About ActiveCampaign

ActiveCampaign's category-defining customer experience automation platform (CXA) helps over 130,000 businesses in 170 countries meaningfully engage with their customers. The platform gives businesses of all sizes access to 500+...

Browse ActiveCampaign Reviews

1,445 of 1,445 reviews
William S. William S.

Reviewed on 30/09/2021

Best CRM for HIPAA

It's immensely positive. Their support is quick when you have questions. They are very helpful. They have teams of people there to help educate you on how to improve your implementation of the product. It's very special and encouraging.

Pros

I went into ActiveCampaign knowing nothing about CRM's. I figured it out and implemented it with ease and that's quite a contrast to Salesforce, SugarCRM, KEAP. The interface is easy to understand and setup is intuitive. Support is incredible and they are constantly improving the product and hiring good people. When they add new products they are well planned out and tested.

Cons

I wish they would add conditional logic to forms. Their API support for developers could also be improved. They could also add more form types to allow a question by question path like Typeform but that's minor.

SugarCRM, Keap and HubSpot CRM

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

Google Forms could not be a CRM for us. It was helpful in the early days of getting going but

Google Forms

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

HIPAA compliance, easy of use, cost, and available features. AC is just an incredible product at the right price for small businesses.
Susan L. Susan L.

Reviewed on 23/04/2021

Finally.

The overall experience has been phenomenal. I imported my database and had everything set up and running in a day. The customer support team is knowledgeable and super friendly.

Pros

ActiveCampaign is the CRM I wish I would have chosen back in 2012 when I went with Infusionsoft. I love the automations. They are intuitive to build, easy to manage, and they flat out work. I love two way SMS via the deep integration with SalesMsg and that the convos get added to the contact record. And finally, I love the Deals feature which is the best and easily customizable sales pipeline software I've ever used.

Cons

One tiny thing I'd change is the contact merge feature. I prefer the ability to choose what fields to merge in a contact record instead of being forced to delete one.

Michelle M. Michelle M.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 29/03/2021

Had to switch from MailChimp

Pros

I like how straightforward and intuitive the software is. -- I can actually see a visual flow map of the customer journey, I can create automated series and then schedule them easily, I can create a standard template for my weekly video campaign and then customize it without revisiting old or pre-designed templates; I wasn't able to do any of those things intuitively with MailChimp. I have fewer than 400 subscribers right now, and I'm really glad to be making the switch now instead of later down the road. ActiveCampaign is where I want to build the foundation for my email marketing from here on out.

Also, I had to buy a whole separate online course to learn how to use MailChimp and ActiveCampaign includes a startup course, "Getting Started," in their platform. Much appreciated!

This is turning into a MailChimp critique, but the other thing I didn't like was how I couldn't just type directly into the body of the email like how a NORMAL email works; I had to write in a separate box to the side and it made it hard to see what the actual email would end up looking like sometimes.

Cons

Honestly I don't have any feedback about what to improve yet; I've been using ActiveCampaign for just a couple weeks.

Drip and Constant Contact

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

See response to first question... (everything I enjoy so far about ActiveCampaign has to do with how much more intuitive and easy it is compared to MailChimp).

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Some big online entrepreneurs that I highly respect [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] with Thrive Themes, [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] with Consulting Accelerator) use ActiveCampaign, and I figure they're using the best of the best for online course/consulting business marketing.

Top ActiveCampaign Alternatives

Andrew T. Andrew T.

Reviewed on 1/08/2020

ActiveCampaign - Powerful drag and drop automation + Easy to send Emails

My experience has been a very pleasant one. Simple to use and fairly intuitive.

Pros

The deliverability of emails is crucial to me (and to most businesses).
A simple user interface comes in a close second.
ActiveCampaign delivers on both (and gives you a comprehensive tutorial series).

I don't make full use of the automations. However, they're drag-and-drop which makes them dead simple to use.

You can also create opt in forms using ActiveCampaign to collect emails. You can embed these forms into pages, or direct users to a link.

Cons

Sometimes it seems like ActiveCampaign goes down which is a problem. I've had people ask me why I sent them a broken link - but the real issue was that ActiveCampaign was down.

I don't have any other big complaints.

A small complaint is not being able to change an email's subject line without clicking a few times.
It would be great if you could change the subject line inside of the email creator.

ClickFunnels, AWeber and Maropost

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

I hate Mailchimp with a passion. The UI confused me, the limited features on the free plan frustrated me (how can I test what I can't use?) and their pricing was way too high. Their strategy is to get you hooked on the free plan. Then you pay out the nose for sub par deliverability. I decided to try ActiveCampaign because one of my clients in the past had used it.

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

I read that ActiveCampaign is ok with most kinds of emails. I also read they have a high deliverability rate. Both of these seemed true when I tested ActiveCampaign. I liked the User Interface and their pricing tiers. Plus their automation impressed me.
Aidan L. Aidan L.

Thorough Email & CRM Software

Pros

AC is easily deployable and compatible with the rest of our tech stack, and this makes it easier for us to justify our continued use of it. The automations are easy to build, but complex enough to go further should you wish to. The email marketing system is thorough, and does what it says on the tin, The reporting capabilities are strong, and it is useful to have this all tied in with a clear CRM and Deal flow management system. The support team at AC are generally great, and depending on what tier you are on, they also provide generous support to their customers to make sure they succeed.

Cons

Sometimes the software bugs out, and doesn't do what you are asking it to do, although this is usually resolved quickly. The entry price for the higher tiers could be slightly lower.

Keap

Gabby C. Gabby C.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Satisfied with Active Campaign

I've used several different email marketing software providers but when I switched to Active Campaign, I was finally satisfied with one. It was easy for me to get started using it and that was a big factor for me.

I like how the automations are similar to advanced email software and are easy to use. All the commands that I need are in the automations so I don't have to do a work-around.

Customer service has been helpful each time I contact them. When needed, they send me the exact link to the documentation I need, or answer my question.

Overall, I enjoy using Active Campaign and find it easy to use. The pricing is fair and I believe I get more value compared to other companies with similar pricing.

Pros

More features than other software at similar pricing
Pricing is fair
Easy to set up
Fast start to using the software
Good documentation
Good customer service that points to documents when needed

Cons

I don't know all of the features or how they could help my business - more explaining how things work would be helpful so I can decide if I want to implement it or not

John D. John D.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 3/06/2020

The best software for your online business and online shop

I am not an affiliate yet I love Active Campaign, so easy to use. The times I have contacted support, they are responsive and helpful.

Pros

I absolutely love ActiveCampaign. I have 2 accounts for my 2 businesses and have approx 10+ customers using it also for their online marketing endeavours. It is my go to software that I recommend to all customers.

I love how the software is cheap for a startup but also offers really high level of integration for advanced customers. It is solid, easy to use and I cannot honestly recall having an issue with it. It has strong reporting and I love the integration features for Woo Commerce and Shopify also.

Cons

The only thing that is missing from ActiveCampaign is a simple checkout / payment type offering. So connecting to Paypal / Stripe is doable but not seamless. Apart from that I love it.

AWeber, MailerLite, Keap, Mailchimp and GetResponse

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

I have switch others across from all sorts of mail responders. Like I mention above it is easy to use, great as a start up but also has great higher level options. So easy to build a customer journey.

1ShoppingCart

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Quite simply it was better!
Skye K. Skye K.

Reviewed on 6/10/2020

Over 100+ Projects Built Using ActiveCampaign

Overall highly positive and I continue to recommend it.

Pros

The marketing automation is the most powerful at its price point and the system continues to develop beyond this into new and interesting areas (e.g. landing pages)

Cons

Segmentation struggles to use combined queries - if you ask for query A and Query B together, you think you'd get ONLY the contacts who appear in BOTH lists. In reality you get all of the contacts on query A and B together - this needs improvement.

ConvertKit

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

Better features at a lower price.

GetResponse

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Better features at a lower price.
Nikki H. Nikki H.

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

Great Alternative to Hubspot

The implementation process and Hubspot migration could have been better. I had a negative customer service experience when migrating using the ActiveCampaign migration services. There was almost no clear communication from the lead on the project. I had to ask repeatedly in multiple different ways to get updates on the progress of the migration and it was late. Granted we have been dealing with a life changing global pandemic but I don't think that working from home should impact your communication with customers - especially when you are running late.

Pros

I moved my company over to Active Campaign because we needed a more inexpensive alternative to Hubspot. We are a small company that needed the tools provided by software like Hubspot & Active Campaign without the huge pill. we were able to save over $6000/year by switching with minimal functionality differences.

Cons

So far the software is great. I have had no major problems and the customer service team is super helpful.

Lisa B. Lisa B.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 2/04/2021

More features + excellent training resources

I love ActiveCampaign and recommend it to all of my clients. I've been a user for over 7 years and have never looked for a new solution because I trust that ActiveCampaign will continue to add the features that will keep our email marketing on the cutting edge.

Pros

Excellent integration with lead tracking and tagging and easy to set up automation and triggers to help you stay on top of your analytics.

Cons

Sometimes the text editor is a little wonky but that's a small issue that only arises occasionally.

Price and ease of use.

Keap

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

More features and better analytics.
Abby D. Abby D.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 2/07/2020

I want to switch us exclusively to ActiveCampaign

Pros

In a perfect world, I would love to convince my org to allow us to switch exclusively to ActiveCampaign. We currently use a very popular, over-built, over-priced platform (which I will not name) that does not fulfill our needs. We don't use a lot of the features our current platform offers, which makes the experience unnecessarily complicated and clunky. I just want to build a simple email, send it easily and track engagement. That's it, and ActiveCampaign fits this bill. That's not to say ActiveCampaign is so simple it's lacking; in my opinion, it's not at all.

Using ActiveCampaign is foolproof. You can't mess up. It literally walks you through the email process step by step without jumping through all the unnecessary hoops. You can teach yourself the platform in no time.

A few highlights worth mentioning:

When building your email, you can simply copy/paste as plain text directly into the email and it will automatically format the text for you. Our current platform requires us to go into the coding screen to do this.

Elements are drag and drop. Sure, you can code if you want, but you can make some great designs without.

A minor feature I find super helpful: It remembers the last sender profile and list you used and defaults to that. LOVE that.

Importing new contacts is super simple.

Tracking: so easy. Instead of having to toggle through multiple screens to look at a user's history, you can see it all clearly in one spot.

Cons

Honestly, I have no complaints about ActiveCampaign. I will say that they do charge extra if you exceed your plan's contacts limit. Which is understandable; every platform does this. All in all, it's a very affordable option.

Zoe Y. Zoe Y.
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

Great, powerful piece of software

Overall using active campaign has helped me make a strong positive start to managing my email list, sending out promotional emails and creating automations that improve my services.

Pros

It's simple and easy to use, yet extremely powerful whether you are a light or heavy user. Automations and campaigns are easy to create and the guides and templates are very helpful.

Cons

It can be a little difficult to figure out how to do something particular at times, with some of the settings and features you need to know where they are before looking for them!

MailerLite

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

I wanted something more powerful with a clear indication of costs.

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

I wanted something that would grow with my company and mainly because of personal reccomendation.
Lewis Y. Lewis Y.
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 5/11/2020

ActiveCampaign is great for entry-level users in the Marketing Automation space

Set up was very easy as AC provided a implementation specialist that helped us get familiar with the software and up and running quite quickly. In addition, they have a great onboarding process to make sure all your needs and questions are answered. Highly recommended!

Pros

Best parts of ActiveCampaign (AC) include their user interface for designing & customizing emails, pop-up messaging, and automation workflows. It is very user friendly and intuitive to use. We were able to set up pop-up messaging, user tracking, and abandoned cart emails quite easily with our website, within days of starting our subscription. In addition, the customer service is phenomenal. We had a smooth onboarding experience with an exceptionally communicative team. All of our responses were answered, even the more technical ones, which they brought on an engineer to discuss with us, free of charge. 5 stars for implementation and onboarding with AC!

Cons

Some of the customizations for forms/pop-ups require some knowledge of CSS in order to get your pop-up form to look exactly the way you want. Sometimes the CSS was buggy and wasn't working, which required me to reach out to customer service, who were very responsive (within 24 hours). Also, I don't find the reporting to be as intuitive to use as say MixPanel or Amplitude. Navigating the reporting menus can be clunky at times, trying to dig down into the information you really need requires some in depth searching or just playing around with the software.

Autopilot and HubSpot Marketing Hub

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Ease of use, great customer service, fast integration
Lindy c S. Lindy c S.
  • Industry: Fine Art

Reviewed on 4/02/2021

Actively Growing My Client List With Active Campaign

My mailing list began with scraps of paper and addresses of family and friends. I started at the lowest tier, under 500 names. The monthly newsletter I send with AC has become a significant sales tool for me, and I expect to jump from tier to tier to tier and be happy to pay for each next level. I am slowing integrating more features, automations etc. There is simply nothing negative about this software for me!

Pros

This complex software is intuitive and easy to use. Just no headaches here. As an artist, creative control is important to me, and I like designing my own templates and emails, but when I'm in a hurry, there are plenty of appropriate templates to choose from. The one time I've had to contact customer support (in 4-5 years of using this) they were prompt, caring and through in resolving my issue.

Cons

I wish more website providers/designers integrated this powerful CRM, but it is comparatively pricey, and not difficult to use anyway.

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Reviews by users were overwhelmingly positive for AC, much less so for Mailchimp. Deliverability rates matter to me, and AC is on top of that completely. Even though my website integrates Mailchimp free, I disregard it and use Active Campaign, happily paying the fee.
Tobe B. Tobe B.

Reviewed on 16/07/2020

Love me some Active Campaign

Pros

Very easy to use and learn. Love the different automations and ways you can connect with your prospects and customers, depending on behavior.

Cons

Deliverability is always an issue with third-party email software, so this isn't unique to AC. But, I do wish deliverability were better sometimes.

ConvertKit and Constant Contact

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Seemed to be a little more user friendly.
Sharon R. Sharon R.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 1/03/2021

I love Active Campaign

I've used other email providers and Active Campaign is the best one I've used.

Pros

It's ability to create automations and to analyse the results so that areas can be improved and worked on to aid conversions.

Cons

The app isn't great, that could do with improving and making it easier to use.

Drip

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

I switch from Convertkit because they were unable to send emails to the UK without causing major issues and problems.

ConvertKit and Mailchimp

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

I had a meeting and was shown the software and it was amazing.
Shaily H. Shaily H.

Time Saver and Insight collector that scales with you

I have been watching this company grow for the last bunch of years. I’ve been to their headquarters for events. I’ve seen them sponsor great causes. I’ve seen them hiring people in ethical ways. Beyond the product being amazing and the service being amazing the company does a lot of good in the way they operate and hire and train and support the community. They have it together. I love how they have even empowered me through their products.

They have also given me surprise gifts over the years for being a great customer. I love that. I even got a giftcard for sharing how much I love them on here.

Pros

The customer success team is by my side to make sure that I make the most out of this product that I understand how it works. I never felt alone when I talk to one of their team members. They help me get way more than I could have ever imagined. It’s awesome scheduling calls with them.

I liked that I can automate my on boarding process. I like that I could get a lot of data that big companies get out of my potential clients being a small business owner.

Cons

Sometimes the software is slow. But it’s pretty much fine. Sometimes their text support is really slow and has long wait times. Not every person in the chat is quick to respond. But it’s still handy none the less. Still think it’s an amazing product and company.

Cody M. Cody M.

Reviewed on 20/02/2021

Good value for email automation, great Support, some mediocre areas

It's been helpful overall to create our automated email sequences. We also send a unique newsletter through each month, and track engagement.

If they fixed a few of the bugs, sped up the site and improved the UI I'd say it was excellent.

Pros

We got ActiveCampaign primarily for automating email sequences, and it does this very well. The UI isn't hard to figure out, and there are lots of options for triggers to choose from. There are also many apps to integrate with, and I've found this pretty easy to do as well.

Cons

ActiveCampaign's site can be a bit slow to load, and occasionally has small errors that eat up time. For example, the automation page often starts glitching when I try to scroll down, or the Forms button can't be clicked until after I click another option in the dropdown menu.

Besides that, it feels a little clunky to edit things - a mix of a slower site, UI choices and protocols to make sure you don't delete something too quickly. Not sure what I'd change exactly, but I know it seems to take awhile to get stuff done in ActiveCampaign.

Sendinblue, SendGrid, Mailchimp and Constant Contact

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

Zoho Campaigns was limited, especially for automating email sequences.

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

It had the functions we wanted at the right price, and it felt more easily accessible to do what we wanted with automating email sequences.
Trudi C. Trudi C.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 16/09/2020

Smart, intuitive platform

They have the most amazing customer service team, they're always there when I need help with something. The switch over to ActiveCampaign was also extremely well done, I had support of a team member leading me through every step, advising me on the best set up for my needs.

Pros

I like the amount of data it captures to help me with my marketing, and I enjoy the ability to have an intuitive system of tagging and ranking my subscribers so I can see who is highly engaged and who may need some extra help to engage. I also really appreciate the higher deliverability rates and the amazing customer service.

Cons

I wish I could set the font and the font size as a template when I'm writing emails, ie have it default to the font I want, instead of it going back to another font.

ConvertKit

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

I was worried about deliverability and other technical issues that MailerLite was having.

MailerLite

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

I was familiar with the platform, and felt it had more features for the same cost.
Lucie H. Lucie H.

Reviewed on 2/07/2020

An upgrade from ANY email hosting platform

So far my business has been growing nicely, Active Campaign integrates well with many different software programs and plugins I use - such as Elementor Pro, meaning I can set up an automation from an email form directly on a landing page.

I have a lot to learn still, but it is a joy to learn with Active Campaign.

Pros

I came over to Active Campaign after a referral from a friend. I was struggling with the functionalities of Mailerlite and needed something that would fit my needs.

In came Active Campaign.

Pros: The world of endless possibilities. I can carefully segment my list, I can add tags according to actions they take within the email, I can set up automations that will stop if a subscriber has already been through...and so, so much more.

I love that if I can think of something I'd like to do, there is always a way of doing it. The walkthroughs are fantastic and it's a friendly team to hold your hand while you set up.

Cons

Cons: If you're a little bit of a tech phobe like me, Active Campaign can seem daunting at first. It is not a service for beginners just starting out.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't try though! If you invest a little time understanding all that you can do with it, you will be amazed.

Joshua J. Joshua J.
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 10/10/2021

ActiveCampaign - The All-Inclusive 5-Star Resort of Email Marketing & Customer Management

Pros

When looking for an email marketing tool, I went with ActiveCampaign because I had a few friends who recommended it. One of those friends described it as the "backbone of her business" and said that "she wouldn't be as successful as she is right now without it." I now understand why. Although we haven't taken this year to really dive into AC like we wanted to, it has been great for analytics and tracking where our customers are sending us messages on our website. I can then go into my AC contacts and see which of these customers we provided an estimate/quote for and which of those estimates/quotes actually converted into sales.

Cons

I haven't come across anything that I feel is missing. Based on the things my friend is able to do with AC, I don't think I'll ever find things that I can't do with it. It seems to be very much an "all-inclusive 5-star resort" in the email marketing world.

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

I chose ActiveCampaign over Mailchimp because it offers SO MUCH MORE in terms of functionality and ability. I didn't want to start with something small and regret not going bigger. We have big growth plans over the next 2-3 years and I want my email marketing and customer management program to be able to keep up.
Michał K. Michał K.

Reviewed on 28/09/2020

Best e-mail marketing tool

Pros

Easy to set up and to use.
Easy to analyze results.
Good deliverability

Cons

API interface should have a little more option eg. there is no chance to create and send campaign based only on API.

MailerLite and ConvertKit

Reasons for Choosing ActiveCampaign

Mailchimp is to complicated to use for me.

Reasons for Switching to ActiveCampaign

Integration with my e-learning platform.
Kathy K. Kathy K.

Reviewed on 26/07/2020

Helping me to grow my small business

When I started with ActiveCampaign, my email list was 1,000 contacts...now I have about 25,000 active contacts. I find the support to be good, and when I need help to figure something out, like a more complex automation that I want to set up, they help me quickly.

Pros

Active Campaign is easy to setup and get going, and yet, it has all the features I need for long term growth. Tagging, automations, campaigns are all pretty simple to use.

Cons

Automations can be a bit tricky to get right, but I don't think that's unique to this software.

Nathalie D. Nathalie D.
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 18/06/2021

My ActiveCampaign Review

The migration from my previous system was really smooth, I really like the support though I haven't had to use it much for myself, I recommend Active Campaign to my clients. This is the ideal CRM online businesses, it's intutive and easy to use.

Pros

What I like most about this software is how intuitive it is to create automations and see the flow of a contact through the automations. The Automation builder is very powerful and makes it very flexible to create behavioral marketing automations.

Cons

I wished it had a way to organize tags by categories, that is pretty all that I feel is missing for my needs.

Scott L. Scott L.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 8/08/2021

My ActiveCampaign Review

10 out of 10, love it. I work at an agency and have multiple clients on this, including a few that we recommended the platform too. 100% satisfied!

Pros

Easy to use, fantastic automation setup, great contact and user automation capabilities

Cons

Not many, funny bugs sometimes in the email builder, gets kinda quirky sometimes