About OpenTable

OpenTable is a cloud-based restaurant management solution that enables restaurant managers to accept online reservations and optimize seating arrangements. It is suitable for restaurants of all sizes. OpenTable is available in...

Browse OpenTable Reviews

Diane wendy H.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 20/01/2022

Pick a date, time & place...

OpenTable is great. It's a 2-way street. Be polite - if you need to cancel your reservation, be sure to contact the venue & update your reservation.

Pros

It's so easy to make a reservation. Choose a location, type of food, sort by rating/price or what not. Select the time, date, send invites. Interact with the venue with specifics. Done!

Cons

Wish you could book larger groups, but I get it. I'm sure OpenTable wishes they could book larger groups, too. Oh, you certainly don't see restaurants in the area that don't use OpenTable, so you could have more choices.

Eric r. B.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 13/01/2022

OpenTable is great when it is properly configured, but hides too many useful tools

Pros

When OpenTable had a cleaner reservation system, it was excellent. You could book way ahead of time and they had a points-based system that earned you rewards. Sometime a few years back, they lost a lot of their functionality and they seemed to lose their ability to book a lot of restaurants they'd previously had. The rewards system was a big part of my regular use, so I stopped using them as often as a result.

Cons

When there is a reservation option on the listing for a restaurant, it is kind of hidden. This makes very little sense.

Saachi S.

Reviewed on 15/12/2021

OpenTable

Pros

I like that more places offer reservations because they started working with OpenTable

Cons

I don't like that I often get emails from OpenTable that I didn't show up to a reservation when in fact I did. Seems to be issues between the places and OpenTable

Top OpenTable Alternatives

Cynthia C.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 21/12/2021

OpenTable is the Industry Standard.

My experience as a hostess in a high end jazz club has been great. Once you get the drift of using Open Table, it's easy to use and implement, easy to change tables around and has been an excellent source of information because it stores history on any client that is entered into the system.

Pros

The features most liked are the customer history, ability to bypass the standard programming for a table and put in special requests. I also like the ease of which you can change a floor plan and number the tables to accommodate various special occasion situations. And I like the ability to no-show a client and they receive that response. Also like the ability to enter in special codes like anniversary, birthday, special event, gluten free, etc. This all helps us to give the client a superior experience.

Cons

The system is only as good as what is programmed into it. You have to learn the tricks and tips to move around the Open Table system in order to get past what it tells you upfront.

Mu M.
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 9/01/2022

LOVE using OpenTable to make restaurant reservations

I would strongly recommend OpenTable. It makes making restaurant reservations a breeze. I think it's much better compared to other apps alike (such as Resy).

Pros

OpenTable is a a great website/app for making reservations. They allow you to notify the restaurant of special occasions (birthday, anniversary etc.) and also let you invite other guests in your party. It's easy to make, modify or cancel reservations. It works integrated with my Google calendar app so if I'm making a reservation ahead of time I have a second reminder in my calendar app. I really enjoy their rewards program too.

Cons

I don't have any real complaints about OpenTable, only I wish their network was larger. OpenTable is well connected in major cities (I use it when I travel too) but many restaurants I found in small cities/towns are not part of the network.

Wendy Z.

Reviewed on 20/01/2022

A must needed tool for reservations!! Highly recommend!

Really enjoy this tool! Everyone knows about it and it makes booking reservations very easy! Definitely recommend utilizing this tool for scheduling and booking your reservations!

Pros

I use this tool a lot for making reservations! It makes booking reservations very easy to navigate and complete. It is very user friendly and it displays the dates and times in a very simple way. They also send reminders for your reservations which is also a great tool. They allow for easy cancellations and rescheduling as well. Definitely a very universal tool that almost everyone is familiar with, a must have!

Cons

Really not much, the interface has changed to be made a in a more user friendly way for display and viewing. I really enjoy this tool!

• Industry: Cosmetics
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 18/01/2022

A Consumer's Dream

I first downloaded OpenTable when my boyfriend and I wanted to go to this insanely popular breakfast spot in Washington DC. We had been there many times before and the wait was always a minimum of 45 minutes. I called the restaurant to see what the wait time would be and the hostess told me about the app. Since the first use, I was sold. Surprising that it's not more well known, if you ask me.

Pros

What the software does is quite cool. Many restaurants these days don't take reservations so you're forced to try your luck and hope for a short wait time. With OpenTable, that's not an issue; what they do is place your name on the list of guests that the restaurant already has. All you have to do is make sure you get there when it's your turn. You spend your "wait time" doing whatever you want (including rolling out of bed). The amount of time saved is fantastic; plus, you don't have to stand around waiting with people during the pandemic.
You can also order food for delivery or pickup.

Cons

I think my only complaint would be the fact that availability outside of my area is scarce. I travel a lot to and from Atlanta, LA, and Vegas. Perhaps I'm just spoiled by the availability here in DC.

Louisa C.

Reviewed on 13/01/2022

OpenTable makes managing reservations for group dinners a breeze!

I have loved using OpenTable to manage large group dinners for my student organizations, and will continue to use it for company dinners or social events once I graduate!

Pros

Using this software as a college student to book dinners for the many different clubs and organizations of which I am a part has made my life so much easier. With OpenTable, I can easily search a wide variety of restaurants in my city, narrow down my options with filters, dig deeper with detailed and accurate reviews, then finally book my reservation with a simple few clicks of a button. Additionally, the applications integration with Google calendar makes creating reminders for my reservations a breeze.

Cons

I feel that OpenTable could be improved by having a more straightforward report of a restaurant's specific features on their review page, like Yelp provides.

Adam B.
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 13/12/2021

Preferred platform for making reservations

Pros

Simple efficient way to book reservations at restaurants whether for my personal life or for groups in my professional life. Offers good recommendations if your desired spot is fully booked. The notification system if your a reservation opens up is also very useful

Cons

The communication system with the restaurants and bars doesn't seem to work. Or maybe it is difficult to find at times. I was told on one of my reservations to inform the restaurant if I would be late through the in-app message system, but I wasn't able to do that.

• Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 18/01/2022

OpenTable - the easiest way to make a reservation

Pros

OpenTable allows you to easily make a reservation online within 2 minutes. No more calling, waiting on hold, and waiting for staff to check the seating chart to see when they can squeeze you in. By booking reservations online through OpenTable you can see when times are available immediately for almost any notable restaurant.

Cons

I can't think of any cons to using this software. OpenTable provides an easy way to make a reservation. And cancelling the reservation is just as easy.

Mark W.

Reviewed on 31/03/2021

Halfway there, but needs help

Table reservation management is the basic goal, and attracting new patrons is also right up there. On the latter, OT is only fair. They used to be better about bringing in new people, but seem to have changed their algorithm. But it's not as bad as the money grubbers at Yelp who go out of their way to prevent people from seeing your restaurant name unless you pay them absurd amounts.

Pros

OT is a reasonably priced reservation system that is reliable and straightforward to use. It offers more extensive services for a large operation, but in its minimal form is easy for a small (35-45 seat) restaurant to use without dedicating a person to managing it.

Cons

The mobile app could be great, but isn't. There are three ways to interact: PC Web, Mobile Web, and Mobile App (Android in my case). They all have slightly different functionality, for no good reason.
- Example 1: The mobile app lets you see previous times a patron came in; mobile Web and PC Web only tell you the number, not the dates. But the mobile app doesn't give you control over scheduling and such. So you find yourself flipping among multiple devices to get your job done.
- Example 2: Mobile Web and mobile app require constant re-login. PC does not.
- Example 3: PC works reliably to see reservations, but after a period of inactivity, stops allowing interaction (such as setting a guest to "Seated"). A browser refresh is required.
Exasperating!

Kelly M.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

A great reservations software for restaurants

Everything about OpenTable for Restaurants was an experience worth remembering. I never found myself getting lost or hung up on a problem with the software and creating reservations for the guests frequenting the restaurant. It did such a fantastic job with estimating the time that a table will be sitting to eat, depending on their party size, and adjust the schedule based on this. There would be reminders and notes when this would be approaching so I could let the customers know in advance so they didn’t have to come in and get upset. It allowed us to be able to go above and beyond to ensure our guests had the four star experience they were paying for.

Pros

Where to start when it comes to the best features of the OpenTable software. First and foremost, it is incredibly simple to pick up how to use it after only a few reservations have been made, it’s that great of a system. As a front of the house team member, it allowed me to view the entire floor plan of the restaurant on screen in a visual way that made the most sense to me, which made making reservations that much easier. When it came time to create the reservation, it was a matter of clicking on the proper icon from either a view of the floor plan or a view of the timeline. You are shown an overall view of the guests names and their party size as well as given an estimated time their party will likely be sat given their past visits to the restaurant and based of the average time of a party that size.

Cons

The software version I used has since been updated several times and I’m sure anything that was missing then has been added by now. As a user for multiple years, I strongly believe that there was hardly anything I can think of that was wrong with OpenTable. It helped me complete my job efficiently and all the guests seemed to enjoy their process of using it as well.

Kathryn B.

Reviewed on 5/08/2019

Love Open Table!

OpenTable is wonderful, not only do they have fast and professional customer service, they're also improving the software everyday. I love that we can train our hosts quickly and use the software to make it an enjoyable dining experience for our guests.

Pros

From a sales perspective, Open Table is fantastic at making sure we have plotted the proper rooms for private events. It is constantly making suggestions and making sure we're in the right time slots for turning tables. For our FOH manangers, it is very easy to train on which makes it less time consuming in the host training process. Guest center is also a great hub to check reviews, see your seating from an app on your phone and make any changes on the go. Love the pop up function and notes section to make sure our hosts have all the information they need. OTrestaurant.com is also wonderful to make sure we have all the right marketing tools turned on and become available to our guests. It is important that our guests have an ease of use to make a reservation and with the bonus points they receive from booking on open table it is just a plus for us to use the software.

Cons

Not a con, but we would love to see Open Table integrate with private dining software to make plotting private events faster.

Response from OpenTable

Hi Kathryn, thanks so much for taking the time to write a review!

Replied 6/08/2019
Aron V.

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

A great tool for restaurant

We have used them for years and would highly recommend them to small, non-corporate restaurants trying to be seen amongst so many local restaurants.

Pros

Easy for our guests to make reservations, tracks guests visits, you can enter guest notes and historical data to make their next visit more meaningful. They often have "Top Ten" lists for the categories that guests vote you in that you can use for marketing purposes. Reviews on Open Table are considered 'legit' as only real diners can write reviews.

Cons

If you have more money to spend, a program like SevenRooms has more guest tracking data capabilities for tagging and targeted emails/marketing. Can get expensive if your guests often use Open Table to make reservations.

SevenRooms

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

If we had more money to spend, we would move to SevenRooms, but it is vastly more expensive so we won't be making the switch anytime soon.

Response from OpenTable

Hi Aron, thanks for taking the time to write a review! We really appreciate your recommendation. We are now able to offer very sophisticated CRM capabilities through Venga. You can learn more here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/venga

Replied 5/09/2019
Charles G.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 2/08/2020

OpenTable Remains Industry Leader for Many Reasons

If used as intended, OpenTable can be an unbelievable asset for any restaurant. It makes gathering and communicating guest information so easy and is compatible with the majority of point of sale systems

Pros

OpenTable has been the industry's leading platform for managing guests and an active shift. OpenTable is compatible with the majority of restaurant point of sale systems which really enhance the amount/ variety of guest information. It makes tracking new and regular guests extremely simple. OpenTable is always improving and expanding its capabilities.

Cons

The countless features of OpenTable don't come cheap. It is definitely an investment and often underutilized.

SeatMe and Resy OS

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

OpenTable has an unmatched platform. Syncing it with your point of sale system and other hospitality programs can give you all of the ammunition you need to create a memorable guest experience for all of your guests.
Paul P.

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Not only great for reservations......

OpenTable has been great for running the dining room more efficiently, and allows us to maximize our reservations and table turns like never before. Our hosts can confidently run the dining room from the tablet at the host stand and deal with all the reservations, walk ins, call aheads, using a waiting list. Everything is very easy to manage. With the ability to enter such succinct information about each table sat as to where they are in their meal, whether it is appetizer, meal, dessert, is the check on the table....it makes it much easier to estimate when a table will be done, so we can quote guests the proper wait time. I have been thoroughly impressed with OpenTable since we started using it a few years ago.

Pros

Most everything you can do with this software is very intuitive. Very easy to learn how to do multiple things very quickly and very easy to teach my other employees to do the same. I love how I can run my dining room on a busy weekend night from my tablet and be in complete control of all reservations, walk ins, and call aheads.

Cons

Very few issues with this software. If i had to come up with one for the review, i would say that it can be slightly buggy every once in awhile. What i mean is, some settings that i have changed to block tables for reservations or reconfigure the dining room setup can revert to previous settings without my doing. Once in a blue moon, but it is very frustrating when it happens.

Sarah P.

Reviewed on 16/02/2021

Longtime user

So far our experience has been very good. We are even giving their online ordering a try through our 2nd location.

Pros

User friendly and easy to navigate. Also a very established business for online reservations, which mean that most of our staff has worked with it in the past and is familiar with the layout and set-up of it. Very good customer support and is very knowledgeable about the software and can easily talk you through whatever process you are looking at completing.

Cons

Little clunky and cluttered to navigate around it via the app. Also a lot of steps to add guest into the system for simple just seating a walk-in.

Resy OS

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

Customer service and the fact that they have been at this game longer than most
Joshua S.

Reviewed on 5/07/2018

Very easy and great tool for booking ahead and making reservations.

Pros

What I like most about this software is its usefulness, coupled with its simplistic yet easy layout. The options for available times and selections are very easy to read, making it very user-friendly. I also liked the way the layout also seemed to cater to touchscreen devices with larger than average digital buttons for selections. This definitely contributes to use on the go when a reservation may be needed to be made last minute. The available time suggestions closest to my desired time and date option also save me time from having to search around and find an available date and time.

Cons

There is not much I dislike about this software, but one thing that I would appreciate is in regards to desired date storage. What I mean by this is, let us say I have a date and time in mind for a reservation, and that time slot is not available, I am unable to book that timeslot. However, I am never made aware if that time slot becomes available unless I keep checking on that timeslot. It would be ideal if this software could incorporate an email alert or equivalent if a previously unavailable timeslot becomes available (due to the party originally occupying the reservation say cancels their existing reservation or if more seating becomes available) such that I can book my desired timeslot. While I realize this is more a feature I would like to see in a future update as opposed to an issue with the present software, I feel that this is something that is lacking that could be easily incorporated as a very useful user option.

Megan L.

Reviewed on 4/10/2019

Opentable and Venga

I’ve been using it in every restaurant I have worked in for 13+ years. The continued evolution of the product is much appreciated.

Pros

There is so many benifits- ease of use, platform for managing reservations prior to and in the moment, it aids in generating reservations, retaining guests and collecting data. Now that there is a venga connection I’m over the moon!

Cons

Honestly the cost per reservation is a little high for small owner operated restaurants but the added benefits are unmatched.

SevenRooms and SeatMe

Reasons for Choosing OpenTable

Now that venga has been added we will be moving away from another product.

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

Main stream product used by 90% of market. Allows for better advertising and venga is amazing!
Jenny M.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 26/04/2018

I predominantly use OpenTable for all my meal reservation-making.

Easy planning, less anxiety in wondering if a restaurant will have a wait, easy searching and filtering.

Pros

What I like the most about OpenTable is its ease of use. If I know what restaurant I want to book a reservation for and they have availability, I can basically get in and get out in less than 2 minutes. THAT'S efficiency.

I also like that you can customize searches by specific neighborhoods, specific occasions or ambiances (romantic vs. casual, etc.) and obviously prices.

Yelp isn't a main competitor but I hate that when you search for a bar or restaurant in a certain neighborhood on Yelp the results populate many, many bars or restaurants beyond that neighborhood to satisfy the search generation. I like that OpenTable functions more explicitly and narrowly than Yelp but it MAY include some very close neighborhoods in a search query.

OpenTable's trend forecasting and "places we think you'd like" are on point, too. They do a good job of assimilating restaurants into categories not just by food type but ambiance type and cost. On OpenTable, very often I'll book a reservation and then come back to check something and see that there are recommended restaurants for me that I actually already have on my personal list. It's not just like, "You picked an Italian restaurant, so we're going to recommend another Italian restaurant!". It feels more personalized and catered to me because many other factors are seemingly taken into account besides just food type.

Cons

This isn't a dig at the software specifically but I feel like some high end or modern / niche restaurants decide to host reservations on Resy instead and that tends to deter me from using OpenTable from time to time. I haven't had any issue with the OpenTable software specifically.

Nichole S.

Reviewed on 10/12/2017

Open Table/ Dirty Table

Pros

The ease of access of this app is too good for words. If everyone is sufficiently trained, and staff members are on their A game, this is app is quite helpful and useful. It allows all members of staff to update the POS system in order to communicate quickly what status a table is at. It is also helpful with assigning tables to certain parties and deciding upon wait times. For the Hostess, this system is great all all hosts should learn this program at some point in their career. I would only say that it is harder to expect a server to stay on top of updating the system for the hosts throughout their steps of service.

Cons

While the overall application is easy to use and very informative, it does tend to send some mixed signals between servers and hosts if not used properly. The app shows table layout on the screen that allows the user to see which tables have guests, which tables are empty but need to be bussed, and which tables are ready for new guests to be seated. The problem here is that unless a server has time between taking care of her other guests to run to a POS station to inform a hostess that a table is dirty and then find time 5-10 minutes later to see if her buster has cleaned the table and then update the table through the system, clean tables are forgotten and wait times are lengthened due to miscommunications. The structure itself is easy to use, however it seems to add

Dave S.

Reviewed on 23/07/2020

OpenTable Lover

OpenTable has been a pleasure to use since it's new facelift, I would recommend any and all restaurants to get on board.

Pros

Finally upgraded a lot of options for the software. It's been years and years making suggestions with this company, glad they started to finally implement what industry people needed.

Cons

The cost associated with some of the repeat business seems like it's unnecessary, but as long as it's driving business towards me I'm OK with it.

Sarah J.

Reviewed on 6/02/2020

Great Reservation and Seating System

OpenTable provides a lot of functions that benefit us. From a seating system to online reservation system, it supports the flow of the restaurant. It provides features that allows us to keep up with guests requests, VIPs, referrals and even integrates with our email provider for marketing. It is a great overall tool.

Pros

It is very user friendly for guests and admins. It is easy to navigate and flows very well. Makes the experience better for everyone.

Cons

It works very well and there are not any current functions that we are looking for that is not provided.

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Great to make online reservations

Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

Pros

I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

Cons

Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

Ashley M.

Reviewed on 19/10/2018

OpenTable is a great resource for keeping managing restaurant reservations

Pros

My in-laws own a restaurant and I often help them from a technology and operations perspective. They had trouble managing their reservations. They only open for dinner, and they would spend a lot of time every day listening to Voicemail reservations, trying to get parties back on the phone to confirm, and trying to manage cancellations vs. openings with an antiquated system. When I suggested OpenTable I did not realize all of the problems I would be solving for them. OpenTable brings reservation systems into the 21st century, and allows patrons an easy way to make, change, and cancel restaurant reservations with the click of a button. For the restaurant owner or manager, it saves all of the time you use to need for follow-up, and all of the administrative management needed to handle cancellations and book optimal service volume.

Cons

There is nothing that I do not like about OpenTable for business. It has brought a lot of value to our team, and has become a major asset that we rely on to book reservations. Patrons are as happy with OpenTable as we have been in the decision to start taking reservations through them.