Melio Reviews

4.2

4.2

About Melio

Melio is an accounts payable solution that helps small businesses manage online payments via bank transfers and debit or credit cards. Key features include payment scheduling, automated data synchronization, reporting, invoicing,...

4.1

Browse Melio Reviews

merroudj
merroudj
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 26/09/2022

fast and easy payment processing

At this point in the Melio Payments review, I can honestly say that it's worthwhile to try, particularly given that it's free. For freelancers, accountants, and small enterprises, it's a fantastic financial solution. The latter group may automate their bills or payments and handle all of their customers from a single platform.

Pros

A very tidy, straightforward, but effective tool for paying bills and invoices, Payment processing, is quite simple compared to its rivals; it is substantially more productive. This product's flawless integration with our accounting software is why we chose it. Additionally, it eliminates the inconvenience of printing and sending paper checks. Recipient changes of the payment method selected are seamless

Cons

Improved phone customer service is something I would like to see no other recommendations now. Vendors are added with their Melio links, and those vendors currently in QuickBooks should automatically connect. Now, when you do that, a new vendor is formed and is not connected to the one that presently exists in QuickBooks. Wishlist: It would be nice if there were an option to send international wire transfers in different currencies. If it is wholly linked with Wave Invoicing, it would be fantastic and allow a free connected workflow.

Jamie

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

Melio is the best and works seamlessly with QBO

There were a few kinks at first but most of them have been worked out, the customer service is great. I have enjoyed working with them to fix issues or work out bugs. The ease of the app and ability of the integration with QBO is unprecedented and has seriously saved me hundreds of hours for each client that I handle bookkeeping for. I love how quick and easy it is, and it's all in one platform, incoming, outgoing and history. I love everything about Melio.

Pros

The fact that it is free for ACH and has the integration with QBO. It has become my go to for my clients and bill paying and payment processing. I can track all of there A/R and A/P and submit payments or receive payments with a click of a button, makes it so easy and simple. I recommend to my clients and I use it myself almost daily. I love how it gives you options, you pay the fee or your customer does, they make the call on how they want to be paid via check or ACH. It just makes sense.

Cons

The fact that the ACH option still takes sometimes 3, 5 or even 7 days to receive does put a strain on cash flow for some clients. The processing of checks also seems to take a really long time, sometimes I will get a bill in and go immediately to setup payment and it states the received date would still be after the due date which makes it frustrating at times. I appreciate the 2 checks a month for free before charging and realize it can't all be free, but it was nice when it was free. I also wish they had more business to person options, not just B2B. This would be super valuable for Non-profits to save on processing fees as well as some MLM businesses.

Response from Melio

Hi Jaime, thank you for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Replied 29/11/2022
Jeff

Reviewed on 24/01/2022

Fantastic Idea, poor implementation, horrific customer service

Really poor customer service, no one is able to help or give advice, and it's a total waste of my time.

Pros

It was easy to set up an account and has a pleasing aesthetic. I was really excited to find it. It's easy to set up vendors and create an invoice (took just a tiny bit of trial and error, but it's very self explanatory).

Cons

It took 6 weeks and numerous emails and chat messages to get them to send a test payment to verify my company bank account. Finally someone who said they were a specialist or a manager said that they had put in a manual override to get my test payments sent. That should have been a warning sign.

Then I tried to send my first payment to my vendor, and when I did it said the payment failed and I needed to contact compliance, with no additional information. I've gotten a dribble of requests asking for IRS letters and articles of organization. I've sent them in, but I have had no response as to why I was rejected, why they didn't ask for that information up front if it was going to be needed (it was very foreseeable), and there's no way to get a hold of anyone else. So, I've been waiting for 8+ weeks total and still don't have a functioning product, I don't have any idea what is wrong, and there's no way to contact anyone. The on-site chat rep tells me that they're not authorized to answer my questions and that I need to email the compliance team, but the compliance team is totally unresponsive.

Reasons for Switching to Melio

I thought I'd try Melio because it is sleek, low cost, and seemed like it might be more modern than Bill.com (which I've found to be good but clunky for other businesses I own).

Response from Melio

Hi Jeff, thanks for reaching out. Melio requires an EIN or SSN to approve your account for use. Sometimes, our Compliance team requires further information to verify a business and approve the account. As our Support team does not have access to Compliance decisions, Compliance must indeed be contacted directly. We can confirm our Compliance team has been in touch with you via email regarding your account, and requested further information to possibly overturn their decision and review your account as of today, January 27th. Please note, our teams are available Monday-Friday 9am-6pm EST.
Best Regards,

Replied 27/01/2022

Top Melio Alternatives

Melissa

Reviewed on 31/03/2022

Melio helps me get my vendors paid easily and on-time FOR FREE!

Pros

Melio integrates VERY WELL with QBO. I'm able to set up vendor bills/payments with a simple approval workflow quickly and easily. My vendors can choose how they are paid (paper check or direct deposit) and I can choose how to pay them (bank account or credit card). Paying with a bank account is FREE!

Cons

I'm finding that my vendor addresses don't carry over from QBO to Melio, so the first time I pay a vendor in Melio I have to type in the vendor address in Melio, even though it's already set up in QBO. It's a minor inconvenience that I'm hopeful Melio will fix. (Their customer support is great!)

Reasons for Choosing Melio

We switched to Melio because we wanted a cost-effective way to pay vendors without printing paper checks in the office.

Quickbooks Online

Bill.com is SO EXPENSIVE
Milena

Love it so far

Great! I am very happy with all features Melio provides and will recommend it to anyone who needs a payment processing system.

Pros

I love Melio. It is very easy to use, and really convenient. I am able to provide more services while spending less time per client. Thank you!

Cons

I had a problem with a Wire transfer once, I haven't tried it again to know if the issue was fixed. Will update when I use it again.

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Bill.com was much more expensive and provides almost the same features.

Pricing and a client

Response from Melio

Hi Milena, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Replied 18/11/2022
Vic

Melio pays

I rely on it to pay and get paid.

Pros

It's effortless to set up. More importantly it's easy for my clients to accept and adopt the software into their business.

Cons

Web interface a bit clunky for desktop users.

Price.

Reasons for Switching to Melio

Price mostly but clients seem to like it better than bill.com.

Response from Melio

Hi Vic, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Replied 21/11/2022
Marialuisa

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Great for Saving Money on Credit Card and ACH Charges

Very easy to use.

Pros

I love that there is no cost for sending my invoices and having the customer absorb the cost of credit card fees or ACH fees.

Cons

It's pretty limited and it had an issue once that I canceled a scheduled recurring payment but it continued to send payment to a vendor for months before I noticed. It did send notices via email, however so that is one me. The reason I didn't notice was because the payments were so close together, I thought the notices were the same payment. So when I got both notices, I didn't realize it was two separate payments.

Response from Melio

Hi Marialuisa, we're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use. Thank you for sharing this review with us and the community!

Replied 21/11/2022
Beverly

Reviewed on 28/04/2022

Good unless you need a critical payment to be processed immediately

Up until the failed same-day payments, it had been a pretty good way for us to send out payments without having to get checks signed. I am very disappointed with the same day payment issues though.

Pros

It's free and can be used by the owner from his cell phone.

Cons

We had two critical payments that had to go out same day. We paid $30 to have them expedited and they both failed. Customer service could not tell me why and the issue was never resolved.

Lisa

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

Best way to pay vendors- bar none

Easy to implement, and support is great!

Pros

The full integration with in QuickBooks online makes this an easy choice for streamlined and efficient processes.

Cons

It is difficult to know exactly when a vendor will receive a payment. Should be two days but sometimes has been five days. Especially in the beginning of using the software.

Response from Melio

Hi Lisa, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Replied 18/11/2022
Adam
Adam

Reviewed on 11/09/2023

Melio – Manage your ACH payments

What sets Melio apart for me is its simplicity, especially when it comes to regular vendors. Sending payments is easy and the platform also allows me to keep a record of all payments made during the year. This is incredibly helpful come tax time.

Pros

I have been using Melio to manage payments to suppliers and contractors. The platform allows us to process ACH payments completely free of charge, which is an incredible benefit. You only incur a cost if you send more than two checks per month. I like its design and the speed at which payments are processed.

Cons

What I don't like is the customer support, it is very, very slow, and when you have a problem with a transaction it can be very tedious and time consuming.

Response from Melio

Hi Adam, thanks for sharing your feedback. We are glad to know you're finding Melio to be such a resourceful tool. We take feedback about our offerings very seriously and we're sorry to hear you've been having a difficult time reaching our support team. Our support team is available for live chat Monday- Friday 9am- 8pm EST to help with any immediate needs. However, please feel free to reach out with any additional concerns via email to [email protected].

Replied 7/11/2023
Herbert
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

Painless payments for painful payees

Excellent

Pros

I was able to set up payments to the very few vendors that absolutely demand being paid via ACH rather than needing to consolidate my business transactions through a software suite to make it worthwhile.
It is also incredibly affordable or free for the transactions, and there has not been problems.

Cons

There was a feature that was pretty adept at picking up an invoice PDF and setting it up as a pending bill, but the accuracy has gone down. Nothing to cry about though as I have always triple checked things!

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and Quickbooks Online

Easier and more reliable

Reasons for Switching to Melio

No need to consolidate my business into a software package that locks you into renewals. I can switch banks, accounting software, addresses etc. and Melio is just for paying bills. No need to be all things.

Response from Melio

Hi Herbert, thank you for the fantastic review. We are delighted to hear Melio has been able to take some of the pain out of making business payments - it's what we're here for. We would also like to thank you for your feedback which we will pass along to the team.
All the best,

Replied 20/12/2020
Ochana

Reviewed on 3/01/2023

Love Melio for Large Orders!

Pros

In our line of contracting, we purchase houses from the mainland. Melio allows us to pay large amounts of money through ACH. It saves us wire xfer costs.

Cons

Waiting for Business to Customer or SoleProp Sub-Contractors payments. Only B2B xfers allowed at this time. We need to pay individual subcontractors and refund clients at certain times and the ACH is the best way to accomplish this. Please enable this function so that we aren't limited to whom we send money to with your product. We also cannot have customers pay us through Melio... sometimes payments of over $100K for building are needed, and we have to send them to the bank to do a wire xfer. Please enable C2B payments.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

We use them both. Quickbooks limits payments to $50K

Response from Melio

Hi Ochana, thanks for sharing this review. We are happy to hear you are finding Melio useful and we appreciate this feedback. If we offer the option of consumer to business payments in the future, please know we'll be sure to make this known.

Replied 5/01/2023
Carisa

Melio Simplifies the Payables Proecess

Melio has streamlined our accounting process internally and with our clients. it has given us the ability to work in remote situations and process payments for clients no matter where we are. The payment status and tracking has been key to making sure vendors receive payments and deposit them.

Pros

Melio is an easy app to setup. It's integration into the accounting software is key. It is easy to use and customer service can help with any issues like Stop payments or reissuing payments which saves time on the payables side. It is a benefit that vendors can receive ACH or Checks all with a click of a button!

Cons

The cost per check can be a con of the product, since we went from using it on its inception it was an inconvenience to have to start paying a fee per payment. however the application is still less expensive than the alternative products. The process time is a bit slow, you have to anticipate about 7 business days before payment is received by a vendor.

Response from Melio

Hi Carisa, thank you for sharing this review. We're happy to hear Melio has simplified the accounts payable process for your business. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to our team.

Replied 10/05/2023
Beau
  • Industry: Media Production

Melio is my hero!!!!

Excellent- it takes so much of the organizational hassle out of our billing and payouts.

Pros

It just takes everything off my plate. I don't have to write checks, it has free ACH transfers (for both sides), quickbooks integration, invoice cataloging, payment scheduling, and my favorite... being able to tie multiple company profiles under one admin account! As someone who owns a few [very different] small businesses with different teams, I can keep everything separate and organized, but all under the same login.

Cons

I wish there was some way to store W9's to a contractor's profile in Melio. I don't even need to be able to file 1099s via Melio (although that would be awesome) but this tiny little organizational tool would be really helpful in staying compliant since no one else (like Quickbooks) has this.

Response from Melio

Hi Beau, thanks for taking the time to share this review. We're thrilled to be your hero by providing a streamlined experience for your businesses and we're committed to providing you with an excellent user experience. We'll be sure to pass this feedback along to the team.

Replied 17/05/2023
Joe

Reviewed on 12/01/2023

Melio Almost Put Me Out of Business

Horrible customer experience when I was hacked last month. It is still not resolved. Someone set themselves up as a vendor and then attempted to pay themselves. The fraudulant contacts are still not out of my account and my account has been frozen for over a month despite claims that it is all cleared up. Foolishly I believed them and attempted to pay my key suppliers again. I came back over the holidays to find that no payments had gone out and almost lost my biggest supplier/vendor. Multiple chats and even a message to one of their executives on LinkedIn (his response illustrated why their customer experience is so poor) have yielded nothing. Despite the headache to set up all my vendors again on another service, that is what I am doing. DON'T USE THIS SERVICE.

Pros

easy to set up and use -- had been reliable until my account was hacked over a month ago. Since then it has been inop.

Cons

unbelievably poor customer support. They have no phone option and are limited on chat. They will promise you a quick email response, but then it never happens.

Response from Melio

Hi Joe, thanks for sharing this feedback. We take inquiries related to fraud seriously and would like to investigate this issue further. We cannot find any correspondence with your information. Please email our support team with "Capterra: urgent" in the subject line and we'll be sure to get to the bottom of this. Please know this is of top priority to us.

Replied 6/02/2023
Kallie
  • Industry: Online Media

Reviewed on 2/05/2023

Melio saved us in a crunch and we've stayed for years!

It can be hard to find a trustworthy site to send money but we always felt safe with Melio and they have great support to help at any time. Their rules and timing for sending money are simple so once you read those, everything is straightforward and you know exactly when your money will arrive / vice versa.

Pros

We needed to make a payment fast and were having some issues with our bank which required an in person appointment. Finding Melio saved the day and we were able to process the payment quickly, safely, and very conveniently. The cost to use a credit card is the standard 2.9% fee which is invaluable when you want to leverage credit but are in a space where many companies only accept wire transfers.

Cons

I had a payment or two rejected before I knew that you could only select the "I have already received the goods" for my industry but other than that, I had a perfect experience with Melio.

Response from Melio

Hi Kallie, thanks for sharing this five star review. We're delighted to hear that Melio has allowed you to process payments quickly, safely, and conveniently. Our goal is to consistently deliver the support and assistance you require for your business. We greatly appreciate your continued support over the years and we'll be sure to pass this feedback along.

Replied 17/05/2023
Brandon
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 5/01/2022

FAILED PAYMENTS NO RESPONSE from SUPPORT TEAM/NOT RECEIVING FUNDS BACK

Pros

This is an easy feature included with our accounting software. It's a great feature unless you actually need support which is where it becomes a nightmare.

Cons

Since the [SENSITIVE CONTENT], we have been promised a return of funds for failed payments to a vendor. As of the [SENSITIVE CONTENT], no funds have been received. In addition, I emailed 6 (SIX) executives twice imploring their assistance and no one has yet to respond. We have filed a complaint with the BBB as well since they have technically withheld funds since November.

I would highly recommend to stay away from this service until they can improve their customer support team and process.

Ease of use.

Response from Melio

Hi Brandon, we are sorry to hear about your experience. We would be happy to look into resolving these issues for you ASAP. Please provide your first and last name, as well as the email address associated with your account to [email protected]. A team member will respond and look into resolving your issue ASAP.

Replied 10/01/2022
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

They Cancelled My Account

Not dandy, not happy

Pros

I have no idea if I cannot use it, I cannot know

Cons

My client wanted to pay with a bank transfer, so I signed up for Melio. I set up the account, verify the deposit, all looked like it is working properly. Now my client signed the contract, I sent him a payment request, he paid and a day later I get notified that my account could not be verified and the payment won't go through. This is so embarrassing. Instead of them contacting me and request whatever proof they need, do this discreetly, and continue the process, they just kicked me off. I have no idea why. Why not at the time I signed up. Why am I verifying my bank account last week was not enough? It is a business account. This payment is business to business. My business has been around since 2011. I really don't know. Now I either have to find another payment method or somehow get this back working and ask my client again to pay. It is just not a reliable way for me to do business. They will wonder if I cannot even get their payment coming through what kind of service I will provide. That is a bad way to build trust with a new client. Thanks, Melio

Response from Melio

Hi, our Risk & Compliance team determined we are unable to support your transactions. While we cannot publicly discuss the details of your case, if you would like to provide us with further information and appeal our decision you can reach out directly to: [email protected].
Sincerely,

Replied 28/06/2021
Mary
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 19/11/2022

Great Product for small business owners

I've recommended Melio to all small business owners that I've met across the board and utilize it for all 5 of my own companies. This helps me so much in terms of organization and cash flow.

Pros

I love that I can control cash flow easily using Melio - it will remind me about when bills are due, I can easily see what I have outstanding, search for paid/unpaid invoices by vendor and plan out when my bills are best paid.

Cons

I would love to add an entry area to specify the difference between "delivery date" and "due date".

Response from Melio

Hi Mary, thank you for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Replied 22/11/2022
Zane
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

A God Among Men

We use Melio to send all our ACH transfers. You can quickly upload and create bills and schedule payments for whenever they are due. when you send transfers via your business debit card, they arrive to your vendors NEXT DAY! It's super easy and actually fun to use.

They also have the ability to pay your vendors via credit card, so they charge your card and deliver the funds to your vendor's bank account for a small fee. It really helps us keep up with cash flow, plus the 2% back from the credit card makes the fee almost non existent.

And with the direct connection to Quickbooks Online, its super easy to sync all your vendors, bills and payments, making Melio a perfect bill management application. We'd recommend it to everyone.

Pros

- Free to use
- Free to send bank transfers
- Low cost to send bank transfers by charging a credit card
- Perfect bill management application
- Gorgeous and responsive UI
- Syncs directly with Quickbooks
- Quick and responsive support staff

Cons

No ability to pay international vendors via credit card transactions, but no one does that so not really a loss.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 23/12/2022

I recommend melio

Excellent! I am very satisfied with Melio and will recommend it

Pros

it Work on receipt installment companies, contractors, and free or low-cost bank transfers.Pratical for beginners because of There are no ongoing monthly fees.

Cons

So far, everything has gone well, without any complications.

Response from Melio

Hi there, thank you for leaving this review. We are happy to hear this has been your experience with Melio.

Replied 28/12/2022
Karen
  • Industry: Commercial Real Estate

Reviewed on 30/09/2022

Worst customer service ever!!

Pros

No pros at this point. I thought that this was going to be a great choice, but it is not!

Cons

I processed 13 bill payments on 9/6, the funds were withdrawn from my account immediately. I started to receive phone calls from my credit card accounts, bank, insurance companies saying that payment was never received. I immediately looked at the QBO account, then my checking account. I reached out to MELIO via a chat and email. I was able to chat with a representative who eventually told me that "Unfortunately there was a bug in the system that prevented the payments from going out." REALLY?? And you couldn't even make your clients aware of this when it was occurring or even afterwards?! NOPE, now I have incurred late fees, and penalties. I requested that they overnight mail these checks to my vendors with an explanation of what occurred on their end, but was told that there was no way for the system to expedite payments, but could give me promotions for future payments as long as I was eligible. I requested contact with someone in a supervisory role, but have never heard from anyone. Again, all their fault, but no responsibility taken on their end. This company is just a joke, and I have expressed my concern with their business practices to Quickbooks as well. If you are thinking of a billpay service--stay away from MELIO!!

Jim
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 25/07/2022

Non Responsive Support

We reported a very serious fraudulent activity over a week ago, since this time I have been trying to get someone associated with Melio to contact us in order to share additional information concerning this case. Trying to reach someone within the Melio organization is a joke, I am extremely frustrated by the lack response when it comes to urgent matters.

For this reason only, I would NEVER recommend anyone to use Melio. It is fine until a situation arises then you are absolutely 100% on your own. A simple call or a follow-up email from a live person versus automated responses would go a long way.

Pros

The product is easy to use, however customer support is NON-EXISTENT. There is NO WAY to reach an actual person, either via phone or "Live Chat". So far my experience with Meilo 's customer support has been absolutely horrible.

Cons

Customer Service/Support Team is unreachable & non responsive

Response from Melio

Hi Jim,

We appreciate you voicing your concerns and would love the chance to turn this experience around for you. We're currently investigating further to see if your case has been resolved or if you need further assistance. To make sure we have all the correct info, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line "Capterra review". Kindly include your account name, contact details and a brief explantation of the issue you've been experiencing. We will ensure your case is placed on high priority and responded to by a member of our support team within the next 1-2 business days.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Replied 31/07/2022
Barb

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Good System - Needs some tweaks

I have onboarded 2 clients. The first one went well. The second one did not. We had to verify the bank account the deposits did not come through. I kept getting different answers from customer service. Sometimes saying they had gone out, and sometimes saying they had not gone out yet. Back and forth. I think it took about 10 days for them to finally send them out. I still don't know why.

Pros

Very inexpensive way to send ACH payments. ACH is free. Paying with a CC is not, but that's not surprising. Ability to sync bills/payments to/from Quickbooks Online.

Cons

All payments/bills have to be paid one at a time even if it's the same vendor. Need a way to pay more than one at once to be more efficient. No good reports to see what payments have been sent out.

Response from Melio

Hi Barb, thank you for posting this review and providing us with valuable feedback. We will pass your input along to the relevant teams. We are sorry to hear about the issue you had but are glad it was finally resolved. Happy to hear you find Melio helpful and cost-effective.
All the best,

Replied 20/12/2020
Melissa

Reviewed on 1/06/2022

Missing Payments and No Customer Service

Numerous payments were never received by vendors. If payments are expediated they are supposed to be sent out via Fed-Ex yet they are unable to provide tracking information. The only way to contact them is via chat and there is no way to speak to anyone other than the rep you get. They will not escalate any issues

Pros

In the beginning, they were ok. It was a low cost option

Cons

Transaction dates import incorrectly. No way to track payments. Customer service is terrible. No phone support no way to escalate.

Response from Melio

Hi Melissa, thanks for sharing your review.

We would love the chance to turn this experience around for you and are currently investigating further to see if your case has been resolved or if you need further assistance.

To make sure we have all the correct info, kindly send an email to [email protected] with the subject line "Capterra review", including your account name, full contact details and a brief explantation of the issue you experienced. Please also include a ticket number (if you have one).

We'll ensure your case is responded to by a member of our support team within 1-2 business days.

If you have any further questions, you can reach us via live chat during regular business hours (EST).

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

Replied 15/08/2022