Box Reviews

About Box

Simplify your tech stack and save on cost with the Content Cloud: a secure, easy-to-use platform built for the entire content lifecycle, from file creation and sharing, to co-editing, e-signature, classification, and retention....

4.2

Browse Box Reviews

5,315 of 5,315 reviews
Jolie
Jolie
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Organized and accessible

Box allows us to work collaboratively with teammates all over the world, both inside and outside our organization. The workflow is very smooth and we are able to make live updates to documents we work with regularly. The experience has been very positive and a big improvement over what we were using previously

Pros

Box has great storage capacity and many useful tools for editing and syncing items. It's a very flexible, scalable tool

Cons

We rely on Box so much that on the few occasions that it has gone down temporarily, we have been stuck until it's come back online. The good news is that this has happened only once or twice in 3+ years.

Google Docs

Reasons for Choosing Box

Cleaner interface, better user experience, more reliable & capable

Islam
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 7/03/2024

One of the best makes your work more easier

Pros

The smart way how it was created to make everything in a correct way

Cons

Easy
Professional
Accurate
And smother

Caleb
Caleb
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 15/05/2020

May not be best for simple/typical uses

I am not a fan of Box's move towards pure network storage as default (Box Drive) from local storage (Box Sync). This seems unnecessary to me for individuals and small organizations. If you're sure network storage is the way to go for your organization, then Box could be a great choice. They have great branding and features selection if you fall within this category. Otherwise, I'm not sure why someone would give up the benefits of local storage. This is especially the case for individuals. (Note: there does appear to be an option to mark individual directories for offline storage, but in my understanding this has to be selected from a menu.)

This, together with a couple negative experiences with a buggy sync (see below), lead me to give 3/5 stars overall. But if you're sure network storage is the way to go, then I would probably give close to 5/5. I'm just not sure how many people will actually want to manage their files in this way.

Pros

I love the Box branding and aesthetic. It's a pleasant backdrop for day-to-day use. They have a lot of features on the enterprise front, and I can see they've put a lot of work into their business model.

Cons

(Note: This relates to Box Sync, which is the version that stores files locally on your device and backs them up on the cloud. This is in contrast to Box Drive, which stores on the network by default.)

There have been at least 2 occasions entire directories have disappeared from my local storage even though I did not delete them on any of my synced devices. In the most recent case, this was >50 GB across thousands of files. I had to figure out how to redownload them, which turned out to be a huge hassle in the online interface. Download size limits at 15 GB (or something on that order) prevented me from downloading the higher level directories all at once. The next best thing was making batch selections of files. This ended up being very nonintuitive and took me a long time to figure out (I had to go to a help board).

Another criticism is that Box Sync (apparently?) will be deprecated in the future. If, like me, you are uncomfortable with network storage as the default, then Box might not be the best choice for you. I understand this is their business model -- and I can't speak for everyone -- but to me the upsides of default network storage seem outweighed by their downsides for typical use cases.

Top Box Alternatives

Jamie

Reviewed on 17/01/2024

Box useful tool

Pros

Updates are easy to track. Can restore older versions.

Cons

Cannot edit access files within Box. Can lose files if connectivity crashes. Had problems with more than one person editing same file at same time.

Mike
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Reviewed on 25/02/2024

Box - easy, effective and secure cloud storage you can totally rely on

Happy I found this years ago. When I was a teacher, I would put student documents online, so they could access the notes later - and they also loved getting teh free introduction to using Box.

Pros

I like the way it integrates. I use it with Trello. I also have a folder of all my details for when I travel, like photos of my passport, tickets and contact numbers. It means I can access these from anywhere if the world if needed.

Cons

Nothing. It's a great product and works really well. There's nothing to complain about with Box

Mart

Reviewed on 11/02/2024

The best document organizer available!!

Pros

I liked pretty much every feature..so happy to keep things organized so easily!

Cons

I can't think of any bad features ..box met every need that arose

Sahil

Reviewed on 2/03/2024

Box Review

Pros

It seamlessly updates the cloud and syncs the data. It is very helpful when you are working from home and want to collaborate on a project.

Cons

The only con, I think would be it sometimes gives a glitch as in, on the cloud sometimes it will not update the original file which we edited on our local version, though rarely but it confuses.

Alexis
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 8/03/2024

Preferable to others

Pros

I like the security of file sharing. Someone must be signed in to access content, but you can send a code or link to someone who doesn’t have a paid account (they just have to make a free account and sign in).

Cons

Nothing comes to mind different than all similar products, primarily price.

Joris
  • Industry: Alternative Dispute Resolution

Reviewed on 4/03/2024

Box your documents.

A very usefull and helpful program to manage your documents.

Pros

It is a very clear program to use to manage your documents.

Cons

Inviting other users I don't think is so overbearing.

Jayash
Jayash
  • Industry: Market Research
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 23/02/2024

Box is the best cloud based tool for businesses

My overall experience with Box is so good; it's work flow is so smooth.

Pros

Actually, most of the time, I use Box for file sharing and content management.

Cons

As of so far, nothing is there that I dislike, but there is just a normal issue of uploading speed, which comes sometime, but that is also automatically solved.

Zahra
Zahra
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 28/08/2019

Stable Storage Solution

Its good, overall i have no complaints.

Pros

Its a stable solution. The free plan was good but we moved to Business because that's what we needed it for. So the mobile apps are good, desktop sync is instant and there are no hiccups involving security, privacy, sync, uploads and management

Cons

You can't really move your main folder of storage once it has been set up. I initially wanted it on Drive D, now I wish to move it, but Box doesn't allow it. I will need to uninstall and then reinstall the whole damn thing for the shift to take place. Dropbox didnt have this problem. Yes I use both.

OneDrive and Google Drive

Dropbox is expensive

Reasons for Switching to Box

Got free 50GB initially and then onwards it just stuck with us:) OneDrive seemed expensive too, but now we have Office 365 so OneDrive is part of it.
Hayley
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 22/02/2020

My Life Saver

Amazing. Box has helped transform my organization into a fully functioning team. We use this ALL the time. Any questions? Look on Box.

Pros

Box is honestly one of the greatest organizational tools out there. I use Box several times a day for all of my documents. Box has all major servers (Word, Excel, Notes, ect.) and you can upload anything to it! It also updates with real time and allows several viewers/editors at a time. This has been a MUST during executive meetings. We can also upload any music, video or picture files to share, which is essential for our industry. The ability to make several folders and organize data well is the key to using Box. I have almost transitioned out of using Google Docs completely.

Cons

Honestly, the only issue I have with box is sometimes there are loading issues when working on a file with the desktop. Also I can't find a way to delete old files that have been shared with another person that I don't want anymore.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 27/02/2021

Can't imagine running our business without Box

We used Dropbox for a number of years, and we found it very "fragile". Without good access to different levels of security for our team, we would often find files deleted or overwritten by inexperienced employees. Once, an employee using Dropbox's desktop app accidentally deleted our entire list of files and Dropbox had to restore (taking several days). That was the straw that broke the camel's back, so we switched to Box and haven't looked back. It's secure, solid, excellent uptime, and does everything we need and more. Our company stores mission-critical contracts, source files, and other material, and it's locked down only to the appropriate users. We have nearly 7 TB of files from our company's history stored with Box and I sleep great at night knowing they're safe and secure.

Pros

The access levels for intra-company sharing are very granular, allowing us the ability to protect privileged information,

Cons

It's hard to be critical of this tool. Some of the features we never use (notes, for example) seem a little clunky, but I understand they're improving. Those are all secondary, however. The main product itself is unbeatable.

Kavya
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 14/01/2022

Probably my most used file management software

I've used this while working with a team at a startup and in graduate school now. Highly recommend for both collaboration as well as backing up document and cloud storage.

Pros

Box Sync is the first thing I'd recommend if you don't have that already. It sets up a folder on your local computer that you can treat as a folder just like 'Documents' and it syncs automatically when you're connected to wifi. I also like using Box Sync with Mendeley (reference manager) because it syncs all the docs in Mendeley into a single location on Box, which is great. I can make notes in the PDFs and it syncs into Mendeley so that I can see my comments there as well. The version control has saved my many times because every time you create a new version or save a document, it holds onto old versions. This way if you accidentally overwrite something, you can usually go back into Box online, look at previous versions, and restore the right one. It's also easy to use and isn't finicky like many software.

Cons

Unlike most of my software reviews, I don't have much to say for cons.

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box seems to have better version control and seems safer to use. You can create custom share links and get notified when your collaborator has accepted the request to collaborate.
Jill

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

Box is serving as our One Source for all Collaborative Work

Box has been a positive and timely addition to the tools we use. We moved to Box just prior to the pandemic and it has become a staple for our now hybrid workteams.

Pros

Documents are easily stored and shared through our disbursed team. Having Box eliminates the need to keep local copies of important documents and allow for better control of versions. We have moved all of our Work Instructions and forms to Box for use within our Finance Team and for use by all company members. You can restrict access to ensure only those who need access can have it.

Cons

One thing it took us a while to get the hang of, is locking a shared document while we are updating it. If you don't lock the document, multiple people can access it and update it at the same time. Only upon saving would the team members learn that that we now have multiple copies of the same document and that none of them would be accurate.

Mohammad
Mohammad
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 1/01/2023

A Cost-effective, Robust Cloud Service

Overall, I'm quite satisfied with the service & I'll keep on using it given how it's plays a crucial role in my productivity.

Pros

Box simplifies the process of backing up, managing & editing my files on the go from my office or home computer or from my phone. It's fast, reliable & offers a plethora of features that are presented upfront on the software's user interface, rather than being hidden inside layers of sub-menus. I'm a big fan of scheduled backups where after-work hours, Box can simply start backing up specific directories on my PC instead of manually doing the labour of transferring data locally to a slow, external drive. In short, convenience is what Box brings to the table.

Cons

As of the last mobile update, I'm noticing that the upload rate has dropped a little bit. I have a decent 5G router with a stable & speedy connection, so I don't really think my internet is the culprit here. Desktop & web versions work fine though.

Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Box

For the monthly price & features Box had to offer, I'd say it was way more compelling than the considered alternatives.
Ali
Ali

Reviewed on 7/03/2021

Transfer and share files easily and securely in the cloud

One of the first options in transferring our files and offering in the list of required and recommended items to companies and organizations that we consult. If you have different meetings and need different files in the meetings, safely create a secure cloud space of your files in the box because one day it will come in handy. Having a backup on the secure cloud storage is always life-saving, and experience has shown that floppy disks, CDs, and flash drives and computer headers are not enough for a successful business.

Pros

I like the simplicity and good features and the appropriate speed of Box platform, you can easily transfer files from any device to the cloud storage space of the box. I like its speed and security, you will not feel any strangeness with the software. E-Signature make it more secure and Integration with lot of apps is wonderful. The cost and price is very reasonable and economical compared to the many features it provides to the user.‌ Data Loss Protection is great.

Cons

The graphic design of the dashboard should be simpler and more tangible and can be changed to the liking of the admin, Also a feature in the dashboard should be added to display the status of shared files and folders, and the latest status of views and downloads to be clearly and simply visible to the admin.

Hightail and Dropbox DocSend

Reasons for Choosing Box

We were looking for more features and less cost to store information

Reasons for Switching to Box

Having a powerful and secure tool with modern features and at the same time easy to use for storing Documents and data in the cloud with affordable price
Eugene
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management

Reviewed on 23/08/2016

Box - a secure, collaborative platform for all connected users

I've been been a Box customer for about four years. During that time we've gone from a limited POC to a large scale international rollout. We've found Box to be very responsive both from a support standpoint and in terms of listening to their customers regarding features and needs.
The primary reason we initially chose Box was because of the outstanding security framework which was at the core of the initial offering and continues to be a key focus for Box. The management and governance features allowed us to roll it out to a geographically diverse group of employees with the assurance that their data would be secure and would remain secure.
Our initial need was to centrally replicate data from an international location. Based on the success of that POC, we've been able to replicate that success in a number of international locations and delay or eliminate the need for physical systems and storage that had previously been a part of our technology deployment.

Pros

Security is still my favorite feature - I have the confidence that our data is secure and will remain secure. Box meets a number of US based and international security regulations and data compliance requirements, Box makes governance and compliance easy.
Notifications based on file changes or folder changes have allowed us to create "instant workflows" to quickly move data from a variety of locations in the hands of a number of users. This has allowed us to create a system where data is not only securely stored, but able to be quickly acted upon by a geographically diverse group of staff.
Rolling Box seats out to new users is easy, and Box makes a wide variety of training materials available to its users to help them leverage the features.

Cons

There's not much to dislike - the feature set is good and continues to grow. If there is a downside, it is that - like all cloud based solutions - connectivity is required, and that can sometimes be a challenge for my organization is some of the remote international locations where we work.

Bob
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 1/01/2017

Solid enterprise tool with surprising productivity and innovation gains

I run Box for over 100K users in a large university. Box is built for the enterprise. It has very solid security, good user management and an extremely small support footprint. There are consumer tools that might beat Box on some individual features, but cannot hold a candle to Box when held up to the needs and realities of a large enterprise. Box is platform and vendor agnostic. It has solid mobile apps and 3rd party integrations. The API is strong and improving all the time. Box can be the content layer for both internal and externally-facing applications.

We signed on to Box to bring our IP back in from consumer tools. It has largely accomplished that but it has additional surprising results. We've seen some very creative innovations in research collaboration, teaching and administration. The productivity gains have been far greater than expected.

Box is a bit of a paradigm shift for users. Those who never ventured into consumer cloud tools such as Dropbox need to learn about basic cloud concepts of where their data is backed up. IT professionals need to get their heads around Box's permission model as well as deal with the loss of direct user management and support. Having said that, the overall support footprint is startling low. We average 5 technical tickets a week on Box for over 100K users. Most of our support time is on training and consulting to help users get the most out of the tools Box provides.

The bottom line is that Box has proven to be very solid and flexible. Our users have really taken it and run with it.

Pros

Strong security. Data ownership model. Flexibility of collaboration and sharing options. Platform and vendor agnostic. Good administrative controls. Reasonably good reporting. Reasonably good APIs. Ease of use for end users. It's been great watching the creativity and innovation of the users. They've found ways to do things with Box we never imagined when we signed on.

Cons

The desktop sync is different than and technically inferior to that of Dropbox, the consumer tool most users are familiar with in this space. We anticipate this change when Box for Desktop is released in 2017. We'd also like to see the maximum file size increase. I'd like to see improvements in the administrative reporting. Many users have trouble getting their head around Box's waterfall permission model, particularly IT professionals. It's different than what they are used to. It ads an impediment to the retirement of NFS.

Kacie
Kacie

Reviewed on 28/04/2020

Box is secure and can innovate industries from video to medical

I loved using Box for file management and editing. It saved me time and headaches. I only wish that my company had expanded its use and unleashed more of its capabilities.

Pros

Box is the simplest way for me to stay organized, share files with others and ensure that my data is secure. The user experience is easy to understand. It's simple to invite others at a variety of permission levels (somer colleagues to view only, others to download, others to have full editing capability). Syncing on multiple devices is a snap.

But when I attended BoxWorks for training, I realized that one of the best advantages to using Box is the company's relationships with large, high-profile, reputable companies that provide tech integrations. One plug-in takes my raw video footage and auto-generates a searchable log of all dialogue. So I can search for every time an actor says a certain word. The AI even allows me to search for visual cues - one conservation team was able to just search "penguin," and then all their footage from across the world was sorted through in order to allow their video editors to find exactly the footage they needed for their next project.

Box Relay allows you to create workflows with different steps assigned to different teammates. So when you complete your action, the next person is automatically notified that they can begin the next step.

Present state is impressive. But I have a feeling we'll see even greater things to come.

Cons

It took me awhile to think of anything negative to say. The max file size on the more affordable subscription options is perhaps the only drawback I can think of.

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 28/08/2022

Good for off site back up, I tend to use Sync for the day-to-day though

Overall, they are OK for stuff that I've encrypted myself and just want to have a redundant backup. I really should figure out how to use amazon glacier for that, but box makes it too easy and cheap. There's only so many hours in the day.

Pros

I like that this software just works without a bunch of hassle. I also like that box is not, to my knowledge, google or microsoft. No need to have either of them snooping through my files. At the time I switched from dropbox, I was very happy that box wasn't dropbox. I think Box used to have faster pipes than Sync but am not so sure anymore.

Cons

I think that Sync.com has a better product for my day-to-day. All I really want is secure storage and for all my computers to sync up certain directories. I don't want to ever doubt that every file is synced onto every computer. I left dropbox because their smartsync made me wonder if I was getting what I wanted. I think Sync is the company that is most focused on giving me exactly what I want. Box is OK, but they aren't focused on the precise thing I'm after. That makes me worry that they are going to go the dropbox route and try to some "smart" thing that makes them useless to me. Also, there was the box hacker exploit discovered in 2019. I think that's when I moved important stuff to Sync.

Manmohan
  • Industry: Graphic Design
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 19/02/2023

A Must-Have for Efficient File Management

As a professional who deals with countless files and documents every day, I have come to rely on "Box" software for efficient file management. This cloud-based platform has made it incredibly easy for me to store, organize and access all my files from any device, anywhere, anytime.One of the things I love most about Box is its simple yet intuitive interface. It's incredibly easy to upload files, create folders and share them with colleagues, clients, or partners. With the ability to set permissions and access levels, I can control who sees what, and ensure that my files are always secure.Another feature that makes Box stand out is its collaboration tools. With the ability to comment, edit and work on files in real time, I can easily collaborate with team members on projects, without having to worry about version control or conflicts.Box also offers a range of integrations with other tools I use on a daily basis, such as Microsoft Office, Google Drive, Salesforce, and more. This seamless integration has made my workflow much more efficient and streamlined.Overall, I highly recommend Box software to anyone looking for a reliable, secure, and user-friendly platform for file management. Its robust features, ease of use, and flexible pricing options make it a top choice for businesses of all sizes.

Pros

1. User-Friendly Interface: Many users appreciate the easy-to-use and intuitive interface of Box software. It makes it simple to upload and organize files, create folders, and share files with others.2. Collaboration Tools: The collaboration tools provided by Box software make it easier for users to work on files in real time. Users can leave comments, edit files, and work on projects with team members without worrying about version control or conflicts.3. Integrations with Other Tools: Box software seamlessly integrates with other tools like Google Drive, Salesforce, and Microsoft Office, which is helpful for users who use those tools regularly. This allows users to work more efficiently and streamline their workflow.

Cons

1. Limited free storage: The free version of Box only offers 10GB of storage, which might not be enough for some users. The pricing plans for additional storage can also be a bit pricey compared to other cloud storage options.2. No file syncing: Unlike other cloud storage solutions, Box does not have a native syncing feature. This means that files must be manually uploaded or downloaded each time, which can be time-consuming.3. Steep learning curve: While the interface is intuitive, some users may find the advanced features and customization options a bit complex to navigate at first. It may take some time to get used to the software's full capabilities.

Reviewed on 2/12/2022

Reliable Cloud Storage

Pros

I've been using 50GB of BOX storage to hold a collection of PDF work papers and ebooks served to Calibre reader. Every change on Calibre updates the cloud storage and syncs. Also, every new document saved in BOX end up in Calibre automatically. So far it has been a reliable place to save and store my files, with easy to use management functions. The desktop app is also very simple as any cloud storage app must be.

Cons

Free space provided is very small for today's needs, but other than that there are really no other problems.

Nextcloud, ownCloud, Google Drive, MEGA and pCloud Business
Staci

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

The best cloud storage on the web!

One of the best continual investments we've made with the company. This platform has single-handedly help us acquire new clients and projects, thus increasing the bottom line.

Pros

This is the most robust cloud storage platform on the web. Having been a client for over 10 years, there has been continued improvement to accessibility and security from the company. The ease of accessing files and sharing with others is second to none.

Cons

Absolutely nothing was below par. We love it and continually use it daily. Even the mobile app is fantastic!

Dropbox Business and Google Drive

Reasons for Choosing Box

Price and overall accessibility.

Reasons for Switching to Box

Price and overall accessibility.
Anthony
  • Industry: Utilities
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 9/03/2020

Box- A Business Solution For Storing & Retrieving Important Documents

Box has been a great solution in my workplace for storing and retrieving important business related documents. As a contract analyst, I would frequently use the software to download stored regulatory documents and check to see if there were recent changes to the terms in our existing contracts. Being an energy business we service both electric & gas customers in multiple different states. Because of Box, it was easy to check on the status of these contracts on both a commodity and state level. If all this information was on a stored system drive instead, we would be bogging down the system because of all the storage usage. Since Box stores these documents on their secured server, it alleviates the need to use precious resources that can be utilized elsewhere by providing you with the additional storage space. Overall, I am very happy with Box and have no complaints about the software as it fully met my needs whenever I had to use it.

Pros

Box offers a centralized hub that allows users to effectively and efficiently sort through important documents for your organization. The ability to create separate folders makes it easy to organize documents on a departmental or functional basis. Sub-folders can also be created to further sort documents into the existing folder. Downloading a stored document is simple and seamless, allowing users across the organization to have quick and easy access to important files. Uploading a new file is just as simple, and only involves browsing through your files to attach it and adding a few descriptors. The software is password locked, meaning it is a secure option for those looking to protect sensitive business information. There are also features that indicate the version history of a document, so you can make others aware of important changes if a document needs to be edited or updated. Additionally, there are permissions which will allow you to customize who can view and access certain documents.

Cons

The only complaint I have about the software would be that I wasn't able to view previous versions of updated documents. Sometimes I would need to compare previous versions of contracts and I'd find these missing when the document was updated. However, I'm unsure if this was due to the software itself or a configuration set by someone else inside my organization.