About BambooHR

BambooHR offers small and growing companies a human resource information system (HRIS) that includes an applicant tracking system (ATS), time tracking, payroll processing, benefits administration, employee engagement and employee...

Browse BambooHR Reviews

1,270 of 1,270 reviews
Jeff W. Jeff W.

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

Bamboo HR, a slick but severely limited recruiting software

As stated, the BHR system is a recruiters dream and makes the talent acquisition process easier for those businesses that are only using the job boards to get applicants. Just don't expect much more after that.

Pros

The look an feel of BambooHR (BHR) is amazing! Its almost like Facebook for recruiting. It is very intuitive for what it does and offers to the administrator and end user. The applicant tracking system is very easy to use and goes the extra mile with automation and thoughtfulness concerning on-boarding and then " flowing" into the core HRIS. The BHR system was chosen by a previous HR professional that clearly had a recruiting bias. Although important, more vetting should have been done to make a sound choice for long term success regarding the needs of a small to mid-size business.

Cons

Beyond what I described above there is limited functionality without also purchasing and integrating other systems through a "bolt-on" approach. By "Bolt-on" I mean that BHR will not automate between the core HR system of BHR and a timekeeping system, a payroll system, benefits administration system, leave administration system. The ability to have a robust system is possible but is not practical or cost effective with BambooHR. In order to get a full platform, covering the full life cycle of and employee, through BHR, a business would have to pay upwards of 30-40 dollars per employee per month. Simply put other options are available and far more robust with better long term results for less money- See my review of APS Payroll for an example.

APS, Namely, ADP Workforce Now, Paycom and Paycor

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Price and lack of proper education as to the actual functionality and potential cost of the system beyond on-boarding.

Reviewed on 16/07/2020

Great HR Information System for medium size business

Moved all employment contract management online, leave management, onboarding, offboarding, personal details maintenance through self serve functionality, process workflows and performance management.

Pros

Modern HR information system with great broad feature set for medium size businesses. Excellent for leave management, request, approval and tracking.

Cons

Is based out of the US and orientation is by default to US customers. Works for Australia customers but is a bit short on handling contractors, more permanent focused, and support hours do not cover Australia timezone which has caused some issues.

Employment Hero

Reasons for Choosing BambooHR

BambooHR offered us so much more in terms of features and functionality than we would ever invest to build internally. The user experience was modern and easy to use from signing up a new staff member, to onboarding them and maintaining their HR and Leave records. Removed significant risk from process errors, failed notification of employment changes and record keeping for signed contracts. Moved from paper to fully online!

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

Great user interface, custimisable, simple to use and configure, right featureset and complexity for our size of organisation.
Tony B. Tony B.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

BambooHR is simple and user friendly but not built for large companies.

BambooHR software and management system is not the cheapest option out there but you get what you pay for. Well-organized, visually appealing tools that are simple to set up and run. This solution has an open API that allows the software to be integrated with a company's existing HR tech vendors, and the performance review function fits with the way more companies are working. I would suggest this product to small to medium companies.

Pros

BambooHr has allowed our management team to be on the same page with employee Management. Our managers are able to access our Bamboo account from anywhere, allowing them to keep updated on their team. This product also allows employees to enter & update their own personal information reducing user error. This software reporting has several automated functions for manual reports that my company generates for the corporate office. We continue to automate more processes with the help of the Bamboo development team. The onboarding and offboarding processes are streamlined and offer electronic onboarding, task assignments, and e-signature documents. Bamboo HR is able to support every aspect of employee administration and HR management.

Cons

The biggest complaint I have with BambooHr is their customer service and support team. While the team was really hands-on with us for implementation, the support has since left us to figure out our problems with the software ourselves and basically just sends us links to tutorials. The tutorials are ok but we usually end up having even more specific questions after watching them. It would be nice to see them be more hands-on after implementation.

Top BambooHR Alternatives

Liana G. Liana G.
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 14/07/2017

Easy to use system that allows central tracking and reporting of most employee information.

BambooHR has been really helpful in storing and reporting on employee information, giving employees access to view their benefit and personal information, and I can't rave enough about the Applicant Tracking feature. As a one person HR department, BambooHR has allowed me to become a strong, communicative and organized recruiter in the midst of the million other things I do. As I learn more about email alerts and forms, I'm finding more and more ways for BambooHR to support and automate processes that otherwise take up a lot of time and paper. I love that you constantly seek, and act on, customer feedback to make continuous improvements that are relevant to improving our day to day operations. I love that you are responsive to questions and patiently provide guidance and instruction on how to use features. I don't feel like I've purchased this software, and fell into a black hole. The Bamboo team is accessible and supportive, welcoming questions and feedback. I look forward to learning more about how I can use BabmooHR's current features, as well as waiting to see what new features and updates you'll roll out next. Happy Bamboo-ing indeed!

Pros

BambooHR's customer support is second to none. How they find such cheerful, helpful people, I don't know. They are happy to work with you to help you get the most out of the system. The system is user friendly and can be customized in a lot of ways. You can report on any information in the system, with easy to use standard reports, or you can create your own. They constantly add features and make improvements based on customer feedback. In some cases, they can make requested changes immediately. But they really seem to listen to what you want, and work to get there. Employees can see and request updates to their information, as well as complete & submit forms electronically. I'm able to create approval workflows to support many request processes, allowing us to become more automated and maintain files electronically, which we can then report on. I love the applicant tracking system. I think it's the strongest feature they have, allowing collaboration with hiring managers, as well as communication with candidates. It's helped me manage and improve our recruitment process with the click of a button. All candidate records are maintained in one place, and can be seamlessly on-boarded.

Cons

It is only as good as the data you enter, and does not currently integrate with the other systems we use. So, it requires constant data maintenance to keep employee information up to date, for effective reporting. There's no seamless automation for benefit enrollment. The time off system is easy to use, but does not currently show enough detail to be useful for our needs. I hope that BambooHR will focus on automating the integration of information from other systems, and provide a simpler update of benefit plan information at year end.

Anne P. Anne P.

Reviewed on 14/12/2017

A Great Way to Introduce an HRMS to Your Company

Overall, BambooHR is a great product. While adoption by others has been slow, the feedback has been very positive. BambooHR has made my job much easier.

Pros

This product is very easy to use and for the things that might be a little tricky, BambooHR has great Customer Service. As a cloud-based system, it's great to be able to access the data from anywhere. It's mobile-optimized which makes it easy to look up information when I'm away from the office. There are also quite a few features included in the base price compared to other products that are sold as individual modules that don't necessarily work together all that well and everything is included (except performance management which is the only add-on). BambooHR is also constantly updating and making changes suggested by their users to make the product even better.

BambooHR is also a very elegant solution. If you can shop or bank online, you can use BambooHR.

Cons

The reporting function for Training is a bit cumbersome and could use some improvement. Also, any time you go in to select a field (whether creating a report or power editing), it's often difficult to see the entire item name which can make selecting the correct field a bit of a challenge at times. The other con that I hear from my co-workers is the limited functionality of the mobile app. Perhaps adding a link to the full site from the app (and logging you in at the same time) would be helpful.

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Manage your employees through BambooHR

BambooHR has been very good. I could immediately experience the benefits of this tool after switching from a competitor software.

Pros

I love BambooHR for the following:
1) There is calendar where you can choose if your a company wide or department only view. Through this you can manage the workforce and their leaves.
2) You can also track your hiring needs through BambooHR by opening and closing positions.
3) You can easily view your available leaves as they immediately pop up on the browser.

Cons

What I like the least:
1) They should show the net leaves (minus filed but unclaimed sick or vacation leaves) because some employees could overbook
2) The peer review feature should be smarter as people who have never worked with other people are assigned as peers.

• Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 14/11/2021

Keep your employees engaged with each other in a different way

Pros

I love how employees are able to keep track of their vacation time with a simple click. Employees may also have access to the company's directory, meaning they're able to find other people from the company they might not know in an easy way.

Cons

I don't like how the way of viewing company files works. It is not user friendly and there have been a few times where it gets stuck.

Paylocity

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

It is easier and friendlier to use.
Harshpreet S. Harshpreet S.

Reviewed on 16/06/2021

One Stop for all your HR Needs

My overall experience has been great with BambooHR.

It's a breeze to use this software on a daily basis. I love the mobile application that it has and the ability to submit day off requests directly from that.

Really nice and convenient.

Pros

This is one of the best HR software that I have seen. Its quick, efficient, and allows companies to be able to manage their employees in a proper way. It's a single place that is super easy to navigate: both for the employees and the employer.

Everything is available for both the employees to see and this has become increasingly convenient, now that remote working has increased mani a fold.

Cons

I would really like to see this software emerge as an expense management program as well. There should be an option where we can upload our invoices for billing directly. That would make this already awesome program so much better!

Chris G. Chris G.

Reviewed on 9/11/2017

Quick and friendly customer service, simply platform with lots of features.

Pros

BambooHR has done their research on what makes a good HRIS system. They have made it really simple for HR reps to organize employee information and keep everyone in constant communication.

If you buy this program you have to get the ATS function. It keeps all your applicants organized with a rating system and a quick email function. It now has a offer letter function to quickly send your new hires their OL and can keep track of when they view it and sign it. When their hired they're OL and application automatically go into their electronic file. Send them the new hire packet and they'll love the simple and fun communication. When I review the hiring process with my new hires, they always talk about how easy everything was and how communicative the process is.

Cons

It's a growing platform and a reasonable price. You can't edit every area of BambooHR so sometimes that is a restriction on what you can and can't do. However if you email their support team they'll help find a solution.

Kelsi B. Kelsi B.

Reviewed on 10/05/2018

Customization is Amazing!

Customer service is so helpful and friendly, and there are rarely wait times over 2-3 minutes when calling them. The interface is very user friendly, and we get compliments on our new hire onboarding process through bamboo frequently.

Pros

The ability to create custom fields on employee profiles for us to track things outside of necessary HR-related information is huge! Also being able to pull custom reports on this data is key for us in presenting information to upper management. It has helped streamline communicating information because of how easily accessible the data is.

Cons

Very nit picky - but it isn't able to calculate fields in certain ways we need. However, we recognize we're wanting to do some more complex things. Customer support is always happy to take our suggestions, and we've seen improvements on things we're inquired about before.

Angela H. Angela H.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

Great for small businesses

Support has been very helpful with getting the software updated to our needs.

Pros

This software is flexible in many areas. For example, you can have as many time-off types as you want. I do like that you can add custom tabs and fields to track additional information.

Cons

I wish you could edit the text of the email alerts. Some managers want to see the alerts their subordinates get, but it confuses them as it isn't always clear who the alert is for.

• Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 7/11/2018

Game-changer for our company

We really like Bamboo. It's been huge for our crews. The performance module is probably the most powerful feature. Getting this data in regular bites rather than doing annual reviews for everyone has been a game-changer for us in terms of retaining people and making adjustments on the fly.

Pros

Bamboo has made so many of the tedious and annoying clerical parts of HR automated. The interface is really intuitive to work with. Most of our employees are only on mobile. Some have never owned or significantly used a computer. Bamboo's web and mobile-centric design for users has let us move into modern tech in a way that makes sense for our employees.

Cons

Payroll isn't quite there yet. We wish it was, because we would absolutely integrate the payroll features if they were a bit more mature.

We're in mining and metals industry, so training is mandatory for safety and regulatory reasons. The features in Bamboo for documenting training are not robust enough to handle what we need. I'd love to see this get beefed up and become native on their app. If this became more robust, I could personally save about 200 hours / year on managing training documentation.

Caitlin P. Caitlin P.

Reviewed on 16/11/2017

Best software system I've ever used!

Pros

Bamboo offers a beautiful platform with tremendous ease of use. It offers excellent ATS (Applicant Tracking) and employee management features, and they continue to innovate and offer improvements and more features each month. Customer service is fantastic.

Cons

There are times when the system can be too simplistic, and not offer the data customization that would be ideal. For example, my company really wanted to use their performance management software, but we would have to comply with Bamboo's timelines for reviews and aren't able to set our own. This is a relatively small disadvantage compared to the variety of really great features they offer.

I also would also like to see Bamboo implement an intranet that would allow employees to communicate with each other and use the system regularly. As is stands now, the vast majority of our employees don't use Bamboo because it's mostly for management, and that seems like a lost opportunity.

Sandeep K. Sandeep K.
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

One of the best software for HR

BambooHR is one of those software which solves problem of performance management. We can fill all the desired columns related to our quarterly performance which are then visible to our managers. In the reviews of the performance columns, we have to justify our work and on manager's approval our performance gets rewarded. It becomes easy and hassle free to manage one's performance in days of appraisals. It creates transparency both for employees and management. We can say that it is a win win situation on both the sides.

Pros

This software manages every data of employee under one roof. Every employee can check their details in one go like their salary details, employment details, educational background details, bank details in which salary is credited and many more features. With this feature we can contact other employees of the company if we don't have any contact details. We can search in directory and can fetch email. there is a hierarchy chart which tells us where do we stand in an organisation and whom do we report. Moreover, it enables us to fill our general details like our hobbies, liking or disliking, which are visible to our colleagues. We can chose whatever we want to show on portal out of our general details. The best thing is user interface which is very good and user friendly. Navigation is par excellence.

Cons

When I tried to login through mobile app, it threw errors and I was not able to login. I had to drop the idea of mobile app. Apart from this I like each and everything about this software, nothing to dislike.

Maria H. Maria H.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 10/05/2019

BambooHR is the solution for your employee information database.

BambooHR came to revolutionize our employee information tracking system, while also adding a few other functions in the process like vacations and time off requests. It has been a good decision specially for a global company as we are.

Pros

We used to have al the information scattered all around and manually. The company came across BambooHR and implemented it. Now, all of the employees have their own profile and have access to multiple other functionalities like reports, documents, etc... Also, you are able to request for time-off directly from Bamboo which also tackles the approval process automatically for you.
It is a wonderful tool for a mid/large size company.

Cons

I dont have anything to complain about or that I dislike about this product.

Laura B. Laura B.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 5/02/2020

Not terrible, but it could definitely improve

It's not great at the moment, but as I said, that might only be because of the way HR handled the configuration of Bamboo. It could be a lot better but I think generally, it's a good platform and one that is user-friendly.

Pros

I generally like BamhooHR, it's a nice platform, looks pretty good, and has all the necessary info. You can submit vacation days, input personal information, and submit and receive feedback and appraisals. It's relatively easy-to-use and efficient.

Cons

I guess it depends a lot on how the HR department chooses to configure it. I think it could be a lot better for my particular case. I cannot see the total of vacation days that I have in a year, only the ones that have accumulated until the current moment, which is a horrible way of ovserseeing my leave. If that part is configured right, in a way that makes sense to everyone, I think it's a pretty good software.

Jessica L. Jessica L.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 29/10/2018

Great for HR Employee Tracking

BambooHR is my go-to platform when I need to look up an employee's name/team/picture/promotion information and company level information. It's a good resources for new employees as well because they can get access to org charts, promotion dates and use the platform to request time off.

Pros

Easy to use, good for building org charts, tracking HR/onboarding documents, tracking employee PTO, and changes to compensation/promotions/title changes/salary increases. Has great integrations through other software such as Greenhouse and ADP. Overall a great HRIS. The interface is straight forward and easy to use.

Cons

I haven't had too many negatives with my minimal experience using the BambooHR platform as an employee and recruiter. I guess if I had to nit-pick, it would be that it's not as easy to take integrations from Greenhouse and set the right notifications when a new employee is created-- it seemed to really confuse our HR team and create extra work to cleanup, so we ended up turning that feature off-but might not be a knock on BambooHR--maybe just the integration itself.

Slam J. Slam J.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 2/12/2020

Clean and easy to Use

Overall, it's a great way to manage a wide variety of workplace 'must haves.'

Pros

Very intuitive, and well designed. Easy to track paychecks, company announcements, and personal goals.

Cons

When writing personal goals, or annual review information, the website would automatically log me out, without saving the work. This happened nearly every year after I have spent almost an hour writing, and then POOF! all of it would be lost. I eventually figured out to save as I went along, but I lost at least 6 hours of my time to this feature for the 2.5 or so years since the company adopted the program.

Zack K. Zack K.

Reviewed on 14/05/2021

Great foundation for all HR-related needs

BambooHR does a few things really well and helps make the company feel more cohesive.

Pros

How it brings all HR functions together in a beautifully designed SaaS site. Time off calendar, org charts, performance reviews, even basic recruiting capabilities are all available. Integration with onelogin is seamless. The org chart is particular is nicely designed. I also like the employee breakdown with various charts available to see how the organization is represented by location and division. BambooHR offers basic file storage capabilities for HR related documents and can also do basic onboarding checklists.

Cons

Recruiting features are pretty rudimentary compared to other solutions and anything outside of the bare minimum will require another system. It would have been nice to have OA built in, as other HR systems offer this functionality. As such we have to use another system for this.

Sotiris B. Sotiris B.

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

The way to know who's not going to be at the office

Good enough application to keep track of remaining vacation and make requests easier. It helped us have cleaner email inbox as request and pre-vacation emails stopped after started using this!

Pros

Could setup the vacation scheme our company follows
Days of vacation were accrued each month
No surprises on remaining vacation days
Could see in the calendar who is out
Great mobile phone application

Cons

I did not have a lot of issues using this product. I wish it had some more clever features. For example to have settings when two different people could not have vacation at the same time. Or setup minimum capacity into a team per role etc.

• Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

Great ATS (applicant tracking system) to post job opportunities

We've been using BambooHR to announce our job openings, it has a nice and easy to use database that can be used to keep track and move forward with the applications.

Pros

BambooHR has a nice interface to publish job opportunities, other than its native features of HR/team management.

Cons

The job posting feature does not work on the trial mode, so if you're just testing BambooHR for your job postings, you actually can 't make use of the trial period and make the payment immediatelly.

LinkedIn Jobs
John T. John T.

Reviewed on 27/11/2019

Great Platform For The Smaller Team

Over, we love the platform and constant updated they were making to improve accessibility and overall UE.

Pros

We utilized BambooHR as our primary source of employee info ATS. Previous to the using them, we are spread across file folders, spreadsheets and cloud drives. This drastically simplified our lives.

Cons

Pricing seemed a bit high for our team of 9 when we first deployed it.

RUN Powered by ADP

Reasons for Switching to BambooHR

The ability to scale up/down on the fly was important to us.
Patrick W. Patrick W.

Reviewed on 7/11/2016

Great for small businesses

We've been using Bamboo HR for awhile now. They've been very responsive when we've had any questions about the product or have needed some custom field options for our employee records. Document management could be improved, but it's functional. The job listing/applicant tracking system has been a useful tool; we've received some applicants through the job postings they created for us, and we've been able to share a link to the job listing on Facebook to make it easier for people to apply.

We haven't yet tried their performance management module, and do not plan to do so for the additional cost per month per user.

Pros

The applicant tracking system is pretty solid, especially for a feature included at no additional price.
Setup and configuration is simple, and their support team is quick to answer any questions.

Cons

I would like to see 2FA (two-factor authentication) as an option for a web-based application that can be used to store HIPAA-compliant employee information, as well as employee social security numbers.

Adriana Z. Adriana Z.

Reviewed on 13/03/2019

Great software

Very positive. Is a great HR software and we will continue to use it as so. Solves HR platform needs.

Pros

BambooHR has made my life as an HR Associate MUCH easier. We love using the software for our HR needs, including on-boarding, file storage, employee data, and off-boarding. The simple platform is clean and SUPER easy to use. Our employee love it and use it to see calendars (time off, birthdays), file storage (HR/company files) and employee data. I love the reporting function .

Cons

I wish the reporting function was a little more extensive. While it fits the bill for most things, I am often manipulating reports to get exactly what I need. I appreciate the simplicity but often wish it was a little more developed.

Stephen W. Stephen W.

Reviewed on 30/07/2020

BambooHR gets you into the digital world

Overall it's a great little system and great value for money for a smaller business. The customer service is awesome!

Pros

It's a great system for smaller companies wanting to implement a HRIS. It's very flexible and can potentially integrate with payroll and L&D systems. It offers many digital features including Hiring, Onboarding and Contract and remuneration Changes.

Cons

There are some features that are a little frustrating like it doesn't integrate with Seek. Some of the features are teminalogy is a little too American and you you can't change these features (eg Leave is called Time Off)