About OpenTable

OpenTable is a cloud-based restaurant management solution that enables restaurant managers to accept online reservations and optimize seating arrangements. It is suitable for restaurants of all sizes. OpenTable is available in...

4.7

Browse OpenTable Reviews

1,037 of 1,037 reviews
Ryan

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

Great reservation booking software

Pros

It has pictures of most restaurants and a large part of their menus. The app is very simple to use and very responsive.

Cons

The points system can be a bit confusing at times

Lee

Reviewed on 17/06/2022

Super-easy to use

After lots of research, it's one of the best systems out there for restaurants. And great value for money.

Pros

This is great system to manage table bookings for a restaurant, with lots of marketing options. Once it's set up, it takes the hassle out of managing bookings and it's easy to also manually add bookings and block off tables. It's also good for CRM. And there's the option to generate reports and extract data for mailing lists.

Cons

The set up can be quote tricky, but once it's done, it's super-easy to manage.

Resy OS

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

Mainly for their pricing and marketing. More eyeballs on OpenTable than the others.

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

Needs frequent use

Pros

Ease of making reservations, but not all restaurants are included

Cons

Needs frequent use to accumulate points. With the onset of the pandemic, we stopped reservations.

Top OpenTable Alternatives

Yelp Guest Manager

tiramizoo Last Mile Master

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 19/04/2022

OpenTable – My Main Way of Making Reservations. Great Platform, But Needs More Transparency.

Overall, I love using OpenTable and it's definitely my go-to reservation platform. Whenever I need to make a reservation, OpenTable is always my first choice for a platform!

Pros

I love how easy it is to book reservations to my favorite restaurants. The UI is just beautiful, and it's so easy to navigate, see what times are available, double check the reservation I made, contact restaurants, read menus, see photos, and even change my reservation. I just love the ease of use.

Cons

I least like how, by default, way more data than I knew was being shared with restaurants and marketers. Buried in settings, I figured out how to turn these features off, but I feel like OpenTable is deceptive about how much data is really shared with their business partners, marketers, and restaurants.

Shivam
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 26/06/2022

Quick Way to Book a Table at your favorite restaurant

Overall experience has been good. I have booked several dates (dinner and lunch) using this application.

Pros

Open Table is one of the best ways to reserve a table with a click of a few buttons on the app, hassle free, no phone calls needed. The application is designed nicely to view options, help book the right restaurant, view pictures, how costly the meal will be as well as the timing of the reservation. The app also provides suggestions based on the area you are looking to dine at. Another good feature is that Open table is available nationally and internationally as well. The app also allows to read reviews from other people which helps make a more confident decision before reserving a particular restaurant. The application also allow you to place orders for the to-go/take-out option by phone call.

Cons

No real con that I have experienced so far. The recommendation will be to include as many restaurants as possible

Grace
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 23/06/2022

OpenTable Fan for Years!

I love OpenTable and will continue to use it for many years to come!

Pros

I've been an OpenTable user for many years now to book all of my dining-out reservations. It's easy and convenient to search any restaurant, view the menu and distance away from you and find available times for reservations.

My favorite feature is the points system! For each reservation, an OpenTable user will receive a certain amount of points. Those points can then be used to buy rewards including discounts on hotels, Amazon gift cards and so much more!

Cons

I have found in the past that my points have not always been given to my account based on certain reservations and that can be confusing to a user. It would be beneficial to have a clearer explanation of how the rewards system works.

Jasmine

Reviewed on 18/07/2022

OpenTable Review

Overall, I would recommend Opentable for making reservations online. It is extremely easy to use and it is not time-consuming at all.

Pros

I use OpenTable to make restaurant reservations all the time. Its ease of use is what keeps me coming back for more time and time again. I find it to be more convenient than calling the restaurant myself and being put on hold. It is a widely used application so that serves as a bonus as well.

Cons

Sometimes when you make a reservation on OpenTable and show up at the restaurant, they say they do not see that a reservation was made so I guess sometimes there is a glitch in the system, but anytime that has been the case, the restaurant still accommodates me regardless because I made the time to request a reservation in advance.

Daisy

Reviewed on 21/07/2022

OpenTable Makes Reservations A Breeze

Pros

OpenTable allows for easeful reservations to even some of the most popular restaurants in my area (South Florida). The search function makes it quick and simple to find a specific restaurant's availability, or the app also filters by features such as Outdoor Dining, Happy Hour, or even those with open reservations at the time of searching.
I've found many new restaurants through looking at OpenTable, which also lists the restaurant's menu and reviews from other users. When making reservations, you're also able to specify any special occasions or preferences for your party, as well as add contacts to the reservation.

OpenTable is a foodie's best friend!

Cons

One feature that I would like to see added is a way to be notified via mobile alert or email when a desired restaurant has reservations listed. For some of the more popular Miami restaurants, this could be an efficient way to snag hard-to-get reservations.

Megan

Reviewed on 14/07/2022

Best app for making restaurant reservations!

Best app for booking restaurant reservations and reading reviews prior to booking/going.

Pros

Easy to use/navigate; can see all available times for any amount of people, on any date/time; can read reviews and see photos of the food (my personal favorite)

Cons

really the only feature that has ever “bothered” me is that you can’t make two reservations at once - however this makes complete and total sense and just means I am forced to make a decision then and there (which is a good thing for me HAHA)

• Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 16/06/2022

A planner's best friend

Great experience with this app. Let's me plan ahead, and especially useful for vacation planning and business meal planning.

Pros

I like how the software easily let's you make selections and special requests for your party. My favorite feature is the integration w/ my calendar.

Cons

I wish more restaurants were available to book on OpenTable.

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

Halfway there, but needs help

Table reservation management is the basic goal, and attracting new patrons is also right up there. On the latter, OT is only fair. They used to be better about bringing in new people, but seem to have changed their algorithm. But it's not as bad as the money grubbers at Yelp who go out of their way to prevent people from seeing your restaurant name unless you pay them absurd amounts.

Pros

OT is a reasonably priced reservation system that is reliable and straightforward to use. It offers more extensive services for a large operation, but in its minimal form is easy for a small (35-45 seat) restaurant to use without dedicating a person to managing it.

Cons

The mobile app could be great, but isn't. There are three ways to interact: PC Web, Mobile Web, and Mobile App (Android in my case). They all have slightly different functionality, for no good reason.
- Example 1: The mobile app lets you see previous times a patron came in; mobile Web and PC Web only tell you the number, not the dates. But the mobile app doesn't give you control over scheduling and such. So you find yourself flipping among multiple devices to get your job done.
- Example 2: Mobile Web and mobile app require constant re-login. PC does not.
- Example 3: PC works reliably to see reservations, but after a period of inactivity, stops allowing interaction (such as setting a guest to "Seated"). A browser refresh is required.
Exasperating!

Kelly
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

A great reservations software for restaurants

Everything about OpenTable for Restaurants was an experience worth remembering. I never found myself getting lost or hung up on a problem with the software and creating reservations for the guests frequenting the restaurant. It did such a fantastic job with estimating the time that a table will be sitting to eat, depending on their party size, and adjust the schedule based on this. There would be reminders and notes when this would be approaching so I could let the customers know in advance so they didn’t have to come in and get upset. It allowed us to be able to go above and beyond to ensure our guests had the four star experience they were paying for.

Pros

Where to start when it comes to the best features of the OpenTable software. First and foremost, it is incredibly simple to pick up how to use it after only a few reservations have been made, it’s that great of a system. As a front of the house team member, it allowed me to view the entire floor plan of the restaurant on screen in a visual way that made the most sense to me, which made making reservations that much easier. When it came time to create the reservation, it was a matter of clicking on the proper icon from either a view of the floor plan or a view of the timeline. You are shown an overall view of the guests names and their party size as well as given an estimated time their party will likely be sat given their past visits to the restaurant and based of the average time of a party that size.

Cons

The software version I used has since been updated several times and I’m sure anything that was missing then has been added by now. As a user for multiple years, I strongly believe that there was hardly anything I can think of that was wrong with OpenTable. It helped me complete my job efficiently and all the guests seemed to enjoy their process of using it as well.

Kathryn

Reviewed on 5/08/2019

Love Open Table!

OpenTable is wonderful, not only do they have fast and professional customer service, they're also improving the software everyday. I love that we can train our hosts quickly and use the software to make it an enjoyable dining experience for our guests.

Pros

From a sales perspective, Open Table is fantastic at making sure we have plotted the proper rooms for private events. It is constantly making suggestions and making sure we're in the right time slots for turning tables. For our FOH manangers, it is very easy to train on which makes it less time consuming in the host training process. Guest center is also a great hub to check reviews, see your seating from an app on your phone and make any changes on the go. Love the pop up function and notes section to make sure our hosts have all the information they need. OTrestaurant.com is also wonderful to make sure we have all the right marketing tools turned on and become available to our guests. It is important that our guests have an ease of use to make a reservation and with the bonus points they receive from booking on open table it is just a plus for us to use the software.

Cons

Not a con, but we would love to see Open Table integrate with private dining software to make plotting private events faster.

Response from OpenTable

Hi Kathryn, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review!

Replied 6/08/2019
Aron

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

A great tool for restaurant

We have used them for years and would highly recommend them to small, non-corporate restaurants trying to be seen amongst so many local restaurants.

Pros

Easy for our guests to make reservations, tracks guests visits, you can enter guest notes and historical data to make their next visit more meaningful. They often have "Top Ten" lists for the categories that guests vote you in that you can use for marketing purposes. Reviews on Open Table are considered 'legit' as only real diners can write reviews.

Cons

If you have more money to spend, a program like SevenRooms has more guest tracking data capabilities for tagging and targeted emails/marketing. Can get expensive if your guests often use Open Table to make reservations.

SevenRooms

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

If we had more money to spend, we would move to SevenRooms, but it is vastly more expensive so we won't be making the switch anytime soon.

Response from OpenTable

Hi Aron, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your recommendation. We are now able to offer very sophisticated CRM capabilities through Venga. You can learn more here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/venga

Replied 5/09/2019
Charles
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 2/08/2020

OpenTable Remains Industry Leader for Many Reasons

If used as intended, OpenTable can be an unbelievable asset for any restaurant. It makes gathering and communicating guest information so easy and is compatible with the majority of point of sale systems

Pros

OpenTable has been the industry's leading platform for managing guests and an active shift. OpenTable is compatible with the majority of restaurant point of sale systems which really enhance the amount/ variety of guest information. It makes tracking new and regular guests extremely simple. OpenTable is always improving and expanding its capabilities.

Cons

The countless features of OpenTable don't come cheap. It is definitely an investment and often underutilized.

Yelp Guest Manager and Resy OS

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

OpenTable has an unmatched platform. Syncing it with your point of sale system and other hospitality programs can give you all of the ammunition you need to create a memorable guest experience for all of your guests.
paul

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Not only great for reservations......

OpenTable has been great for running the dining room more efficiently, and allows us to maximize our reservations and table turns like never before. Our hosts can confidently run the dining room from the tablet at the host stand and deal with all the reservations, walk ins, call aheads, using a waiting list. Everything is very easy to manage. With the ability to enter such succinct information about each table sat as to where they are in their meal, whether it is appetizer, meal, dessert, is the check on the table....it makes it much easier to estimate when a table will be done, so we can quote guests the proper wait time. I have been thoroughly impressed with OpenTable since we started using it a few years ago.

Pros

Most everything you can do with this software is very intuitive. Very easy to learn how to do multiple things very quickly and very easy to teach my other employees to do the same. I love how I can run my dining room on a busy weekend night from my tablet and be in complete control of all reservations, walk ins, and call aheads.

Cons

Very few issues with this software. If i had to come up with one for the review, i would say that it can be slightly buggy every once in awhile. What i mean is, some settings that i have changed to block tables for reservations or reconfigure the dining room setup can revert to previous settings without my doing. Once in a blue moon, but it is very frustrating when it happens.

Reviewed on 16/02/2021

Longtime user

So far our experience has been very good. We are even giving their online ordering a try through our 2nd location.

Pros

User friendly and easy to navigate. Also a very established business for online reservations, which mean that most of our staff has worked with it in the past and is familiar with the layout and set-up of it. Very good customer support and is very knowledgeable about the software and can easily talk you through whatever process you are looking at completing.

Cons

Little clunky and cluttered to navigate around it via the app. Also a lot of steps to add guest into the system for simple just seating a walk-in.

Resy OS

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

Customer service and the fact that they have been at this game longer than most
Joshua

Reviewed on 5/07/2018

Very easy and great tool for booking ahead and making reservations.

Pros

What I like most about this software is its usefulness, coupled with its simplistic yet easy layout. The options for available times and selections are very easy to read, making it very user-friendly. I also liked the way the layout also seemed to cater to touchscreen devices with larger than average digital buttons for selections. This definitely contributes to use on the go when a reservation may be needed to be made last minute. The available time suggestions closest to my desired time and date option also save me time from having to search around and find an available date and time.

Cons

There is not much I dislike about this software, but one thing that I would appreciate is in regards to desired date storage. What I mean by this is, let us say I have a date and time in mind for a reservation, and that time slot is not available, I am unable to book that timeslot. However, I am never made aware if that time slot becomes available unless I keep checking on that timeslot. It would be ideal if this software could incorporate an email alert or equivalent if a previously unavailable timeslot becomes available (due to the party originally occupying the reservation say cancels their existing reservation or if more seating becomes available) such that I can book my desired timeslot. While I realize this is more a feature I would like to see in a future update as opposed to an issue with the present software, I feel that this is something that is lacking that could be easily incorporated as a very useful user option.

Megan

Reviewed on 4/10/2019

Opentable and Venga

I’ve been using it in every restaurant I have worked in for 13+ years. The continued evolution of the product is much appreciated.

Pros

There is so many benifits- ease of use, platform for managing reservations prior to and in the moment, it aids in generating reservations, retaining guests and collecting data. Now that there is a venga connection I’m over the moon!

Cons

Honestly the cost per reservation is a little high for small owner operated restaurants but the added benefits are unmatched.

Yelp Guest Manager and SevenRooms

Reasons for Choosing OpenTable

Now that venga has been added we will be moving away from another product.

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

Main stream product used by 90% of market. Allows for better advertising and venga is amazing!
Jenny
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 26/04/2018

I predominantly use OpenTable for all my meal reservation-making.

Easy planning, less anxiety in wondering if a restaurant will have a wait, easy searching and filtering.

Pros

What I like the most about OpenTable is its ease of use. If I know what restaurant I want to book a reservation for and they have availability, I can basically get in and get out in less than 2 minutes. THAT'S efficiency.

I also like that you can customize searches by specific neighborhoods, specific occasions or ambiances (romantic vs. casual, etc.) and obviously prices.

Yelp isn't a main competitor but I hate that when you search for a bar or restaurant in a certain neighborhood on Yelp the results populate many, many bars or restaurants beyond that neighborhood to satisfy the search generation. I like that OpenTable functions more explicitly and narrowly than Yelp but it MAY include some very close neighborhoods in a search query.

OpenTable's trend forecasting and "places we think you'd like" are on point, too. They do a good job of assimilating restaurants into categories not just by food type but ambiance type and cost. On OpenTable, very often I'll book a reservation and then come back to check something and see that there are recommended restaurants for me that I actually already have on my personal list. It's not just like, "You picked an Italian restaurant, so we're going to recommend another Italian restaurant!". It feels more personalized and catered to me because many other factors are seemingly taken into account besides just food type.

Cons

This isn't a dig at the software specifically but I feel like some high end or modern / niche restaurants decide to host reservations on Resy instead and that tends to deter me from using OpenTable from time to time. I haven't had any issue with the OpenTable software specifically.

Nichole

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

Open Table/ Dirty Table

Pros

The ease of access of this app is too good for words. If everyone is sufficiently trained, and staff members are on their A game, this is app is quite helpful and useful. It allows all members of staff to update the POS system in order to communicate quickly what status a table is at. It is also helpful with assigning tables to certain parties and deciding upon wait times. For the Hostess, this system is great all all hosts should learn this program at some point in their career. I would only say that it is harder to expect a server to stay on top of updating the system for the hosts throughout their steps of service.

Cons

While the overall application is easy to use and very informative, it does tend to send some mixed signals between servers and hosts if not used properly. The app shows table layout on the screen that allows the user to see which tables have guests, which tables are empty but need to be bussed, and which tables are ready for new guests to be seated. The problem here is that unless a server has time between taking care of her other guests to run to a POS station to inform a hostess that a table is dirty and then find time 5-10 minutes later to see if her buster has cleaned the table and then update the table through the system, clean tables are forgotten and wait times are lengthened due to miscommunications. The structure itself is easy to use, however it seems to add

Dave

Reviewed on 23/07/2020

OpenTable Lover

OpenTable has been a pleasure to use since it's new facelift, I would recommend any and all restaurants to get on board.

Pros

Finally upgraded a lot of options for the software. It's been years and years making suggestions with this company, glad they started to finally implement what industry people needed.

Cons

The cost associated with some of the repeat business seems like it's unnecessary, but as long as it's driving business towards me I'm OK with it.

Reviewed on 6/02/2020

Great Reservation and Seating System

OpenTable provides a lot of functions that benefit us. From a seating system to online reservation system, it supports the flow of the restaurant. It provides features that allows us to keep up with guests requests, VIPs, referrals and even integrates with our email provider for marketing. It is a great overall tool.

Pros

It is very user friendly for guests and admins. It is easy to navigate and flows very well. Makes the experience better for everyone.

Cons

It works very well and there are not any current functions that we are looking for that is not provided.

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Great to make online reservations

Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

Pros

I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

Cons

Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

Ashley

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

OpenTable is a great resource for keeping managing restaurant reservations

Pros

My in-laws own a restaurant and I often help them from a technology and operations perspective. They had trouble managing their reservations. They only open for dinner, and they would spend a lot of time every day listening to Voicemail reservations, trying to get parties back on the phone to confirm, and trying to manage cancellations vs. openings with an antiquated system. When I suggested OpenTable I did not realize all of the problems I would be solving for them. OpenTable brings reservation systems into the 21st century, and allows patrons an easy way to make, change, and cancel restaurant reservations with the click of a button. For the restaurant owner or manager, it saves all of the time you use to need for follow-up, and all of the administrative management needed to handle cancellations and book optimal service volume.

Cons

There is nothing that I do not like about OpenTable for business. It has brought a lot of value to our team, and has become a major asset that we rely on to book reservations. Patrons are as happy with OpenTable as we have been in the decision to start taking reservations through them.