athenaOne Reviews

About athenaOne

The athenaOne Suite which includes athenaCollector a revenue cycle management solution and athenaClinials an EHR (electronic health records) recently ranked #1 in 2023 Best in KLAS for athenaClinials Ambulatory EMR for 11-75...

3.6

Browse athenaOne Reviews

Jarred
Jarred

Reviewed on 9/12/2018

Very easy to pick up and get going.

Pros

The user interface is very friendly and everything is set up to guide you through easily while entering patient information.

Cons

Sometimes the add on software like the label printer and document printer would stop working, but that is rare.

Reviewed on 28/03/2024

AthenaOne is a Reliable solution / User friendly!!!

Pros

Reliable, seamless integration, user friendly , excellent customer service

Cons

I don’t have cons yet, it has a great customer service.

Kristin

Reviewed on 7/06/2017

Disheartening, despite ok start, progressively worse over time (less than 6 mos) and continues

Marketed as a product for multiple disciplines and specialties, however, does not support occupational therapy services. OTs are told to use PT templates and configurations despite (1) potential conflicts with documentation for reimbursement and (2) being initially told that OTs were a supported discipline.
Account managers are not useful as they refer back to the service center for all issues. It is an endless cycle. Not knowingly, we were not set up properly before launch, and despite repeatedly telling the AM that the system wasn't sufficient for us and that we had to work harder to make it work for us, 7 months later we find that ours is not configured as it should have been. This was discovered after connecting in The community on The resource hub, which is another brush off that The managers refer clients to repeatedly, as well add o-help. There has been no response on this or even consideration of trying to keep a client happy by an account manager.
The system is severely lacking and counterintuitive, and if individuals make suggestions for improvement, they are "voted on" for consideration, even if the suggestions or requests are standard in the industry or required by governing bodies. Many requests and improvements are not made. We truly question is up to date and compliant.
Clients are told to create templates, or modify current (such as a standard facesheet), by coding them independently. Most medical practitioners (1) are not coders and (2) are not paying for a service that requires more time and effort than less. I was actually told by a higher level account manager that the solution could be to hire an outside coding agency to complete this task (vs it being standard in the existing product or have a dedicated person in Athenahealth that assists with coding needs).
The therapist reviews in the hub are not favorable. Individuals considering purchase of system would never know how many years of complaints exist and "make it work" scenarios. Unfortunately, changing EMRs is not simple and quick and is often costly. The billing portion is fair but mistakes are still made with submission requiring extra time in "hold" and delays in reimbursement. AthenaClinicals is just horrible.
There is a definite environment fostered within Athena that is brush off, dodge issues, let clients figure it out, and if they leave "oh well." We are disheartened and infuriated at the same time. If our practice had the same reviews, both public and internally, I would be very ashamed, take a step back,
and wonder where things went wrong, let alone REALLY wrong.
Bottomline: if anyone sees this who is considering Athena, regardless of discipline, go with another service provider. We as existing clients see ALOT in the community feedback on our resource hub. You will be entering something that you will then be prepared to get out of with excess cost.

Pros

Practice management reports and features are in abundance if that is your priority. The reminder call system does what it is supposed to. Community section in resource hub lets you know that others are just as frustrated and upset. Most of the customer service reps are very pleasant and helpful when the functionality or configuration is there; of it is sub par and missing, they do apologize.

Cons

The clinical documentation product is terrible. Supports physician- based practices vs rehab/OT/PT (though clients can see comments on product for all disciplines). Lack of quality templates that are compliant with regulatory agency requirements. Lack of feedback options. Lack of support. Account managers do not actually help to manage any issues you have with product. Very time consuming to call in for support repeatedly. Athenahealth clearly does not review feedback on community resource hub. Individuals that process Athenafax can be lazy and not process items with documents clearly identified with Athena identifiers/ printing, leaving in review for practice to handle (extra work). Honestly...too many cons to list.

Top athenaOne Alternatives

MedInformatix

Cerner Specialty Practice Management

Intelligent Customer Management

Katherine

Reviewed on 21/12/2023

Happy MD Review

overall outstanding and continues to improve- very smart people!

Pros

intuitive, easy to use, all features in one product

Cons

format of the medical history sectioon and lack of matching patient self-check in answers with history

Sherita

Reviewed on 25/03/2024

ATHENA ONE

Pros

I like the easy use of the system and learning modules.

Cons

I dont like that my manager has to call to update the system with any new forms

Dorothy

Reviewed on 31/08/2022

Going in to second year with Athena

Due to the number of posting errors, frequent changes of account service managers and the need for additional staff to handle the many issues that come up daily, I would never be able to recommend this product to any office.

Pros

There is really little that I can say about liking this software

Cons

Everything to do with billing claims and posting the monies. In addition, Athena calls and texts our patients excessively, to the point that a lot of them have opted out of notifications. I have had several patients recently who wanted Athena's number to complain about their service. That is another thing, you do not have the phone number of that one go-to person for assistance when you hit a wall.

Dr Nicole

Reviewed on 12/05/2020

Nickels and Dimes!

Some good, but everything is too automated and what's important easily falls through the digital cracks.

Pros

Admittedly, the software is easy to use and offers meaningful use suggestions. The five step patient visit is simple to understand. The patient portal is nice, however, the patient facing portion could look more modern. Billing is easy from a practitioner standpoint. It also is starting to integrate with other EMRs so occasionally we can pull labs and imaging from other participating systems.

Cons

Setup was arduous to say the least. Also, once claims are submitted, that's another story. I was sold that this software was all-in-one. They LIED. This is NOT the software for a small practice. They act as if I have an army of billing people when they told me that Athena was all I needed! For example, there was functionality that we needed to be aware of to find an important document from medicare. NO ONE told us and this document languished in some digital box. If we were a hundred person organization, I could pay someone to sit and manage the 20 or so boxes where they put communication. As a result, we got kicked off medicare for THREE months until I found out and remedied the cause.
I was assigned a 'customer success rep' and had to find out who it was because she never scheduled a call. The previous THREE other reps were no better.
They treat small practices like we don't matter.
If you have less than 100 employees, FIND ANOTHER EMR.

I'm in the market for another.

Reviewed on 11/03/2022

Not a good choice for Behavioral Health (psychology, psychiatry, counseling, etc.)

Pros

It is fast; automatically saves most of what you type in; does not crash very often (3-4 times/year); email support requests usually answered within 24 hours; online help knowledge base is comprehensive and it has a good search engine.

Cons

Not designed for mental health EHR, patient management, communication. Primary care clinicians say it's "pretty good" although "EPIC is better". Most behavioral health clinicians do not like Athena (based on support forum polls and Athena even admits it if your decipher the corporate-speak.) Athena rarely designs workflows, templates, and processes for Behavioral Health. They cobble together features and processes used by primary care clinicians and staff and tell us it's designed for Behavioral Health. If Athena employs mental health professionals I've never seen them on video presentations or as authors of "how to" resources or anywhere else.

LeAnne

Easy to use option

Pros

The functionality of it, it is easy to use and to navigate.

Cons

Sometimes the scheduling feature gets wonky but overall it’s solid

• Used Monthly for 1-5 months

HIPAA Compliant and Easy to Navigate

Pros

Ease of use and HIPAA compliance makes it easy to recommend.

Cons

Nothing! This is a great software to use.

Keith

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

Modular Flexibility and 24/7 Access with Value

Great experience for over 8 years now; many of my peers wish they had switched to Athena once they see the capabilities of the product.

Pros

I have seen this software grow over the years and now have friends using it within multiple different services lines in the healthcare industry. Some of the key pros I can think of quickly include:
- Flexibility, (features and design allow of different service locations, and different physicians within the same practice to see/edit EMR information to fit the individual)
- Transparency, (live EMR, Practice Management, Quality Management information is real time)
- ACCESS, simultaneous information access by multiple personnel in the same (or different) practice location
I personally use the product to manage primary care, imaging, laboratory, and physical therapy business lines simultaneously
- Communication with team members and patients by methods of preference (patients can select how they prefer to receive communications (phone, email, text or all)
- Customer service, both online and by phone access the clients get answers to questions quickly.
- Fantastic Online training syllabus. Staff and watch interactive videos to learn new (and more efficient) techniques to use the software in daily tasks. The training material is available 24/7 and moves at the pace the employee prefers.
- Remote access, key team members and physicians can access the information from anywhere at anytime greatly improving communications.

Cons

Advancement requests,or recommendations for improvements, from clients are rated and scored by clients across the system, which is a great design!

Recommendations from the User Community require time to develop, grade, prioritize and implement. Eventually, the highest costumer rated recommendations get attention and are implemented with accuracy; just takes time.

EpicCare, eClinicalWorks and Practice Fusion

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

I had Medinformatix and Praxis previously. The reasons I switch to Athena were many but primarily: -to improve the information/documentation workflow for the physicians; giving the physicians more control of the process and how they view the data. - gain access to better reporting and transparency on the financials, practice management side - modernize the communication with patients via a certified HIPAA portal -achieve complete compliance to government quality standards (e.g. Meaningful Use, MIPS, etc....) -active online / offsite backups - instance access to alternate (live) server should downtime ever be experienced (for me, only twice in over 8 years)

MedInformatix

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

The overall package just overwhelmed the competition at the time.
Colleen

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

Athena review

For the most part excellent. Upgrades and updates seem to have slowed down and I think Athena has leaned more on the Market Place Vendors and less on enhancing included offers. I have made suggestions over the years and have given up as I do not feel the suggestions postings are something that Athena has been able to keep up with.

Pros

Claims scrubbing software. Our claims go out clean and are paid quickly. Support with MIPS. Reporting capability. Athena Text messaging. Versatility, software runs on any device. Athena text messaging. Monthly account manager calls and metrics. Partnership. Ease of creating order sets and working in clinicals. Market place partnerships are great and enhance the software and functions. Not afraid to be disruptive and things up looking for best and innovative practices.

Cons

Collector and Communicator insurance card copy do not communicate. Hoping one day soon you will be able to interface with EPIC. The reporting is so good that sometimes I need more support to ensure I am selecting the correct criteria.

Prime Suite

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

User friendly, partnership, and overall program functions. Collector (claims scrubbing software), reporting, training, training/test site and learning portal. I had an on boarding team with Athena and my practice. The support and time we took to on board were invaluable. I loved Athena's Mission, values and vision. The MV&V was once on business cards, I really liked that, not sure what happened and haven't checked to see if it changed.
Kimberly

Reviewed on 9/10/2019

Medical practice--My way

AthenaHealth EHR is an affordable way for a small practice to have a quality EHR. I pay a percent of my collections. I like the tie between what I get paid determines what Athena gets paid. That gives Athena a healthy interest in my business' financial performance.

Pros

I love that I have the ability to customize my order sets and templates. I also like that I can draw on the expertise of other medical practice templates so that I didn't have to re-invent the wheel in many instances!

Cons

Sometimes there is a hesitation in changing "pages". It is a cloud based software so my local internet and the internet where the software is located do play into the speed of use.

Donna

Reviewed on 20/07/2016

Better than the rest

Our practice has been using Athena for our practice management software for over 10 years and we implemented the Athenaclinicals EMR in 09/2012.

Pros

Athenaclinicals has made Meaningful Use a manageable task by providing us with resources such as a checklist, status list and recommendations to meet Meaningful Use. Also they stay informed about the latest regulations and changes so that we can focus more on treating our patients and managing our practice.
The billing functionality has definitely helped improve our A/R as well as assist us in tracking encounters to ensure we bill everything our providers do.
Their credentialing functionality has also been helpful in assisting with enrollment and credentialing verification.
The EMR and charting functionality is very comparable to other available software.

Cons

The biggest issue we have run into in the past year is with regards to customer service. Athena has changed the way they handle issues that cannot be resolved by your initial CSC call. The only way to "speak to" or contact the people working on your issue is via Athena email. Unfortunately, this leads to miscommunication, confusion, frustration and delays in resolution.
Completing certain tasks are more cumbersome than necessary, at least based on the opinions of our providers and staff. They feel they have to click more "buttons" and complete more "steps" to get to their end result eg. check-in, processing documents, charting.
Athena has so many different features and functionality that it is difficult to make sure you are utilizing the software to it's fullest capabilities for your practice and specialty.

Ann

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

Sea change

When we selected athenaOne, we requested an (unreasonable) implementation within one month. They (appropriately) warned that this was not recommended but went along with us and WE DID IT. There were definitely issues that had to be addressed going forward but it was accomplished fairly quickly and smoothly and we were moving onto process improvement within the two months of implementation. We did identify and make improvements. Implementation for our Ortho group was 3/1/2019 and for the GYN group was 5/1/2019. In 10/2019, our accountant reported that we were better than we had been in 20 years! This is the sea change that occurred. The amount of clinical work and number of patients was not significantly different and despite high staff turnover, a location change, and a new EHR, the improvements that we were able to identify and implement moved us from being underwater to riding a wave of success.

Pros

The most important features of athenaOne which have produced a SEA CHANGE for our practices are 1) easy access to demographic, clinical, scheduling and billing information regardless of your role, 2) remarkable and rigorous data collection and report functions that allow optimal decision-making and tracking of business functions, and 3) an optimal platform for developing and implementing PROCESSES which improve efficiency, reduce human work and reduce human error.

Cons

The only thing I don't like is that I don't optimally use all of the features because I haven't learned what they are yet! We have been using athenaOne for a little over three years and there are still a large number of features and processes that I could implement or use in our small practices. There is always a better way!

Sheena

Reviewed on 16/02/2017

5 Star Review

Our office went live with Athena Communicator and Collector in September of 2013. We had previously used 2 other billers and schedulers/management systems at that point and I have to say we are all glad that we chose Athena. The customer service department and our implementation team were beyond helpful. We appreciate that Athena is ever changing, and always looking to improve the ease of business and quality of care. As we know, no product is ever perfect, but Athena comes pretty darn close. The team at Athena actively listens to concerns and suggestions from their customers. I have dealt with many companies who "understand your struggle" but can't do anything about it or "are very sorry, but that's just the way it is". Athena, is NOT that type of company. They have interactive message boards that you can talk to other practices having issues and also Athena team members, so together a plan can be created to alleviate the problems you are having. Not to say EVERYTHING can be as perfect as you want it, but there have been enough changes in Athena where the direct action was taken from a concern or complaint that makes us as a customer feels valued and understood. A real testament to Athena should be that we looked at their Clinicals product in 2013, but our provider didn't see enough of what he was looking for to change from our current EMR to Athena Clinicals at that time. However, at the end of 2016 we revisited the idea and did some more demos, the Clinical product has changed so much (in a good way) that we have chosen to switch and are looking at implementation in March of 2017. All of our office staff and our providers feel that Athena is a solid product that helps us streamline our workflows and provide better patient care. We are very excited to embark on our next Athena journey and couldn't be happier with the products and support.

Pros

Ease of Use, Rarely any system downtimes or system issues, Receptive customer service and account managers, Transparency you can see everything that has happened and who did it

Cons

This product is the most costly that we have used, however, we have definitely made more in revenue by using Athena than not.

Meredith
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 26/01/2018

year 1 of pure and utter hell

i am so sick of apologizing to patients, looking like i am a moron and staying hours later ( sometimes 1am compared to previous (functional) ehr where 730pm was the record and i’d occasionally miss the gym before closing...now i have suspended the gym membership). do not get. if you have any standards and clicking boxes does not suffice for your standards, or if you expect reliability and functionality, this ehr will drive you mad!!!

Pros

it’s search feature was useful ONE TIME compared to our old ehr. ..the training team was nice and appeared competent. appreciate e-prescribing controlled substances WHEN IT actually WORKS AND ACTUALLY GETS THERE AFTER YOU’VE BEEN ALERTED THAT IT HAD!!!!!!!!!

Cons

I am facile in computers and code to some extent. i am picky about my notes but am creative and work around a lot of garbage and always have without as much as a groan and am considered quite agreeable. HOWEVER, the word ATHENA incites rage in me. portal doesn’t work. can’t preload notes until pt checked in. this is bad for new patients in my specialty. when highlighting text, it does not overwrite. you have to press delete and type. finding documents is a frickin scavenger hunt. 5 or 6 clicks before you can even start seeing a pt. viewing labs is torture. viewing med list is torture. documents get redirected capriciously when scanned. one hopes and prays an rx went through when it said it did. we have initiated a boatload of safety concerns to our quality department but get tired of doing it. customer support...god help me. portal does NOT work. can’t dispose of certain things on your dang list until weeks of dedicated manpower exhausted. when things supposedly fixed, they will not tell you what the issue was or how they fixed it AND IT STILL DOESN’T WORK. Feedback on labs from provider ( and pretty much anything) involves an archaeological dig to unearth. reminders for appointments via text cannot be adjusted so for a 15 min earlier arrival ( thus pts get rather upset)...i’ve been told of billing quirks (it was supposed to be our savior or something). communication with other healthcare systems blows as no one else was stupid enough to get this. problem lists are imported from the previous (functional) ehr and translated into things like “rage and unsocialized behavior in an adult” when original dx was something like “anger issue”...leaving some pts in tears before you talk them down...some documents sent to you are never received. so hard to differentiate to a pt the origin of an error. you look like you don’t know jack to a pt when using this ehr saying things like (after several deep breaths)...” if they said they sent it, it’s very possible they did; however i do not see it ...i would recommend that they mail the document to me as if they fax it, it will be hijacked by the system....here is an addressed, stamped envelope for them to send it in...i greatly apologize for the delay this has caused in your treatment.”.

JANETTE

Reviewed on 21/06/2016

Doing very well with athenahealth as our EMR

Pros

I like that athenahealth is always getting ahead of new changes in the medical community so that we are easily transitioned into, say, ICD 10. I like that athenahealth is really pro-active in helping the medical practices to streamline their office to meet these changes head-on without fear of being left hanging out to dry on, say, getting paid on time. I like that athenahealth provides you with a terrific support group of CSC folks who will take your calls or read your questions/inquiries and find the answers for you. I mean, honestly, I usually don't have time to go and look for the answers myself in the library and training videos (although for those who do have the time, these are great tools) so I am so very, very glad that I have a great support team behind me. I like that athenahealth allows us to share medical information for our patients, after their consent, to other medical practices and/or hospitals easily because the patient's medical care is the most vital aspect in this service community. I like that athenahealth is really very respectful of the fine line between helping the practice flourish and not stepping on toes or overstepping their role.

Cons

Lately, when using the message board for asking questions that aren't too urgent, I find that the response takes more than a couple of weeks. It used to be that the turnaround time was a week at the most. When the response is so late, I forget what my questions were and I have to go back to re-investigate so I can resolve the issue. I've read a lot of other posts about calling in and being put on hold for a long time. When we first started with athenahealth, I did not have that trouble and I was calling upwards of 10x a day on a daily basis for a while. Lately, I rarely call but thankfully, I haven't been put on hold for more than 5 minutes. And I still do like having the ability to call when my question is urgent and I can get the help I need right away.

Christina

Reviewed on 14/02/2017

Look at all EMR/EHR options

We have been with Athena now for about 5 years. This is the first and only EMR I or my staff have experience with so we have nothing to compare it to. As with anything, Athena has its pros and cons. When you call customer service, hold times are typically short and you speak to helpful people. When we first started, and up until recently, Athena was very easy to use, intuitive, and everything was at the tips of your fingers, as far as the chart and scheduling, until they implemented what they call Streamlined. It's not streamlined, at all. It's terrible. It is very difficult to use, to find documents, and it's not easy to use or intuitive. And they force you to label documents which are very time consuming and our office doesn't benefit from it. Streamlined has slowed down everyone from the doctors to the administrative staff. It has added an additional 5-8 minutes to tasks. When referring patients to other doctors it was extremely simple until streamlined. Now it is extremely difficult. Check in takes way to long with the many many clicks you must do. They have changed the insurance packages and combined many that shouldn't be and it makes it very difficult for claim follow up and to run reports. The billing aspect is a bit more difficult, always has been. You must watch the posting team of Athena. They make many mistakes, such as billing the contractual write off to the patient, double posting payments, repeatedly asking for information like the log in info after its already been provided, not posting remits that were sent to them, posting to the wrong accounts, writing off balances that are payable without you knowing. You get the picture.

Pros

Pleasant customer service reps
Athena will submit claims

Cons

Time consuming
Posting team makes many errors
Not user friendly
Charting is very difficult
Intake is time consuming

catherine

Reviewed on 1/03/2018

truly the easiest EMR/billing system to use

5 years ago, during the quality reporting for reimbursement, Athena made it so simple and easy that i was shocked to learn that it took a fellow friend 2 months to complete her reporting where it took me 30 minutes. providing patients with detailed information on their insurance benefits and the life of claim creates better communication and cohesion for the clinic/patient relationship. as a provider, the easy customization for templates, use of templates and the ability to actively follow medical orders (referrals, lab orders, pharm scripts) and their order created-results received "circular completion" making quick response corrections easier as well. having online doctor information, calculating by type of physician, practice, distance from your location and easy searches is a delightful feature for scribes and physicians alike. i have used an number of EMR systems, web-based and online, and this is by far the best i have ever used.

Pros

from the clerical input, insurance checking/info response, patient input, dx order features, sign off and the visual, detail of the LIFEspan of a claim, orders require "circle completion," the ease of quality reporting requirements...i could go on an on with the amazing functionality features of this program.

Cons

it is expensive, but it eliminates the need to hire for areas of administration. what I would pay for 1-3 people to do, Athena provides an entire team of people, thus creating a quicker turn around time for appeals, the need to call insurance companies. the implementation period is overwhelming, and going live will make you question yourself and your desicion. but, so worth it.

Brook

Reviewed on 5/10/2021

Very dissappointed

Poor. what else can i say? If you had a question, you were routed to someone in pakistan who knew little to nothing about your billing but would read a paragraph they were given to tell you. It was silly.
Seriously, most of you know all billing companies kinda suck. But this is one of the worst. Athena was the main reason I closed by private practice. I considered switching billing companies, but I just got tire of dealing with it. Take my advice, DO NOT use AthenaOne for billing. The EMR portion is soso, middle of the road. Billing portion is 3 thumbs down.

Pros

not what it was advertised to be.
was also told that data migration would be seamless if i left; turns out I cant migrate anything. "termination team" still has not been assigned despite notice given to leave 3mo ago

Cons

Athena did a good job on selling me that all billing would be handled and I would need to put very little effort into this aspect. It couldnt have been further from the truth. In actuality, I needed to hire a full time biller to review the deficiencies created by Athena. The billing process is not run by billers, it is run by a software program. charges sat in a "bucket" until the charges were no longer valid due to untimely billing. I lost out on so much billing its sickening.

Reviewed on 2/05/2017

Frustrating!

I started working w/Athena in Aug 2016. Since then our Admin has been advising me to call or web chat, search online & use the search features Athena has to offer. I have NEVER gotten a question resolved by calling. I end up walking the "helper" through the features & page. This was very upsetting. I've been put on hold for 20 minutes at a time while an "advisor" looks up a solution in their manual. As a result, I hung up in frustration. I then received an e-mail confirming my problem had been resolved. What a joke! That seems like it is just to appease the numbers needed. There are no training manuals, no courses to take & definitely nobody to teach a person how to use this program. A rep. who no longer works for Athena set us up years ago. This is not geared towards a specific practice, which is even more frustrating. Hopefully, you can respect the time I took to write this review & improve your program. It would be great to receive training as well, or at least an instruction manual.

Pros

billing features are simple; insurance program automatically runs insurances to see if they are active

Cons

I've been in Ophthalmology for over 15 years. As a scheduling manager, the features are not user-friendly, as I have worked with 4 different programs. Look to NextGen for template applications & features. It would be great to implement them to Athena. There are color coded columns, ability to apply templates over templates without taking out exception days, ability to write a VISIBLE book note at the top of the doctor's schedule to alert the schedules, etc. Also, the features include looking a multiple doctors schedules at a time and even ability to view several different books or multiple doctors!

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

Athena makes my job mostly easier.

Pros

The workflow of Athena is excellent and uses common sense. E-prescribing, integrated fax, communication among office employees is a must.

Cons

There are a lot of steps to go through from chart completion to claim submission. Sometimes it feels like there is a lot of double work happening.
Athena does not know much medical terminology and often tells me that I am misspelling things when I know them to be correct.
I wish that the dictation portion were free.

EpicCare

Reasons for Choosing athenaOne

Claim management. Practice growth.

EpicCare and EHR 24/7

Reasons for Switching to athenaOne

Cost and ease of implementation.
April

Reviewed on 24/08/2016

Streamlined is a Bad Product

Pros

It is cloud based.

The Resource Hub connects you with other users that help you devise work arounds to handle the issues with the software.

Cons

The Classic Version was very customizable, easy to learn, easy to use. The Streamlined Version is a washed down version of what their Classic was. Their idea of Streamlined is to limit the customization ability, to make each office workflow the same despite specialty and to code the program to look more like an App. You will be encouraged to post suggestions on an internal board for updates and changes but even if hundreds of users agree with you that won't mean they will make a change. You lose a lot of control. There are issues with offshore posting and you will not be able to talk to someone about these issues. The training is all videos that are not specific to your office type. Account managers change often and will route you to call the Customer Service Center instead of answering questions. The reps at the Customer Service Center after often nice enough but the internal training seems to be lacking because you are often waiting weeks for an answer to something and/or something that is obviously a big issue is disregarded and you will be told that it is working as designed. The streamlined roll out, support, and willingness to work with the clients is disappointing to say the least. They took a decent product and they wrecked it and give no option to delay or keep the product that actually worked right. Also there is no tech support for their patient portal which has a lot of issues and my practice fields a great deal of phonecalls from patients who have trouble accessing it.

Tamara

Reviewed on 19/07/2016

functional but time-consuming EMR

Had a previous EMR from 2008-2014 that was much more pediatric-specific and pediatric-friendly. Had to make a switch when Meaningful Use happened, and Athena seemed the best of the options. It is not nearly as peds-friendly, and there is MUCH more clicking every day, every hour, every encounter. Whereas moving from paper to EMR originally sped up my work, moving from our first EMR to Athena did not speed things up and seems overall to slow things down in fact.

Pros

smart lists that know what orders might go with what diagnoses
ability to remind patients of next appointments, vaccines, etc.
ease of creating reports about anything
integration of Portal with EMR

Cons

no "office view". This is the single most frustrating part about Athena. In our old EMR, I could easily see what patients were in what room waiting for one doctor in the office all at once. THat's not possible with Athena, and without that, I will never feel completely happy with the system.

I also hate how difficult it is to quickly look at recent visits, because the "Visits" tab includes phone calls, and other "encounters" that aren't the same as visits.

The new streamlined version makes taking care of quality parameters impossible because of the time involved to click and wait on each one. (In the previous version, I could click on everything that was satisfied outside of Athena and then save it at once). Now I just ignore that tab due to time.