Todoist Reviews

About Todoist

Todoist is the world’s #1 task manager and to-do list app for professionals and small businesses. With a simple tap, you can add tasks, set reminders, enjoy multiple views such as calendar, list, and board, filter tasks by work...

Browse Todoist Reviews

2,414 of 2,414 reviews
Rikaz
Rikaz

Reviewed on 9/05/2022

An essential organization tool for self and teams!

Todoist has been a pleasure to use and I can't recommend it enough especially as a starting app for your teams.

Pros

Todoist has multiple features which make it easy to use.

The mobile app is minimal in design and easy to navigate. Setting up a task and sub-tasks, adding members, communicating with the team, & managing projects is just so easy. On Android there is even a widget to directly add tasks to the app.

The web app is equally up to the task of it's Android cousin having nearly all the features of the Android App.

Cons

Being a freemium service, Todoist requires users to pay for their premium services as well as being limited to 5 active projects, 5 collaborators per project, & 5 MB file uploads in the free version.

Any.do

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Todoist user interface was easier to use.

Any.do

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist takes the lead due to it's ease of use and better user interfaces.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Reviewed on 1/12/2022

Todoist: The Best Task Management App?

As self-employed creative professional, Todoist has greatly aided me in keeping track of disparate projects. Quick overviews, assigned tasks and reminders help me to get the job done, and not get overwhelmed.

Pros

The Todoist interface is attractive, and a real breeze to use. Being able to assign and add sub-tasks, plus things like Productivity visualizations make it a true productivity tracking app.

Cons

There could be stronger visual cues for when sub-tasks exist within a task.

monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Asana's interface was too cluttered and confusing.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

The free version of Todoist offered everything I needed, even with the free version.
Tiara

Reviewed on 6/06/2024

Best program for teamwork tracking

Pros

It allows collaborative task sharing which is great for team projects. I also like the fact that it’s available on all devices and software, which means it’s convenient to my whole team regardless of where they are working from (Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, etc.).

Cons

Some of the functionality is limited to only the premium plan, which includes some of the more collaborative features.

Top Todoist Alternatives

Laura

Reviewed on 10/09/2019

Easy To Use, Not So Easy To Organice

The founder of the company really likes it to keep track of what everyone is doing so I've been using it for the last 5 months (since I started in this company).
But anyway, I actually keep using the Notes App on Mac which is really similar to Todoist but I can keep my tasks private - which is something I wish I could do on Todoist, not sure if there is a way already but it's not very clear who can see what.

Pros

Me and my team really like how easy to use it is.
It helps keeping track of what needs o be done and lets other people know what's been completed.
It doesn't over complicate things and it's really good that you can have it on your phone and get updates on notifications.

Cons

I get that keeping it simple must be the main idea behind this app. However, I'd appreciate if some hierarchy could be applied when organising the tasks.
The way to organise projects on the left part could be, for example, group into folders so once a project is finished you could, for example, move it to an archive folder.

All the Karma points system and the notifications is a bit confusing or just not clear enough. Is it just to cheer you up when you've completed many tasks or has it got any actual purpose?

But the most important: I wish tasks wouldn’t disappear from my inbox right when I complete them.
I wish I could still see them (maybe in a lighter grey colour) so I see what I've completed and then I could manually move them into a project folder when I don't want to see them anymore.

Also, I'd appreciate if some type of colour coding could be applied in some way.

Petter
Petter
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organisation

Reviewed on 6/03/2024

A very good todo-list manager

Pros

I really like the fact that it is so very easy to use, and that, especially on a Mac, there are so many shortcuts, thus making adding a new task very quick.

Cons

I literally have nothing negative at all to say about this software, and that is rare!

zoie
zoie
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 20/12/2023

It's simply the BEST tool to get and stay organized.

Basically, there was life before Todoist and life after. I prefer the "after". Todoist has become an integral part of my day-to-day organizing and productivity. Both my personal and professional tasks and projects are on the app. I'm using it throughout the day to keep me on task. It has become essential and I've never had a glitch or problem. Highly recommend.

Pros

I love the really clean look of the app on all of my devices. It makes organizing and keeping track of Tasks and Projects easy, intuitive, and rewarding. I also love that Todoist is so easy to integrate with other software. I have it integrated with Google Calendar, Drafts, and Obsidian. Todoist has made my digital life organized, productive, and efficient. This is a great app.

Cons

Todoist is super easy to set up and use. It's very intuitive, but it also has some features that go beyond just the basics of a "To Do" list. The more advanced features like tags and categorizing will require a time investment to learn. If you want that level of organization it's worth the effort.

Andy
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 4/06/2024

Easy to use Task manager software

Pros

A lot of task managers can be overly complicated but Todoist has a minimal but powerful interface. Its one of my favorite task managers.

Cons

A like Todoist a lot but having more control over which fonts it uses would be nice.

Trello
Aiden

Reviewed on 3/06/2024

Basic and Works as Expected

Pros

Does what I need it to do. Works pretty well too!

Cons

The crime extension specifically is very buggy, and the ui could be improved.

Brandon
  • Industry: Broadcast Media
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 18/06/2024

Good to be in time..

Pros

Best things about it were basically the simple cut and dry features which helps a team or even a solo person stay on task and efficient and not complacent at the same time with alerts and everything else that comes along with being efficient.

Cons

I gotta say I'd like least about the app is the fact it cost at all im a frugal guy, dont like spending

Henry
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 1/05/2024

Fantastic Software

Overall my experience with Todoist is great, it is helpful and really helps with the organisation of my work life.

Pros

Todoist makes task management extremely easy, it is very helpful and really benefits my work life, it also saves me a lot of time.

Cons

I haven't used all of the features that Todoist provides, however, so far I have no complaints.

Scott

Reviewed on 1/08/2019

Intuitive product, quick to implement

I'm a proud premium member because the software does its job and doesn't get in my way. I use it for both my work and personal tasks, but separating the two out is really simple to do.

Pros

I've tried dozens of systems for my day-to-day tasks, and finally landed on Todoist a couple years ago. The natural language processing for entering in tasks makes it easy to type something in using the iOS app and pick up where I left off later on my Mac. Typing in a date automatically adds the date information, which means I can just type "add photo to new blog post tomorrow" and have the task on tomorrow's list without having to fiddle in menus.

As they say, it just works.

Cons

Things that "just work" tend to have their little nuances that mean sometimes it doesn't just work. Todoist is constantly pushing out updates behind the scenes through their server back-end, which means you're always on the latest version of the software even if you don't update the client software. Sometimes that means they move too fast and break things. There have been multiple occasions where the software suddenly doesn't work as expected and I have to wait a couple hours for them to push out a fix. Perhaps their testing procedures will meet enterprise expectations eventually, but this is normal for cloud services these days...

Kristen
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 3/12/2019

The perfect tool for keeping your to-do list organized

I use ToDoist to keep track of tasks sent to me by clients. I don't use it for project management, extensive notes, or workflow so much as a simple to-do list of projects that need to be completed. Sometimes you don't need to write a lot of details - you just need to be sure you do the task and todoist is the best software I have found for that. Love it!

Pros

I love how it's a no frills to-do list I can access on my computer and phone. I love being able to set up different projects, due dates, and sub tasks. It also helps me with my EOM invoicing so I know what I did for each client.

Cons

I wish I could get more features for free. The comment feature and ability to set reminders look great. Although, Todoist does send me an email every day letting me know what's on my list, so that is very helpful even without reminders.

Trello , Asana and Notion

Reasons for Choosing Todoist

Asana is a great tool for projects with deeper complexity, but there was too much to fill out and add when I just wanted to manage my tasks. Todoist is exactly what I was looking for.

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Todoist was straightforward and non-distracting. It did exactly what I needed without me getting pulled into a rabbit hole of writing notes or project management when none was needed.
Yoana

Reviewed on 27/08/2020

Works really well until I had too many tasks and then...overwhelm!

I really like the interace and ease of use, it's one of my favorite apps in terms of the UI. It's a really quick setup, the fonts are clean and easy to read, the tags and projects are colored nicely, it just wasn't the app that helped me actually get things done.

Pros

While I was using this software, I really liked the sleek and modern interface to add new tasks. It was quick, easy, and the UI was awesome. I wish all task management apps had an UI like Todoist. The tagging feature was also super quick to add, which saves me time adding tasks.

The feature to reschedule tasks I didn't do based on the load for my week was good, not as good as Skedpal (which is why I switched) but better than I've seen in other task managemetn apps I've tried and used.

I also really liked the minimalism of the screen, I never felt that it was too clunky or too many options being displayed at once and overwhelming me.

Cons

The reason I switched is because I had so many tasks added in I became overwhelmed. This isn't necessarily the apps fault, I should add time in my calendar to do a weekly review, etc... but it just wasn't happening. I switched to SkedPal because it schedules the tasks for me on my calendar, ensuring I get them done. With ToDoist, if something didn't get done, I would have an overdue task, and then need to schedule it into my calendar myself and spend time figuring out what time slot, etc..., then go back to Todoist if the time didn't work out, etc... it wasn't flexible enough to auto schedule and place it on my calendar with the option to roll over to the next day if not completed. (At least at the time that I used it). If it's not on my calendar, it doesn't get done because other things will fill my calendar and then I'm out of time and my Todoist tasks are not completed.

Alexandra

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Using todoist since student’s years

I have been using Todoist for a few years now.it makes my time management easier and more open to possible changes.I also greatly appreciated my last year’s statistics of use, which arrived at the beginning of this year.

Pros

Allowance to plan far into the future is surely a great advantage of this software. Just as possibility of prioritization is, with possibilities to diferentiate with colours.
A great advantage of this software is tha I can use it all over my devices, my phone, macook, iwatch and ipad. That is also why i decided to try it out, as there are only few time-management softwares available on apple watch.

Another great thing is that it allowed me to play freely even without paid subscription. I appreciated this a lot during my studenťs period of life.
I use Todoist every day.it is helpful for both my personal and work life.

Cons

Its unchangable colorful scheme. The red is somehow agressive, combined with contrastive white. Would surely appreciate to be able to change colours:)

Even though it is great to plan some tasks in Todoist, I am unable to track my project development.I would surely appreciate a update Which would allow me to maybe create an individual calendar, in which I would plan on my doing of the project separately from other tasks. It is tiring to be using another software for this, when could there be only one.

Another detail which I noticed at the beginning is a little bit unfriendly interface of Todoist. that is why I would not recommend Todoist to my older colleagues.there are many hidden functions, which I keep on discovering, which I would like to had known before, so that they could have been put to good use.

Ami

Reviewed on 21/02/2022

Perfect Your Productivity With Todoist, Not Your Trello Board

I've used them all. From AirTable to ClickUp. From Asana to Trello. I liked them all for two weeks, and then I got lost in the formulas. I desperately just wanted something that looked like a to-do list.

I'm fairly tech-savvy. I'm used to Excel spreadsheets, and I enjoy automation. But when it comes to project management, I found that I was spending more time sorting out my Trello boards (or any other board) to be presentable, set up automations, and generally maintain it, than actually getting work done.

I'm a copywriter, and my business revolves around creating copy for clients. As such, time management is a massive part of what I do. So, I needed to find something that was simple, presented clearly, and easily edited.

Then I found todoist. It's brilliantly straightforward. You need to set up different 'workspaces', but it's literally just different lists. I use a different list for different clients. They can see only their list, and no one else's. Then, click the + button to add tasks. You can add subtasks, too, which is super useful.

I personally LOVE the noise it makes when you cross off one of your tasks. A super pleasing 'click' like noise. You can set daily goals of the number of tasks you want to complete, too, which is good for productivity.

Overall, Todoist has a really simple design, and an even simpler user-experience. But that's why I love it so much.

Pros

I love how straightforward Todoist is to use. The design is clean and clear, and everything about it is just as simple. I was fed up with the complex formulas of other project management software.
I'm a massive fan of the subtasks feature. You can create smaller tasks underneath a bigger task, which, as a copywriter, is very useful. I can pop in tasks like 'Competitor Research', and then place subtasks under this that help me finalize the task.

I also love that you can set notifications as deadlines. It's almost like an alarm that pings when you need to get something done. You can customize it, too, to send you reminders a certain number of days ahead of time. That helps your productivity massively.

You can also add on clients to your lists, so they can monitor the progress that has been made.

Cons

There are no massive negatives to this software. There are areas they could grow. AirTable, for example, has automations that you can set up. So, if a task has been completed, an automatic email (which you can customize) is sent to the client informing them a task has been completed. If Todoist wanted to do something like that, I think it's important for them to remember that their appeal is simplicity, so it would need to be consistent with that.

Jaden

Reviewed on 25/10/2022

Simplicity, Speed, & Ease Of Use

Pros

What makes Todoist stand out is it's streamlined design. The design itself is minimal and clean. You organize tasks into projects, and those projects can be organized into sub-projects. One of it's best features is natural language input: you can set the due date, priority, project, labels, and more all in the name of the task. This makes it super fast to create & edit tasks, and makes it easy to get ideas out of your head and into Todoist.

Cons

The one feature I want Todoist to have is custom features. At the moment you can create "filters", which allow you to show tasks filtered by due date, project, label, etc. However the tasks always show up in a list style view. I would love it if you could display the filter in an alternate view such as a kanban board, or any of the other views offered by ClickUp's dashboards or Notion's database views.

Craig
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 21/04/2023

Todoist - A flexible and value for money work and project management tool

Very positive real world use experience over the last few years and ensures nothing is missed or forgotten and all project/stakeholder requests/asks are quickly captured and integral to how my team operates.

Pros

The ease of use for creating different 'project' areas that have unique project stages and tasks. These projects can often be repetitive in approach and nature and the ability to create 'template' saves time, improves consistency and quality of project delivery and contributes to project delivery success.Integrations with other cloud tools/email provides greater flexibility and completeness ensuring all tasks are captured at point of creation and no requests/tasks are forgotten.

Cons

Nothing so far - very flexible tool, available across desktop/webapp/smart devices and the price is very good for smaller organisations and teams to have a very capable project/task management solution.

Microsoft Project and Slack

Reasons for Switching to Todoist

Overall, the flexibility and ease of use in creating workflow that fitted how my team works, the great pricing, integration options, ease of initial set up and the number of options for working with the product ensure access to the product and features are never far away.

Reviewed on 19/04/2019

Streamlined Planning on All Devices

I used Todoist a few years back and loved it. I then switched to a different platform for one reason or another, but ended up coming back to Todoist for its ease of use and ability to have recurring tasks. I use it for my personal tasks as well as for my business tasks.

Pros

I use Todoist for both my personal task manager as well as my business task manager. I'm a work-from-home mom with a growing business and I like that I can seamlessly use this for ANY task I need to complete. I am able to put household chores, personal projects and work projects all in one. It allows me to organize and categorize all of my to-dos I add.

I love that I can have this on my desktop, tablet and phone and they seamlessly update constantly. It helps me know what needs to be done wherever I am.

The other thing that I absolutely LOVE and saves me tons of time is that I can make some tasks recurring. I am able to add weekly, daily or monthly tasks to my to-do list. This has helped me so I never forget a task or skip doing things that come up just once in a while.

When life gets really busy, and unexpected things come up I can easily change my tasks to a different due date. This makes a world of difference in actually getting my tasks done. Instead of having a to-do list a mile long, I can re-prioritize what I have left and add it to different days as needed.

Cons

My only complaint is that I'm not able to see what I've checked off in the free version. Sometimes a task will get accidentally bumped and marked as done on my phone, and I have no way of going back to retrieve what it was without paying.

The other thing I wish there was in this software was a way to add these items to my calendar. I use Google Calendars, and it would be really nice to be able to take a task and place it on my calendar schedule as well to keep my life super organized.

Arturo
Arturo

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

Your ideal project assistant for you or your team

The concept of Todoist is not just to write down reminders and that's all, for that we have the notes app that gives us the same phone, but what they try to do is to have this continuous tracking to help you complete your goals, pending tasks that you need to do in your daily life. Also being able to work collaboratively on hundreds of projects that the app offers you, is something to talk about, as it helps your organization to always be effective and be able to keep track of what we have not done, and what we have done as a team.

Pros

I loved the ease of this software to be able to tell you and guide you through all the functions that Todoist has, since being able to create projects and pending tasks for the day, for the week, or the weekend is too easy because the app feels very dynamic and even satisfies you every time you meet a pending goal.
In terms of price, it is extremely economical, since you have 300 active projects that are for more "pro" people as the platform would say since it offers collaborative work in the same way and has these frequent reminders so you never forget or miss something or pending goal. And of course, you have an automatic backup at any time.

Cons

It may be because of the limited functions that you get when using the free plan since they only give you 5 active projects and you don't have reminders, you do have them but you get them by your email, instead of in the pro you have more customization in all this topic. But being frank, for that person who does not have so many pending in the day today, it is perfect because you do not ask for more and the app is excellent.

Notion

Reviewed on 8/01/2023

Excellent task-tracking for individual and small teams

I've used Todoist for tracking personal tasks, joint projects with another person, and start-up projects with small teams - in all cases it has been great for the job so far. For larger groups or more developed projects I can appreciate why teams would migrate to something more feature like Jira or Asana, but I don't think that's the market segment Todoist is aiming to address at the moment.

Pros

- Parsing and recognition of due dates, priorities, projects and tagged users is almost flawless and really speeds up task creation, especially the amount of flexibility in specifying due dates and recurring tasks.- Multiple views for projects allows the tool to be adapted for each - simple task lists, hierarchal lists, and even a kanban-style view.- The combo of labels and custom filters can be very powerful if you're willing to invest a bit of setup time.

Cons

- Over the last year or two Todoist have moved more features behind paywalls - not a problem for commercial users, but I don't like how it will be impacting individual users or start-up teams using the free version.- Release quality/QA isn't the highest. Bugs are usually fixed quickly, but more of them make it into production briefly that I would expect.

RICCARDO

Reviewed on 20/11/2020

Optimal choiice

I adopted Todoist as my task management tool for many years. I adopted the Premium plan starting from 2014, and never changed.functionalitie

Pros

Ease of use, availability og keyboard shortcuts for task creation.
Features are really rich, especially in the cheap Premium plan.
Tasks can be assigned to project and easily prioritized by means of the user interface or by keyboard combinations (e.g. p1 assigns priority 1, #work assigns the task to project work, and so on).
Filters are a powerful feature. I usually create a specific filter for each week with ease, so that I can check if I completed my tasks for the week.
An useful feature for project management s the availability of sub-tasks.
Can be integrated with a bunch of other apps. I personally adopted the integration with Google calendar and IFTTT so that an event in Calendar becomes a task in Todoist, and/or vice-versa.
The user can also list all the completed activities.

Cons

Considering the completeness of the features, it is difficult to think about further improvements.

Yaroslav
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 9/05/2018

Your personal assistant everyday, everywhere || Best portable task manager

Pros

*Flexibility
You can use browser, android, ios, windows, mac device, apple watch, android wear or even use a gmail or outlook.
Todoist is right there for you.

*UI
It has the most welcoming UI of all todo managers. Of course, tastes are different. But I believe, no-one would disagree that Todoist is well made and developed with Love.

*Scalability and features

No being a full scale CRM does not stop Todoist from having everything you might want to have for your everyday simple lists, reminders and tasks. Todoist offers such features as a great approach to structure of tasks, flawless work on the prioritizing tasks and creating simple lists.

*Integrations and little things
Todoist offers a broad range of features out of the box, such as projects, links as tasks, scheduling and calendar integration.

You always forget to pick up or buy something. Or want to prepare for the day by creating a simple todo - this app is for YOU.

Cons

1. More integrations needed. First of all calendars - at the moment the work there is mostly messy and is not optimized. It would be nice to have it in a compact and comfortable tab (calendar tab) and also add calendars on the go and display tasks or meeting in todoist. That would be a huge leap ahead.

2. Pricing of Todoist is not smart, to my humble opinion. First of all, they don't offer monthly payments, why not? Yes, I agree it's cheaper to pay for a year. But what if I am not sure. There are many todo apps and the pricing might be the only thing that would stop people from using todoist constantly, students for example. Would it not be nice to have more flexibility and options there.

Reviewed on 19/06/2019

Easy to use and great feature to integrate emails in your to-do list

Pros

It integrates in your Google Chrome browser and also as a standalone app on your phone or computer. Best feature is that you can make an email in your Gmail a task into Todoist. And when on your computer, if you click on that task linked to the email, the email in Gmail will open up in full. It saves you a lot of searching time.

Cons

I wish they worked more on their reminder feature. I have been using the paid version so I could have the reminders ring on my phone. For some reason, I found that these reminders would disappear very easily from my phone without me even touching it and therefore I would end up missing items to do. Despite contacting tech support, I was not able to find a way to reminders work well for me, but this may be on me. Or maybe there are the tech support explanation was not good enough or maybe their reminders features are not strong enough. What I've been looking for is a nagging reminder that only disappears once you act upon it. I could not find how to do this - yet?

Praveen
Praveen

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

Your User Friendly Productivity app but not Feature Rich

I love Todoist for the ease of use but the features are lacking. I love Amazing Marvin for its features but it is not easy to use. I wish Todoist can inspire from other advanced productivity tools in market and add more features.

Pros

I love the task scheduling feature in Todoist because it can convert plain text to due dates automatically. Quick reschedule feature saves a lot of time. In a nutshell it is mid tier in features but top tier in ease of use for the features it offers. The gamification feature (karma points) are basic but does the job to keep me engaged to keep using Todoist and stay productive.

Cons

The workflow management is basic and a lot to be desired here. You can create a board style project but there are no automations not even basic like close the task when I move to Done section. They can improve gamification a lot to keep people more engaged. Procrastination counter can be a great help for procrastinators like me to know how many times I have rescheduled a task.

Reviewed on 26/07/2020

From 10 different task management apps to one! starstarstarstarstar

Pros

Task management and to do lists had always been a tedious chore for me. I've had to try and use way too many applications and plugins to keep track of my todo list and tasks. Then I found todoist, and most of my problems got sorted instantly. Todoist has a simple intuitive interface for adding new tasks and viewing tasks/project lists. But don't let that fool you, as it is super powerful and as detailed as you'd like it to be. Todoist also integrates with every other programme I use. The Outlook integration can turn my emails into tasks instantly, and the same can be done with Gmail. It also integrates with Google Chrome allowing me to add tasks on the go, whether I need to add a note about a website link to read later or even create a research project based on a published paper I found. I also enjoy using the geo-location reminder, especially when I am running errands around town, as todoist would immediately remind me to pick up the laundry or buy bread as I get closer to my favorite bakery.

Cons

Generally, there is nothing that I did not like about Todoist. However, after a few attempts with project managers to adapt them to use todoist as a simplified project manager app were met with failure, I realized that most PMs still prefer old clangy solutions over new simpler ones (the same issue was faced when trying to adopt basecamp internally).