7shifts Reviews

About 7shifts

7shifts is an all-in-one restaurant team management platform that helps operators: 1) Make more profitable decisions. You'll get the insights you need to make the best team and operating decisions every day. Hit your labor...

Browse 7shifts Reviews

1,167 of 1,167 reviews
Jayelynn
Jayelynn

Reviewed on 5/09/2019

Helpful and Easy to Use

Overall, it's easy and convenient to use and cheaper than some of the similar apps.

Pros

You can work from the website or from the app which is convenient if you're bouncing between locations. On the website, I can preset shift times for faster scheduling. You can set multiple roles which is beneficial for staff that do multiple things. You can assign an hourly to each role as well, so you can see an approximation of your labor for the week.

Cons

Unfortunately, the preset shift times do not translate over to the app so you do have to manually do it which takes a little more time. Although I have my preference set to get push notifications for almost all the app features, they don't always come through.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7shifts was less expensive and much easier to use plus it integrated with our point of sale system.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Jayelynn! We appreciate your feedback and love hearing that 7shifts can help you keep your schedules straight from anywhere. I've passed along your request regarding preset shifts on the app to our mobile development team for further consideration. Thank you!

Replied 6/09/2019
Ashley

Reviewed on 23/01/2024

7shifts for the win!

Pros

Getting 7Shifts set up was super easy! The process to integrate with the other platforms that we use was also very simple. This is important because not all companies have an IT department that can blow through tech set up. 7Shifts can be used by anyone.

Cons

The only complaint I have is the that you aren't able to use the tip management feature unless you use 7shifts' payroll processing as well.

When I Work and HotSchedules

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

We quit using Compeat all together so we needed to find multiple new solutions for the tech we were replacing.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

The price was right and they integrate with our tech stack.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with 7shifts! We greatly appreciate customer feedback. With any concerns or feedback you'd like to share further, feel free to pass it along to [email protected].

Replied 24/01/2024
Frank
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

National Coney Island Fraser GM

Pros

Accessibility, communication as well as user friendliness and task management.

Cons

The application can be spotty for some user.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with 7shifts! We greatly appreciate customer feedback. With any feedback you'd like to share further, feel free to pass it along to [email protected].

Replied 2/04/2024

Top 7shifts Alternatives

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

ADP Workforce Now

• Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 6/11/2019

7Shifts and More?

The team loved 7shifts since it was so user friendly and easy to access from PC or mobile. Unfortunately, forecasting is obviously a big issue when it comes to scheduling so we moved on.

Pros

I liked the messaging platform it had for teams. I enjoyed the ease of seeing team member roles. I liked the ease of seeing the daily line up of teams in different departments. I enjoyed being able to flag attendance within the app and reports generated from that.

Cons

I did not like third party app integrations that users would be automatically opted into. Forecasting was a bit clunky also unfortunately.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

We didnt. We went with HotSchedules.

Response from 7shifts

Hi there, thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback and really appreciate you sharing with us what you liked, and what you did not like about 7shifts.

In regards to sales/labor forecasting, this is something we are always looking to improve so we appreciate your candor. We strive to provide all of our customers with at least 95% accuracy in forecasting, so if this was something we have not lived up to we want to make it right and work with you to improve your experience. Please reach out to our team any time and we would be happy to help!

On that note, we just released our new Optimal Labor tool which provides hourly sales forecasts which are even more intuitive and transparent. The goal here is to provide managers and operators a visual representation of their labor needs to help them more easily hit their targets with solid forecasts: https://support.7shifts.com/article/310-optimal-labor-tool

Replied 6/11/2019
BRENDON

Reviewed on 25/03/2024

Good system but lacks basic budget

I’ve used 7shifts for a number of years. I’ve had no complaints up until the basic need of looking at dollars written to spend and also reporting showing us the difference of what we scheduled versus what we spent in dollars. I don’t need man hours I don’t need certain budget tools that they use. It’s just missing the one number that I can use as an administrator to check how my managers with their schedules.

Pros

The ease of use of using to write schedules and communication.

Cons

I want to know total dollar spend for the written schedule per day. It is lacking that basic function because it has other tools that are supposed to help you. But the tools are very complex and difficult.

Sling

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

It’s name and reputation. And integrated with Toast.

Replied 26/03/2024
Mario

Very Valuable Tool

Has been a great tool in the daily operation of our business.

Pros

The ability to mange multiple schedules. Distribute it easily. Communicate with the team. View sales and sale comparisons. Save daily logs.

Cons

Not fully integrated with POS so that we could pull individual employee sales or receipts or see PMIX reports.

Replied 21/03/2024
Ryan

Amazing Company

Pros

I love the fact that seven shifts sets my teams up for success

Cons

I truly like everything about 7shifts.
I have no issues with the product

Replied 21/03/2024
Nicole

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

An owners review

We've been very happy, would love to switch to payroll if we could get department breakout

Pros

Ease of looking at current schedule, putting shifts up for grabs, and changes on the fly

Cons

I can't do my schedule from my phone. That would be Soooo awesome.

Replied 2/04/2024
Celine

Reviewed on 18/05/2024

Great Way to Schedule and Track Hours

Pros

I love how easy it is for me to check my schedule, update my availability, put in time off requests and communicate with team members. It’s super easy for our team to stay connected.

Cons

I don’t like that it will log me off randomly, since it is something that I use every day. I also don’t like that the hours tracker has just stopped working. It was a great way to track my finances and budget.

Replied 22/05/2024
Chef Steven

Reviewed on 14/11/2019

Life with 7Shifts is all about the right communication with staff and managers

I have two other software suites that offer what 7shifts does included in the price, 2 other software suites and I still would rather use 7shifts because of how awesome it is. My 50k POS bundle and my staff management suite both offer this, and I could save the cost of 7shifts per year - but heck no.

Pros

- Very Short Learning Curve
- The App is very stable and accurate
- Our staff enjoy using the app and don't see it as a burden, but a convenience
- With our package, the app is feature-rich without bloat.
- Developers listen to the community and add value as often as possible.

Cons

As with any software development, some features that would be useful for you may take time if they are more niche use cases.

Response from 7shifts

Wow! Thanks for the amazing review Steven. I shared your review with the rest of our team, and it made our day to hear that 7shifts has provided you and your team with so much value. Knowing that you have chosen 7shifts over other tools you have available to you is a high honour and is what drives us to keep developing our products for restaurateurs like yourself. Please let us know how we can continue to raise the bar for you and make 7shifts an integral part of your operations.

Replied 15/11/2019

Stacked and Folded Social House Review of 7Shifts

Overall it is a solid product, very happy with it!! I feel it blows Hot Schedules out of the water!!

Pros

Ease of use, lay out, certain reports. Ease for staff to communicate and input their availability and time off requests. It is user friendly on the front end.

Cons

Better labor forecasting, actual v forecasted, Day part labor separation ( lunch v dinner) and real-time labor v forecasted v last week ( or last quarter or last year). Being able to break down the sales by day part along with labor would be fantastic. Also the "optimal labor" tool is pretty weak and the graph used is not helpful.
Tip pooling or tip reporting enhancements. I have three cashiers on, having them the program able to split up the group tips by hours worked on that shift.

ADP Workforce Now, When I Work and HotSchedules

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

I liked the way it looked, the ease of learning it and the great support staff when we first started!!! Their patience and understanding was just awesome!!!

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Chris!

Stephanie
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Reviewed on 21/06/2021

Exactly what we were looking for

Support is phenomenal, and I find the program very user friendly. It was exactly what we were looking for.

Pros

It was critical for us to find software that would track each employee's unique schedule availability and limitations, and allow each other to automatically see the shift pool. It has reduced headaches and made team communications about the schedule virtually seamless.

Cons

We are missing the ability to see which manager makes what changes to already published schedules - it would be nice to have a "versions" page to see who made what switches. We would also like a bit more robust availability planning capability. Some of our staff can only work seasonally, others who work every other weekend - it would be nice to be able to set this up.

When I Work and WhenToWork

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

7Shifts offered so many features in the premium level, for about $10 more than what we were paying with our previous software. It also really mattered that 7Shifts doesn't charge per employee. We have room to grow without exponentially increasing related expenses.

Response from 7shifts

Wow, thank you so much for the detailed review Stephanie! I sent this to a few members of our team and all of them were blown away by your feedback. We really appreciate it.

To your feedback regarding which managers make changes to the schedule, you have the ability to see some of this in the Audit Log which you have access to in your account. You can learn more about it here: https://support.7shifts.com/article/256-activity-log

However, we our team agrees that this probably won't satisfy exactly what you are looking for, so we add added it to our development backlog to consider.

Thanks again for your feedback and congratulations on all the success you are having with 7shifts!

Replied 22/06/2021
Andreina
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Potential

So Far it has worked for our company, hopefully we can further develop our usage.

Pros

The software has a lot of potentials to be great, the best part of it is the integration with POS so we can have real-time data.

Cons

There are sections like time-sheets that are unnecessarily hard and not user-friendly.

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

The software was very user-friendly but the app itself keeps crashing or lagging delaying our process when doing scheduling and payroll.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Did not like the Fourth interface.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Andreina! As you mentioned, we look forward to showing you the full potential of how 7shifts can help your restaurant. As such, your dedicated success manager to see how they can help you out :)

Joshua

Reviewed on 12/11/2020

Great system and developing nicely

Customer service as always been a pleasure. Not a big fan of continual prompts every time I log in for feedback or sales pitches but overall a real solid system.

Pros

During the time that we have used this software, there have been wonderful developments and rollouts that nicely enhance our operation. Keep up the good work!

Cons

It was very basic to begin with. Coming along nicely and will likely be the best product if they keep it up.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Joshua. You can rest assured that we will always be working to improve 7shifts and ensure that it's the best solution for restaurateurs like you.

Replied 18/11/2020
Jeremy

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Better than other scheduling apps

Pros

Setting up availabilities and scheduling is very easy and helpful.

Cons

Sometimes there'll be a notification even though the notification has already been resolved.

Slack

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

Homebase was not as functional and user-friendly as 7shifts appears to be.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Cheaper, user-friendly and does a lot of the tasks I wanted to be done.
Allison

Reviewed on 19/03/2024

A good product with room for improvement

Pros

The scheduling portion is pretty easy. I like that I can copy from one week to the other, and that I can get a "warning" if someone has asked for time off or is not available. The newer on-boarding package features are really helpful. I like that we can add time off policies. The announcement feature is nice and I like and that it has read receipts. There are quite a few features to 7shifts, and I don't even use all of them, but it's nice to know they are there. Overall, 7 Shifts helps me to keep organized and streamline my processes. It saves me a lot of time!

Cons

I like to print off the time off calendar so my staff can see who has time off, but it is not currently printer friendly. I have to take a screen shot of the page, then crop it and print. I wish the calendar could be downloaded as a PDF.
We often have glitchy issues with the 7shifts app. For instance, I never get notified of time off requests, even though I have push notifications and email turned on. My staff often tells me that they can't swap shifts because the app is glitching out.
I also wish that if an employee is flagged "sick" for their shift, but their shift got covered, that the app would not send me, and the person who is sick, notifications that they haven't punched in for their shift. That is very annoying.
I am not a fan of the new time clocking reports they are trying out. It is confusing and does not provide a clear picture of total hours nor can I print off a time sheet for someone to correct. It's not a good "update" at all. I think 7shifts has so many features, and they seem to be always adding new ones, that they might be having a hard time optimizing the ones they already have.

Response from 7shifts

Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience with 7shifts! We love hearing about how 7shifts has positively impacted your restaurant. If there is ever anything we can help with, our team is here for you. Feel free to reach out to [email protected] for any extra feedback or questions.

Replied 22/03/2024
Kaitlin

Reviewed on 8/11/2020

Keep up the good work!

Overall 7shifts is the best scheduling software I have worked with (schedule fly, day force, written schedules). I would say the best part of the company is that they truly care about their clients and take the time to do serves like this one to keep in the know about customer satisfaction and are always striving to improve the product to adapt to all the industries they serve.

Keep on doing what you are doing, it's working!

Pros

It is very user friendly. Schedules are easily created and notifications are sent to employees if any changes are made. This eliminates me having to individually reach out to employees. I also love the announcement board for when I need to inform my crew of changes to the menu or any other operational changes.

Cons

When inputting events into the calendar it would be nice to have more formating options. Ex. Type of event, time frame (if it extends past 12am making it so it doesn't show on the calendar for the next day)

Also when employees try to book time off outside of the allotted time frame it would be nice if the admin still got notified since most employees just text you about it anyways. Perhaps the message could say "your time off request has been submitted but it is outside of the scheduling time frame therefore it cannot be guaranteed" or something like that.

Response from 7shifts

Wow! Thanks so much for the kind words and detailed feedback Kaitlin. We love working with you and the rest of the Drift team and can't wait until we can come visit you soon.

Replied 16/11/2020
Rick

Reviewed on 10/09/2021

I never thought I'd depend on 7shifts so much

Pros

The longer we use 7shifts the better it gets. I use it for scheduling, employee newsletters, our employees use it to chat back and forth with eachother and the owners, shift swapping, time-clocking (with PUNCH) and payroll. It basically replaces the need for an HR position. Because we've used it now for a few years, I can quickly scroll back to last year and see our sales trends over time to predict sales and predict staffing requirement. Sometime I forget when we changed our hours last year, so I can easily check that through 7shifts. Also I can play around with future schedules to analyze when we need to hire a new employee or if it's worth it to add or delete days from our schedule.

Cons

Nothing I don't like...but here is an idea for a new feature. I wish I could get an immediate alert (to the owner) if the sales go higher or lower than set parameters for a certain time period. This would tell me that something is wrong (like no sales for 2 hours...uh oh...did we close? is something broken?) or the restaurant needs help (like 3 hours worth of sales in 45 minutes...oh no, we're slammed and need extra hands).

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the kind words and the great suggestion Rick. We love hearing that 7shifts is increasing in value the longer you use it. Thanks for being a great partner and for trusting us to help your restaurant.

Replied 15/09/2021
Katie

Reviewed on 25/05/2023

Just BE Kitchen review

Overall been a good experience

Pros

It is easy to use and has made things easier with the Toast integration. We switched from Jolt to 7 shifts and have much more control over metrics and tying everything together with the Toast integration. Task lists are easy to create and use. Event calendar helps us communicate events to staff

Cons

Labor tracking and scheduling hours are confusing and dificult to determine how those numbers are calculted. They dont align with Toast, so we can never figure out how 7 shifts system is coming up with the labor numbers from the schedule. It is difficult when salaried employees are included on the schedule and Toast caluclates differently

Reviewed on 3/11/2020

Amazing for scheduling and time clock!

7shifts has been a really positive experience.

Pros

We have used 7shifts since we started our company. We wanted something that could be easy for everyone to use, and we've seen a ton of efficiency improvements over the years! It has been really easy to have different managers run the schedule with ease, and the analytics are helpful for running payroll as well. Would definitely reccomend 7shifts and 7punches as a combination tool.

Cons

No cons to mention! The improvements over the last few years have really made 7shifts and outstanding product.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

Ease of use and easy to setup.

Response from 7shifts

Amazing! Thank you for such a great review Andrew. We really love hearing from restaurants that chose 7shifts when they started their business and the impact it has had over the years. Thanks for the kind words and we look forward to serving you for years to come

Replied 5/11/2020
arpita

Reviewed on 18/08/2018

Excellent scheduling software!

I used to make schedules through Excel, and would have employees email time off requests and availability changes. This software makes everything so much easier. It is so easy to use - copy schedules from week to week, move around shifts, copy shifts, etc. This app made me like making the schedule!

It's also employee-friendly - they can give up and pick up shifts, and manager can approve them. They can communicate with each other through chat. Phone numbers and emails are available, so employees can easily contact each other.

Pros

No glitches ever (previous app we used glitched and made errors to employees' schedules)
Budgeting tool
Ability to put in events
Color coding departments and jobs
Ability to print PDF schedule
Communication (chat and message options)
Employees can trade shifts
Availability and time off request features are perfect
Multiple locations allows you to use employees at different sites, but you can see in lighter color where they are already scheduled to work
Great value for the price
They keep making it better and will let you know when an update has been made

Cons

There's a minimal international fee charged monthly for 7Shifts. But that's all!

Response from 7shifts

Wow, wow, wow. Thanks for the kind words Arpita. We love hearing that you and your team are using every feature available in 7shifts to help Reggae Shack Cafe make scheduling less of a chore. Rock on!

Replied 1/10/2018
Jose Juan

Reviewed on 31/08/2021

7Shifts is the most used app other than our POS. Great value!

Scheduling with 7Shifts is a breeze. It is well designed and functions. This in itself is all I need from my scheduling app to have a good experience while doing a task that can very easily become tedious. 7Shifts makes scheduling for us a fun task.

Pros

While 7Shifts was the first and original scheduling app we tested, we did try 2-3 others. But we kept coming back to 7Shifts. At the center of this decision was the ease of use, and nice design that allowed for easier scheduling. A scheduling app has to do that and work for us. Without this ease of use scheduling can be a a tedious task. 7Shifts makes this a breeze.

Cons

I think 7Shifts has a very good core product (scheduling). And I only wish we had more time to test other features. But that is more on us, than the app. The one feature I wish we had back, as an administrator I wish I had the ability to quickly help employees with their password management. Resetting the passwords used to be easy some years back, whereas the admin was able to set-up a password for the end-user. That feature went away some years back.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the kind words Jose! We really appreciate hearing that 7shifts is one of the most-used apps in your restaurant.

Kayla

Great!

Pros

I love basically all the feature of this program. We use the event management to communicate events with three different departments, as well as restaurant specials and features. It has been user friendly for all staff and managers, the shift swap feature has been a real game changers for staff to communicate swift swaps while still keeping the manager in the loop.

Cons

I wish we could tie into our POS system, having a unique software system it is difficult to find something that will tie in.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks for the review Kayla!

Elizabeth

Reviewed on 2/09/2019

Daily recaps made easy

Pros

With 7 shifts you not only have an easy, intuitive scheduling app that everyone can use at every level, but you also have a customizable manager log book to record the goings ons of events each day, along with POS integration!!! It's everything you need on one page. My schedule writing days are over but I still use the app to get daily recaps from all of my restaurants on the flow of service, 86'd items, sales, and employee progress. With the Manager Log book you can customize each section, add as many areas or as few as you want. We have a complete section for R&M, and another for 86'd items. Use the search function to manage and track all of those areas. Or Search an employees name for an easy way to find feedback for quarterly evalutions.

Cons

The weather on the manager log book can be a little jankey sometimes. And the Toast POS integration took a little while to set up and the labor % aren't always correct, but otherwise it's great.

Response from 7shifts

Thanks so much for the kind words Elizabeth! We are thrilled to hear that you are your team are finding so much value in the manager log book for your business. We can't wait to show you all the great enhancement with Engage that we will be releasing over the coming months, and look forward to your feedback. Cheers!

Replied 3/09/2019
Andrea

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

My excellent experience with sevenshifts as a café owner

Overall, completely satisfied like I said, their technology is very easy to use mobile friendly they have every feature you could need small business to big business. I’m sure across industries, especially in the food and beverage business rates. Perfect so having a company like this is great. It’s also apparent by their new features that they’re adding that they’re continuing to innovate investing and grow and they’re going to be around so that’s important.

Pros

What I like most about this software is that it was super easy to use for me and my staff it’s just very easy and it starts off. You can just do the basics and I am as a new business owner. I was just you know priorities come up, so scheduling was just first and foremost, but it has so many features that you can add on them at any time which is great they have help then it’s a wonderful automated system and they’ve just added a ton of new great features. I am excited to use.

Cons

Honestly, I can’t say I didn’t like anything in particular or what I least liked I think with maybe what I least used was something where we would be things that bigger organizations might need to use that or not important or not necessary for my particular business, but there is nothing that was the least liked

Reasons for Choosing 7shifts

Didn’t know anything about homebase it was used by the previous person. I try to get in there and start using it switching over and it was just a headache so I just looked for a new system start fresh and this one was just doing easier and glad I did.

Reasons for Switching to 7shifts

So there’s a ton of different products out there seven shifts is a reasonable price and it had the features I needed for my industry so I looked at several products, but I focus on what they what features they had and what my priorities were at the time and it matched