integrate with QuickBooks, however, I prefer to use it simply to track time and expense; then use QuickBooks directly for my invoicing. The BillQuick software will produce very detailed invoices if you choose to use the program to prepare client invoices. You can customize the appearance of the invoice to give the client as much or little information you want.

Pros

Compared to other time and billing software, BillQuick is a bargain. The program allows you to set up multiple engagements for each client so you can track time and expense separately for each engagement if you so choose. Once you have everything set up, the program works very smoothly. Customer support has been very good. I like the layout of the screens and the icons that take you the various program applications. They make it very easy to move from one application to another regardless of the particular application you are in.

Cons

I am not a technical person and there is a bit of a learning curve with the product. Because it is designed to be very customizable to a wide variety of industries, there are many features you may not need. This is not a bad thing.

Jessica R. Jessica R.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 4/05/2020

Entering time is now much easier

Pros

Moving to Core has definitely helped us eliminate the manual data entry process. Prior to using Core the time entry process was not that easy and we had to enter time manually for all the employees in our old software. Another area that so far, we like in Core is the powerful invoicing. Easy time entry and invoicing feature are the best so far that we enjoy in Core. We also appreciate the excellent customer service support team. They always go above and beyond to help out.

Cons

Needs to be more user friendly. At time we did experience glitches which were rectified in a timely manner.

Christina B. Christina B.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 9/04/2020

User friendly, excellent customer service

We are loving the crisp user interface and customizable dashboards are definitely plus

Pros

After using BillQuick for more than 10 years we switched over to Core. The transition was extremely smooth. Core is an excellent product which my staff transitioned to with ease. The online tutorials were so good that staff just dove right in to working with Core with almost no support needed.

Any questions that I have as I was setting things up were quickly answered but staff who are always quick to respond, extremely knowledgeable and always friendly. I would definitely recommend Core to anyone!

Cons

Cannot say 'least' but definitely would like to see incomplete time card notification feature that we used to enjoy. I was told it is on the road-map.

Karen B. Karen B.

Reviewed on 5/10/2016

Mind blowing software! Mind blowing support!

Bennett Trenchless Engineers has been using Bill Quick for the past 5 years. It is a rich, flexible software program with excellent customer support. BQE seems to be working constantly to enrich and improve the software to meet the challenges of today's quickly changing technology. I am always impressed with the professionalism of the support staff and their willingness to patiently "walk me through" the issues and questions I have. I would recommend this program to anyone who needs a project management program with dynamic reports. There is a report for almost anything my boss asked me for. If by chance that report does not exist, BQE is willing to make a custom report for a reasonable fee.

Pros

Project managers and staff enter their own time and expenses which allows me to get my invoicing done in a short time without errors and the need to reverse and redo. There are so many reports that help our PMs manage their projects and reduce losses. The reports reveal where we stand with regard to company profitability, gross margins, staff billing, etc. Great reports to track where your company is doing well and where they can improve.

Cons

The only con I have about Bill Quick is that it is such a dynamic program that for me, the learning curve was longer than Quick Books and other software I have used. That being said, what you get once you learn what is there and how to manipulate it is well worth hanging in there and getting familiar with the reports, the different invoices, etc.

Mairi S. Mairi S.

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

BQE makes it easy to track hours, profits and productivity

Overall experience is very positive mostly dealing with the customer service

Pros

This software makes it easier to track hours on projects to better understand profits and the overall productivity of the staff. It is the people at BQE that make a huge difference. Each and everyone of them I have interacted over the years have been amazing. All of them in customer service are tremendously helpful in setting up the software for my new firm. Same was the experience when I was doing this for another company. Support engineers walked me through the process with utmost patience and that tells you they love what they do.

Cons

Would like to have pull down options for tasks so not inventing wheel every time, more intuitive setup as that is time consuming

Ed B. Ed B.

Reviewed on 27/08/2020

It has the essential features we need to manage project time and budgets

It has the essential features we need to manage project time and budgets. In general, it is a solid and reliable product. We have not had any significant problems over the course of using it

Pros

We have used it for quite a few years now and it has given us good insight into the firms overall performance on projects. We have used those results to fine tune or pricing. In general, it is a solid and reliable product. We have not had any significant problems over the course of using it. Support is very timely and accurate. Technical support team clearly knows the product well and has always helped in a timely and accurate manner.

Cons

We have not had any significant problems over the course of using it. At times the interface does require quite a few clicks to get things done.

Julie E. Julie E.

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

Core has given us ability to run comprehensive reports

Overall, having client contacts, able to track time on different projects using fee schedules and time and expense tracking is very user friendly in Core.

Pros

Core has saved us many hours to collect data from different sources and then bring it in our monthly invoices. The batch billing feature then allows us invoice several projects in one go. Our project structure requires us break projects in many phases and it is nice to see how these phases can be combines on one invoice in the batch screening. The ability to export reports into different formats and emailing reports out of the software has changed the way we used to do reporting.

Cons

It would be nice to see a company each vendor belongs to in the fee schedules

Mike M. Mike M.

Reviewed on 24/10/2016

WRK Engineers Review of BillQuick

Thanks for asking me to participate in this survey. WRK has been a BQE customer for some time, but I have been using the program for about a year and a half. I'd like to consider myself an expert in the program....but I'm nowhere near that close. My responses are below.

I did not answer the "value for the money" question above as I have not priced other programs and have no frame of reference. Sorry.

Pros

Being a database, it can store infinite information. This info can also be easily searched. Helpful us when recalling details of a project from 3-4 years ago. The Gold level support is a must (and worth it if there is an issue). The Facebook group (comprised of BQE staff and users) is an excellent resource for learning from others and receiving "after hours" support for a quick "how to". The BQE team is very enthusiastic about their products and also does a good job of providing continual education via free webinars.

Cons

There are several small items I could mention to make BillQuick more user friendly, but in reality, for as much data as it holds for us now (about 6 years worth) it does a good job of keeping track of all the pieces within the database.
I have had several items, after talking to support, that I've been told will "get on the list to be fixed". It would be nice to hear when those changes have been implemented.

Jamie H. Jamie H.
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

BQE is a fine project management tool

Pros

We use BQE for project management. The software is just fine, but the best part is the service we receive. I have had not one but many pleasant experiences of working with support. Technical support engineers are detailed, courteous and knowledgeable. They definitely exceed my expectations! Engineers take time to understand the problem, not only come up with a solution, they sometimes help to put the solution in place by logging in my computer.

Cons

Like any other software there is bit of learning curve. More robust knowledge base would definitely be helpful.

Majdi A. Majdi A.

Reviewed on 11/03/2019

Flexibility of Core made our complex billing simple

Pros

The flexibility of Core is exceptional, and their technical support is top notch.
Core has helped us manage our projects and streamline our billing process, which includes 3-tier structure. Prior to Core we use to use excel to manage our multiple database.

Cons

I hope Core is going to have the payroll module soon. This will help cut down the manual steps and use of multiple application.

Response from BQE Software

Hi Majdi,
We are thrilled with your 10/10 review in how Core has helped streamline your firms billing processes. Stay tuned for more information on your payroll request! Thank you for being part of the BQE Core family!

Replied 13/03/2019
Terry B. Terry B.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 30/09/2016

BQ is Awesome

BillQuick is the best software for multiple types of businesses. I have used this software at radio stations, architectural firms, civil engineering firms, CPA Firms, and law firms.

Once installed it is easy for employees to learn how to use the software. The desktop version also syncs with QuickBooks. The syncing with QuickBooks takes a little more training of an employee but works wonderfully and seemless.

I have personally worked with BIllQuick for about 10 years. It is very flexible for multiple types of businesses.

Pros

Flexiblility, ease of use, and the ease of learning how to use the multiple facets of the software. The technical support is responsive. When using the technical support they are not condescending or dismissive when simple solutions are asked. Both the technical staff and the sales staff are attentive to the needs of the customers.

Cons

it has got to be the integration to QuickBooks. It is easy once you learn how integration works. I'd also say that the inability to integrate the online version with QuickBooks desktop version is also a disappointment.

Chris V. Chris V.

Reviewed on 5/10/2020

We have been with BQE for many years and it is essential for our business

Pros

This software provides us essential information that is must for handling invoicing and project tracking. Prior to switching to BQE it was not possible to make important decisions as quickly as we do now. All our staff are able to access it using the browser to track time and expenses and this gives the management real-time access to project tracking handles our invoicing well within time.

Cons

BQE is good at addressing bugs or errors that we report in the software.

Tammy D. Tammy D.

Reviewed on 24/02/2017

Customer service

I was on the phone with the representative (BQE) and QuickBooks Tech Support for several hours today. I was extremely frustrated as we weren't finding a solution to my syncing my invoices to QuickBooks. After much frustration, we let QuickBooks hang up from the GoTo Meeting as well as the conference call with BQE and myself. The representative assured me he would help me and he did. While I had to put him on hold for a moment, he was able to find the problem and resolve it! I am so happy and now I don't have to go the weekend worrying about how my invoices next week are going to sync. Thank you so much for hanging in and helping resolve the problem!

Pam C. Pam C.

Reviewed on 26/07/2016

BillQuick is the way to go!

There are many facets that I love about BillQuick, it's hard to pick one. Its ease of use is high on my list along with price. We have been using BQ for almost 14 years, and I have seen great leaps and bounds since December 2002. An upgrade is released every year in which BQ tries to stuff as many improvements as they can, many requested by their customers. BQ is always looking for ways to improve, this software never remains static.

Cons

What I used to like the least was the difference in time zone. BillQuick is on the West Coast while we are located on the East Coast. I previously had to wait until close to noon to call Tech Support. However, they resolved this issue a few years by expanding hours to start at 6:00 a.m. PST which means I can now call for support at 9:00 a.m. No more delay! Emailing your questions is also an available option.

Response from BQE Software

Thank you for that great review, Pam!

Replied 26/07/2016
Mary G. Mary G.

Reviewed on 3/03/2021

I like how easy it is to make changes in Core

It has been good and we are excited to use this program. We are still using Quickbooks for accounting for now. The webinars have been great, the support team has been great, our trainer was great.

Pros

I like how easy it is to make changes in Core. I like the convenience of the batch update. I like how easy it is to enter time in the time card. We are still fairly new at Core. We hope that this will streamline our billing and get a more structured billing schedule.

Cons

I would like to be able to customize the invoices, late fee invoices, and retainers a little more. Not just the fonts and sizes, but also where to put things such as the due date. Personally, I think it should be in bold at the top. We just feel Sales has been a bit passive-aggressive.

Carolyn K. Carolyn K.

Reviewed on 17/02/2017

Very well thought of software

My background in finance has availed the opportunity to work with Sage ERP300, Great Plains, QuickBooks, Peachtree, Design Manager and now BillQuick. I am very fond of BillQuick and its customization features. Very well thought of software. I look forward to BillQuick providing better accounting functions than QuickBooks down the road. The support team is extremely knowledgeable and pleasant to work with. Over these years several BillQuick support engineers have assisted me as well and provided shortcut solutions that in essence create bigger issues.

Tara H. Tara H.

Reviewed on 10/03/2021

Core is very helpful

My overall experience with Core is great. I think it is more user friendly on the admin side. The app is very useful for our employees.

Pros

On the Administrative side of things, Core is very helpful. I appreciate the fact that we can upload documents with each project. This helps us keep track of proposals and purchase orders.

We are able to track proposals sent out and purchase orders coming in. The reports are very helpful as well.

Cons

I wish there was a better way to search for the last project number used and/or last client number used.

Sheila S. Sheila S.

Reviewed on 5/10/2016

Wonderful product and even more wonderful people to work with!!

My company has been using BillQuick Pro since 2008. It is an amazing product. What is extraordinary is the service from the customer & tech support teams who have helped us throughout the years to adapt and customize the product to our particular needs.

Pros

Most important to us is the ease and functionality of the product. This product is uncomplicated for our staff to use for time entry, yet it is full of all the processes and reports needed to evaluate the many aspects of our business. We appreciate the Custom Reports Department very much - we have been able to modify billing reports, invoice templates, and reports templates that allow us to get information quickly. A major Pro is the integration with QuickBooks - a major feature of BillQuick.

Chris P. Chris P.

Reviewed on 6/08/2016

BillQuick is an outstanding business partner!

Pros

The people at BillQuick always respond promptly to any questions or problems we have with just the right solution for the particular issue. I have used the product since 1999 - BillQuick presents a new version each year from input BillQuick users submit during the year - then during the year they continually update the program as needed.

Cons

BillQuick has not partnered with any of the payroll companies as yet - that would have been helpful.