Freedcamp Reviews

About Freedcamp

Freedcamp is a project management solution for large organizations in markets including advertising, architecture, engineering, interior design, IT services, manufacturing, retail, telecommunications, and many more. The system is...

4.7

Browse Freedcamp Reviews

Carlos
Carlos
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Great tool for any size company

Pros

It is easy to use even for non-tech people and offers the possibility to connect all your work with other platforms where the team usually keep their files and program their activities like dropbox or gdrive and gcalendar, so, is very useful to have this conectivity

Cons

Some free features were moved only for subscription accounts without notice, anyway, the subscription is not expensive but some notification would be appreciated.

monday.com and Bitrix24

Reasons for Choosing Freedcamp

Redboot change the free accounts to make them useless for teams with more than 2 people

Redbooth

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

It is easy to use and add new features that my team needs including the mobile app.

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Freedcamp is a great project management tool that allows teams to collaborate.

Overall Freedcamp is great tool for project management.

Pros

Using the entry-level (free) set up covers a lot of needs for most uses. This allows you to use the software and learn what works and doesn't for your team and fully gauge the need for paid services.

Cons

Expanding their add-ons to a variety of applications is probably the biggest issue. Though not a huge blocker, it opens up the application to be used by more companies already mid-stride in their business decisions. For example, Freshbooks integrates with the invoicing application but it takes some work to get Quickbooks to do so.

ClickUp and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Freedcamp

For the money, Basecamp didn't deliver anything particularly special that many less expensive applications offer.

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

It fit our needs better.

Reviewed on 7/03/2018

Not the most flexible tool on the market

It helped us in our earlier stages of project management and team alignment

Pros

We used Freedcamp for a few months and it really helped us align our team's projects and tasks. Intuitivne and easy to use, it did the job it was supposed to do.

Cons

It's too basic. You cannot edit project phases - there are only 3 basic stages : to do, in progress, done. If your team is practicing scrum, you see the problem. I think it's a good tool to start with, but as your appetites and team's projects get more complex, it will become obsolete.

Response from Freedcamp

We think that each task can be only in progress, not in progress or completed but true - not in progress task can have a clarification sub-status like 'waiting for a feedback' or 'postponed' and we do consider adding sub-statuses in the future.

Things like Testing, Review - task lusts can be used to handle. task in Testing task list will still be in progress, not started or completed because if you set it as status you will never know if actual testing phase not started, in progress or completed.

To handle this in Kanban view we plan to allow to switch Kanban view to show columns as task lists in addition to by status available now.

Hope it helps what is planned and what to expect.

Cheers,
Igor

Replied 8/03/2018

Top Freedcamp Alternatives

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Almost perfect, but not quite

Pros

When you get down to it, it is pretty simple. I've had to spend more time than i prefer on setup. Wish there was a service for that piece.

Cons

It has been a beast to implement and drive users to the tool. The lag in updates hurts us as times when new things are added, we have to wait a solid 2-3 min before they show up for the team. This lag is just enough time for "i don't see it on my freedcamp" emails.

I also wish there was a better way to limit view to team members. This is what is on your plate today, period.

Google Workspace, Slack and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Freedcamp

I prefer the gaant or list view, tiles don't give me a good overview of everything moving.

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

My project managers chose this tool based on their research for what they needed.
Ryan
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 4/08/2020

A well balanced mix of features

I’ve implemented and used Freedcamp to run my own projects and several for my clients in industry and Govt for several years now.

I find it consolidates project tracking, communication & file management brilliantly - and in a very user friendly manner.

Pros

Compared to its competitors, I’ve liked that
- it consolidates several features that typically get spread across multiple products.
- the mix of features however are not overwhelming, as can happen with a few others like Clickup
- it’s usually immediately useable and understood even by non technical users
- their free tier is very generous

Cons

2 features I wish were available more cheaply
- the Gantt chart
- mindmaps (though this one is a “nice to have”)

Trello and ClickUp

Consolidation of features

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

It sits perfectly in the middle of the spectrum between these 2 products, in terms of features and ease of use
Shaun

Reviewed on 7/08/2020

Without Freedcamp I wouldn't be able to handle the flow of projects.

I've never had an issue with Freedcamp, it does what it says on the tin!

Pros

Gantt Chart functionality and issue tracker. The widget page is great to see an overview of all tasks.

Cons

The Gantt Chart functionality could be improved for shifting tasks around in a group, by drag and drop instead of a shift by x days.

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Cost and a lot of functionality is baked into the main product offering such as the gantt chart.
Leonardo
Leonardo

Reviewed on 7/11/2019

Outstanding Project Management Tool

Pros

I've tested a lot of pm's in the last decade or so, lately from new kids on the block to stablished one's, and I can say, Freedcamp is THE best investment I made in my business.

When you open the tool, things just work, the flow just makes sense, and everything you need to manage a project is there. If you need more power, you can activate the add-ons, or if you have a simple project, you can deactivate them.

The bug-tracker is awesome, and it was a game changer for us, when you use it with the email in feature. It's possible to set an email per project, task, subtask or the bug tracker, and have everything within one dashboard.

Really awesome PM tool. My search is over!

Cons

Nothing I can point, this tool really have everything we need.

Megan
Megan

Our preferred Project management tool

Pros

We manage complicated product on boarding projects with sometimes 50 tasks, hundreds of comments and documents that we need to keep organized. This is our preferred communication tool. You receive and email every time the project is updated and can assign tasks. You get daily recaps on each board. Currently managing 23 betas using this program.

Cons

Learning how to work it was challenging for me (we had so many projects just finding them was hard even using the search tool) but I got the hang of it

Chirag
Chirag

Reviewed on 8/09/2020

All-In-One Project Management Tool

Pros

It's a solid platform without any glitches and errors. It has many features but I personally like their bulk task creation, you can import a list from an excel file and create tasks in bulk, don't know of many PM tools that have this feature. It also many other 3rd party integrations and works seamlessly.

Cons

There is a learnig curve and I feel like Freedcamp UI/UX isn't updated as per the current trends. There are so many things you can do with this tool but it's overwhelming.

Plutio and Trello

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Integrations and ability to import tasks in bulk.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 1/07/2020

Easy to use and flexible organization managing software

Pros

Freedcamp is very inexpensive and easily adaptable to any organisation.

Cons

The frequent email reminders and its browser-based system is less suitable for me. However, it also has an application that would solve most of these issues. In my case, however, due to my organisation I am not allowed to install such software on my work laptop.

Trello and Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Ultimately Freedcamp provides more or less the same features as these products but much reduced in price.
EW
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 7/08/2020

For small organizations, this is a great free option

Pros

I'm a freelancer working with several different clients. I use Freedcamp with clients who aren't already using another project-management service, and the free version gives me everything I need. My clients don't take to it immediately; they prefer to rely on email for most communication and file-sharing, but for my own personal projects or for working with subcontractors, I like the file-sharing capabilities and the calendar integrations. Filling out an honest survey about why Freedcamp has been a useful solution is the very least that I can do to thank them for keeping a free option for the platform, so here I am!

Cons

I wish that I didn't have to pay to get the ability to copy projects, but it was smart business for them to withhold that from the free service, because I've *almost* broken down and gotten it. But I'm a penny-pincher, so I'm holding out. I also still haven't quite figured out how to get global teams working quite right, but that's probably on me!

Google Workspace, Trello and Slack

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

I often say that I have a PC brain and that I just don't think in Apple. The same is true about project-management services. I "got" Freedcamp in a way that I didn't "get" Trello and other services. Some of them had way too many choices and customizations, and I couldn't get a free option with others. It was free to try Freedcamp, and I've never needed anything else.
Brandon

Simple and Highly Effective

Freedcamp has helped solve our disconnect on projects among different teams within our company. It has allowed everyone a space to work together and collaborate online while also organizing all of our projects. Eliminating threads of emails back and forth internally or to clients has been a blessing and has allowed our team to work more efficiently and effectively.

Pros

From day one, Freedcamp was extremely easy to use. Adapting to a new project management system can sometimes be difficult, but Freedcamp was seamless. There are some great features which allow users to stay on-task and organized and allow team members to communicate internally or directly with clients on projects. The variety of interfaces and views are also a plus!

Cons

Finding completed projects on Freedcamp can be rather intensive. We have been using Freedcamp for about 2 years and we occasionally need to refer to an old project which takes valuable time to find which I feel could be improved. There seems to be a variety of ways to find a completed project, but all take too much time.

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

The ease of use and simple interface. Some of the alternatives were a bit more intimidating in comparison and we were looking for simplicity.
Alessandro

Reviewed on 2/08/2020

One of our best friend

Our team works better and deliver more project in time

Pros

There are a lot of interesting features in the free version, but when you are ready to pay, you will discover the full functionality of this tool.

Cons

Maybe Freedcamp has not the best design in terms of usability, but you will get used to work with it after a couple of weeks

Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Freedcamp

Price, because our team was growing and the price too

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Incredible offer during the black friday and we were already using Freedcamp (free version)
Scott

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

Lifeline for a busy creative team with no budget

Freedcamp allows me to easily organize upwards of 400 projects a year with anywhere from 8-20 tasks per project while providing an easy view for my team of the various tasks they need to take on each day.

Pros

Even as a free user, the Freedcamp team does not hesitate to provide me with support when I need it and even helps me to improve my processes with workarounds for features that are available in the paid product.

Cons

I would like to have more ability to customize the system for my use, but I'm not one who can speak well to this as I have yet to get authorization to upgrade beyond the free version, so I know my functionality is limited.

Łukasz
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Reviewed on 4/08/2020

Easy to use and straight to the point

I've been using freedcamp for over 3 years and set up home and my small business projects. Even inviting my parents was very easy and they didn't have problems using the software.
The interface is very clear and intuitive - you get exactly the results you expect. The calendar view is very useful to see upcoming tasks at a glance.
Also most of the interface is quite compact - no unneeded spaces allows to show more taks on the screen (save for mentioned "Add Task" field)
Overall I'm very satisfied with the software. It has everything I need without overwhelming me with unwanted features.

Pros

- clear layout,
- ease of assigning dates, teammembers and priorities to taks,
- helpful reminders
- mobile app
- layered task help to organize the project
- intuitive to set up and use.

Cons

- no second sorting parameter (sort by X then by Y). Unhiding completed tasks can lead to unsorted mess of a list.
- sorting by progress only sorts first task list in the project, the others don't sort.
- every task list features a large bar below to enter new taks. This takes to much screen real estate and prolongs the view of the project.

Asana and TimeCamp Planner

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Freedcamp offers great deal of features even in free plan.
Alex

Reviewed on 30/11/2021

Free-camp is a wonderful project management software for Freelancers and small businesses

I have been using Freedcamp for 4 or 5 years, i started using it because unlike many other similar tools, there is no restrictions about the clients or members. In fact, all this time i have used the free version and it has helped me to get organized and focus

Pros

I was looking for a project management tool that would keep my projects and tasks organized in one place and I found this. Freedcamp is an online project management software that gives you the ability to manage all your clients's tasks in one place. The best part about this tool is that the free version is very generous.

Cons

If you need some specific functions you would need to pay some addons, other than that, if you are a freelancer, the free version will be enough.

Ed
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 24/06/2020

Just right, not too much, not too little.

So far great.

Pros

I chose this because other packages are WAY too bloated with features I didn't need but could not avoid and a some packages are simply too stripped down to be any more useful than pen and paper. Freedcamp has a ton of features but you can ignore the ones you're not interested in. User interface is the most approachable of any task software I've used.

Cons

I wanted more ability to manually order tasks on a list. I need due dates but I also need to juggle stuff around by simply clicking and dragging. Freed camp is set up a bit too rigid. if I give something a due date, it wants to order by due date and then tasks without due dates get lost in the shuffle. While looking at the ordered list, I want to be able to click and drag something to the top to give it priority. But you can't without changing the order setting in the menu, which then changes EVERYTHING in the list, not just the one you care about. #2 - I'd love to be able to do some fast edits of a task (like text) right in the list view without having to fully open the task. #3 - The right column with easy drag and drop due dates, priorities, and progress is a GREAT feature. Would be even better if it included user generated "tags". You have a tags feature but not in that column. #4 - in the "projects" view pane, each individual project takes up too much space forcing me to scroll through them. Would love an option to simplify the view so it's a quick text list that is more likely to fit on one page. #5 - Calendar view is great. Would be helpful if on the "month" and "week" view I could see the entire task name by hovering the mouse over the task. Month view truncates the text string so small it's hard to know what it is from just a few words.

• Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Freedcamp for Higher Ed IT Project Management

It just works and helps minimize the amount of communication overhead with team members when compared with other products. If you've used a social networking platform and a task list, you can use Freedcamp.

Pros

The value proposition for the price was outstanding. Core desired features are included without a mandatory subscription at the highest level. Licensing is also based on role and flexible use. This keeps operational costs low .

Cons

There is a lack of task dependencies/linking unless leveraging the highest edition if the product. Also, areas of the UX make performing bulk operations difficult (e x: mass assignment of status/priority/assignee)

Trello, Microsoft Project and Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing Freedcamp

Price and better UX adoption.

Smartsheet

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Ease of use. Functionality. Price.
Miguel

Reviewed on 10/03/2018

My Favorite Project Management Application

Freedcamp is an amazing tool that works well in small businesses with no need for Program or Portfolio Management. Managing multiple projects at that level might not be an easy thing to do. I track a dozen projects at any given time, but my business structure is simple and does not rely on overly complex resource allocations or time management... I am a small shop managing projects as needed, keeping tabs on time spent for billing, and track of tasks to be completed. Freedcamp does provide a means of tracking milestones as well and fits the bill to my exact business needs. From what I can see with my daily use, Freedcamp can be cumbersome in environments with heavy development. It does not provide for defect management, testing, etc. It is a task board that can be customized to fit many needs, but definitely not an enterprise tool.

Pros

Freedcamp provides a flexible and effective pricing structure to fit any business needs, including a free account. The list of standard features alone are impressive: shared file management, tasks, discussion boards, calendar, message boards, unlimited users, projects and storage, even time tracking... a feature that is often considered a premium with other project management applications. It has a pleasant UI which makes it easy to use. Even the setup is easy. Most of all, it provides customization at each project level. The home page now offers a dashboard that displays specific information for each logged in user. Get a bird's eye view of your work, updates, projects and weekly calendar overview on a single page to start off your day. Want an even more customized experience? Head straight to the widgets and create your own dashboard tailored to your specific needs. Freedcamp also provides the ability to change the display of many pages to a different view (i.e. view projects as cards or as a list).

Cons

I use the free account because it provides me with all the features I find essential for my simple business structure. But, it would be nice if there was some sort of basic or simple reporting features at this level. Unfortunately, reporting is only part of their paid subscription. But their pricing is low enough that it is actually worth forking out the extra few bucks. For as long as I have been using Freedcamp, I have not yet encountered anything else I would consider a con, as it has provided me with a solution to all of my project management needs. I do not work with Program or Portfolio Management, so I am not sure if Freedcamp provides such level of management. Based on their features list, this does not appear to be something Freedcamp has been designed to do. But if Program or Portfolio Management is not a part of your environment, Freedcamp is definitely worth looking into.

Rob
  • Industry: Design

Perfect Contract Work Organizer

I couldn’t do what i do without it!!

Pros

I have been using Freedcamp for years now. I have worked with large advertising companies and marketing firms all while maintaining my own contract side-hustle. The large companies use sophisticated software like Basecamp which can take awhile to fully learn and can be confusing with multiple people interacting across departments.

For myself, i love Freedcamp because of its simplicity (based on my settings) and ability to quickly view open tasks and where my daily priorities are.

Cons

Not much option for customization. Like having a dark theme. I have sensitive eyes and my Mac is all dark themed. So viewing FC for extended time tends to cause me to squint.

Also, it would be nice to be able to have an avatar/logo for each client (task) for a more visual experience.

Reasons for Switching to Freedcamp

Cost and simplicity for the single user.
Jeremy
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Freedcamp Review

Freedcamp has allowed us as a team to work 10x more efficiently, ensuring clients are happy.

Pros

Freedcamp is an incredible tool for keeping projects on track and ensuring deadlines are met. It allows you as a producer to worry less about remembering those notes you wrote down in a notebook, knowing that your project is being tracked.

Cons

Freedcamp does not update as often as I would like. Software should constantly be changing to stay relevant with trends and industry needs.

Basecamp

Response from Freedcamp

Hi Jeremy

Thanks for your review!

Freedcamp is updated every 2 weeks and multiple times in between for bug fixes and small tweaks.
If you have something in mind we did not implement - please feel free to use https://freedcamp.uservoice.com

Please let us know how we can improve support - I searched any requests from you - found none and I am not sure why our support was valued with 3 stars :) Any extra details will be super useful.

Thanks,
Igor

Replied 23/09/2019

Reviewed on 4/10/2021

Excellent project management features and customer support.

Pros

Freedcamp is simply a pleasure to use, bringing projects to life. Projects can be managed in one place, without having to jump between multiple disconnected programs. From Todo/Task lists, Milestones, Time Tracking, Invoicing, the ability to Invite other users into a project and so much more. It's constantly evolving too, with features regularly being added and updated. Customer support is super responsive, which is a standout feature in its own right.

Cons

It's difficult to find a negative to be honest but I guess it would be that that it's updated quite regularly (via regular scheduled slots), which creates an access issue for me personally sometimes. The developers do choose quiet times to do this however since I'm in the UK (and they aren't), due to the time difference I often find myself unable to use it on a Saturday morning whilst updates are being pushed. The slight inconvenience is still a small price to pay for what has become one of my favourite programs.

Shawn
  • Industry: Utilities

Daily Project Management

Pros

The visual kanban organization of "tasks" as well as the cloud base access drew me in to using this software. I use this to manage customer queries for engineering requests under a single "project". I create ~250 new requests each year while continuing to close/service ~ 90 old requests that require revisions. Freedcamp allows me to add notes internal to each task as well as externally add visual subtasks for immediate daily status updates of the active engineering request tasks. The task kanbans get moved between three existing columns: NoProgress, InProgress and Completed for immediate status feedback.

Cons

My use case has been adapted to the software organization limits to limit the data input overhead of assigning each engineering request as a "task" to each engineer to work on. The software is better organized to handle long term "projects" than my numerous engineering tasks. However, I have made it work within Freedcamp but I realize that my use case is not the typical project management scenario.

Martha
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 21/05/2019

The best free to use project management software!

It's been great. I haven't had any problems and the information they give you on their website is true. It is 100% free.

Pros

Freedcamp is, to put it simply, AWESOME. I've tried so many project management software and freedcamp is by far my favorite. It is free, easy to use, intuitive for my clients, and full of so many great features!

These features include task lists, the ability to assign tasks to clients, due dates, item priority levels, reminders for upcoming deadlines, communication with clients, file management, & so much more.

I have more than 40 projects on the free version and it has made my jobs go so much more smoothly. My clients are happy and so am I!

The paid options are also great if you need a more robust project management software.

Cons

The one feature I would love to have is the ability to create a project that has all the items I use for every client and duplicate that project for each new client. Right now I have to set up a new project each time. I believe this may be a feature of the paid version that I have not tested out yet!

Response from Freedcamp

Hi Martha,

Thank you for a review!

You can copy tasks and tasks lists from one project to another on all paid plans

You can copy projects on the Business plan https://freedcamp.com/Freedcamp_LxR/Freedcamp_Devel_yOf/wiki/wiki_public/view/Ogaab

You can import template tasks from XLS on all plans - https://freedcamp.com/Freedcamp_LxR/Freedcamp_Devel_yOf/wiki/wiki_public/view/zxbab

Replied 23/05/2019
Ernesto Enrique
Ernesto Enrique
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 29/12/2018

Very good task manager for entrepreneurs

In general it is the best application to handle tasks, work teams and projects if you are an entrepreneur. I stopped using it because I needed some features like custom statuses and custom labels. Unfortunately they added them when I had already moved to another application

Pros

I used this software for more than 4 years and was in love since its first use. If you are looking for a simple task manager to keep track of all your pending tasks, Freedcamp is undoubtedly your best option. You can manage your tasks by lists and projects, have as many projects as you want, even in its free version, manage users at your whim, filters, export tasks or entire projects. Freedcamp has instant synchronization with Google Calendar and now they added the integration feature with Zapier or you can develop your own API connection.

Cons

Something I do not like is the invoice manager, missing features that do have others, there is no continuity in the user interface, some features were added over time and look different and finally the mobile application, it still needs a lot of work.