About Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft OneNote is a digital note taking app that can be accessed via Android, Chrome, Windows, iOS and Mac devices. The solution is well-suited for individuals attending numerous meetings per week and working on multiple...

Browse Microsoft OneNote Reviews

1,000 of 1,000 reviews
Nicholas C.

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

OneNote: a great foundation for collaboration

OneNote has become central to our documentation at our organization. Especially after the integration between OneNote and Office 365 Groups and then Teams, the addition of the Collaboration Space and Documentation Library has helped us create central repositories that can be worked on simultaneously and frequently. Administration can collaborate and share materials and use the private spaces for groups members to take their own notes or have individual content distributed to them to work on or reflect upon.
I love this product and since growing with it in my career have also expanded to use it in my personal life for notetaking, organization, and planning.

Pros

The notebook structure was very appealing to me when I first started using OneNote. Once I unbound myself from the concept of creating everything to translate to a printed letter size piece of paper it really took off. You can create your notebook and its contents to directly translate to what if it had to be printed. But you can also transform it to a fully interactive collection. With links to various other locations in the same notebook, other locations and materials on the internet, and even embedding videos and other documents directly in the pages of the notebook you can make the reach of the content presented to extend beyond the boundries of the document itself.

Cons

The different versions - When OneNote transitioned to the web, it was during the focus on the Metro UI in Windows 8 and it suffered for it. The simplicity of what the web version could do was crippled by the ability of the internet browsers at the time. Over time it has increased in parity between the desktop version and the web, however - the Metro UI designed app has lingered and its design has stayed truer to the web version than the original desktop version. It is getting harder to find the desktop version that has content central and navigation to the left, top, and right sides. The web, mobile app, and "for windows 10" versions make navigation subjectively more complex when you have extensively robust notebooks.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

It proved to be the most logical and user friendly to translate hierarchical structures of documentation, collaboration, and communication the way we needed to get the most buy in and participation from the community.
Nachiket P.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 24/04/2022

Microsoft OneNote: The best task listing and meeting notes management tool

My overall experience with OneNote has been great. I used to use Notepad to record notes initially, but when I saw OneNote, it opened my eyes to a whole new dimension. I had to maintain one Notepad file for each workday and had ended up using too many Notepad files for recording meeting notes. It was very difficult to search for the required content in times of need. One-Note removed all these barriers, and now I can record the notes of all meetings in a single OneNote creating sections for each day, and locate words/phrases across all sections in no time. I would recommend everyone to use OneNote for recording meeting notes and maintaining a daily task list.

Pros

The best thing I like about Microsoft OneNote is the functionality to add sections. I believe this is one thing that Microsoft Word lacked, and Microsoft OneNote has pitched in rightly to address that unmet need. Bringing in the feature of adding sections brings OneNote closer to the worksheet model of Excel. It enables our team to track updates across sprints, all in a single note having different sections for each sprint. It also helps me organize my personal notes, with the notes of each day mentioned in a separate section.

Cons

OneNote is great in many aspects. Seeing OneNote from a different perspective, we find that it lacks in certain aspects like table formatting wherein there is no option to fill the cells with a particular color. Also, OneNote lacks the Headings feature in Word, which actually helps in displaying only required sections when reading. These are some of the areas of improvement which I can think of.

Stephanie M.

Decent Note Taking Software

Pros

I love that I am able to take notes on one device and it syncs to multiple devices. You can create a file and you can share it with multiple people and they can add notes and make changes. This is really helpful when working in groups in classes with group projects.

Cons

The software takes up ALOT of storage on your devices and it can be really confusing at first when trying to understand how to use it.

Top Microsoft OneNote Alternatives

Nitin S.

Reviewed on 20/03/2022

Best note taking and beautiful featured windows software for daily use

Onenote is best tool for taking on going session notes while working on other works so basically it helps you multitasking and tremendously increase your strength. If you're a blogger and want to work in a offline environment then this is the best app to continue with.

Pros

When I encountered onenote first time I have been using it for just taking rough notes for my blog but recently I have encountered about their screen recording feature. Its shortcuts are really helpful without opening onenote every time one can take screenshot, copy it to clipboard and use anywhere.

Also I can upload any pdf in a text content, I can also add media file inside a doc file and send it over network. Even making to do lists, sticky notes and other daily tasks can be done at once in this tool.

Cons

It is really helpful tool but learning things make it complex further and also I cannot find any solution to use it in mobile.

Lack of personalization is also one of the lagging feature that need to be addressed in further updates.

Google Keep and Evernote Teams

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

It is offline and you don't need internet connection to store and write any tasks. Other alternatives need internet connection as they store into cloud and make you use on any system without losing your content. OneNote allows you to add any type of file inside a text file, others don't have that much capability.
Oscar G.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 22/05/2022

The best way to organize your TO DO list

Pros

I like the possibility to create different notebooks in the same interface and the possibility to create TO DO lists with ticks to mark a task as done. It is very useful that these notebooks can be accesible from different devices so it is easy to use your phone to take photos in conferences and meetings and adding them to your notes directly from the cam.

Cons

Missing the possibility to have more sub-levels (page, sections...) to organise the notes and the possibility to create template such as "meeting minutes". I would include more formatting options and improve how to manage table.

Marie M.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 10/05/2022

Dynamic tool to suit both personal and business needs!

Pros

Microsoft OneNote has evolved beyond just a simple note taking tool. It is a dynamic digital note taking platform which allows users to makes note in various forms. Feature includes recording video and audio, inserting document and pictures. What is even cooler is that no secondary software is need to listen and watch everything is done right there in OneNote. Immersive Reader is another useful upgrade and depending on the version of OneNote you use.

Cons

I have no dislikes about this tool I believe Microsoft did an awesome job especially with the new features.

Reviewed on 19/05/2022

Great tool for maintaining notes

Overall, OneNote is extremely crucial for us as all our research notes, call notes, etc are maintained in our books here. I’d say the experience had been satisfactory and there is definitely a few features that can be improved upon.

Pros

Unlike word, I don’t have to save my notes every single time. Things are synced automatically and you can just pick up from where you left off when you reopen it.
Multiple people can work on the same document at the same time and the markings (tagging with name initials) will tell you who worked on what portion

Cons

As the documents keep on syncing automatically - it can be extremely laggy and irritating when taking live call notes (earnings call, management calls) when speed is crucial.
Also, there can be issues with formatting when copying in information from Word (for some reason the formatting wouldn’t change and you’d have to type it all over again)

• Industry: Research

Reviewed on 12/05/2022

One of the best note keeping softwares

Pros

Allows me to keep a note of the meetings and access it across devices(mobile as well as laptop). Also the interface is quite appealing and loaded with essential features. Provides a lot of templates to choose from which helps in presenting the notes. By integrating it with MS Teams, I can manage notes of each meeting that happened pretty easily

Cons

Initially i found it difficult to get a grasp on the software especially while handling multiple notebooks as a result of which I routinely switched on to Word or Stickies. Also while using the record feature on OneNote recently, the application crashes a few times

Hogan V.
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 19/05/2022

The hidden gem of document management

Keeping all of my law classes organized while I study for the bar exam.

Pros

Is is extremely easy to combine all sorts of information into a single folder and the search capability is second to none. I wish I found this program years ago.

Cons

Considering it is part of the Microsoft office suite, there are some functions in the tool bars that would be beneficial. For example there is no dictation button in OneNote to be able to tap and then speak the notes you were trying to write. However, I did find a workaround with an ad in that needs to be added From the Internet and it solves that problem.

Gustav R.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 25/04/2022

Best way of keeping notes

Very pleased, I use everyday.

Pros

It is so easy to use and offers a lot of space and functionality for your notes.

Cons

I had some trouble syncing with my OneDrive but I fixed it.

• Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 27/05/2022

Take the first step to a cleaner, less cluttered life.

OneNote is one of the most popular note-taking apps on the market, and for good reason. It offers a robust feature set, a wide variety of integrations with other Microsoft services and web services, and it’s free.
The app has been around for years and received several updates over time.
However, OneNote’s biggest update in recent memory arrived in 2018 with the release of Microsoft 365 — an updated version of Office 365 that includes all the latest features from the company’s productivity suite. With this new version, OneNote got a makeover and now looks more modern than ever before. It also brought a lot of new features to the table that make it even better than before.

Pros

It gives you an easy way to keep all your notes in one place.
It’s available on every device, so you can access your notes no matter where you are.
You can organize your notes any way that makes sense to you—by topic, date or even tags, like #work or #personal.

Cons

Lack of Customization - It's not possible to customize any of your notes or notebooks in OneNote which can make it difficult if you want something more advanced than what it offers out of the box. Microsoft OneNote doesn't have any open APIs or integrations with third-party apps like Evernote does.

Naja H.

Reviewed on 20/05/2022

Microsoft OneNote, optimal Note taking and organization app

Overall my experience with Microsoft OneNote is a good one. I do enjoy using this system and application as a primary notetaking resource. For the cost, I do believe that it can be Utilized very broadly and that makes it worth it, however For students or organizations that do not supply this app it may be A cost that students cannot afford otherwise. In addition I would recommend to utilize a service that allows Alumni to also benefit from some student benefit for a period of time after they no longer have access to their university email because of the fact that a lot of the times students that are recent alumni are still using Microsoft and need a little bit of a longer window before being asked to pay for their own subscription .

Pros

In general Microsoft OneNote is my go to and favorite notetaking app as a professional student. I find that the ability to hyper organize by topic and category allows me to keep my notes organized. In addition the ability to utilize both type to text features on top of the ability to use Apple Pencil allows me to truly customize my notes as I see fit.

Cons

The things that I liked Lisa about the software are that once the Notes sizes get to be quite large downloading these notes from the cloud does seem to take an extremely long time. And when they are downloading from the cloud you do not have access to work on those notes. Or changes that you make might not be synchronized when you reopen the app either from another device or once they do download from the cloud. In addition in order to utilize the software you do need to have a Microsoft software subscription to use on safe for example an iPad with the Microsoft OneNote app. For a student who may not be able to afford it it is a pretty big lump sum. However I will say that because of the fact that a lot of universities and corporations supply Microsoft for their students and employees it allows students to continue to utilize it.

Erin R.
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 4/02/2022

OneNote - Unified Resource

Overall, using OneNote for our team document/process library has been helpful because it's a central place for a wide variety of information and documents that were formerly in many different places. It can sometimes be tricky to decide how to organize the notebooks because there are so many section and page options, and sometimes content is relevant to more than one section - however, the search function is usually quite reliable.

Pros

The search features of OneNote are very useful. I like using OneNote for my meeting notes, as they are easily searchable and I can organize them in various ways.

It's also nice to use OneNote for our team process manual/helpful notes/new hire checklists/etc. We use OneNote as a centralized document library because it is easy to search and share content.

Cons

We run into frequent sync issues with shared notebooks, so it can be challenging to know if all team members are seeing the same content. Not sure if this is a PC issue, a security issue or a OneNote issue - our IT help desk offers various solutions that work for some users but not for others. It would be nice if the sync error notification was more obvious to let you know you're viewing outdated content.

Sven H.

Reviewed on 15/10/2021

An incredibly powerful one-stop-shop

Beyond these cons, OneNote is super-easy to use, powerful, and functional across all major platforms. Unfortunately, not all platforms offer the same features: Wiki-style links (creating links using [[ ]]) is not supported in the browser version nor on iPadOS.

Pros

You can embed content from so many sites: Youtube, Thinglink, Coogle to name a few. Each notebook can contain as many section groups and sections as you want, with as many pages and sub-pages as you want. And each page is an infinite canvas. Bonus: You can store actual files on any pages that you can then later open in the appropiate app using a double click. The desktop version features OCR which is great for searching content in pictures.

Cons

The way the infinite canvas works. You cannot scroll left or up from the top of the page - only right and down. That feels somewhat counterintuitive at times. Also, there should be easy sharing on the page level - as of the writing of this review, you can only share entire notebooks, meaning you give access to it all, even if all you wanted to do was to collaborate on a single page.

Kate V.
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 24/09/2021

Robust for Note Taking and Task Management, but incredibly slow

I have been able to stay better organized especially with using the to-do list, and I consistently recommend it to my colleagues despite the issues (lagging/freezing and different versions causing confusion) that I have experienced.

Pros

I regularly use (and recommend to my colleagues) the templates for to-do lists within One Note, specifically the prioritized to-do list template which automatically inserts High, Medium and Low priority groupings into a to-do list where you can easily add, move (via drag/drop) and check off items.

Because of the ability to create multiple notebooks, have individual tabs within the notebooks, and then individual pages within the tabs, there is the ability to manage and organize the notes and to-do lists very granularly.

The digital notes sync across all devices so you are able to add/view/update notes from anywhere that you have access to the app.

Cons

The app consistently freezes when doing even the most minor of tasks. I will access it to enter in a new note, the app will freeze and lag sometimes as long as 30 seconds before the changes I've made appear on screen.

Additionally, we have regular issues where users across our organization are seeing entirely disparate versions of the software. It is not as simple as the GUI being slightly different, but that they have an entirely different layout and it appears that they have different levels of functionality which has caused frequent issues with training and adoption. Now, that may be in part an IT issue on our end if users are getting different versions installed when they begin - however, it's a cloud-based service and I don't think it is acceptable that we could have such issues. There should be a way to update from the app to the latest version.

Lex A.

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Not my first choice

I need to concede, that at the outset I had numerous issues getting myself set up with one note, however from that point forward, it has been an outright lifeline. The entirety of my archives are in one region, I can get to them from each PC I own and Id need to say I use it regular, I in a real sense couldn't abandon utilizing this program.

Pros

Microsoft OneNote is loaded with numerous highlights that go past taking notes; it likewise gives you a few different ways to change pictures over to message. For instance, the OCR instrument permits you to snap a photo of an archive, business card, flyer or whiteboard, then, at that point extricate that content. You would then be able to save that content in OneNote, Microsoft Word or Standpoint.

OCR's productivity relies upon a few elements. These incorporate picture quality, the intricacy of the characters it is examining and the intelligibility of the transcribed notes. So consistently make a point to twofold check in the event that it perceives everything effectively. Regardless of whether OCR doesn't get each letter, it is as yet a vital life hack, particularly for organizations and entrepreneurs.

Cons

Matching up can take some time , Unacceptable portable application, Average web cutting augmentation

Google Drive

Already had an account
Stella maris B.

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

OneNote, a multipurpose 21st Century Tool for Lifelong Learners

I plan my classes and curate content. OneNote has helped me shape the way I organize and manage my classes and curate content as a participant, presenter and author. I can search content in all my notebooks in a very short time, create portfolios of learning progress over years, move, copy, archive and delete sections or pages. Digital ink, lasso conversion, linked notes, degrees of privacy, audio and video recordings, printouts, symbols, emoji, stickers, equations, drawing, dictionary tools with Thesaurus, immersive reader with speed and voice control, identification of main parts of speech, reading line focus, visual vocabulary input and image to text conversion are some of the most valuable features allowing the promotion , development and assessment of main 21st Century hard and soft skills in PBL ( Project Based Learning) , Remote Learning and Home Office Work. The Send to OneNote feature in different formats makes it unique since users can annotate their bookmarks and enhance them with extra content . App smashing through OneNote it effective since it allows multiple integrations with LMS, platforms like Buncee ,Wakelet, Office apps, Flipgrid, Genially, Whiteboard.chat, Kahoot, Quizlet, Sketchfab, PhET interactive simulations, Adobe Spark, EdPuzzle, Playposit, etc.

Pros

I like everything. It helps me organize content, plan, deliver & assess learning paths, keep records of multimedia resources supporting learning beyond school walls through assistive technology, data management with support and feedback to allow student voice, choice and agency as well as autonomous learning.

Cons

I only dislike the fact that I did not use it as a student. I wish I had had such a powerful learning app at school. It is permanently adding new features to make learning accessible, memorable and enjoyable not only for students but for PD , content curation and regular use at home.

Francesco F.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 9/07/2020

Replacement for blackboard

I use OneNote to lecture, using hand writing to match note taking pace of students. We think that for physics note taking and home reviewing them is an essential step in learning as it stimulates immediate questioning if something is not understood. Projecting the screen affords for large class rooms. Changing colors, moving sketches around works well, notes can then be turned into pdf or edited to produce better hand out. I use finite size sheets to distribute notes, during the lecture I use a continuous sheet.
The notebook is on OneDrive and is available in different devices, which is sometimes useful.
Overall this made a change from blackboard and chalk, and when remote lecturing came due to pandemics I did not change lecture habits.
These habits might look old fashioned but for some subjects that require reasoning, sketches, math, numerical computations, comparison with graphs, I feel these are necessary and OneNote gives a good support

Pros

Handwriting with a Microsoft Surface and its pen is easy, erasing is natural, select and move also. You can color your handwriting afterwards. For lecturing you can enlarge what you wrote, or pick up a detail of a sketch. I use it with small squares, which help writing in an orderly way. Printing can be of a single sheet, a section or more. The vey few times I went into a crash, recovery was fast and essentially no data was lost, all essential in a lecture.

Cons

Sometimes, quite rarely, the whole sheet moves, it probably depends on how you approach your hand before positioning for writing, this might be something inherent to pen tablets. In older versions the management of the sheet format (finite size vs infinite) was easier.

Prasath C.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Microsoft One Note - A free Office 365 service

I like OneNote because it is an easy to use, and a free application. It allows me to organize my notes and save them in a way that I can access them any time and anywhere. For me, OneNote is perfect for my usage because it is easy to use, it is easy to organize notes in a way that I can find them any time and anywhere. I’ve been using One Note for a couple of years now, and I’m an avid user of it. I use it to manage my projects and ideas, keep track of tasks and projects, and even keep track of the tasks and projects I’m currently working on.

Pros

1.Microsoft One Note is a software package which enables individuals and organizations to create and share notes and diagrams. It is a simple, straightforward, powerful tool for recording important information.
2.It allows users to create individual notes, which can be attached to each other, to themselves or to websites. It also allows users to create digital flipbooks and create annotated PDF files.
3.It is a cloud-based notes program that has a focus on helping people to stay connected to their work even when they are away from their desk or desktop.
4.One note is a note taking application that is easy to use and very flexible. The application supports PDF, Word, Excel and PowerPoint files. This application is compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems.
5.It is a free Office 365 service that makes it easy for you to create, organize, and share your ideas. It helps you take notes, brainstorm, and collect your thoughts with ideas that come to you anywhere, on any device.

Cons

1. The main disadvantage of using Microsoft One Note is that it can be difficult to use because of the way it is laid out. In order to find information, you need to scroll through the pages and pages of data.
2. It is difficult to share the content with the other users. As a result, the users have to re-enter the content which is very difficult and time-consuming.

Miguel G.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

All your notes in one place

OneNotres has been a part of my arsenal of tools for the enterprise environment. I have used it on a personal level as well. I have used both the loal and cloud version, choosing the cloud due to my ability to access from any device. You can also add a local copy, depending on your subscription level, and sync your online content to your local machine. This helps in keeping your data in 2 places at once.

Pros

Microsoft OneNotes offer a single place to enter, manage and access all your notes. It provides flexibility in how you organize your content. From simple note taking to more complex graphics and images, OneNotes lets you organize in efficient ways. The use of tags helps you find what you need across multiple notebooks, section and pages. No more having to navigate through complex and cumbersome folder hierarchies.

OneNotes is a massive repository tool that takes the place of many other tools. Using OneNotes rids you of separate Tasks or To Do lists, file repositories, and even digital media. OneNotes lets you combine all your electronic files into a single place and manage it in a way that works for you. This level of flexibility is what gives OneNotes the power it has and its popularity.

Cons

OneNotes tend to have a different layout between the online version and the downloaded version. This might bring some confusion to some users. Microsoft is moving more towards the cloud, and until this becomes the norm and their downloadable applications can mimic the cloud experience, there might be a bit of a learning curve.

André L.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 7/05/2021

A perfect substitute for your old Notepad

On my business side, it is a way to organize all my tasks, users, passwords, network paths, serial numbers, servers names, it is easy to find the information that I want, the idea of notes works very well on the business side. Therefore, I use it on my personal life as well, to organize my grocery shopping, some budgets, stocks price, passwords and users from portals, sites. It is a secure tool provided by Microsoft.

Pros

Easy to use, has very good functionalities, it is totally integrated with the Microsoft Office programs, are the information are stored on the cloud, I can edit something on my computer and continue it on my mobile or tablet.

Cons

It is not so easy to use on the beggining, till you get the idea of create "notes" inside it, I know a lot of people which did not migrate to this tool because of this.

Notepad++

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

It comes with Microsoft Office, it is a must have for most of the companies of the world, it is always a good idea stick with a product that you already have paid for it.
Ashik R.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 6/02/2022

Incredible application for note and document management.

For online task management or taking notes on business meetings, this is very intuitive and useful. It actually saved some time in arranging the meeting notes. Arranging and compiling clients data has become more convenient after using this application.

Pros

This software came with Microsoft 365 subscription. The features are very convenient to deal with. Taking any notes online is just a work of few seconds. The added task can be managed and the notes can be separated at ease. There is option for distinguishing the notes in arranging by sub order.Also, different types of annotation in different color can be added in files. The OCR is also a great addition to OneNote. The cloud backup is secured and saves a lot of time.

Cons

Sometimes,while taking notes in online meetings,it lags a bit. In working with bigger files,the pen sometimes do not change even after clicking.

Notepad++

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft OneNote

Zoho lacked some annotation features.

Zoho Notebook

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft 365 offered better integration and compact features.
Mevasoa benjaniana R.
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Reviewed on 5/03/2022

The best free note-taking application

With regards to picking the best note-taking application, there are two clear victors: Microsoft OneNote and Evernote. Both are PCMag Editors' Choices, and both have pluses and minuses. OneNote is greatly improved assuming you need a free application. Evernote has an alternate construction that makes it simpler to sort out, tag, find, and offer data, insofar as you're willing to follow through on its precarious cost. While the accompanying survey of OneNote is anything but a no holds barred correlation with Evernote, it's hard not to match them up in at minimum in a couple of regards. In general, and contrasted and all the other things available, OneNote is obviously one of the most outstanding note-taking applications. Whether you'll favor it to Evernote comes down to what you esteem in an application and how you use it.Can be slow and burdensome
Not really good or bad sharing choices
Web trimmer requirements improvement.

The amount Does OneNote Cost?

To utilize OneNote, you want some sort of Microsoft account, yet it doesn't need to be paid. Only having a free Outlook.com login will do.

OneNote is accessible to download for nothing on Android, iOS, macOS, and Windows. There's likewise a web application. You can involve it for nothing with practically no component limitations. You in all actuality do get a modest bunch of additional elements like Sticker and Math-assuming you have a paid Microsoft account. Free OneNote clients get 5GB of space.

Pros

Rich with highlights
Can separate text from pictures
Liberal free form
A lot of capacity
Condition settling

Cons

Can be slow and cumbersome
Not terrible, but not great either sharing choices
Web trimmer necessities improvement

Mohd N.

Reviewed on 6/03/2019

A centralized location for all your notes

Currently, I used OneNote to organized my meeting's notes and to attach them into an email so it's easy for me to send it to my colleagues. This is sometimes very useful when you are in hurry and wanted to inform what are the points were discussed in the meeting. Secondly, it is also very convenient to use it on all the platforms whether I wanna use it on my phone or my computer. I am exploring more ways as this is a powerful tool and has very few limitations which make it value for money.

Pros

it gives you the ability to create your notes as you create on a physical notebook, moreover, this notebook can be accessed from anywhere as long as you have access to the internet. The most unique part of OneNote is you can add multimedia and create your documents as much presentable as want. These documents can also be shared with others like your friends or colleagues, it would make this software as a one-stop solution for most of the writing and editing of your notes. I used many older versions of OneNote and then after upgrading to new versions of OneNote I came to know that your older note will not get erased. you can also use OneNote app for your smartphones which makes easier to modify your changes or to view any documents on the go.

Cons

One thing I would ever want in OneNote is the integration between various platforms, Currently, Onenote allows you to create notes or documents to share it with only OneNote users, whereas if I want to share it with Evernote users it will not give me an option for that. Moreover, I can not even import Evernote's documents notes into OneNote or vice versa. There are other ways through which you can do it but for that one has to download a migration tool. The security is also one of the issues which I always take into consideration when creating any personal note where I wanted it to be encrypted with a password. There should be some ways into OneNote where you can have a personal space which can be used for those secure documents.

Jeremy B.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

Message to Self: Use Microsoft OneNote for Messages to Self

Whether I’m at home, or somewhere out in the wilds, Microsoft OneNote allows me to record all the things I need to remember, by text, speech, or photo. Because my memory is awful, I appreciate any tool that mitigates the pain of having lost my thoughts, and my mind, in the process. Having convenient folders in which to sort and store my thoughts, while creepy, is also pretty handy. But the best part is having a cloud connection between my phone and desktop. If I need to snap a picture of a research item and label it while I’m out for a walk, I can be sure I can retrieve it on my desktop when I get home. This requires having the downloadable app on my phone, of course, but when it’s free, it’s worth it. Because I already have it installed on my desktop (through my Microsoft Office 2013 suite), I don’t have to pay to use either. Not having to pay extra for an item I already own is always a good thing.

Pros

Folders can be labeled, so there’s no risk in confusing items. All notes are also labeled, so it’s easy to identify which note is which (as long as you give it a label you can identify). This makes categorizing notes simple and efficient. Files can also store text, photos, and audio recordings, so you don’t have to think on your feet when trying to record a note. Just use whichever input is most relevant to your situation. Cloud transfers from mobile to desktop are pretty smooth.

Cons

Compared to other notetaking software, it’s pretty basic. Sometimes notes are dumped into a global pile where you have to manually sort them. This isn’t a big deal, but it can add to your organizing time. (It’s also possible I’m using it wrong, but that in of itself is a con if auto-sorting isn’t intuitive.) Retrieving pictures for posting or editing is also more trouble than it’s worth. For the average user, the simplicity OneNote offers is fine. For dedicated researchers, a more robust platform like Evernote may be better suited.