Harbortouch POS Reviews

About Harbortouch POS

Harbortouch is a restaurant POS system designed to help small and midsize businesses manage inventory, promotions and employees on a centralized dashboard. The platform enables administrators to gain insights into sales reports...

1.4
1.6

Browse Harbortouch POS Reviews

Heather

Reviewed on 6/03/2020

Better Servers

Prior to inventory I know what was sold and have a clear idea of exactly what I should have. Expressing this in team meeting has slowly brought the matching closer and closer..meaning less alcohol theft by staff.

Pros

Ordering tableside is great, no more going back and forth bother guests because a server has a MOD question. No one looks incompetent and as a business we look on point and there is no concern from guests out food quality is also a question.

Cons

It made me as a manager look bad!! The staff I wondered about anf seemed to have the most problems with were great on paper. Following sales and percentages I saw that a server I thought was ditzy and annoying but needed...had consistently the highest alcohol and wine sales across the board. I could see who was selling what, when and how they affected bottom line. Then I could coach servers on selling points, it's also a way to teach more about our products. I guess that's the least thing.!!

Reviewed on 24/07/2017

Terrible POS - very poor customer service

NONE!

Pros

NONE! There is nothing about this system that is acceptable. They update in the middle of the day!, system always crashes, very poor customer service,

Cons

We have had the Harbortouch POS system for over two (2) years. We regrettably signed a three (3) year contract. Since day 1, we have had nothing but trouble. The system can go off line numerous times, or freeze up, throughout the day, generally when customers are waiting. This is extremely bothersome when you are trying to charge a credit card. Added to this, is that this company has one to the poorest customer service I've had the displeasure of dealing with. Today, our system went down three times during sales, with the last time the POS froze up. One was with a credit card purchase, thankfully the customer was very understanding and used cash instead. Once again we had to call customer service (which is poor) and once again we were put on hold for over 35 minutes. At first, the customer service rep said to just turn off the system, and turn back on -- rebooting ---- informed him that has already been done, then he put us on hold again. He returned to tell us that 'yes' there is 'something' wrong with their system, they are working on it, and it should be around an hour or so. When asked about credit card sales, his response was that we could always call the credit card company! Unacceptable when you are running a restaurant and the customers are waiting to pay. Customer Services' attitude appears to be that 'we have you under contract... hahaha. I know another merchant who also has Harbortouch, and has the same problems and complaints. This is a "POS - POS"

matt

Reviewed on 8/04/2019

STAY AWAY

I have made a few big mistakes in running my business over the years.
Among the top 2 are getting involved with harbortouch.
I was told by the salesman that there was a three year commitment.
During that three years I experienced a multitude of issues, and paid over 5% total for my "free" system.
the first red flag was that I went into it with some concerns, but was told there was a 30 day period that I could return the system.
A couple weeks in, when I called with some concern over the operations, I was told that the 30 day period was up, because it started the day the order was placed, and NOT the day it arrived two weeks later. That was the first indication that they were operating in bad faith.
for the next few months every time they did a system update, it took place at noon. that was a busy tie for me, and the system shut down completely for 30 minutes or longer. Customers who couldn't pay just left.
I called every time this happened of course, and got zero response. No consideration for the fact that they were costing me revenues.
There are many flaws in the system. The pool on employees contained all the staff that was ever employed, with no way to clear out all but the current employees, making it difficult or impossible to use. They could not calculate the hours for the staff.
the daily reports had the credit line and the cash income line in random order day to day. Gift cards were treated as income when sold, and were treated as income when redeemed, so there w

Pros

Nothing.
The screen has no ability to modify the placement or order of buttons.
constant updates occurred during open hours, locking the system up for 30 minutes.
the reports put different categories of revenue in a different order each day, randomly.

Cons

there was very little in the way of reports to track sales.
couldn't track daily sales to compare from year to year, or track which hours had high or low sales.
labor was the worst.
once an employee was in the system, they were always in the way, with no way to change their status o inactive to get them off the screen.
Sales of gift cards were considered revenue, redeeming gift cards were considered revenue, so you paid income tax on the same income twice.
and the gift cards were expensive, of course.

Top Harbortouch POS Alternatives

Square Virtual Terminal

Heartland Payment Processing

Mandy

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

Liars & Thieves

I’d rather step on legos barefooted for 10 miles than use this company again.

Pros

We’ve been with this company for 4 years. Only having signed a 3 year contract.
Due to covid, we had to move our store and severely downsize to be able to keep our doors open. This meant getting rid of the 2 POS systems we had with Harbourtouch and going with something cheaper.
When we called to let them know to cancel, we were told it’ll be taken care of. Well, wouldn’t you know it, the contract wasn’t canceled and they kept charging. They then tried to tell us, we automatically renew for a year if we don’t call at the 3 year mark. Which is a lie and shady business.
That was 4 months ago. Three of which, we received some sort of charge.
We have been told for well over a month that they’ll give us back the funds they stole. We’ve lawyered up and will see how it goes.
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!
They’ll lie and steal from you.

Cons

It crashes. Constantly. Be prepared to deal with loss of sakes and upset customers.

Response from Shift4

Mandy,

First and foremost, we would like to sincerely apologize for the difficulties you have faced during COVID and with closing your Harbortouch account. We were able to locate your account in our system and it appears that the refunds you were inquiring about have been successfully processed. Please allow 3-5 days for the refund to be issued. If there is anything you need in the interim, please email [email protected] and one of our team members will get back to you as soon as possible.

Replied 6/11/2020
Wendy

Reviewed on 3/07/2020

72 hours takes on a whole new meaning with them

They have a basic reporting system. Very inefficient for any type of inventory control. Their customer service was okay - they have been fortunate to hire good people but their terms and contracts are deceptive and not industry standard.

Pros

It was easy to install and the customer service reps I dealt with over the years were mostly all helpful and friendly

Cons

As we grew, this system no longer met our needs. As per the contract, I called on the day I was told to call to cancel the commitment. That was 7 days ago and I still have not received the neccessary paperwork. I was initially I would receive them in 72 hours. When I called to inquire where the documents were, they said it was 72 "BUSINESS HOURS". In other words, 9 DAYS!!. and they are continuing to charge me in the interim.
I am still waiting for my documents. They don't have fine print.. it is miniscule, so buyer BEWARE! I have terminated other merchant accounts before but by far they have been the least transparent and the most difficult to deal with

Square Virtual Terminal

Reasons for Switching to Harbortouch POS

I thought it would help with inventory
Matt
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

DON'T DO IT!!! Terrible...

I inherited this system when I bought the company. From the very beginning, it was bad...but I didn't want to mess with getting a new merchant account. But after spending a year with the system we just couldn't work with it anymore. So, after being completely dissatisfied...I called to cancel the agreement. They informed me that I'm in some contract and I have another year (it just renewed 3 days ago). Which is complete BS...I inherited this agreement. It costs them nothing to turn the system off...we didn't eve lease our equipment...it's ours. So, they are now forcing me to stay in some BS agreement? Ok...we'll see.

Pros

Nothing. We got the money that we processed through them...so, that's the only positive.

Cons

Their reporting is terrible. Very difficult to reconcile with transactions when doing bookkeeping. Their customer service is the worst. Long hold times. It's like they are stuck in the 1990s w/ their technology. It takes 2 business days for the funds to hit your account. My new merchant account deposits everything the next day.

Response from Shift4

Matt,

We would like to first extend our sincerest apologies for the troubles you've faced during your time as a Harbortouch customer. We work tirelessly to constantly improve our technology in order to provide our customers with the best equipment and service possible, so we are disheartened to learn about your negative experience with your POS system. After looking into your account, it appears that one of our support team members has already reached out and left a voicemail with information on next steps to cancel. If there is anything we can do to further assist you, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at [email protected], and we will work to resolve this issue.

Replied 6/11/2020
Joseph

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Beware

The first month we had the system, the company had an internal glitch and lost about 450 individual transactions worth about 16k. It took a while to figure out what was going on. After about three weeks they had to manually re-enter all of those transactions. Most people seeing the transactions on their account called wondering why they were being charged others just disputed the charges. Then they realized they hadn't entered the the hundreds of dollars in tips so added those separately. It was a nightmare and they took no responsibility. I needed to write a letter to a VP or someone and got a nominal compensation for the damage that was done to my brand. I recently changed to Toast and have had a hell of a time getting out of this company's clutches. They are incredibly difficult to deal with in the break up process. Just don't get involved with them to start with.

Pros

The software worked well. The people at tech support were wonderful.

Cons

The system itself was pretty easy to use.

Response from Shift4

Joseph,

We would like to first extend our sincerest apologies for the troubles you've experienced during your time as a Harbortouch customer, and we are sorry to see you go. If you would like, please feel free to email us at [email protected] so we can better understand how your merchant experience could have been improved and resolve any outstanding issues there may be.

Replied 24/02/2021
Christopher

Reviewed on 27/09/2021

Cancellation made hard

Their system for cancelling is awful. Look at the other reviews about this.

Pros

The service was adequate for the last 9 years. The only rather strange thing I found was that the monthly statements they send have information, name and contact phone number, from a different service on it. I had to remember not to call the number on the statement if I had any questions.

Cons

Harbortouch refuses to allow their services to be cancelled other than on an annual basis. They claim that information is out there somewhere, but it is not evident at all. If the date is missed, then Harbortouch will charge you monthly service fees for the full year, even if you aren't using their services. Apparently even 9 years of usage doesn't get you a break. If my business ever needs to use credit cards again, it will not be through Harbortouch. It's a shame, as up until the cancellation attempts, I wouldn't have had any reason not to go back to them.

Response from Shift4

Christopher,

We sincerely apologize for the troubles you have experienced with closing your account. We would like the opportunity to speak with you to better understand your concerns and work with you to resolve them. If you'd like to discuss this further, please send your Merchant ID number as well as your contact information to [email protected] so we can review your account and try to resolve this issue.

Replied 3/11/2021
Dan

Reviewed on 4/12/2019

You lose more than you win

Awful

Pros

It is cheap,

Cons

The layout, theme, support, any sort of extra integration you may need (Website, online ordering platforms) forget about it, slow running, wastes a tremendous amount of paper.

Response from Shift4

Dan,

We are saddened to hear that you are more than dissatisfied with your Harbortouch POS system and apologize for your negative experience. We work hard to develop user-friendly products that deliver exponential value to our customers. We would like the opportunity to understand more of your concerns and work together to determine a solution that will work well for your business. At your convenience, please send an email to [email protected] with your Merchant ID number and best contact number. Once we have this information, someone from our management team will be able to review your account and contact you to discuss this further.

Replied 5/12/2019
Cory

Reviewed on 30/06/2017

Going with Harbortouch was the absolute worst decision I made in opening my business.

The software is complete rubbish and continues to break down a couple times per week. It doesn't even have the basic functionality needed to run a restaurant. In theory its simple to use. But with the number of times it breaks down per week, and the limited functionality, you always need a manager around to come up with workarounds when the software doesn't work or doesn't do what you need it to do.

Cons

Let me start by explaining what initially attracted me to Harbortouch: 1) Low upfront costs, 2) Salesperson told me to expect my effective rate to be about 1.8%, 3) Equipment would be under full replacement warranty for three years, 4) Customer service would be on call 24/7, 5) Salesperson told me that they would be the first company to issue an EMV solution for restaurants, and 6) they told me that they had a reservation system built in to the system.

My experience:

1) The low up-front costs turned out to be "not true". There were a lot of set-up fees, printer fees, etc that they never explained up front.
2) Four months in to operating my business, my effective rate is closer to 2.55% (not the 1.8% the Sales Rep quoted).
3) I've had two hard equipment breakdowns in the first four months. Yes, they did replace the equipment but transit and set-up time accounts to over a week. So that's two week's worth of down equipment so I've lost internal capacity and added wait times to my customers.
4) Yes, customer service is on-call 24/7. BUT, hold times to talk to someone often are over 30 minutes. I typically need their help a couple times a week because the software is complete rubbish as well. Then another 20-30 minutes or so to resolve the software problems. So I lose about 2 hours of my life per week dealing with rubbish software and their Customer Service.
5) The EMV system is no longer even on the horizon.
6) The reservation system is unusable.

Tamarra

Reviewed on 3/08/2021

Worst Experience EVER

Pros

The equipment never left the box so I'm unable to answer this.

Cons

After we hit a few delays on opening our venue Shift 4 offered to give us a deferment the last 4 months, not only did we never received deferments, the customer service was absolutely unacceptable. I've be trying to cancel and send back the equipment (that's still in the box) for the last 2 months. They continue to charge me and will not send me the cancel forms required after several phone calls. Once they made the sale it's all down hill from there. You get nothing but the runaround and they will not allow you to speak to a manager/supervisor. Frustration is not a strong enough word for what I'm feeling right now.

Response from Shift4

Tamarra,

First and foremost, we would like to apologize for the frustrations you have been experiencing with Harbortouch. We strive to provide the best quality service to our customers, so we are disheartened to hear that we missed the mark here. We would like the opportunity to review your account and see how we can come to a resolution. At your earliest convenience, please send an email to [email protected] with your Merchant ID number and contact information so we can learn more about your situation.

Replied 25/08/2021
Thomas

Reviewed on 7/06/2017

Works okay as long as you're okay with workflows from 1995.

Point of sale operation and tracking.

Pros

Overall works okay and handles medium to high volume usage. Once employees are trained they're typically good to go. Allows us to have as many users as we need. Customer support is rather helpful within the rather restricted scope of what the software can accomplish.

Cons

Most things about it. Software assumes that employees don't make mistakes and always follow company policy. More often than not when we try to accomplish something with it we have to find a way to trick it into accomplishing something similar to what we want.

For instance, company policy is that every entree must have a beverage. After calling support the only way to do this is to setup beverages as a forced choice on every item on the menu however that then means that those beverages are counted as food revenue at the end of the day.

System is obtuse about how to setup items. Items cannot be deleted so when there's a misunderstanding and there's 3 different entries for the same item on the menu, or we decide to change the layout of the dining room we cannot delete excess items or tables leading to clutter in the interface.

Andrea

Reviewed on 29/03/2019

Worst POS contract on the market

RUN away as fast as you can! So many good POS systems out there, this is NOT one of them.

Pros

We had it for 4 years, it was down more than it functioned.

Cons

They trick you with the contract, giving you a 3 year renewal for the processing fees (which you must use Harbortouch for) and a 4 year renewal on the POS operating system. If you do the math, you cannot ever get out of your contract.

Response from Shift4

Andrea, we sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you have experienced with Harbortouch. We ensure to always put our merchants first and strive to ensure they have the best merchant experience possible. We were able to locate your account in our database and someone from our management staff will review your account and be in contact with you ASAP to see how we can correct this for you.

Replied 2/04/2019
Bill

Reviewed on 16/12/2019

Harbortouch, Do not Bother.

Overall experience was not Good. Would present hidden fees all through out 3 years of contract.

Pros

It was easy to use for the most part. Good software.

Cons

The software is too pricey for a small business.

Response from Shift4

Bill,

We would first like to apologize that are unhappy with your Harbortouch service. We strive to be as transparent as possible with our customers in regards to their account, and clearly failed to do so here. We would like an opportunity to work though this with you and resolve your concerns. Someone form upper management will be on contact with you shortly to discuss. In the interim, please feel free to email [email protected] and we will be glad to help.

Replied 26/12/2019
Jill

Reviewed on 4/02/2022

Business Owner

I would highly not recommending their service every time that I called and I got different answers. I had to call in because there was multiple charges that were not advised and I did not agree to you they automatically enrolled me in another contract without my permission and I never signed for it every time I call and it’s an hour plus to get anything resolved which never anything that resolved

Pros

I didn’t like anything about the software.

Cons

I had to put everything in for the software it shouldn’t have been me that did all the work I programmed all the inventory it was told that I would have this done prior to the

Response from Shift4

Jill,

First and foremost, we sincerely apologize for the troubles you've been experiencing with Harbortouch. We would like the opportunity to speak with you directly to better understand your concerns. If you'd like to discuss this further, please send your Merchant ID number as well as your contact information to [email protected] so we can review your account and try to resolve this issue.

Replied 10/02/2022
Joshua
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 4/06/2019

Avoid Harbortouch at all cost

I have never taken the time to go out of my way to write a negative review about any company I have ever worked with. My experience with Harbortouch has led me to search out every site that does reviews. It appears that they have disabled Google reviews of their product, and I assume it would be because it would be very bad.

Pros

I purchased because of the ability to get the hardware without an upfront investment. TERRIBLE MISTAKE ON MY PART.

Cons

Customer support, product support, development. It is clear that the business model for this company is to provide a product that looks good enough to get people to sign a three-year contract. I can't imagine that they have much retention after that initial contract

Response from Shift4

Joshua,

We are disheartened to hear of your negative experience with Harbortouch and would like to sincerely apologize. We at Harbortouch strive to provide our valued customers with the best products and exceptional customer service. We would like an opportunity to make this right for you. At your convenience, please email your Merchant ID Number and best contact number to [email protected]. Someone from upper management will then be in touch with you to discuss and resolve these issues.

Replied 6/06/2019
Carlos

Reviewed on 10/05/2017

Like a car that always breaks down!!! DON'T FALL FOR IT RUN.

I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING A GOOD DEAL BUT I WAS VERY WRONG. DONT TRUST THE SALES GUYS THEY DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE SYSTEM. THEY ARE JUST VERY GOOD AT SELLING!

Pros

That my staff knows how to use it.
NOTHING ELSE IS GOOD ABOUT THIS SYSTEM.

Cons

High cc processing fees
ALWAYS BREAKS DOWN!
Online accessing for reporting is practically nonfunctioning (takes like 30 min to pull any report) super slow, for that, I rather just go to the store and print it from there.
Hassle to get any equipment replaced that breaks.
Too many other to mention

Kellie
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 5/12/2018

Worst choice you can make

Waste of money

Pros

Nothing. There is way better options out there

Cons

They rip you off with added fees. Promised me a rate reduction and never did it when I tried to cancel my account with them. Scam

Response from Shift4

Kellie, we are truly sorry for your experience with Harbortouch thus far. We would like an opportunity to re-evaluate your account and make this right for you. We were able to locate your account in our database and someone will be reaching out to you ASAP to discuss how we can resolve this issue.

Replied 5/12/2018

Reviewed on 7/02/2019

No access to your data and Customer service is beyond terrible

After install it's been TERRIBLE. Although reliable

Pros

Equipment and setup was great! the ability to duplicate items saves a ton of steps

Cons

Forget reporting it isn't happening. All I wanted was a transaction detail report for a previous month that included items. NOT happening. Call customer service and all they are doing is reading the KB articles. Ordering is not super intuitive

Response from Shift4

David, we would like to first offer our sincerest apologies for the complications you have been experiencing with your Harbortouch POS system. We would like an opportunity to have someone from out technical management team review your account and resolve these issues for you. At your earliest convenience, please send an email to [email protected] with your Merchant ID Number so we can address this as soon as possible.

Replied 19/02/2019
jessie

Reviewed on 2/08/2018

Con Artist

HORRIBLE!

Pros

NOTHING!!!!! This company is a joke, they are thieves

Cons

This company is a joke. once they get you signed up you can't leave without spending thousands of dollars. Even when it comes time when you should be able to write a simple letter to get out of the agreement they come up with some crazy reason why your letter wasn't excepted and how your contract started over. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!!!!!!!

• Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 12/03/2019

Over charged

Pros

Nothing ... Horrible customer service
Over charged

Cons

Over charged for 2.5 years and will not refund. Have to get an attorney

Response from Shift4

Hello Robert, we sincerely apologize for the negative experience you received with Harbotouch. We would like an opportunity to review your account and make this right. We were able to locate your account and someone from management will be in contact with you ASAP.

Replied 15/03/2019
Melody
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 17/06/2019

Beware of Harbortouch

The first month was great and everything happened just as the salesperson said it would. The second month was hell. They arbitrarily changed my billing from monthly to daily without telling me, deducting various amounts from our checking account without invoicing. This caused more than $600 in overdraft fees. Even after I fixed all this with the bank and stipulated to Harbourtouch what I would accept and not accept in writing, they did it again! This time it caused $210 in overdraft fees. Finally, their retention department changed my account to monthly and I have one more shot at fixing this to get more than $200 in money being held in limbo. I can't settle my register until I have money in the bank and know they aren't deducting until everything is through.

Pros

The fact that they provided a cash register too and all of it was already programmed.

Cons

They hold my money from deposits without notification. They put a 48 hour hold on my deposits, but take out their pay on that money within 24 hours. This caused significant overdrafts, which Harbortouch wouldn't help with or accept responsibility for.

Colin

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

Great service

We can track our inventory much better now, save money on processing and 24/7 support when we need it.

Pros

Easy to use, efficient and great customer service

Cons

Machine could look a little better.its not a sleek as see others look.

Response from Shift4

Colin, we are very happy that you have had a great experience with your Harbortouch POS system. If there is ever anything we can do to make you merchant experience better, please email [email protected].

Replied 28/11/2018
irfan

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

I have install on my 3 restaurant 2014 and they have cost me alot in totall loss maybe more.

learn to not trust any pos system sales man.

Pros

maybe customer service, system is not very complicated

Cons

not easy on inventory tracking, unprofessional, hard to get out, they come back and pull money out of your bank account with different names.

Ruben
Ruben
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 27/04/2018

very bad, bad

Cons

Nothing cost me lots of amount, bad product I have lots of problems, not for you unless you like having problems and have lots of money to waste.