WordPress Reviews

About WordPress

WordPress is an open-source, cloud-based content management system based on PHP and MySQL that helps small to large businesses create, manage and publish content for websites. The customizable solution allows enterprises to use...

4.2
4.1

Browse WordPress Reviews

14,852 of 14,852 reviews
Luke
Luke
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 5/10/2022

Wordpress is by far the best website platform and is highly customisable

I love Wordpress and there is no other platform like it!

Pros

I have used Wordpress for myself and my clients for the past 10 years. It's my preferred platform to build websites on due to the amount of customisation I can make, unlike other platforms such as Shopify which is a lot more difficult and costly.

Wordpress feels like a platform where there are no limits to what you can do.

Cons

Woocommerce can be a bit expensive with plugins, but I can make customisations myself unlike Shopify. The dashboard could also do with a refresh to make it more friendly for clients to use.

I have had a few websites that have been hacked over the years so I would like to see better security on Wordpress.

Shopify

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

With every project, I need to choose whether it will be Wordpress or Shopify for e-commerce. I love shopify's interface, but the customisations can be difficult to make so I will choose Wordpress on occasions.

Shopify

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

Better customisations and page builder options. Cheaper in terms of plugins too.
Pedro
Pedro

Reviewed on 30/01/2024

WordPress is the way to go

Pros

I've been growing with this platform as a developer and entrepreneur. It has been an amazing journey so far because it has shifted from a "blog platform" to a "do whatever you want with it" platform. In my company we've already worked with SO many different project - and some really big. The flexibility of WordPress is amazing and if we know how to work with it, this can be very powerful! I'm obviously referring to the open-source solution, not the wordpress.com version.

Cons

The well known cons are related to the way WP saves information into database and how it works with it. That's basically the biggest problem with it. But that's also something that when we know what we are doing, we can actually play with our own tables or even our separate database, Everything is possible!

Jessica
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 14/02/2020

Wordpress, NOT for Complete Beginners

Although Wordpress is a fairly fast and easy way to get website up and running relatively fast, it requires a lot of upkeep, maintenance, and constant monitoring and continuous configuring of code updates and settings to keep running smoothly and safely in the long run. Do not reccomend to complete beginners or novices. Highly recommend to business owners who have a budget for proper upkeep and maintenance.

Pros

Highly customizable with extensive knowledge and experience

Cons

Doesn't work out the box, needs a lot of customization and configuring in order to work properly, not for Complete beginners.

OpenCart and Google Cloud

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

LightCMS was too Proprietary making it too hard to customize and had the same learning curve as Wordpress, just with too many customization restrictions, so it made sense for me to switch.

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

They all fell short in one way or another.

Top WordPress Alternatives

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Square Point of Sale

Tichaona Redemptor

Reviewed on 8/02/2024

The first and cutting edge website and content creation and management platform

Ecstatic
Thrilled
Euphoric
Exhilarated
Energetic
Enthusiastic

Pros

Customizable branding enables users to create a unique and consistent brand identity across their website. This includes incorporating brand colors, logos, fonts, and other visual elements that help reinforce brand recognition and establish a professional online presence.

Cons

Many updates to manage
You need plugins for most things
Themes and plugins can slow your site down
Advanced customization is only possible with a developer

Google Cloud Storage and SITE123

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

To try other options and see what has the best features

Mailchimp and SITE123

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

to see what feature it has that are better than the alternative
Stefan

Reviewed on 2/04/2024

Good product for creating any website

overall great experperience, i do not know any better CMS for small-middle websites, definately worth to use, espcecially because of low cost and easy startup

Pros

very low cost, many plugins, good documentation, very strong usage all over the world, quite robust

Cons

overall speed is low, some settings are difficult to understand

Joomla

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

easier setup, better documentation, more plugins
Amanda

Reviewed on 6/03/2024

I'm Super Happy I Use WordPress!

Wonderful over-all experience!I look forward to using WP with our next business!

Pros

There are a lot of options! The hardest thing was choose the template! They all fit perfectly!

Cons

I kind of was looking forwars to lore free templatea. But thats only because my specific need is very diverse.

Shiv Shankar
Shiv Shankar

Reviewed on 7/11/2023

WORDPRESS IS USERFREINDLY CMS

Quite good and for initial learn most of things.

Pros

Easy to use, make website faster and user-friendly.

Cons

Drag and drop with the help of eliminator.

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

wix doesn't have plugin option so its quite simple as compare to wp.
Traci
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 1/04/2024

Learning curve but worth it

Wordpress is not just plug and play but there are a lot of Youtube videos out there to help you get started. You do need to be somewhat tech-savvy, but not an expert. I love all the different plugins that are available to use.

Pros

It is very customizable with lots of plugins to use.

Cons

The learning curve is very steep. It is hard to know where to start and what you need to do.

Joel
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 5/04/2024

Great tool for web editing

Pros

I like that Wordpress is open ended and can be paired with a bunch of different web editing tools.

Cons

It has a bit of a learning curve to it, and isn't super accessible for people who are not very technologically inclined.

Lea

Reviewed on 6/04/2024

Quality worth the expense

My experience has been positive, I will stay with WordPress.

Pros

Customizable and generally easy to use.

Cons

There is a learning curve to WordPress. You have to be ready to study if you use WordPress.

Alyssa

Reviewed on 7/05/2019

Everyone Needs to Learn Wordpress

Pros

Wordpress can be as easy or as complex as you want it to be.

There are thousands of plug ins and hundreds of themes! depending on the theme you like, you can download a full website and edit what you need.

There are plug-ins for SEO. Yoast SEO is my favorite to use. Its robust and does all the work under the hood of your website.

SSL Certification is a huge thing to have on your website - yes, theres a plug in for this!

I am currently building out 5 websites for our different companies.

Wordpress is sexy, sleek, and most recognized by Google!

Cons

I wish you didn't have to have a server if you don't have a domain.

Plugins and themes publish updates often. You have to manually update these.

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

Wix's themes and pages are not recognized by google. Which means your Wix website will not be found on the first pages of Google. Wordpress is up to date with Google and is found!
Brad
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

Blog + Application Framework + Content Management System

Using WordPress, we were able to rebuild our public facing website and our staff intranet simultaneously on one installation. And we were about to roll out features and updates at a pace that suited us. In the title, I mentioned Application Framework - WordPress is so extensible and flexible that you can treat it as a framework either apart from or in conjunction with the content management system and blogging engine.

Pros

For starters, the price can't be beat. WordPress is open source, so it's free to use in pretty much any way you need. With most free software, there's no support, but the WordPress community is so massive that you can find help for nearly anything WordPress related. If you're a developer, it's incredibly easy to add and customize features by writing plugins. If you're a designer, you have total control over the appearance of your site with the WordPress templating system.

Cons

There's not much to dislike about WordPress. As a developer, I find some of the older APIs to be a bit unwieldy, but most of those are being deprecated in favor of new methods as updates roll out. The new block editor isn't my favorite thing in the world, but it can be disabled if you need.

Steve
Steve
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organisation Management
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 30/12/2019

Still the best and getting easier

We use WordPress to power a surprising number of content sites, many with more than a thousand articles (the largest site has over 10k total pages). This is a huge blessing from where we were just a few years ago with an expensive, development-heavy, closed-source behemoth.
The one thing we really don't intend to use WordPress for is the e-commerce area. We went with a special-purpose platform for that because we didn't want to cobble-together a ton of WooCommerce plugins.

Pros

We use WordPress for more than ten websites, the top three of which have more than a million visitors per month. So, with the right hosting platform, WordPress can be "enterprise". What I like the most is that we've been able to train more than 50 content producers to easily use the system. There is so much self-help training (just not from WordPress itself, all 3p) out there that you can pretty much teach yourself anything. We especially like the SEO courses that all have modules about WordPress--that's crucial because trying to do SEO yourself, without good tools and processes, is a huge time sink. WordPress has so many plugins that you can find anything almost anything you need.

Cons

The greatest strength, the extensibility through plugins, is also a huge weakness. The "batteries not included" model means that you will spend a lot of time selecting, managing and updating plugins. This is still easier than coding site features yourself, but the all-in-one approach of competitors like Wix or Squarespace is pretty attractive if you don't want to configure a bunch of disparate pieces of software.

Drupal and Joomla

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

Sitecore was just awful. No one but C# developers could use it. Their newest offering, SXA, to visually make pages, was a complete joke. We had to switch.

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

We choose WordPress because it has the richest ecosystem of software and hosting options. We made it customized for our needs with very little expense. Plus, almost every creative agency is able to use it, and that's really helpful for keeping costs low.
Jeheen Mahmood
Jeheen Mahmood

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

This is WordPress, do I need to say more! My entire blogging business is based on this one...

I started making my own websites and assiting with other's projects with only 30 minutes of training. I knew near to zero about web development. Then I watched a video tutorial of the basics and that was enough to start me on my way.

I learned by doing new things, stumbling on new issues, then learning from the mistake and troubleshooting from online forums. Now I have 10-15 websites at a time and also help my clients with their websites. Of course, I am still learning and I am no coder, I have 0 coding knowledge. Yet I manage to do a lot of things without any coding.

Pros

The way a total layman can pick up the basics and publish a website for oneself is mind boggling. I know there are even easier solutions. I tried them. But no one, absolutely no one has the same balance of freedom, ease of use and gradual learning curve like WordPress.

Cons

It's an open market when it comes to WordPress. If you dont like something, it is likely that there are at least 10 alternatives. So I can not say I dont like something, I KNOW there is an alternative that I would like.

The new Gutenberg update had caught me unaware like thousands of other users and I am still using the old interface (guilty!), so that transition might be called somthing that gave me a hiccup. Again as I said, there are always alternatives, you can use several plugins to revert to old WordPress OR you can even use page builders.

Wix and Weebly

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

Freedom, cheaper cost, fast development, and many more reasons.
Tayyab
Tayyab

Reviewed on 11/07/2020

Develop Instant Website for any Company

I am a blogger and using WordPress since 2018 and find it very helpful. I can manage the whole team easily and efficiently. It provides me whole features to design and develop my website without any hustle. I am very satisfied with the WordPress platform because it helping me a lot without taking my extra time.

Pros

WordPress is one of the best platforms that allow us to develop our own website for free. The dashboard of the platform is quite easy and attractive. The Integration level of WordPress is on the next level because it can easily integrate any plugin by just a simple search in the plugin option. It is very secure as well as easy to use with a simple interface.

Cons

Updates are the biggest cons of WordPress in which there is the possibility of losing data. Sometimes it is difficult to find the related plugin according to your desire then you need to develop custom plugins.

Wix, Jimdo, Weebly and Joomla

Reasons for Switching to WordPress

Wordpress's simple interface attracts me than others. The most important thing in blogging is SEO optimization and WordPress allows you to use plugins properly in on-page SEO than other platforms. So, I prefer WordPress to others.
Chirag
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 10/09/2021

WordPress improved our web presence with little effort

We love WordPress. In one of our companies, a staff member took upon them to set up their website to save on cost. Web development companies are expensive. I set up WordPress for them. They were able to set up a website and go live within days at a fraction of the cost they would have otherwise paid to marketing agencies. SEO has worked great. Forms have worked well. We have enjoyed moving all of our sites to WordPress.

Pros

WordPress is easy! Within 20 minutes, we had our website up and running. With a 30 minute training session, staff was able to post blogs, create pages, create menus and set up forms. Prior to WordPress, setting up a website was a project. With WordPress, website management is a breeze.

Cons

When automatic updates break something, it's not easy to debug. For those users who don't host WordPress themselves, this would be less of an issue. We host WordPress sites ourselves and enable automated updates. Once in a while updates break our site and we have to debug it by logging on to our servers.

Reviewed on 14/10/2022

Wordpress saves time and makes updates easy

I spent many years coding websites using html and CSS. Many years ago, when I needed a simple site creating quickly, I discovered CMSs like WordPress and tried a few. The results weren't as polished back then as they are now, but the potential was huge. I continued using WordPress because it was free and well supported, and it is now my first choice when creating a new site.

Pros

I love the 'what you see is what you get' editing that Wordpress provides, but like knowing that I can also switch to full html/CSS code editing if I want to.

Cons

Because Wordpress allows almost infinite customisation through plugins, there is the risk of installing a badly written or not well maintained plugin, which could potentially affect your website negatively. Fortunately, plugins have a rating system and show the amount of active users to help with decision making.

Joomla

Reasons for Choosing WordPress

I switched to Wordpress because it was free, well supported and well respected.

Adobe Dreamweaver and Joomla

Reputation and plugin support
Romaric
Romaric

Reviewed on 23/11/2022

Wordpress

WordPress helps me to maintain a nice & smooth web design experience and enables me to remain responsive as per meeting up with our client's project expectations. It's really a nice CMS and I highly recommend it to every web design aspirant.

Pros

WordPress is the most flexible and easy-to-work-with CMS I've used so far. I tried out other alternatives like Drupal and others, but WordPress makes the entire web-building experience easy.The tool is beginner friendly and supports a lot of third-party plugins which broadens its functionality, making my designs look great.There are many documents (provided by wordpress.org) for beginners who are just getting started and kin of help to minimize the apprenticeship process.I can't emphasize enough the flexibility I have when working on my projects (and clients') with WordPress. As a matter of, it's a tool I can't do without.

Cons

One major problem with WordPress is that there is no live support--the only place to get the support it's the community forum which isn't guaranteed (as support is provided by random users).

Eldar
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 20/06/2023

WordPress is a great open source tool to start your website almost for free

WordPress is a great system and solution for everyone who wants to create a high-level website without any code skills, give it a try it takes some time to control it but it's worth it.

Pros

-Free open-source tool with a big community and it continues to evolve.-Designed to make your website responsive to Desktop, Mobile, and Tablet-Its have a huge market of plugins for every need some are for free and some not-It's very flexible for modifications.-It's not very hard to move your site to another host.-Basically, you can create with it any website you want like an online store, blog, landing pages, or online courses.-If you are out of time to design your site there are a lot of ready themes to use.-A comfortable dashboard to control your site and monitor it.

Cons

-Sometimes you will meet some options or elements hard to delete or modify which will require some code use.-There is no official support if you get stuck, most of the solutions will be found online from the community posts or youtube but it's not a real problem.

• Industry: Design

Reviewed on 3/10/2018

Ranging from DIY to fully customized, anybody can create amazing websites using WordPress

I have been using WordPress exclusively for over 5 years. I have built hundreds of sites in this time for clients using the WordPress platform, and I won't even touch a redesign or rebuild website project unless the client agrees to move their site over to WordPress.

This might limit me in some ways, I am sure. However, as far as being able to create websites that work for my customers, don't require a degree in computer science, and won't break the bank, WordPress is the way to go.

Pros

I love the versatility of WordPress the most. It is ever expanding and not only keeping up with all things current on the web when it comes to design and development, but setting the standards, in my opinion, of how a web design or development platform should be.

Do you need a simple blog and a contact page for your personal needs or even small business or hobby? WordPress can do that, no problem.

Do you need to create a more robust website with functionality that would enable you to take payments from customers in a data safe & secure environment? WordPress can do that, no problem!

Or, maybe you want to create your own website template or theme reselling business and sell your creations to others who also wish to use WordPress as their web building platform? Yes, WordPress can do that too! What's so great about the versatility of this platform, is that you can even build the e-commerce site to do this, on WordPress.

Cons

I'd have to say that even though there are hundreds and thousands of WordPress plugins and themes to choose from online, many of which are free, the availability of so many different options when it comes to how you develop your WordPress site, is quite frustrating at times. Actually, it's the least favorite part about WordPress for me.

It's not specifically that the learning curve is incredibly steep, it's that there are so many plugin and theme options to learn about, as well as learn (often by trial and lots of error if you are DIY) how these all interact with each other, that can lead to many a frustrating experience.

Ashley
Ashley

Reviewed on 4/12/2018

Not a fan of WordPress

It isn't my favorite website building tool. I will work with it if that is what the client wants or what they already have, but if I am building from scratch I try to point my client toward sites with higher levels of security or functions they need already built in.

Pros

Because the platform is open source, people can build plugins and templates for the platform. You can purchase templates to make your website look nice and it does have a lot of features - that you can add on, typically with an additional fee. I think it is fantastic for certain types of websites, but if you need advanced functionalities, I would recommend going with a platform that already has those tools, especially if it is eCommerce.

Cons

Don't get me wrong, WordPress is a very popular and easy tool to use - with the right plugins or if you are experienced in coding. However, WordPress is a platform that is very very easy to mess up if you don't know what you are doing.
Additionally, I have found WordPress to be an insecure and easy to hack platform for a few reasons.
1) The updates to the platform itself happen frequently but without much warning to plugin developers, so a plugin can break your site if the platform itself updates.
2) Because it is open source, it is a very popular platform for SQL injection and hacking attacks. Nearly every WordPress website that I currently manage had an experience with hacking, malware, SQL injection and more prior to becoming a client. You need special plugins to keep your site safe. They don't automatically come with it
3) Many newbies at web design don't know that in order for your SEO plugins (the ones that Google likes) to work properly, you actually have to put information in them. They don't work automatically so just having it on the site isn't enough.
4) One bad designer can cause a lot of problems that are not so easy to fix, especially if they mess with things they shouldn't.

Stanislav
Stanislav

Reviewed on 8/02/2019

WordPress is the universal CMS

Excellent product and overall experience. WordPress helped me build out several sites and in general get a feel for web design. I'm a digital marketer, so I mostly do edits and not full-blown buildouts, but even those are easy with this CMS. I highly recommend WP for anything but large scale e-commerce.

Pros

Without a doubt, the biggest thing about WordPress are all the plugins that are available. Whatever you end up wanting to do with your Wordpress website, there's a big chance that there's already a plugin for it, which not only allows you to perform complex operations without any coding knowledge, but provides you with additional tools to fully customise the setup.
With WordPress the sky is the limit to what you can do and its often a matter of being able to find plugins and tinkering with them until you've added a desired functionality.
Since it might not be fair to talk only about plugins of third parties, while reviewing the WordPress CMS (although they are a big reason it is so good), I'll also try and cover some of the things I like about the platform itself.
Firstly, it is an ever evolving one and there are constant updates. I remember when I first used WordPress and began editing and later building a few websites some 5 years ago. Back then the CMS was more basic and you would often need some coding skills to get around. Fast forward to today, themes and plugins have advanced greatly and there is far less need for actual coding - it's being done by third parties. WordPress themselves have done a great job at improving the CMS in terms of content editing capabilities for regular posts.

Cons

The core of the CMS could be expanded more to include popular options you get with plugins. Third party plugins can sometimes slow down a website or conflict with one another due to coding incompatibilities. Because of this and the fact that WP can get cluttered with a bunch of plugins and you eventually end up with a backend that's hard to navigate, I think they should expand on the core a lot more than they have been.

Jason
Jason

Reviewed on 24/05/2019

Easy, fast, ridiculously customizable

Years ago, when I first started using WordPress, it was because I'd been doing the occasional client website from scratch for many years. HTML, coded by hand, graphic and colors layouts, etc. Eventually it no longer made sense, especially as we moved into the era of working with databases, caching systems, etc. It just made sense to find a solution that already had that backend in place, rather than reinventing the wheel every time. So I tried several systems: Drupal, Joomla, and others, before finally coming to WordPress. When I finally tried it, it was a revelation: lots of clear documentation, a massive community of users who help each other through the learning curve and the assorted issues that inevitably appear, more plugins and themes than you could ever imagine.

I stumbled a bit with the learning curve back then, though mind you, this was at least a decade ago. WordPress, in the time since, has become so easy to setup that most web hosts these days will, in fact, do it automatically at the press of a button if that's what you wish. Basic setup couldn't be any easier, in my estimation, and for a lot of people, that will be enough. If you're a more advanced user, however, there will be plenty of opportunities for you to extend the system's capabilities.

Beyond plugins, there are also countless cloud services that integrate with WordPress in various ways. For example, FreshWorks offers a number of systems, such as help desk ticketing, live customer support chat, etc.

Pros

I've been using WordPress for many years, and the thing I like most is that it's constantly evolving, changing, becoming more than it was. Year after year, absolutely without fail, WordPress becomes a more sophisticated, more streamlined, more functional system for managing websites, and I can't recommend it enough.

Cons

Like any software system, WordPress has a learning curve that can be a little challenging if you're new to the world of Content Management Systems. You'll hear a lot about all that WP can do, and it's true, but often, that functionality comes via plugins or custom built themes you'll have to add yourself. It's not hard, and if you're an experienced web person, you'll get it easily, but for the newbie it might be a challenge. Don't worry, you can manage it, though.

Sacha

Reviewed on 27/09/2019

Professional websites for (almost) every need

Adopting Wordpress as a solution for your customers that need a website, is a mandatory choice: setting up the environment is a matter of minutes, the server requirements are common and available on almost any web hosting service, the community behind Wordpress is really huge and, with standard design and programming skills, you can really pack wonderful products.
The core of Wordpress (the starting package) has a lot, but the full power of the framework is unleashed thanks to the plugin architecture and the template system (themes).
Plugins add almost any kind of functionality: from social media needs to showcases and e-commerce; from impressive sliders to portfolios and newsletters.
Themes (the template system) allow you to design truly effective communication: modern themes are designed to allow users to craft their website with an incredible detail, providing end users with the most beautiful experience. As of today, you can install a theme and setup any kind of template, for any section of your website. Not only: Wordpress is greatly devoted to web standards and trends and it looks perfect on desktop computers, tablets and smartphones.
We jumped on Wordpress since the first version, back in 2003. Since then, while implementing other solutions for huge online stores, we could provide a solution for small and medium enterprises at an incredibly affordable price. And this is really a great advantage: everyone can get a professional and effective product. Thumbs up!

Pros

Server requirements are minimal and available at a small price from any web hosting service.
Plugins architecture allow you to add almost any functionality to the website and easily write one, if you need a specific tool.
Template system - the so called "themes" - allow you to craft incredibly beautiful and responsive - looking perfect on any device - design.
A huge community of developers makes sure you can solve problems fast.
Websites can be up and running in almost no time. And can be updated and maintained by any designer/programmer, thanks to its architecture and ease of use.
Your customers can update the website easily, with an intuitive and easy to use backend.
Last but not least - at all! - as a developer and designer you can provide great products that are absolutely cost-effective.

Cons

If you have to run a complex online store, with a lot of products and categories, thousands of visitors and specific e-commerce needs, Wordpress might not be the perfect choice. But if you provide solutions for personal, small and medium businesses, this won't be a problem at all.

Site
Site

Reviewed on 2/11/2019

WordPress overall review

- I can't miss out on the chance to recommend WordPress to anyone. You kind of don't "re-invent the wheel" anymore (coding from scratch). It helps me save time and energy in creating a website for my clients rather than creating it from scratch. WordPress is generic, meaning it suits the need for any kind of website you may want to create (blog, eCommerce, portfolio, organizational, etc)

Pros

- Using WordPress is one of the easiest and fastest ways to set up a website without the need for extra cost for an experienced Web Developer.
- WordPress being a free Content Management System (CMS) handles a lot of things for you. For example Security, Performance, File uploads, Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and many more.
- As a part-time Freelance Web Developer, I can actually create any category of a website for my clients, ranging from personal to blog to eCommerce to organizational without having to code anything from scratch. This saves me a lot of time and energy.
- It is widely used and very popular, powering millions of websites. This makes it easy to have online assistance just by Googling the technical issue you face.
- WordPress comes with free and paid website templates that can be integrated directly and has thousands of plugins that permits me to add more functionalities to my clients' websites, all these without coding. Some of these added functionalities include contact form submission, user registration, accepting online payments, newsletter and many more.
- It is so easy to customize or update content found on any webpage of your website.
- One of the greatest features of WordPress is the ability for multiple admin users to be able to work on the website with their accounts created and their roles defined as it is the case in our company (our main university website is powered by WordPress)

Cons

- WordPress requires a database to run.
- WordPress is widely used (powers millions of websites). This makes it vulnerable as a security flaw could be discovered and exploited by malicious individuals.