AdvancedMD EHR Reviews

About AdvancedMD EHR

AdvancedMD is a unified suite of software solutions designed for mental health, physical therapy and medical healthcare organizations and independent physician practices. Features include practice management, electronic health...

3.3
3.4

Browse AdvancedMD EHR Reviews

Reviewed on 23/01/2018

AdvancedMD is an integral software in our practice

Pros

The best feature for me personally is the ability to work on my iPhone and iPad. I am extremely busy and not always able to sit at my desktop to work so this feature is crucial for me.

Cons

It was a bit difficult to learn how to customize templates the way I prefer but once you get the hang of it, it's fairly easy to work with.

Alexandra

Reviewed on 17/01/2023

Highly Customizable EHR

I really like the software and the providers I work with do too. It just takes time to ramp up.

Pros

I love how customizable the software is. It works for any specialty. This makes it great when working with multispecialty practices that require a lot of different features for each provider. There are many ways to do the same thing so the flow can also be customized.

Cons

Since it is a blank slate this can be intimidating for a lot of providers and it is hours of work to get perfected. It is expensive for AMD to build the templates so it falls on the staff. The prebuilt templates are not great. Learning the software is really difficult and I only know a handful of providers that can utilize the custom features. However, once it is set up it is fabulous. Investing time in the software is what is going to make it amazing.

Dr

Reviewed on 30/09/2022

Do NOT Buy!!!!

I should have listened to my gut and stayed with Athena. They suck too, but at least we got paid and the functionality was more intuitive. We're going back as soon as we can!

Pros

We liked the idea of having an easy way to communicate with one another about patients.

Cons

1. Buggy and slow program. Doesn't work well on Chromebooks.
2. Chart files located in different parts of the software so you have to log in to an entirely different system (the practice management) from the clinical side. Ridiculous!
3. Implementation was the WORST. I paid $5000 to these people to design chart templates (and I sent photos and details, no less) and they still screwed it up royally. Online forms still do not port over to the patient's chart, and I just found out it has to be done MANUALLY in 2022. FAIL.
4. Patient facing appointment scheduler not showing all appointments
5. Billing is slow and follow up is practically nonexistent. We have to institute all back end follow up.
6. No ability to easily input referring physicians

Top AdvancedMD EHR Alternatives

Casey

Reviewed on 10/01/2024

Highly customizable system

Pros

Highly customizable to your practice and specialty. Our account representative, [sensitive content hidden], has been great over the years and is very responsive to our needs and always finds a solution for us!

Cons

There are several different ways/processes to do the same thing in the system. This can be great, because each person thinks differently and can achieve the same goal. However, this makes it difficult to train and have consistent processes because there are so many different ways to do one thing.

Response from AdvancedMD

Thank you for taking the time to leave the review.

Replied 11/01/2024

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

My review

Very good

Pros

That it can be customized -- to a point -- to my practice.

Cons

Many things can not be added or changed unless done through the company -- and if it is not on their list of changes it may never happen. It is also not as intuitive to use as one would hope.

athenaOne

Reasons for Choosing AdvancedMD EHR

NextGen was extremely expensive and required FTEs just to run it. It was gangly and eventually was costing us more than it was helping us.

NextGen Office

Cost.
Brandy

Reviewed on 22/12/2022

Worst Ever

Worse EHR I have ever used

Pros

Nothing the service, training, functionality, cost , and use worst I have ever used with a EMR

Cons

Advancemd is far from Advance. They do not have good trainers. The trainers didn't even understand the system. And definitely don't contact help desk cause they know even less. I never got my old patients records sent to their system because the person who should do it just didn't kept asking the same questions we answered from the beginning of service for over 5 months. Then when I attempted to cancel no one responded to my emails then when they did it was 10 days after I sent the email when I would have put me at the end of the month I canceled. So because they waited to respond they decided to charge me another month of service. I tried speaking to Two lower level managers who did nothing but ignore emails or just didn't listen. Their names [SENSITIVE CONTENT]. Don't expect anything but unprofessional behavior. I called corporate and to speak to upper management , well let's just say I'm still waiting for a return call. I asked them to not charge our office credit card I would pay a different method for my final payment they definitely charged it so don't expect your privacy or bank account to be respected. All features were hard to use or find.

Brian

Reviewed on 12/11/2023

Brian S. Review of Advanced MD

Pros

Ease of use. All in one scheduling and EHR.

Cons

Occasional tech glitches, but usually quickly resolved.

Response from AdvancedMD

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave the review.

Replied 28/11/2023
Anita

Reviewed on 18/02/2021

Not good.

Absolutely hated it. We ended up going with another practice because they never were able to give me what I asked.

Pros

Pros are it is very customizable if you know how to code and create a system for yourself

Cons

They don’t know dermatology at all.
Simple stuff we asked was super complicated and we never got what we truly needed.
Nothing was built in. It’s more for scheduling and not for EHR.

Reviewed on 23/02/2021

A Decent All-Around Documentation Tool

Overall, it worked fairly well for what we needed from it, and was more user-friendly than a couple programs I used in the past (whose names I can't recall). On the other hand, software bugs were common, and were harmful to productivity. Customer support was relatively helpful when needed.

Pros

Every employee can use the same program, including both medical and counseling personnel. This integration means everyone can reference notes as needed from both sides. The note templates (text fields, drop-down lists, tabs) can also be changed by administrators as needed and as preferred, so if, say, a counseling assessment is found to likely benefit from new questions, those can be added as new text fields.

Cons

In constant daily use, bugs were common. Sometimes AdvancedMD wouldn't play nicely with Chrome, and the cache and cookies had to be reset. Other times, a note that may have been started while online wouldn't be savable if the internet went off then back on. The settings and personalization for users could be difficult to find, understand, or to make certain organizing oe aesthetic changes that would helpful.

Kim

Reviewed on 6/02/2024

Billed forever

Not designed for solo practitioner. Some of the med record design folks were inexperienced and rude

Pros

Relatively easy to learn , integrated well with escripts/billing

Cons

6 months after retirement, they keep billing me after multiple calls. The files you must retain after coding are almost useless

Response from AdvancedMD

Thank you for taking the time to leave the review. I would love to help resolve the billing issue that you're having after retirement. My email is [email protected]. Please reach out to me there so I can locate your account and help resolve the issue.

Adam

Replied 12/02/2024
Alison

Reviewed on 11/03/2022

Awful experience, Please save your time, money, and stress for patient care!

Absolutely traumatic, exhausting, and awful!

Pros

The mobile app. That is about the only thing I liked.

Cons

complicated self made implementation and template, list, info creation. I thought I paid someone to do this, but I had to do it all. It took months.
So expensive. Server is slow, poor customer service, no one could help me get claims to payers and I didn't get paid for months causing a SEVERE financial burden on my family, and despite my complaints, they locked me out when I didn't pay them but I hadn't gotten $.01 in payment to be able to pay my personal bills let alone their bill!

Tebra, DrChrono, athenaOne, ChartLogic EHR and Azalea Health

Reasons for Switching to AdvancedMD EHR

The sales rep was great. He made it seem a cut above the rest during the demo and it seemed like it would work. And it might for a large practice with a huge team. But they have no business taking advantage of small business owners, charging that much to underdeliver and cause financial stress and hardship!
Brittany

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

Awful experience

Pros

I like Nuemd and I thought this would be an easy transition; however the service is NOT the same and much worse.

Cons

Transfering to Advamced MD was the worst decision I made. I had countless issues with the billing department and patient statements are ALWAYS wrong. I had to do double the work just to correct the mistakes Advanced MD created. Patients would call upset because they were getting statements in the mail stating they had balances, when in fact AdVanced MD was not posted EOB's correctly. Now I am stuck with paying thousands of dollars every month with a company that causes me more issues, which requires more time.

Quentin

Reviewed on 6/09/2016

Like the PM/EHR (even with pop-up ads), avoid Billing Service.

Pros

There is more functionality built into the reporting side than we will ever use. We're a small practice (1 provider) and in terms of the software (PM and EHR), it exceeds our needs in functionality in almost every way. The user interface is a bit cumbersome (and now includes pop-up medication advertising, which is annoying...) in our setting (Family Practice), but not too complicated. The system up-time has been impressive. In the last year, I don't recall more than 2 brief interruptions, the longest of which was about 1/2 of a day and corrected by the next AM when we returned to work.

Cons

There are a couple of significant downsides to Advanced MD, particularly the Billing portion of our service. Keep these things in mind if you're a small practice looking for a comprehensive software package (PM/EHR/Billing): Advanced MD is expensive relative to other comprehensive packages out there. I called to ask for a reduction, and was told that they would like to raise the rate to 9% because our monthly net income was lower than the average. They didn't raise it, but it set us out to explore other vendors. Not one competitor has quoted us over 6% for the same services. And not every vendor has a monthly minimum. We also receive pop-up medication advertisements in our patient EHR. Advertisements in our patient charts for medications... I called tech support asking about the ads shortly after they started and was told, "We can't remove them, they're part of the software." ]It seems surprising to see ads pushed in the software. Aside from the price and pushed ads, the software works well. The billing service, not so much. We had been using Advanced MD for over 1 year before we were given a person to contact for issues related to our service. They gave us an Account Manager a little over a month ago. In general, if you can deal with the forced advertisements within an expensive software package, don't require assistance or guidance aside from internet videos, you will do well with Advanced MD software. The same can't be said for the billing service, but for most practices, I would imagine that is a separate issue and expense. We chose to bundle and it is evaluated as such. If you just stick to the PM/EHR, even at the price, I think it is a decent software package.

Julia

Reviewed on 17/01/2018

PM is great, EHR is just okay

Overall, I am very happy with the PM and "2-3 out of 5" happy with the EHR. Once you become familiar with the difficult quirks, it just becomes second nature. However, what is "second nature" for me now would be appalling to someone who is familiar with a most customizable, more user-friendly EHR.

Pros

The scheduling part of Advanced MD is so intuitive. To move an appointment, just click, select "move", and click on the date and time you want instead. I like how you can customize the time intervals, color code appointment types, and assign each a default length of time. Adding a patient is easy. Making billing notes, sending messages/tasks, entering patient info, are all quick and simple. There are nice features in the EHR, such as being able to pull in medication history from a national database, look up pharmacies, customize acronyms and use pull-down menus to drop in often-used phrases.

Cons

Actually customizing the templates is quite difficult if you have not been formally trained by Advanced MD specialists, which costs extra. Trying to figure it out yourself online via training videos is next to impossible because it is not customized to your situation. Also, finding training videos to answer specific questions is also near impossible. In order to print a note out, you have to select a "WordMerge" option from a menu, then click several times until a word document opens up, which you can THEN print. Far too many clicks just to print out a note, in my opinion. I have not found a simple way to print out all of a patient's notes, so I end up repeating this process many times when an entire medical record is requested -- VERY time consuming. Advanced MD offers all sorts of conferences and trainings, but they all cost outrageous amounts of money, and most are in a location where you would have to travel to get there. I wish training was more accessible and not so costly. I wish creating templates were more intuitive and more easily done by a regular run-of-the-mill user.

Curtis

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Poor Customer Service Response Time After Purchase

Overall I'm ok with the functionality of the software. My biggest problem is with the ongoing support by the sales team. The customer service that you call to deal with software related issues is ok and tends to do a decent job, but when it comes to doing things like adding on services, providers, etc and having to deal with our "account rep" this is where the communication and follow up is not acceptable at all. An example is that today, I was told our insurance verification portal would be turned on. I scheduled training this afternoon with my entire office staff. I communicated this several times this morning, even telling them that I could cancel and reschedule the training if it wasn't going to be ready. They never even bothered to respond and when the designated training time arrived the portal still wasn't turned on, even though I was told all they had to do was "flip a switch" on the back end. This ended up causing a total waste of my entire office and back office staff's time. Very frustrating!

Pros

The price was good, the functionality was acceptable.

Cons

The note templates are often difficult to customize and once done tend to have bugs that cause our providers frustration.

EpicCare and Kyrios ChMS

Reasons for Switching to AdvancedMD EHR

Price and speed of set up, at the time.
W Lawrence

Reviewed on 16/07/2022

Confusion on Steroids

There is no technical support at night when the system has been changed or it has severe bugs, usually after an update. All suggestions have to go into a blog and there is no way to discuss the implications and needs with the designers. When tech support did get involved, frequently they did not know how to solve a problem.

Pros

The note design feature is robust and easy to use but the fields are very limited in function and size.

Cons

The system is very laggy with unreasonable delays and frequent server failures. The system will frequently shut all open windows down and give you an internal error. The prescription system is NOT friendly for behavioral health and our unique needs. There is no way to just change a dose on a medication, the entire drug has to be searched for again. The visible information is confusing and does not agree between the three medication access areas. It is impossible to delete a prescription that you write and sign but do not print or send. Auto-expire is confusing as it does not send the information to the pharmacy. You cannot change all of the prescription pharmacies at one time, you have to go into each one and change the pharmacy if the patient wants to go somewhere else. You cannot split a 90 day prescription into three 30 day prescriptions such as controlled substances when the insurance company only pays for 30 days at a time. You have to create three separate prescriptions. They will update the system in the middle of the week and it will be buggy and cause you to shut down operations. This is only the start of all of the issues I have experienced.

Michelle

Reviewed on 31/03/2023

Too unreliable and pricey

The support is good from time to time. There are plenty of times I've spent 2+ hours on the phone with support without a resolution. The support staff is inconsistent. They would rather keep you on the phone for hours than ask a supervisor for help. I've had issues with the scheduler where we collect payment which has forced us to move to another system. It's totally inconvenienced our practice and messed up workflow when their system goes down for long periods of time. I've had issues with e-prescribing on multiple occasions.

Pros

The EHR is fine itself. It has plenty of features.

Cons

The product is very expensive and unreliable. It is very glitchy and not the most user-friendly for our therapists. We've gotten several complaints from them. The software has a lot of potential but there are too many little nuances that make it inefficient and difficult to use. Currently, my schedule is down and this is how we operate and collect copayments. Unacceptable for it to be down for extended periods of time like this without proper notice or warning. We rely on this software to run our practice.

Brian

Reviewed on 24/10/2017

Overall good billing software program

I am extremely disappointed in Advanced MD customer service. I have been using the product for about 8 years. They market the product as costing less than provider which is not accurate. I have 3 providers in my office and I have to pay /month. They admit to their mistakes in the software codes, but refuse to work with their clients when Advanced MD's mistakes cause significant harm to a practice.

Pros

It will find errors on claims prior to submitting them to insurance carriers. It allows for macro billing which saves data entry time

Cons

There are too many "add on modules" that you must purchase in order to get the functionality out of the program. There customer support is below average. We purchased an add on module that wasn't functioning properly. We noticed this 1 week after purchasing the module and made Advanced MD aware of the errors. It took them about 5 weeks to shut the program down and it caused financial harm to my practice and also upset many patients. The software was texting/emailing patients up to 16 times in one day. It was a significant error in the software code and Advanced MD refused to act quickly to shut down the module. In addition, Advanced MD continued to charge me monthly for the module even though it wasn't working correctly. They refuse to provide a solution.

Linda

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Advanced MD is adequate

It was better in some ways for us (pediatrics) than our previous software. So far I have not found a great pediatric practice management software application.

Pros

It's pretty easy to learn. They have many videos and their tech support is pretty good. They do not outsource support which was important in choosing this software.

Cons

Most of the time it's very slow. We don't use the EHR part and only the practice management side so I don't know if that would make a difference.

Shannan

Reviewed on 6/12/2017

Great Experience, Fantastic Support

Pros

Any time I have had an issue or a question on how to make something work for our needs the support personnel at Advanced MD / EHR have stayed on the phone and walked me through my question until I understood everything, they would then even make suggestions on how to make it more efficient. They always seem to go the extra mile every time you need them. The whole system from the support team to the software is easy to use and very multi-functional.

Cons

More detailed Advanced MD manual with step by step instruction on how to do things with out calling support, for example the exclusions tab in the Claims Center. It would be nice to have more detailed information as to how to fix the issues and when you need to delete and re-enter a charge after making corrections. The EHR is great as it is but having the ability to "lock" or "secure" an account completely, due to a patient requesting nothing be given out to anyone at anytime.

Melissa

Reviewed on 9/08/2019

Best software yet

Generally positive, I wish the support line was available in WEST COAST time zone till 5pm or later, when questions would arise during the 1st year of implementation, and they were closed when we needed the most support.

Pros

The billing is exceptional to track payments and aging report

Cons

the telemedicine integration and lack of customer support for the clients I had. The clients had struggles navigating the online tele video conferencing and AMD did not help the clients, thereby they couldn't help me to connect with clients and visits were delayed and transitioned in sheer frustration to phone calls which were not reimbursed by the insurance. I have since quit using the tele med option and have a new platform and all my clients are happy and I am billing insurance effectively.

Shaun

Reviewed on 15/11/2023

Best Medical Billing Platform

We have found the AdvancedMD billing and EHR to be the most advanced billing platform, extremely intuitive and easy to learn and use, and the training and support provided by AdvancedMD is top notch!

Pros

The platform features, functionality, and ease of use. Training and Customer Service is excellent!

Cons

There is nothing about the platform or the service that we have found to be negative. We have no complaints and have found no "cons" with AdvancedMD!

Response from AdvancedMD

Thank you very much for taking the time to leave this review.

Replied 28/11/2023
Inna

Reviewed on 18/03/2019

STAY AWAY FROM ADVANCE MD

Customer service is horrible, you would wait for 30 min for help and as result they will not help you. They will put you on hold for every question you will ask them and for my experience they rarely solve a problem same day. Prepare to spend 2 hours without result. I opened case month ago and I am not sure when Advace Md resolve my problem. It is very frustrating.

Pros

Advance Md has ONLY decent PM system which is a billing. It's very easy to navigate and use the system.

Cons

EMR system is bad. You cannot scan documents as PDF directly from EHR, the only option to scan from EHR is TIFF program. By scanning through the TIFF creates problems, such as, printing your document in a half. The only way to scan as PDF is from PM system which has many steps to do your job. Advance Md works on this problem for 2 years and still didn't accomplish anything.
Nothing is in Alphabetical order, basically you would scroll up and down, till you find the right folder.

Patty

Reviewed on 22/06/2017

Satisfied Long Standing Client

We have been a client for many years are very satisfied.

Pros

Having been a client for many years we have been through the "growing pains" with this company. Overall it has been a favorable relationship. AMD is always improving on the client experience. Initially I was not excited about the feature of having to create "online cases" for issues/questions/problems due to the concern for turnaround time. Overall this has turned into a positive experience as I no longer spend time calling the client line for support and the response time with a resolution is usually within 24 hours. Having an assigned Relationship Manager who is very attentive to my specific office needs has been extremely helpful.

Cons

All software companies have there issues AMD is no different but I cannot identify one specific area that I would deem a "con".

paul

Reviewed on 26/06/2018

Advancedmd- Switch from Practice Fusion

It is a bit overwhelming to switch over to a product like this, but I think is well worth the effort in the long run. The support and training teams have been excellent and very responsive. They gave me a very low price /month as a solo practitioner, since I won't be using a lot of it's more advanced features.

Pros

Price point very competitive, especially for a solo practice
Combines EHR and complete Practice Management/Billing software- fully integrated with clearinghouse
Support and training are excellent and VERY comprehensive. Lots of videos to watch plus 10 hours 1:1 with a trainer. If you are a solo practitioner, it is possible to use this program yourself and not have any staff.
Mobile APP for iphone/ipad is excellent. Very easy to schedule a patient on the fly, register a new patient, etc. with an iphone.
They offer a credit card billing module that works great with co-payments.

Cons

There is a substantial learning curve. The product is well designed and very complex- what medical record/billing system isn't. I have used Medisoft for years and had Practice Fusion as a separate EHR. Combining the two should save a fair amount of money and time. Everything is in the cloud (is this better or not?). The training is extensive and very good, but there are 100's of features in this program. It is really made for an office with several MD's, nurses, front staff, etc., but you can have the program custom set up for one user and not use a lot of the features (such as check-in, check-out, auditing accounts, etc.)