About Rain POS

Rain is an all-in-one point-of-sale, website, and marketing system for small to midsized retailers. Music, dive, sporting goods, paddle, craft, sewing, quilting, and clothing boutiques will find Rain is an excellent fit for...

Browse Rain POS Reviews

105 of 173,880 reviews
Travis T.

Reviewed on 19/12/2020

Excellent for Music Stores!

Overall we have been extremely pleased with our choice to switch to Rain in 2018 for our point of sale and website. The product is incredibly user friendly, can be used on any device (not tied to a license on one desktop machine like other systems) and support is great.

One area other shops have asked us about is QuickBooks exports. We don't use that much, but other stores seem to be very reliant on those exports, which they say are lacking in Rain. Again, not a direct complaint from me, but one that I hear about on industry forums & from direct messages. We were a somewhat early adapter of Rain in our industry and are relatively connected in our industry & repair organization, so we seem to field a lot of inquiries about the program. We have recommended the product to quite a few other shops and want to make sure that it fits their accounting needs as well.

Pros

We've had a great experience thus far using the Rain point of sale program. The initial training was extremely in depth and helped us grasp all of the features before implementation. We love the product integration with Reverb.com and the fact that our inventory remains cohesive across online and in-store platforms. Online & phone support is quick & helpful. Rain has also been very helpful designing and updating our website, which is tied into the point of sale. They are constantly improving, updating and listening to customer suggestions to make their product even better.

Cons

One feature that is extremely helpful in our industry (music store) but missing from Rain, is a Maintenance Agreement/Service Contract module. We were disappointed it was not available when we switched to Rain, since we used that feature daily with AIMsi. We have found some halfway workarounds in Rain, but would like a more robust integrated module. Ideal features would be: MA identifier on serialized instruments in Work Orders module, ability to auto-send renewal emails to customers when their annual MA is expiring, MA batch operations for large inventories of instruments (many of the schools we service have 200-400 instruments that we maintain on MA's annually).

Quickbooks Online and Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

AIMsi was very antiquated and not user friendly. Support was spotty and typically condescending. At the time there was no seamless website integration and we were tied to licenses on desktop machines. That is not very useful when we're on the road at a school and need to access our POS.

AIM

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

Overall features: website/online platform integration, ease of use, extensive initial training and mobile friendly platform.
Roger N.

Reviewed on 7/02/2020

Switched to Rain from Lightspeed

Overall pleased with RAIN and glad we made the switch. A bit more thought into easier workflow within the Register, Special Order and LayAway screens and it will be a force to reckon with.

I was hoping for an easier eCom experience, but that is not what I received. Much like other POS Systems that offer an integrated eCom Site...building out the site and making it look the way we want doesn't follow the basic HTML buildout process. As a web developer for over 20 years...I find the eCom platform to be VERY challenging to use and often times VERY discouraging. I can see they worked hard to have the functionality be similar to other CMS Website Platforms (Wix, WordPress, etc), but it's too confusing to navigate effectively taking up valuable time.

Pros

Integrated Marketing
Automatic "pushing" of items to our Reverb.com Account
Lightweight on system resources on our iMac's

Cons

Special Order Workflow is clunky and needs to be simplified. We've resorted to using the "Quote" option to better manage Special Orders and ring in total sales under a "Gift Card" first. That way when working with multiple vendors on a special order, we have easier use of customer funds when "finalizing" the deal.
Register is Average and would prefer ability to see cost of products on screen.
In Register - when scanning duplicate items they get entered as "new" line item versus adding to the SKU already input.
Can't us an IR Gun on an iPad when scanning incoming inventory or during inventory counts.
Layaway Screen has some great features, but workflow is a bit convoluted.
Website build out is horribly confusing and NOTHING follows traditional HTML processes. This was the same problem with Lightspeed's eCom platform - hard to work with and no sense of workflow.

Shopify POS and Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

Price at first - Lightspeed wanted us to pay 40% MORE than we did previously and provide us less.

Shopify POS and Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

Price, integrated marketing features and the ability to "push" items to Reverb.com.
Kim S.

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Rain Point if Sale has taken our small business to the next level!

Rain Point of Sale has allowed us to expand our online sales exponentially, and allowed our inventory to be accurate and dependable. It is a huge reason why our business has flourished in the last two years!

Pros

I am super happy with how my point of sale is integrated with my online sales and inventory. The product is easy for staff to understand and navigate, and errors can be corrected when necessary. The ability to access the software remotely is a huge plus, I can keep track from anywhere, or assist staff with sales or inventory when I am not in the building. The reports are easy to access, and accurate for accounting purposes, and provide us with the tools we need for planning for the future. The customer service is amazing, and I have always been able to solve any problems I’ve had with one phone call!

Cons

We are Canadian site, and the cashing in procedure does not allow us to use our coins, and therefore we don’t use the cash in/cash out component. That is my only complaint!

Top Rain POS Alternatives

Kim S.

Reviewed on 13/09/2021

User Friendly

Pros

Customer support. Software is easy to understand after basic lessons.

Cons

Something that seems would be an easy fix, never gets fixed. Example: Having the capability of being able to put "coming soon" or "pre-order now" on items that can go into our POS system, but because of containers stuck in the LA harbor, we just don't have items. We don't want our customers to think we can never get these items in (especially high ticket items like machines - they will go shop someplace else)

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

Wanted both stores on the same system.

Sharon P.

Reviewed on 6/10/2021

Control your Business

We have found using the employee time clock to be most useful.

Pros

Knowing what your inventory is. To be competitive in today’s world, on line sales are a must.

Cons

Integration was time consuming as we had a large inventory to start. The more we learn about the software the happier we are.

Steven C.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 10/08/2018

Great POS

We have been with Rain POS from the beginning and the improvements have been great. Customer service is very good. Very pleased overall.

Pros

Very easy to use and get employees up to speed quickly. Lots of features to improve sales and inventory control.

Cons

All the features can be a bit overwhelming at first but if you start with the basics, its easy to add additional features as you go along.

Chris D.

Reviewed on 4/05/2021

A lifesaver during COVID-19

Relatively easy to implement and the support staff helped with all the snags along the way.

Pros

Rain and the integration with Reverb was the number one factor in our ability to stay in business in 2020 and going forward.

Cons

Some updates can be slow to roll out and these can be on critical issues.

Daniel E.

Reviewed on 9/12/2020

Great at some things, not great at other things

Generally okay. first line support staff is very helpful and relatively easy to reach. Sales staff makes lots of lofty promises that are slow to be fulfilled. Developers are jerks.

Pros

integrated POS and e-commerce website. web based makes it functional on any computer type. RTO module is nice.

Cons

Special Orders/Purchase Orders/Receiving Orders is grossly deficient. Reporting is not great. Prominent bugs in website text in regard to special characters. Lacks flexibility in some of the website design options. No rotation option for product photos. Label printing is terrible. No dimension option for shipping calculations.

Angel G.

Reviewed on 22/07/2021

Pros

putting products on the website was easy but switching where they go throughout the website is not

Cons

changing it sometimes it can be difficult to change the website.

Jennifer T.

Reviewed on 10/05/2021

Pros

Ease of use and customer service are absolutely superb.

Cons

Template choice for email marketing would really be nice

Roxanne H.

Reviewed on 16/03/2021

The team at Rain are very responsive and helpful when I reach out.

Pros

As a not so tech savvy person, I found this software easy to learn and teach. I love the walk-thru education option and have used it many times.

Cons

Since I haven't been using it to its fullest extent, I can't really say that there is anything that I don't like about it.

Tami C.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 28/07/2018

Never worked, horribly inaccurate migration of sales history

Unfortunately, all I got was a whole lot of wasted time and a loss of money for absolutely nothing. I really wanted it to work, and it might have, had they been able to migrate my sales history.

Pros

my contact was really nice.
I was very excited about the integration aspects of the software, unfortunately I was never able to use them.

Cons

I was initially assured our sales history could be migrated. Later I received an email saying it could not. I responded that was unacceptable and I did not wish to continue with the software. It is useless to us without it. I was reassured if I exported the data in the correct formats, it would work. We spent three days checking the data to assure a high level of accuracy and sent it in the requested formats. I was told the migration team would take care of the rest. Untrue. We spent weeks, rechecking the data which was horrifically incorrect. We sent several punch lists. Some of the errors were fixed but often we were told "we don't know why this is happening". Even simple yes/no columns in our spreadsheets were randomly incorrect. Were we told we would just have to manually check all the data; over 3000 customers and 19000 sales receipts. We worked for three months, 100s of hours and have never been able to go live due to all of the errors. I couldn't enter employees in the system without them being an administrator, which they classified as a "glitch" and told me to use a different computer than the one at work. I have desperately tried to get these issues corrected. When I requested a refund they said the fees were non-refundable after the migration is complete. My migration was never complete and I requested not to continue with them if they were unable to migrate my sales history, before they started the migration. This system did not work as advertised and sold to me.

Henry M.

Reviewed on 16/06/2021

Ok at first, but got worse

Pros

We need the ability to sale fractional quantities of products and Rain allowed that. We liked having multiple users logged in at once. We only have one register, but someone could be logged in making quotes or receiving inventory.

Cons

The sending email address for receipts/invoices could not be changed and either went to spam or never arrived at all. They only integrate with one credit card merchant. Sales and profit reports are not calculated correctly. You can run those reports in two areas and the numbers don't match. You can't edit an invoice once it is saved. You can't setup custom payment methods. The cash till is always messing up. You can't setup customer groups for reporting or special pricing. You can't export all of your sales info and notes, so if you decide to move to another POS, you won't be able to have all of your past sales information.

Sandra R.

Reviewed on 1/07/2021

My quilt shop website

My team has been so impressive! Every one has been wonderful beyond any expectations! Thank you to each and every one of them!!!

Pros

I love that a team of experts got everything set up and ready to go for me. They walked me through every aspect of the process, and got everything ready to go live! These amazing professionals were patient and understood my level of ability. They helped with every aspect and answered all my questions, without hesitation. This has been a wonderful experience!!

Cons

nothing so far. It is a great product, and I am extremely satisfied.

Cheryl D.

Reviewed on 27/04/2021

Issues

Great help and support

Pros

Keeping track of inventory , able to make changes

Cons

Doesn’t always record fabric sales properly

Jan S.

Reviewed on 30/01/2020

like sew

Ease of communication

Pros

Check out and inventory is easier and employees caught on quickly

Cons

That not all companies are on board. It would be great if all companies (fabric and notions) were on board, Check in is so much easier

Karl M.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 20/03/2020

Rain Retail attempts browser-based POS, but it doesn't quite work.

I wish I could get some hours back that I spent entering new product variants. Antiquated desktop-based POS systems I've used in the past were far more functional and efficient.

Pros

The layouts were clean and simple. The customer support was generally responsive when we needed their help.

Cons

Adding new product variants was a herculean task. The browser-based architecture was a good idea but lacked the efficiency to make it responsive. Overall it was very laggy on all of our computers, new and old.

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

Fairly easy to use

Pros

My favorite feature about this program is your ability to take advantage of its touch screen

Cons

The only thing I think that this program could use is a couple more short cut apps to make navigation easier

Ken M.

Reviewed on 14/02/2017

Cloud computing with Rain POS... measure the risk

It would have been helpful to know all the risks of a POS cloud based system along with the ongoing costs. I believe Rain could do a better job at explaining the great inconvenience of a slower internet connection and no connection problems.

Sam G.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 30/01/2020

Like Sew POS Review

Overall we are happy with Rain/Like Sew. It gives us an easy to manage Web front end for our store that behind the scenes in completely integrated with our Brick & Mortar operation. Improvements are still needed in many areas - the system is a work in progress regularly rolling our new and improved functionality.

Pros

We bought it for the seamless integration of Web and Brick & Mortar inventory management, sales and ease of use. It works very well for this purpose.

Cons

It is ultimately POS and Inventory Management software with little Accounting functionality. Daily exports to QuickBooks or other software are required, with additional entries in the accounting s/w to accommodate accounting best practices, Taxes on Receiving orders, billing and other financial tasks not accommodated in Like Sew. There are still some issues with Sales, Shipping and Taxes in Canada, and there is no ability to set up multiple price levels internally

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

WIndward was an excellent ERP level system with integrated accounting, however, it was technically complex, did not integrate easily to a web site, would have cost a significant amount to integrate web and shop data for sales and inventory management, and incurred significant annual/recurring maintenance charges

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

Ease of use, simplicity of architecture, direct web integration and an offering specifically tailored to the sewing/quilting industry
Molly H.
  • Industry: Textiles

Reviewed on 13/09/2021

Rain/LikeSew vs GoDaddy

I am glad I took the plunge, put in the work, with the help of friends, and moved the shop over to Rain/LikeSew this past summer. It was worth the hard work and effort. I can now offer my customers specials and appreciation programs, keep up with inventory and manage files more efficiently.

Pros

LikeSew is more precise at managing my inventory and handling the day-to-day business of running my fabric store than GoDaddy ever was. I now know exactly how much inventory I have on hand and it's value and what categories it falls into.

Cons

There could be some improvements in the email marketing program and the inventory receipt areas.

Shopify POS

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

I had no control over inventory management and it was time to renew my GoDaddy products.

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

I had used Shopify at a friends business and I didn't like it.
Holly V.

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

Disappointed

It was a rough year and a half trying to operate a business with that many mistakes from their side.

Pros

I liked that the website and the inventory were combined. That people could see in real time what we had in stock and purchase online. That was nice and was one of the main features of why we went with Rain originally.

Cons

We spent a lot of time and money on Rain POS. It was the first online computer software company we ever used for point of sale. I spent an entire year in 2017 logging our entire inventory, coming up with pricing and pictures and history on every item. We went live in 2018 and by April 2019 we were done with the contract side and we closed out the point of sale side by the end of that year. Their inconsistences within the contract module were too high. And every time we called in to tech support, all they could tell us what that there was a "glitch" in the system and they couldn't fix it within a timely manner. I really felt like I was losing the trust of my customers because of Rain's mistakes.

AIM

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

Because of the umbrella effect: It linked our website with our store inventory in real time with our rental contracts. Everything was in one place. Sadly it was too good to be true.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Holly, thank you for taking time to share your experience with our POS software. Here at Rain, our main objective is helping small businesses like yours succeed, so the fact that you found us to be detrimental to your store is disheartening. We've been busy in the 12 months since you cancelled and have greatly improved our rent-to-own module. If you like, please contact us to see those enhancements.

Replied 9/12/2020
Bonita M.

Reviewed on 19/03/2021

Best software for quilting shops.

Positive all the way. Solutions are always there when we come up with something new or unique to sell. It really helps guide the way I do business.

Pros

Rain Pos is dependable, well priced with instantaneous software help. The company LISTENS to their clients, I can't emphasize this enough. My POS is with me everywhere, at the doctor, on vacation, in bed at night.

Cons

I would like an end of day report on products loaded into the system.

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

TRS was retiring their dos system.

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

It was designed for quilting. They understand all of the pins and needles.
Karen W.

Reviewed on 28/09/2021

Rain POS

It works pretty well for me with some things that I would like to change.

Pros

We have used Rain POS for many years. I appreciate that I can do so many facets of my business from one platform. POS, online sales, integrated inventory management, emails, and merchant services.

Cons

I would really like to have shipping integrated - when an order is placed, that it would be integrated with a shipping service like Shippo, which is what I use. The automatic emails would be useful if I could choose the products that were shown - like what is on sale. The automatic choices were so ridiculous - something old that was worthless in our system - instead of something we really wanted to promote.

Allen B.

Reviewed on 15/02/2017

A small business solution that is a head of the curve

We searched for over 3 years for an new point of sale that would fit our needs and allow us to expand in the future. It was important to have a seamless integration of our brick and mortar location and our online store. Rain really shines above all the other options with more functionality at an affordable price. This has allowed us to grow our online presence tremendously to help keep up with the ever growing online sales market. The continued software updates and helpful customer support makes for a personal and dedicated feel to helping our business thrive. We have recommend it to several other businesses and they have been thrilled as well. Thanks Rain!

Pros

Online and Brick and Mortar integration, extensive customer tracking, easy to customize website, efficient product ordering/receiving system

Cons

Updates can be slow to release, lacks a little in the reporting functionality