About FreeAgent

FreeAgent is award-winning online accounting software designed specifically for small businesses, freelancers and their accountants and bookkeepers. Over 100,000 customers use FreeAgent to manage their business accounts – all...

Browse FreeAgent Reviews

Ben R. Ben R.

Reviewed on 11/12/2020

Affordable accounting software; good but needs a few tweaks to be great

Clients who have made the transition can be viewed on one dashboard, and makes managing client records much easier.

Pros

Very easy to onboard clients; Linking bank accounts through open banking is straightforward and facility works well; Simple user interface makes it easy for novices to use; Very good customer support; Can be had for free of you use and RBS group bank account including Mettle; On the go invoicing is nice for some business as well as the expense logger

Cons

Not as flexible as some accounting packages; a few of the facilities are still a work in progress and you need to do a workaround

Reasons for Switching to FreeAgent

The cost-free option makes it an easy sell to help clients transition to the cloud accounting world. I still use Xero and others to give clients a choice
Olajumoke O. Olajumoke O.
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 7/05/2019

My Accounting friend

Pros

I use freeagent everyday for my business and it's like the best so far. Helps to generate invoices and estimates for client, it gives an overview of your account in the first page which you can easily see at first glance. I recommend freeagent anyday anytime.

Cons

Freeagent generates number for each of the invoice or estimates which can be confusing sometimes especially if you have to delete that invoice or estimates but nevertheless it's a stress free software, it does all the work.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Olajumoke!

Thank you for being a FreeAgent user and for taking the time to share your review of FreeAgent, we really appreciate the kind words!

Replied 9/05/2019
John G. John G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 11/02/2018

An outstanding find with exemplary customer service

Pros

The ease of use combined of the platform which is exceptionally intuitive, combined with the brilliant customer service.

Cons

FreeAgent appears somewhat UK-centric, although the support is still exceptional. The banking does connect to banks in Canada and I have been able to manage harmonized sales tax in Ontario. It may have some current limitations to make it a credible better substitute for Sage, in respect of the tax nuances across different Canadian Provinces.

Top FreeAgent Alternatives

Saul M. Saul M.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 12/02/2018

Fantastic - makes my business life so much easier

Pros

Love the user interface, which is easily customisable and visually it is really appealing. Makes accounting fun!
Easy to use, once you know how to access some of the features.
I have a straightforward business in private medical practice and this software takes care of my invoicing, accounting and expenses all in one, with automatic updating of all the relevant information at your fingertips.
Both my secretary and I can access the software from anywhere, so it makes for easy team-work.
One of the best features for me is the projects section, where I can keep track of the numerous expert reports that I have on my books at any one time.

Cons

Sometimes working out how to find something, or to alter a document isn't intuitive, and I have had to refer to the website for help, which has always been useful (so far).
(NB I think the user who didn't like being referred to My Business Works is being unnecessarily unfair to this software because they had to go through a Barclays intermediary - Barclays are known for their poor service, but this is not FreeAgent...)

Toby H. Toby H.

Reviewed on 25/08/2016

Simple Accounting for UK Businesses

As a business owner with minimal accounting experience I was introduced to FreeAgent about three years ago. It has transformed our business from cumbersome spreadsheet accounts and Word invoices to a really convenient and efficient system.

Pros

Automated invoicing and accounts overview that highlight things before they become an issue. Fantastic UK based support team.

Cons

A little more expensive than some of the competitors.

Mike C. Mike C.
  • Industry: Media Production

Overall, I love FreeAgent

Pros

Integrates with my bank accounts and PayPal.
Does bookkeeping without me having to know how to do bookkeeping.
Great referral program!
Good support when I've needed it.

Cons

Reports and accounts set up is skewed to the UK market (my American CPA is used to seeing certain things set out differently).
Bank feeds can be slow to update.

Dimitrios L. Dimitrios L.

Reviewed on 8/02/2018

Essential for sole trader's accounting

Pros

One of the things that scared me about going freelance, was the accounting and book-keeping part this entails. After researching similar web-based solutions, I decided upon subscribing to Freeagent. I wouldn't be able to run my business without it. Everything I need, from invoicing and clients database, to expense filing and completing my self-assessment is there, easy to use and access. When I needed some help or clarifications about something, the staff were prompt and eager to help me and made sure my issues were resolved in any case. Highly recommended software & service!

Cons

I find that the mobile app has limited functionality compared to the desktop site. I would like the same level of editability when it comes to the handling of bank transactions, as I have via my internet browser.

Zara I. Zara I.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Keeping Track Of My Finances

Pros

It is really easy to use and the data is displayed in a useful format

Cons

The one downside is that it doesn't pull in the USD transactions from Paypal and this has to be done manually.

Xero
  • Industry: Automotive
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 4/04/2018

Took the worst part of owning a business and made it almost fun

Pros

The end to end connectivity. Booking time spent with a client turns into an invoice turns into a payment at the bank - and all this is tracked. What used to take hours in excel is all at a glance in FreeAgent.

Cons

I wish that there was a way to use their time tracking module as a separate product. I no longer run a business but would love to use their time tracker with my team at the larger org I now work for.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi there,

Thank you for sharing your review, we really appreciate it. It was great to hear which FreeAgent features you found most helpful. I've also passed along your time tracking module feedback to our product team.

Thanks again!

Replied 10/04/2018
Jamie M. Jamie M.

Reviewed on 27/03/2018

The perfect accounting software for freelancers

Pros

It's an incredibly easy to use all-in-one accounting solution that's built for freelancers, all the way up to large businesses. Creating and managing invoices is very easy and you can even sync it up to your bank account. Whilst many of the more advanced accounting features go unused by myself I can clearly see the value in them for others.

Cons

It's not the cheapest solution if you're just creating a few invoices each month but for any typical independent professional it's a great solution. I can't think of any real cons to this product.

Jahiezer I. Jahiezer I.

Reviewed on 18/06/2018

one of the best to accounting software in the market

Pros

Functional and a UI really nice design. Good pricing, it's one of the best investment for a freelancer who have some time working. This app really help me in may freelance career

Cons

some times it's difficult to go into some tools. you cant import all the info you want to into this app. No have a computer app, you must have to go into the navigator or your cell phone

Anil J. Anil J.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 7/07/2018

Advanced and easy to use online accounting software.

Pros

You can effectively manage and keep a track of your invoices, expenses and calculate your profits in one place. For each account, there are no such limits on the number of users allowed to access an account. Round the clock customer service and support system are provided. The application is integrated with payroll functionalities. You can contact their accounting experts if you encounter any issues. You can check out the thirty-day trial version, then move on to the paid version, they don’t charge any setup fee.

Cons

It is difficult to export information (if you need it in the CSV format). Expensive when compared to other accounting solutions.

Denise S. Denise S.

Reviewed on 23/03/2018

Easily halved my time spent on bookkeeping and accounting

Pros

I've worked with accounting software before so it didn't need much time to set up. I also like how everything is linked – contacts to invoices to banking feed... lots of the features are automised so you don't have to do everything twice and the system learns and adapts to your set up, e.g. it starts guessing the categories for expenses and other items in your banking feed.

Cons

It doesn't come cheap which for a freelancer is perhaps the biggest hurdle. But it is good value for money.

Victoria C. Victoria C.

Reviewed on 8/08/2020

This software makes my accounts seem a lot less scary

I loved how the customer service was a real person, not a bot. They have made me feel comfortable about accountancy.

Pros

For me, the general look of the overview screen makes the experience of looking at my accounts a lot less scary. I also find that the whole thing is easy to use, from reconciling my bank accounts to sending out invoices. Plus they actually sort your taxes out (this might only be in the UK though)!

Cons

I am probably not using as much of the software as I could. (e.g. payroll and time tracking) but I'm just proud that they've convinced me how simple and professional it is to use them for invoicing.

Rebecca D. Rebecca D.
  • Industry: Executive Office

Reviewed on 1/02/2017

Great software

I've been using free agent for invoicing and accounts for a client of mine and it is so easy and intuitive. When you do get stuck their customer service team are available and ready to help.

Pros

Easy to use and efficient.

Cons

Some of the entry and location of contacts could be smoother.

Lynne H. Lynne H.

Reviewed on 8/02/2018

Very good product for a small business

Pros

Easy to use with a good range of functions and fantastic customer support. Regularly updating with new features. Weekly emails with tips are helpful too. Excellent tax reporting features.

Cons

Bill feature is limited. Often I want to split an invoice between multiple ledger codes so I have to create it twice.

Stanisa K. Stanisa K.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 9/01/2019

If you're running a small business, you need this!

I love using FreeAgent for my business and it really is a necessity.

Pros

It's amazing accounting software and it's cheap as well. It does all for you, you don't have to have some great knowledge for it to use. I love it.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about it.

Response from FreeAgent Central

Hi Stanisa,

Replied 18/01/2019

Nick G. Nick G.

Reviewed on 12/10/2016

Mayur T. Mayur T.

Reviewed on 13/08/2018

Could the role of a bookkeeper and an accountant in a better way.

Pros

The API extension is very useful. Through this application, the job of payment and expenses are easier. Since Payroll is available, it is possible to handle all types of invoices. The android application is also very good in its functionality. They give a crisp background on every transaction that is being processed. Also, this application could prove to be more useful to small business groups.

Cons

It is a very expensive software compared to other similar software. The customer support team does not cooperate well with the users. They tend to complicate the troubles of the users. Also, they do not work 24/7.

Scott J. Scott J.

Reviewed on 19/01/2015

A Fun to Use Accounting App

Sounds like an Oxymoron doesn't it, Accounts & Fun.
FreeAgent is just that, fun to use, easy to understand and fast.
It has everything you need, links to your bank, multi-currency, great invoicing templates I could go on & on, but it's best feature is the top notch world beating support, they understand business, and are quick and willing to help.
Highly Recommend.

Pros

It's Fun to Use.
It's easy to Use.
Great dashboard gives up to date snapshot of the business

Cons

Definitely not a Con. :-)

Response from FreeAgent UK online accounting software

Thanks, that's very kind of you!

Replied 29/06/2015
Colin H. Colin H.

Reviewed on 8/11/2010

FreeAgent saved us so much time

Really well thought through product. Designed with small businesses in mind rather than just trained accountants!

Pros

Quick to understand
Nice dashboard. Quite motivating to see that invoice timeline!
VAT returns are so much easier.
All of our team can use it.

Cons

Very little, would like projects to work slightly better, and be able to add projects on the fly. And automatic bank feeds which are coming soon will be great.

It would be nice to generate invoices and bill part of them up front.

Sarah K. Sarah K.